IGNORED

Anna Duggar - Merge

bunnybunz

If you have a high deductible health insurance plan you have to check all line items. Hospitals do add on ridiculous costs.

My Mom, who had great insurance checked her bill out regardless. About 30 years ago as she was checking out of the hospital post BC surgery & a week stay, she mentioned she had a headache as she was checking out, so they gave her 2 (over the counter)Tylenol. It showed up as 20-30 dollars on her bill.

I don't know how that translates into inflation & today's economy, but she was pissed enough to call the hospital & get that removed on a matter of principal. She could afford 20-30 dollars, but was not going to pay for that.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this concept sounds very compelling. But it won't make the costs go down, on the contrary, it will just reduce the quality. This is a very interesting article on the matter: mises.org/library/how-medical-boards-nationalized-health-care

Why would single-payer reduce quality when many countries with single-payer systems provide better medical care than the US?

I know this concept sounds very compelling. But it won't make the costs go down, on the contrary, it will just reduce the quality. This is a very interesting article on the matter: mises.org/library/how-medical-boards-nationalized-health-care

Take your anti-Semitic, racist, extreme right wing "research" and shove it down your craw. The Mises Institute epically fails at anything even remotely like economic theory or historical fact.

reddit.com/r/EnoughLibertarianSpam/comments/28o7wx/not_content_with_failing_at_economics_the_mises/

Why would single-payer reduce quality when many countries with single-payer systems provide better medical care than the US?

Because the GOP told us so.. It is idiotic, if they repealed the ACA all hell would break loose. Who would continue to support then? Extreme gerrymandering & voter suppression can only do so much.

What I find interesting and may quiet the right wing down is that insurance companies are making more money since this was enacted.

1. It really depends on what statistics and opinions you consult if those countries really offer such better health care. Depending of who made the statistics, and which factors are included and how they are weighted, the results vary. Here is an article for example which shows a different opinion about the British health care system which is favored by many single-payer proponents (forbes.com/sites/scottatlas/2013/07/05/happy-birthday-to-great-britains-increasingly-scandalous-national-health-service/)

2. The main reason why the US healthcare system is so expensive is because of corporatism and overbording bureaucracy.

In fact, I wouldn't even rule out that a sound single-payer system would work better than the current corporatism (which has nothing to do with a free market system by the way).

This article shows some mechanisms: mises.org/library/how-medical-boards-nationalized-health-care

Unfortunately, I don't think it's realistic to achieve that. The lobby groups will be way too strong and will fight for their privileges. Unless some miracle happens and more transparency, less bureaucracy and more real competition will be achieved by the single-payer system, the mess will be just bigger than before.

Take your anti-Semitic, racist, extreme right wing "resea

rch" and shove it down your craw. The Mises Institute epically fails at anything even remotely like economic theory or historical fact.

reddit.com/r/EnoughLibertarianSpam/comments/28o7wx/not_content_with_failing_at_economics_the_mises/

Some people on this board react like raging fundies if their views are challenged. I'm waiting for the other insults to come in. :lol:

You do realize that Ludwig von Mises was a Jew, right?

Some people on this board react like raging fundies if their views are challenged. I'm waiting for the other insults to come in. :lol:

You do realize that Ludwig von Mises was a Jew, right?

I'm reacting in horror that you think they are a good source on anything.

The Mises Institute is neo-Confederate and pro-Axis. Neo-Confederate, as in they believe the South should have won the war and slavery was a good thing. Pro-Axis, as in on the side of the Nazis in World War II. So, pardon my French, but it is possible for a Jew to be an anti-Semite. They're bigots.

There are plenty of non partisan sources for research on health care, if you are so inclined. As for myself, I'm not interested in the "research" of biased bigots.

Edit: grammar.

I'm reacting in horror that you think they are a good source on anything.

The Mises Institute is neo-Confederate and pro-Axis. Neo-Confederate, as in they believe the South should have won the war and slavery was a good thing. Pro-Axis, as in on the side of the Nazis in World War II. So, pardon my French, but it is possible for a Jew to be an anti-Semite. They're bigots.

There are plenty of non partisan sources for research on health care, if you are so inclined. As for myself, I'm not interested in the "research" of biased bigots.

Edit: grammar.

Where are your sources to these allegations? And while I don't agree with everything, they have several renowed authors and university professors, who might not cater the mainstream opinion, but offer a different perspective.

This article I posted shows some mechanisms which illustrate some reasons why the US healthcare system is so expensive.

1. It really depends on what statistics and opinions you consult if those countries really offer such better health care. Depending of who made the statistics, and which factors are included and how they are weighted, the results vary. Here is an article for example which shows a different opinion about the British health care system which is favored by many single-payer proponents (forbes.com/sites/scottatlas/2013/07/05/happy-birthday-to-great-britains-increasingly-scandalous-national-health-service/)

2. The main reason why the US healthcare system is so expensive is because of corporatism and overbording bureaucracy.

In fact, I wouldn't even rule out that a sound single-payer system would work better than the current corporatism (which has nothing to do with a free market system by the way).

This article shows some mechanisms: mises.org/library/how-medical-boards-nationalized-health-care

Unfortunately, I don't think it's realistic to achieve that. The lobby groups will be way too strong and will fight for their privileges. Unless some miracle happens and more transparency, less bureaucracy and more real competition will be achieved by the single-payer system, the mess will be just bigger than before.

There is no "British" health care system: there are four, one for each of the constituent nations. Although they're based on the same premise, they operate independently. NHS England, for instance, outsources a lot of its functions to for-profit NHS Trusts, while NHS Scotland does. That article seems to be using England, Britain and the UK interchangeably, which suggests the author is using NHS England for his arguments and isn't aware that it doesn't apply to the rest of Britain and the UK.

ETA: I'm not trying to pretend the NHS as a group is perfect (Medicine Balls is my favourite Private Eye column), but I don't find that article terribly compelling. I do, however, agree the US might have some problems with capitalist ideals and I can see it using a Trust system, which is just a bad idea.

Wow, those costs are insane!

I have had 3 children and haven't paid for anything.

All scans, tests free. Hospital stays free. Gestational diabetes kits and education free.

My 3rd child was born with special needs. We were flown to a different town for bowel surgery and bith stayed in that hospital for 5 weeks for free.

Flown to another town for heart surgery, stayed with her, again free.

She had speech therapy, hydro therapy and a physio/developmental therapist come to the house every fortnight - free

She was given a supportive high chair, orthotics for her shoes and numerous therapy equipment - free

Our country may have some faults, but im feeling extremely grateful right now!

In the U.S., your actual cost really just all depends on your health care insurance coverage. Which is why that is such a high-profile issue.

My husband is retired U.S. Military. My kids are ages 8 & 5. Both of my hospital births ...age 38 and 41...with certified nurse midwives...were after hubby retired. We are covered by his military (Tricare) insurance.

First birth was relatively uncomplicated but medicated, second was very complicated...I developed pregnancy-induced hypertension with BP 200/100, needed monitoring in-hospital, he ended up a c-section and was close to 12 lbs at birth. Both kids healthy with great apgar scores.

We paid nothing for either birth except for my meals in-hospital...something like $12 a day. And a $20 or so co-pay for all my midwife visits at the OBGYN office, which were many. Tons of labs while pregnant, all were paid for in full.

I don't know how people without health insurance do it. My grandmother told the story of how she met my grandfather in a bar and was attracted to him over someone else because he was a New York City Sanitation worker and therefore had great benefits. Health benefits make a HUGE difference. :D

On a side note, I worked in the health insurance industry for a long time, starting out in the late 60s. I learned that, before the 60s, health insurance carriers would not cover childbirth. Their position was that they paid claims resulting from "illness or injury" and childbirth was not an illness. They seemed to be on firm ground because childbirth is a natural thing and if it goes routinely, it is not an illness. There was a lot of pressure put to bear on the industry and they were forced (don't know if was by mandate or public pressure) to include the costs associated with both childbirth and care of the newborn.

Is it possible the Duggars have insurance through TLC? Until their show is cancelled, they might still be covered, in which case the cancellation might be postponed until Jessa and Anna give birth. TLC has made a mountain of money off this family. It's the least TLC can do before outright cancellation.

If TLC has been fronting their insurance, Pa and Ma Duggar might want to take their whole litter to the doctor and the dentist for all elective treatments ASAP. The "little ones" probably won't be getting things like braces as teenagers once it all comes out of JB's pocket.

TLC isn't going to cover insurance. TV shows don't cover insurance for the "talent". Real actors get insurance through SAG after they have worked enough. Reality show people would get their own insurance. They are more of independent contractors. Think about it, Jim Bob was always bragging about having the catastrophic insurance only. It's unlikely they have regular insurance.

Have we considered that Josh may have had his own insurance (ala JB) prior to moving to DC and didn't accept coverage offered by his employer?

Also due to the complexities of the IRS if you want to get full benefit of tax refunds (and don't tell me that JB doesn't take full advantage of that) you sort of have to provide proof of insurance coverage or pay the price so to speak thanks to Obamacare and associated rules.

Have we considered that Josh may have had his own insurance (ala JB) prior to moving to DC and didn't accept coverage offered by his employer?

Also due to the complexities of the IRS if you want to get full benefit of tax refunds (and don't tell me that JB doesn't take full advantage of that) you sort of have to provide proof of insurance coverage or pay the price so to speak thanks to Obamacare and associated rules.

I really think the Duggars skirt the rules on just about everything. In the last month or so we learned that Josh had a tax lien in AR and also that JB and M skirted the justice system in terms of Josh's behaviors. Remember, they've often mentioned how they're different and do not do things quite the same as most families. Someone even posted info on the lawsuits the Duggars have been involved in and wasn't a hospital in the mix for Michelle, for services rendered at the end of 1992, a time that would have coincided with Jessa's birth?

In their own minds the Duggars are above it all. They are scam artists. It's why they had no difficulty going on Fox news with MK and making complete fools of themselves. THEY THOUGHT THAT WE WOULD BUY IT.

I absolutely hate when idiots think that they are smarter than everyone else or that we buy the crap that they spew.

TLC isn't going to cover insurance. TV shows don't cover insurance for the "talent". Real actors get insurance through SAG after they have worked enough. Reality show people would get their own insurance. They are more of independent contractors. Think about it, Jim Bob was always bragging about having the catastrophic insurance only. It's unlikely they have regular insurance.

Not trusting a single syllable that JB speaks, the Duggars must have some form of insurance. 40 grand an episode wouldn't cover all the tooth work, hospital bills and regular check ups for 19+. For that matter, Mama June couldn't have paid out of pocket for the various ailments and hospital visits for her family. I don't even think the Roloff's could afford it, though they probably have some form of insurance through one of Matt's mysterious jobs (talk about another TLC family with poorly educated, intermittently working, adult children.) And holy moly! Mr.Sister Wives sure ain't working, nor are his wives anymore, so they aren't carrying the insurance on their tribe.

This leads me to think that TLC has something set up for it's reality stars for health insurance. It would be a protection of their investment in these people, after all. We can't have the ravages of being uninsured witnessed on one of their right wing messenger shows, now can we.

Not trusting a single syllable that JB speaks, the Duggars must have some form of insurance. 40 grand an episode wouldn't cover all the tooth work, hospital bills and regular check ups for 19+. For that matter, Mama June couldn't have paid out of pocket for the various ailments and hospital visits for her family. I don't even think the Roloff's could afford it, though they probably have some form of insurance through one of Matt's mysterious jobs (talk about another TLC family with poorly educated, intermittently working, adult children.) And holy moly! Mr.Sister Wives sure ain't working, nor are his wives anymore, so they aren't carrying the insurance on their tribe.

This leads me to think that TLC has something set up for it's reality stars for health insurance. It would be a protection of their investment in these people, after all. We can't have the ravages of being uninsured witnessed on one of their right wing messenger shows, now can we.

Actually, this leads me to believe the opposite. Why would lawyers and accounting at TLC want to get involved with all these circus acts? Their liability would be prohibitive, I'd imagine. No one out there would EVER want to be involved with bills as impressive as Josie and Michelle's. Some of these shows involve some devoted breeders -- the Duggars and the Browns alone would make any accountant sweat. I'd think that TLC would take steps to keep their empire safe from their pets.

Exactly. TLC has got to be amazing at covering their asses at this point.

I'm sure if JB could have figured out how to sue TLC by now he would have.

Jill isn't currently licensed as a midwife in AR, or as midwife apprentice...

I don't think it would matter who's licensed. It's too easy to say "she had the baby so fast, there was no time to get her to a medical center". As long as everyone sticks to the story (and they will) and the baby is totally fine, no one will be penalized.

I'm fairly certain where they are, there are plenty of folk who will barter or simply do the service as a kindness to the family or to Anna.

Is it possible that JB and all his "enterprises" have made him independently wealthy enough that he can cover at least this baby until the golden child regains his footing? I mean, we are talking about a fairly healthy young woman in her prime...thus far she's had no issues popping one out. So even if they were looking at a minimal hospital visit after the baby is born at home, maybe he would just foot the bill.

edited for grammar

This may be off-topic at this point, but I find myself having an affinity for Anna. I don't watch the show beyond clips online. But I find her to be the a very likable person. It may just be because she's married to a big honking child molester.

Is it possible that JB and all his "enterprises" have made him independently wealthy enough that he can cover at least this baby until the golden child regains his footing? I mean, we are talking about a fairly healthy young woman in her prime...thus far she's had no issues popping one out. So even if they were looking at a minimal hospital visit after the baby is born at home, maybe he would just foot the bill.

edited for grammar

Yes, imo.

Yes, imo.

I'm sorry, I'm sure it's been mentioned a few times. The threads move so fast it takes a while for me to catch up.

I'm sorry, I'm sure it's been mentioned a few times. The threads move so fast it takes a while for me to catch up.

Don't apologize. I'm eating while I post, so I was a little abrupt. I think JB can cover this birth easily, especially if they don't go to the hospital.

Archived