IGNORED

'Cause I am tired of hearing that Jana has no interest in MW

nolongerIFBx

I was certain that I had seen exactly the opposite of what many had been stating- that Jill wanted to be a midwife and had dragged an uninterested Jana along as a chaperone. Actually Jana expressed an interest in midwifery before Jill ever did!

Jill is at 4:55 and Jana at 5:03.

:twocents-02cents:

The obv question then is why hasn't Jana become a midwife? She hasn't had to make wedding preparations or whatever other garden variety of excuses Jill made.

The obv question then is why hasn't Jana become a midwife? She hasn't had to make wedding preparations or whatever other garden variety of excuses Jill made.

Good question. Maybe after seeing a few births she decided supporting the mom was more her thing than "catching the baby" (there, Michelle, that's how you use that phrase in a sentence!). I don't know, but it isn't like she never had any interest in assisting at births.

Because she has been too busy raising her parents' other children? Or because she's been too busy taking care of their home and cooking for 20 people? Or maybe she wound up losing interest in being a Midwife recently and wants to focus on something else? Or maybe her parents have been preventing her from earning her certification because it would mean she could earn money on her own (no matter how little that might be)? Or maybe, like Jill, this is just something she happened to be interested in and is strictly meant to be a pre-marriage activity?

Long story short, there are a bunch of reasons why. I've always found it tough to believe that Jill forced Jana into anything - if anyone forced anyone to do something it would have been their parents.

Jana would have been relatively young at the time. Maybe she said she wanted to do it because her parents wanted her to do it. Many children at that age want things because they think their parents want it or want their parents to be happy. Since midwifery is one of the few acceptable options for a female in her world maybe she thought that's is all she would be allowed to do. As she got older she changed her mind or realized it was ok to voice an opinion that was different than her parents.

*I changed my mind many times for a career path. I actually ended up doing something completely different than what I thought I would be doing before high school.

I watched the video. It lists Jana's future occupation as midwife and Jill's as missionary. How much exposure to midwifery had Jana at that point? Was she really interested or was that just something to put down?

I understood that Jana accompanied Jill in the role of doula, not midwife.

I doubt Jill co-erced Jana into any of it while I am just as certain JB&M probably made them do this as a team.

I don't take that video for anything more than a 16yo, sheltered from the world girl putting something down as an occpuation - maybe Jana had some interest in MW way back when, but if she has a current interest in it, she certainly has more room to pursue it than Jill does.

Poor Josh. He put down attorney. Must be a bitter pill to live and work in a part of the country that is rife with them. Forever on the outside.

I watched the video. It lists Jana's future occupation as midwife and Jill's as missionary. How much exposure to midwifery had Jana at that point? Was she really interested or was that just something to put down?

I understood that Jana accompanied Jill in the role of doula, not midwife.

I doubt Jill co-erced Jana into any of it while I am just as certain JB&M probably made them do this as a team.

I don't take that video for anything more than a 16yo, sheltered from the world girl putting something down as an occpuation - maybe Jana had some interest in MW way back when, but if she has a current interest in it, she certainly has more room to pursue it than Jill does.

Poor Josh. He put down attorney. Must be a bitter pill to live and work in a part of the country that is rife with them. Forever on the outside.

I wish that Josh would go ahead and pursue his dream- although it is just as possible that his dream has changed. But he can go to BJU and get into an accredited law school. He just needs to want to and know that it might take longer than 7 years since he also will have to work to provide for a growing family. But if TLC would film "Josh Goes to College" and he got the payment from that, he just might be able to go full-time. But, hay, I had the ability and finances to go to school long before I finally did it, so I can't judge him too harshly.

It's because she's already a very busy and accomplished concert pianist, of course!

I was certain that I had seen exactly the opposite of what many had been stating- that Jill wanted to be a midwife and had dragged an uninterested Jana along as a chaperone. Actually Jana expressed an interest in midwifery before Jill ever did!

Jill is at 4:55 and Jana at 5:03.

:twocents-02cents:

Early on one place showed each of the kids "career" ambitions. All the girls picked Gothard approved "careers" and midwife is one of the few on that list.

Early on one place showed each of the kids "career" ambitions. All the girls picked Gothard approved "careers" and midwife is one of the few on that list.

I just wonder if Gothard approves "attorney" and again, how would Josh really have any idea of that, growing up in that very sheltered lifestyle.

He knows now. Josh is no dummy, he has figured out that education and schooling mean something, and what attorneys do over there in the Washington area.

I have always assumed Jana was genuinely interested in it and just changed her mind. I think people took it a little far by assuming she was dragged there against her will by Jill.

IMO, Jana did always seem truly interested in maternal/child health. I think she probably still is - she clearly loves babies and seems into the "natural mom" kind of thing. But not everyone who is interested in that stuff is necessarily cut out for midwifery. A lot of people really do not handle the blood and gore and panic working in a high-stress environment.

I went through about 4-5 different possible career options that I THOUGHT I wanted in my late teens and early 20s before really finding the best fit. Sometimes you think you'll like things and you don't, and I always guessed that was the case for Jana with midwifery. I mean, I really thought I wanted to be a science teacher, and in my mind it seemed like the perfect thing for me to do at the time. I loved science, I loved kids. It took less than 6 months of my teacher licensure program to realize I HATED it.

I wish Josh would go towards his dream of becoming a lawyer too if that is still a dream of his. And Jana..she would excel at whatever she desired to do if allowed and supported by her family.

I have always assumed Jana was genuinely interested in it and just changed her mind. I think people took it a little far by assuming she was dragged there against her will by Jill.

IMO, Jana did always seem truly interested in maternal/child health. I think she probably still is - she clearly loves babies and seems into the "natural mom" kind of thing. But not everyone who is interested in that stuff is necessarily cut out for midwifery. A lot of people really do not handle the blood and gore and panic working in a high-stress environment.

I went through about 4-5 different possible career options that I THOUGHT I wanted in my late teens and early 20s before really finding the best fit. Sometimes you think you'll like things and you don't, and I always guessed that was the case for Jana with midwifery. I mean, I really thought I wanted to be a science teacher, and in my mind it seemed like the perfect thing for me to do at the time. I loved science, I loved kids. It took less than 6 months of my teacher licensure program to realize I HATED it.

I'm 28 and I STILL don't have any idea what I'm going to do as my long term plan. I've gone through about as many career "options" as a 3 year old. :p

I'm 28 and I STILL don't have any idea what I'm going to do as my long term plan. I've gone through about as many career "options" as a 3 year old. :p

I think that's very normal, though. Even once you know what you WANT to do...that doesn't necessarily mean you get it! And you can change your mind or find new goals and passions whether you are 20 or 60. I don't think it ever really stops.

I am actually job hunting right now, so I should be careful when I say I "know what I want to do," LOL. I will jinx it for sure. But trial and error is good, IMO. Sometimes the best way to really know what you want is to figure out what you DON'T want. Unfortunately for Jana, midwifery is just about the only job she is "allowed" to have, so trying it and hating it basically means she won't have any job at all. Unless they hired her at IBLP or she starts shilling essential oils and cloth diapers. :roll:

I remember that video--it doesn't really change anything though. She was a teen with zero exposure tohat anything, put on the spot and asked what she wanted to be when she grew up--midwifery, as one of the very few options available to her, probably sounded good to her then. I think the fact that she really never mentioned it as an adult until she trained as a doula to be Jill's accountability partner, and them promptly dropped it as soon as Jill did, speaks volumes. I'll never forget the look on her face during that birth they showed on the show (with Jill catching the baby and Jessa taking pictures)--Jana absolutely did not want to be there. I'm sure she's a nice person but she's not warm--being an emotional support person for hire is not a good fit for her.

I remember that video--it doesn't really change anything though. She was a teen with zero exposure tohat anything, put on the spot and asked what she wanted to be when she grew up--midwifery, as one of the very few options available to her, probably sounded good to her then. I think the fact that she really never mentioned it as an adult until she trained as a doula to be Jill's accountability partner, and them promptly dropped it as soon as Jill did, speaks volumes. I'll never forget the look on her face during that birth they showed on the show (with Jill catching the baby and Jessa taking pictures)--Jana absolutely did not want to be there. I'm sure she's a nice person but she's not warm--being an emotional support person for hire is not a good fit for her.

100% agree. It was a canned, teenage answer, probably prompted by her parents. That video of the birth they attended was telling. Both Jana and Jessa seemed liked they wanted to bolt from the room.

No gotcha at all, IMO.

I'm thinking it would take ol' Joshy longer than 7 years if he wanted to be an attorney. How many freshman level classes would he be eligible to take? How would he do on math and English placement tests? Does he have any skills in algebra or can he test into statistics? He has basic business math skills from the car lot, but college math? Can he structure the basic 5 paragraph essay? Yes he can give long speeches, but he has help with those I'm guessing. I think he might be in some remedial classes before those Eng 101 and Eng 101 eligible etc classes.

EDITED TO ADD-- Wasn't Jill's original job wish to be a nurse?

I remember the looks on Jana's face when Hannie was being born. Jill was smiling while Jana's face just said *yuck*!

Are you sure that *yuck* face wasn't because she knew that poor kid was being named Johannah?

Maybe, but she did look genuinely uncomfortable with being there.

It's the same look she had when Jill was going bonkers over her wisdom teeth surgery.

I'm thinking it would take ol' Joshy longer than 7 years if he wanted to be an attorney. How many freshman level classes would he be eligible to take? How would he do on math and English placement tests? Does he have any skills in algebra or can he test into statistics? He has basic business math skills from the car lot, but college math? Can he structure the basic 5 paragraph essay? Yes he can give long speeches, but he has help with those I'm guessing. I think he might be in some remedial classes before those Eng 101 and Eng 101 eligible etc classes.

EDITED TO ADD-- Wasn't Jill's original job wish to be a nurse?

Eh, as a person who was a real dunce at math growing up, and a horrible student with some pretty severe learning disabilities I find college is easier as an adult. I was able to take some basic non credit online courses to catch up and it really was very doable and quick they were about 4-6 weeks. I think if Josh wanted to he could do the same. I don't think he is stupid, and I think his expierience with a car dealership means something.

Josh might be able to test out of freshman classes, and there are universities that will give credits for life experience. I doubt he'd have to do 4 for undergrad and 2-3 for law school, he'd probably be able to get his undergrad in about 2-3 and then do law school like everyone else.

Maybe, but she did look genuinely uncomfortable with being there.

It's the same look she had when Jill was going bonkers over her wisdom teeth surgery.

Or it could have been that it was the first time Michelle involved the kids (if I remember correctly) and Jana really wasn't comfortable seeing her mom like that. I know I wouldn't have been, even if I was interested in being a midwife.

In one of the episodes that showed Jill and Jana going to one of the home births for their classes. They did a talking head where Jana very clearly said that she was as into it anymore as Jill was. She most definitely had a change of "heart" ..... ;)

Josh could never be an attorney. It would require trying to see something from another person's point of view.

Archived