IGNORED

women in America shunned for driving

FundieWatcher

http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-01-22/im-woman-america-and-i-wasnt-allowed-drive

When I read the title it guessed it would be a fundie polygamy community or some Jewish sect. It is an interesting read.

Frimet Goldberger is *amazing*. One of the rules of the Satmar sect is that women have to shave off all their hair and wear wigs. Here's her story about the last time she shaved off her hair. It's heartbreaking but it was the impetus for her and her husband to leave Kiryas Joel.

http://forward.com/articles/187128/ex-h ... ved/?p=all

http://www.pri.org/stories/2015-01-22/im-woman-america-and-i-wasnt-allowed-drive

When I read the title it guessed it would be a fundie polygamy community or some Jewish sect. It is an interesting read.

From the article:

Growing up, it never dawned on me that driving was a possibility. No woman in my family or neighborhood ever did. We were taught that our tznius, our modesty, would be at stake. But I think there’s something else. For Hasidic women, being banned from the wheel means being tied to your husband and to your community. Driving gives you the keys to freedom and independence.

Huh? I understand the idea of not letting women drive so that you can control where they can go, but how is driving itself immodest? Unless you've got some kind of fetish-mobile that requires you to steer by a transvaginal wand and the brakes work by flashing your breasts, I don't get it.

From the article:

Huh? I understand the idea of not letting women drive so that you can control where they can go, but how is driving itself immodest? Unless you've got some kind of fetish-mobile that requires you to steer by a transvaginal wand and the brakes work by flashing your breasts, I don't get it.

They probably consider it 'immodist' because driving requires a woman actually think and heaven forbid a woman think for herself! :roll:

They probably consider it 'immodist' because driving requires a woman actually think and heaven forbid a woman think for herself! :roll:

In Saudi Arabia, the reason seems to be that driving allows women to go all free-range and become "whores." Because, of course, having sex outside the bounds of marriage is the WORST thing a woman can do. It might indeed encourage her to start thinking for herself.

I remember asking about the reason for this when I was on imamother, and the only answer was "it's not done in our community, the rabbis have ruled that it's forbidden." They couldn't explain WHY it would be forbidden - some took guesses, but most had no real idea of the reasoning behind the original rule.

I think I remember reading something about women driving is Saudi Arabia. One of the reasons that women aren't allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia is because it shows part of their arms and is therefore immodest.

In most of these extreme cults, women are valuable enough that

it's important to take away their

ability to get away. It's the same in the FLDS and any of those restrictive religious cults.

In most of these extreme cults, women are valuable enough that

it's important to take away their

ability to get away. It's the same in the FLDS and any of those restrictive religious cults.

That makes sense, in this case. According to one online source I read (Wikipedia?), this group has about 113 men per every 100 women.

Maybe I should send these clowns the video of me on the speedway today...Laps for Las Vegas Children's Charities. I was behind the pace car and the way it works is that if you keep up with the pace car (which is a high performance, late model car like a Challenger, Camaro or Mustang), the pace car will speed up. Well...I was right behind a Saleen Mustang and hit about 110 on the straightways.

I'd love to watch them shit bricks...

PS...I own a 2004 Mustang GT that's been seriously modified...

What great articles, thanks for sharing. Google is fascinating. Even the parks for children are sex segregated. Red benches and equipment for little girls, blue for boys. Imagine growing up like that. It is also officially the poorest place in the US.

I live near KJ and there is a lot of stuff going on IRT them trying to expand and build high density housing where it's not zoned, blockbusting in neighborhoods they are moving into. Our realtor was very careful to keep us away from that, as what has been done to the schools near them is awful as well.

I live near KJ and there is a lot of stuff going on IRT them trying to expand and build high density housing where it's not zoned, blockbusting in neighborhoods they are moving into. Our realtor was very careful to keep us away from that, as what has been done to the schools near them is awful as well.

East Ramapo? Or other towns as well?

One of the rules of the Satmar sect is that women have to shave off all their hair and wear wigs. Here's her story about the last time she shaved off her hair. It's heartbreaking but it was the impetus for her and her husband to leave Kiryas Joel.

http://forward.com/articles/187128/ex-h ... ved/?p=all

Thank goodness her husband sided with her. It would have been so much harder if he was against her instead of being supportive.

I knew it was the Szatmár people... I just knew it. I used to be studying different cults and I'm already somewhat familiar to certain groups' habits. I don't see any chance for them to ever change, either.

[dir=ltr][/dir]

I just spurted tea on my keyboard, thank you for the laugh!

Archived