IGNORED

Amy & king dill pickle

Milly-Molly-Mandy

I don't think cousin Amy is besties with her cousins, despite what's said on show and shown on social media (although TLC hasn't been doing a very good job with the social media). Episodes featuring Amy have always come across a very staged. I have fundies in my family, and my side of the family is barely tolerated.

I think that she could be really close with some of her cousins (she doesn't seem to even try to pretend that she's close with ALL of them) and still have really staged episodes. The show is just really staged in general. And, they rarely bring Amy around anymore because they no longer need her to be "the normal one that makes the Duggars less scary." But, they still need to bring Amy around once in a while because fans of the show do want to see her. So, TLC just comes up with some useless thing to have her do in a useless episode and call it done.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm 27 and yes I still live at home. I work part time (weekends so I get the nice penalty rates) and study full time. I pay board, my own bills, such as phone and Internet, and half of the food our household consumes. I pay the same amount as I would if I lived on my own. What I don't have is stability. I am a casual worker but my hours are normally pretty stable. It's hard in my area for anyone my age to work the hours I do, generally they all go for juniors because they are so much cheaper.Occasionally something happens though. When retail goes down so do my shifts. At one point I went six months with only working 1 shift a week. Because I live with my parents they were kind enough to support me until my shifts went up. Without them I would have had to give up studying. Long term my prospects would have gone down.

Most of my friends live at home for the same reasons, even if they have full time jobs they don't feel secure enough in them to make the financial commitment of moving out. The few that have moved out have found themselves asking their parents for money. One friend's parents bought an investment property for her and her boyfriend to move into. While her boyfriend has a (low-paying) job she was studying with the help of government assistance. When she decided to take a 'sabbatical' it took her a year and a half to find a job. They supported her outside the home for the entire time and still often give her money. If it was me I would have told her to go back to Uni until she found one. Now she has a job, no degree and is having to pay off her HECS-debt (loan to the government for tertiary education). If she'd stayed at uni she would have graduated gotten a better job and they still wouldn't be supporting her.

And just so you know I would love to be living on my own.

I dont know... I don't think it is wrong of Amy to do what she is doing. It is quite normal in some countries to stay home until you are married. Also, she is fairly religious (possibly fundie lite?), so doesn't it make sense that she is doing what she has been trained to do? Wait for Prince Charming??

I dont know... I don't think it is wrong of Amy to do what she is doing. It is quite normal in some countries to stay home until you are married. Also, she is fairly religious (possibly fundie lite?), so doesn't it make sense that she is doing what she has been trained to do? Wait for Prince Charming??

So wait, a Jimmy John's closed down? What state do you live in? Jimmy John's was founded/is headquartered in my home area, and I was always under the impression that it was crazy popular wherever it went. I mean, I know they've had a lot of bad press lately, but still. And I agree, their pickles are just ok...a bit too mushy in the middle!

Is it "wrong" for Amy to stay at home, pretend that she wants a singing career, and dabble in part time child care while she waits for Prince Charming to arrive?

No.

Is it "wise" for her to fritter her 20s away like an aimless teen, with little work or (as far as we can tell) volunteer skills or experiences?

No.

What if Prince Charming never arrives (eh, Botkins?)

What if her parents have work/financial/health crises? What if they go into serious debt? What if the house isn't paid off?

I live in Michigan, and yeah, they are closing down because the store is being remodeled. It's waaaaaaay overdue.

The particular store I'm referring to is extremely busy and all othrr stores in the area are more likely to shut down permanently than we are. Still crazy popular..... Despite the bad press....

Really? Our pickles aren't usually mushy, just they have no flavor. I like me some GARLIC in my dill pickle. Or... Something besides just dill.

Ohhh, okay, so not permanently closing. The ones in my area are being majorly remodeled, too, because as you can imagine, the early original stores are pretty old compared to the new ones popping up everywhere. Indeed, it is crazy popular...I mean, I still eat it shamelessly...and as a local, I've heard all the JJ drama and then some. oh wells!

I like pickles on the very crunchy side, so it's probably just me. But I agree, I love, love, love garlic. Bring on the garlicky pickles!

Yeah, our store doesn't look bad comparatively, just is very claustrophobic. Though I'm told that whoever owns the land behind is isn't budging, so that probably won't change. Sigh.

I know where headquarters is, and yeah... The drama is completely off putting and one of the reasons I'm looking for a new job.

As a vegetarian, there's only 2 options. I think I might feel differently if I ate meat, but After I leave feel like I never want to see another jjs sandwich as long as I live.

I also think the 6 and 13 are missing something.... It's just a little bland... I usually end up bringing in my own sauces. It might just be me. Heh.

Yeah, our store doesn't look bad comparatively, just is very claustrophobic. Though I'm told that whoever owns the land behind is isn't budging, so that probably won't change. Sigh.

I know where headquarters is, and yeah... The drama is completely off putting and one of the reasons I'm looking for a new job.

As a vegetarian, there's only 2 options. I think I might feel differently if I ate meat, but After I leave feel like I never want to see another jjs sandwich as long as I live.

I also think the 6 and 13 are missing something.... It's just a little bland... I usually end up bringing in my own sauces. It might just be me. Heh.

I agree that some of the sandwiches are bland. I have been ordering a #5 with pep for as long as I can remember...everytime I try something else, I'm disappointed. But I love me some #5 with pep. I do appreciate the readily available lettuce wraps, since my husband is diabetic and a lot of other chains don't offer them.

The drama sucks, because I like the chain/general concept, but if I were an employee...I'd be looking for another job, too. It's a bit of hometown pride for me because it's one of few success stories from my area. I actually used to go to the original original store as a kid! It sits empty now, sadly.

Well, do you want the asinine sick policy, the 28 hour rule so as to avoid paying benefits because it's a "small business," or do you want to hear about hunting endangered species?

As far as drama goes, take your pick.

Eh ... I am sincerely sorry if I hurt any feelings here - not my intention. But I have to admit, I give major side-eye to anyone who is in their mid, let alone late twenties, and has never been on their own. Like, you should not be pushing thirty, and have no idea what the cost of toilet paper is, or how to set up an account for your utility bills, or how to stretch a food budget. If you are in school, okay. If you HAVE been out in the world, but are having a rough time (divorce, lost your job, etc), and need to go back, okay. Your family needs help (Gram has dementia, Dad has cancer, Mom is recovering from an accident), okay. It's really great that your parents can give you a soft place to land (and/or you can help out), and no one should begrudge you that. But just ... never leaving? And posting lots of pics on instagram of you spending money (eating out, fancy coffee, shopping, etc)? Sorry (not sorry), but to me that looks like delayed adolescence. I'm sure many people would like to postpone adulthood, but that's just not how life works. If I were a man, and interested in Amy (no), I would be EXTREMELY wary of dating her seriously - she seems like she would be entirely dependent AND unused to making a priorities-based budget. So, basically, if you ended up living together - all bills/lease in your name, all credit cards in your name, responsibility of providing is on you, etc etc. Can you imagine teaching a 28 year old that most of her income (if she has any) is no longer discretionary, because bills need to be paid? That cheap toilet paper will have to do? That you don't have a fully-stocked kitchen to choose from when you "save" money by cooking? What if she can't stand being alone - is she going to be waiting at the door when you get home, like a puppy.

This.

For real, if you don't have a good reason to be sponging off the rents when you're 28, get a job, move out, and become a productive member of society.

This.

For real, if you don't have a good reason to be sponging off the rents when you're 28, get a job, move out, and become a productive member of society.

The whole point, which some people seem to be missing, is that you can live with your parents and NOT 'sponge off' them. You can be a productive member of society and still live at home - or with roommates - or with your spouse - or on your own - or wherever. Is Amy a productive member of society who isn't sponging off her parents? Well, we can all come to our own conclusions based on what we see. But the point is that it's not fair to paint everyone who still lives with their parents with that brush, because it's emphatically not accurate. Look at all the people who don't live at home, yet prefer to live off of welfare or disability (obviously I'm not talking about people who legitimately need it), who continue to 'borrow' money from their family and friends without ever paying it back, who gamble and fritter away their incomes and declare bankruptcy, or who even sell drugs or steal to make their living. I'd rather be a 30-year-old living in my parents' basement, working an honest job, helping with the household bills and chores, and leading a decent life, than someone like that.

I work in a job where I come face to face with the consequences, day in and day out, of people who are out on their own and yet are most definitely not productive members of society. Yet many of these people are quite proud of the fact that they've been 'independent' since they were 18 or 20. So a 28-year-old who's a little immature, works part-time and still lives at home, but obeys the law, treats others with respect and kindness, and doesn't actively harm society, frankly seems like a positive thing to me.

To be honest, I was a much more "productive member of society" when I lived with my parents. Not only could I afford to pay for everything I needed, but I had the ability to use money towards things like volunteering or giving to charity. I also had a greater ability to save money. In a year at home, I saved over $4000 more than I've been able to on my own while making the same amount of money. Next year, with my pay changing, I might not be able to save any money. Dreams of one day buying a house are completely unobtainable until after I'm married, assuming that I marry a guy who makes enough money.

If my parents lived around here, I would very seriously consider moving back in with them. Because, frankly, I don't know how I'm going to survive next year.

I wonder if this "I wanna be a singer" thing is purely staged for TLC. Amy sure doesn't seem that interested... and it does make for a cutesy sub-plot.

this guy is either going to marry her, or knock her up while she's still a "duggar". that's my famy prediction for 2015.

this guy is either going to marry her, or knock her up while she's still a "duggar". that's my famy prediction for 2015.

Could you imagine if she DID get pregnant out of wedlock? We'd probably never see her on the show again (not that it would be such a bad thing)...

I hope she just gets married at last. And soon. I'm so sick of hearing about her constant relationship shenanigans. I know that's a bad reason to hope for someone to get married, but seriously.

Could you imagine if she DID get pregnant out of wedlock? We'd probably never see her on the show again (not that it would be such a bad thing)...

I imagine that they'd probably go with the "needing to save her soul, she's going to be a born again christian if it kills us" story line just as easily as the "never again will you step foot in this house while cameras are around" story line.

I hope she just gets married at last. And soon. I'm so sick of hearing about her constant relationship shenanigans. I know that's a bad reason to hope for someone to get married, but seriously.

This is exactly how I feel!

I think if she got knocked up, we'd see a lot of her - it would be the perfect opportunity for Jim Bob and Michelle to show their Christian forgiveness and love even if Amy has sinned. And Amy could do the whole "I don't believe in abortion/repentance for Jesus" story that right-wing people love.

Besides, Deanna's been on the show plenty of times, and she got pregnant out of wedlock.

According to her gingerbread house instagram pics, hes an architect? What else do we know about this guy? How did they meet?

She certainly does seem smitten with him, but we know how famy falls head over heels over anything that lasts more than a month.

I think if she got knocked up, we'd see a lot of her - it would be the perfect opportunity for Jim Bob and Michelle to show their Christian forgiveness and love even if Amy has sinned. And Amy could do the whole "I don't believe in abortion/repentance for Jesus" story that right-wing people love.

Besides, Deanna's been on the show plenty of times, and she got pregnant out of wedlock.

We would see even more of her if she decided to let Jim Bob and Michelle adopt the baby....

We would see even more of her if she decided to let Jim Bob and Michelle adopt the baby....

1. I doubt that Amy, having first hand knowledge of the family, would let her aunt and uncle adopt her baby (or even hold it for too long lol)

2. I doubt that Michelle and JB actually want to adopt. It's just something they say because people keep asking them why they only expand via pregnancy. Michelle LOVES that she can say she popped out every one of them. It's her calling card.

According to her gingerbread house instagram pics, hes an architect? What else do we know about this guy? How did they meet?

She certainly does seem smitten with him, but we know how famy falls head over heels over anything that lasts more than a month.

They've known each other for 5 years.

In one post she claims he is an architect but then in another says he owns this company http://www.wetinkdesign. net/ which is linked on his Instagram profile.

He drinks and he hunts.

Archived