IGNORED

Amy & king dill pickle

Milly-Molly-Mandy

Methinks Famy is playing word games when she desceibes KDP as an "architect." Yes, he designs things. But my father, who was an actual Architect, spins in his grave.

The Instagram pic with the booze (verified by his hashtag) is GOLD! I have no doubt that Famy also likes a nip or five, but can't be photographed with a drink in hand. Her "wholesome" reputation (for those who actually still believe THAT bill of goods) would be shot. Heck, there are still leghumpers out there who are having trouble processing the fact that Famy has had a never-ending string of boyfriends whom she lost pieces of her heart to.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Methinks Famy is playing word games when she desceibes KDP as an "architect." Yes, he designs things. But my father, who was an actual Architect, spins in his grave.

The Instagram pic with the booze (verified by his hashtag) is GOLD! I have no doubt that Famy also likes a nip or five, but can't be photographed with a drink in hand. Her "wholesome" reputation (for those who actually still believe THAT bill of goods) would be shot. Heck, there are still leghumpers out there who are having trouble processing the fact that Famy has had a never-ending string of boyfriends whom she lost pieces of her heart to.

RE: Bolded

My favorite thing I found in his stream. I want to see him, Derick, and in a few years Ben sitting around a table discussing the events of the day with a good drink in their hands.

I don't see Ben ever drinking anything. He's the kind of guy who would literally believe a 1950's hygeine video; the target audience for Reefer Madness.

That said, I'm surprised (and glad) that Amy found herself a guy who seems fairly normal. I thought I'd click on Instagram to see him guzzling Natty Ice and posing with his Glock.

I'm 27 and yes I still live at home. I work part time (weekends so I get the nice penalty rates) and study full time. I pay board, my own bills, such as phone and Internet, and half of the food our household consumes. I pay the same amount as I would if I lived on my own. What I don't have is stability. I am a casual worker but my hours are normally pretty stable. It's hard in my area for anyone my age to work the hours I do, generally they all go for juniors because they are so much cheaper.Occasionally something happens though. When retail goes down so do my shifts. At one point I went six months with only working 1 shift a week. Because I live with my parents they were kind enough to support me until my shifts went up. Without them I would have had to give up studying. Long term my prospects would have gone down.

Most of my friends live at home for the same reasons, even if they have full time jobs they don't feel secure enough in them to make the financial commitment of moving out. The few that have moved out have found themselves asking their parents for money. One friend's parents bought an investment property for her and her boyfriend to move into. While her boyfriend has a (low-paying) job she was studying with the help of government assistance. When she decided to take a 'sabbatical' it took her a year and a half to find a job. They supported her outside the home for the entire time and still often give her money. If it was me I would have told her to go back to Uni until she found one. Now she has a job, no degree and is having to pay off her HECS-debt (loan to the government for tertiary education). If she'd stayed at uni she would have graduated gotten a better job and they still wouldn't be supporting her.

And just so you know I would love to be living on my own.

Not true. You only start to pay back your HECS when you earn above the threshold. This is my third year working full-time since graduating and I've only just started to pay mine back.

I have no sympathy for Amy - I'm younger than her, married, working full-time and been living out of home since I finished uni. I've been working since I was 14 consistently, sometimes two jobs at a time. When I first graduated I didn't get a job in my field straight away - but I kept working at my other job until I got a full-time position. And I haven't even worked that hard compared to some of my friends. One girlfriend has 3 jobs and lives out of home. It can be done, but Amy is choosing not to.

Not true. You only start to pay back your HECS when you earn above the threshold. This is my third year working full-time since graduating and I've only just started to pay mine back.

I have no sympathy for Amy - I'm younger than her, married, working full-time and been living out of home since I finished uni. I've been working since I was 14 consistently, sometimes two jobs at a time. When I first graduated I didn't get a job in my field straight away - but I kept working at my other job until I got a full-time position. And I haven't even worked that hard compared to some of my friends. One girlfriend has 3 jobs and lives out of home. It can be done, but Amy is choosing not to.

I don't think anyone feels sorry for Amy - she clearly doesn't put much effort into anything she does. I think people are taking umbrage at the suggestion by many posters on here that any person who lives with their parents after their early 20s is automatically lazy and not pulling their own weight.

(edited for riffles)

Why do it if you don't have to and you don't want to? I mean whose arbitrary standard does she have to live up to? I think she comes across as a bit silly and immature, for sure, and God help her if something happens and she HAS to make it on her own - but I sure as hell wouldn't want to start working at 14, or work three jobs at the same time. Screw that. I'd rather bear the terrible shame of living at home and having some of my expenses covered by my parents - as long as the situation was working for everyone involved. That's the key. If there's no practical reason it all comes down to pride, and for some people living independently is not a source of pride.

Parents should not have to cover the expenses of their adult children. Obviously if the adult child is unemployed (not for lack of trying, but for lack of work), then that is different, but if an adult child has a job, then they need to live within their means, whether they are living at home or not.

I know this won't be a popular opinion, but:

Adult children who are living at home, should be paying a rent, or should be working out a trade for the privilege of living at home. Help with housework, cooking, laundry, etc.

Parents have already spent the past 25 years supporting their kids and so it is their time to get to build up their savings and also do some things they couldn't do before. Obviously there is nothing wrong with being generous with your kids, and gifting them with money here and there if you want, but no adult child should expect that, or plan their lifestyle based on that.

Now having said that, I see absolutely no reason why family can't help each other out in times of crisis. And like I said, if the parents are in a position to do so, giving generous gifts here and there are fine. For example, if my kid was buying their first house, I would love to gift them by furnishing one of their rooms. When my daughter bought her first car, I gifted her with a car payment on her birthday and also gave her a gift card to a local oil change business to cover a year's worth of oil changes, tire rotations, etc.

But my sister's daughter lived at home for 6 years, with mom and dad covering her car insurance, her credit cards etc, while she went on vacations several times a year to Cabo, Jamaica, and Belize. She moved in under the auspices of going back to school, but never actually did that. Her mom worked a second job, and her dad worked 2 years past his planned retirement because of the additional expense.

If adult kids want help with expenses, then they need to find a roommate to share expenses with and they need to live lean for a few years if needed.

Parents should not have to cover the expenses of their adult children. Obviously if the adult child is unemployed (not for lack of trying, but for lack of work), then that is different, but if an adult child has a job, then they need to live within their means, whether they are living at home or not.

Adult children who are living at home, should be paying a rent, or should be working out a trade for the privilege of living at home. Help with housework, cooking, laundry, etc.

Parents have already spent the past 25 years supporting their kids and so it is their time to get to build up their savings and also do some things they couldn't do before. Obviously there is nothing wrong with being generous with your kids, and gifting them with money here and there if you want, but no adult child should expect that, or plan their lifestyle based on that.

Now having said that, I see absolutely no reason why family can't help each other out in times of crisis. And like I said, if the parents are in a position to do so, giving generous gifts here and there are fine. For example, if my kid was buying their first house, I would love to gift them by furnishing one of their rooms. When my daughter bought her first car, I gifted her with a car payment on her birthday and also gave her a gift card to a local oil change business to cover a year's worth of oil changes, tire rotations, etc.

But my sister's daughter lived at home for 6 years, with mom and dad covering her car insurance, her credit cards etc, while she went on vacations several times a year to Cabo, Jamaica, and Belize. She moved in under the auspices of going back to school, but never actually did that. Her mom worked a second job, and her dad worked 2 years past his planned retirement because of the additional expense.

If adult kids want help with expenses, then they need to find a roommate to share expenses with and they need to live lean for a few years if needed.

I don't think your opinion is "unpopular." I think everyone who has expressed that they live(d) at home as adults has stated that they pay their way and/or otherwise support the family. And, of my friends who have lived or still live at home with their parents, they do the same thing. It's part of being an adult. Heck, even children should be helping to "support the family," that's what chores are for.

As for your sister, I think some of that is your niece and a lot of that is your sister and her husband. If you're enabled to continue acting like a child and get what you want in the process, you're not likely to see a reason to grow up. It's like when you're potty training a kid, if you start too late they're going to resist because why potty train, which causes you to stop having fun for the duration of the time you're on the toilet (or when you have an accident and need to leave because you need new clothes), when you can just continue having fun and someone will clean you up later?

Why on earth would you think that would not be a popular opinion? That's essentially the opinion that everyone in this thread has been espousing. Nobody here ever suggested that parents should be expected to cover their adult children's expenses, or that adult children should live at home without doing anything, not even chores. That's ridiculous.

So do we have any updates/news on Amy and KDP, for those of us not on. Instagram, Twitter, etc...?

Amy's only shared one picture of him where he looks like Eric Church in the last few days. Other than that the traditional "look what I did" pictures and a dog picture.

Why on earth would you think that would not be a popular opinion? That's essentially the opinion that everyone in this thread has been espousing. Nobody here ever suggested that parents should be expected to cover their adult children's expenses, or that adult children should live at home without doing anything, not even chores. That's ridiculous.

I was referring to the post above mine where someone said they saw nothing wrong with living at home and getting help with their expenses from their parents. That was what my post was about.

To be honest, part of my reaction has to do with my oldest's announcement of doing a year of volunteer service after graduation in May. She is joining a well respected organization and will be doing admirable work, but her living stipend is very small and there is just no way she can make ends meet on that amount of money. Her idea is that her dad and I will subsidize her income but the truth is her brother is starting college next year and we will have a sizable chunk of change going to his tuition and room and board.

I admire her doing some service work, I really do, but I am annoyed she has accepted this position without discussing it with us, especially if she was assuming we could help her out. SO I am feeling a bit conflicted. I want to support what she is doing, but I honestly can't do much for her financially. We may cover a car payment here and there and we can keep her on our insurance for a few more years, but that is really it. She is going to have to get a part time job in addition to the other work she will be doing. She will have to get a roommate and learn to live on less. ON the one hand, I think that is what you should be doing when you are 22 years old, on the other hand, I wish I could afford to give her 5 or 6 hundred bucks a month to help her manage.

• 3 months later...

I've been trying to find out more information about Amy's boyfriend Dillon King and failing.

I know he owns a company but I can't seem to find any records for it. (This may be because I'm from the UK)

So I was just wondering what information we have on him, like his age etc? Can anyone help me out?

Archived