IGNORED

Pope says Christian fundamentalists no better then ISIS

doggie

Man the shit just hit the fan and there will be a lot of fundy panties catching fire. Now fundies have proof Catholics are not christian :o

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/12/03 ... than-isis/

The Pope gave liberals an early Christmas Present this week, on a flight back from Turkey this week…by drawing a parallel between Christian Fundamentalists and Islamic terror groups such as ISIS.

When a journalist attempted to draw the Pope into yet another condemnation of the world’s 2 billion Muslims on the basis of the actions of a few thousand – the pontiff dropped a logic bomb.

“You just can’t say that, just as you can’t say that all Christians are fundamentalists. We have our share of them (fundamentalists). All religions have these little groups,†Pope Francis said.

With this succinct, unapologetic statement – Pope Francis has said what many of us, religious and not, have been quietly thinking for some time: Christian and Muslim fundamentalists have far more in common with each other than the rest of us.

Was it US Muslims or Christians that lobbied against legislation outlawing spousal rape? Answer: Christians.

Virginia Republican Richard Black argued against such legislation in January 2014, stating that a woman could not be raped by her husband because she had already given consent through marriage.

Was it Muslims or Christians that used the state’s legal system to allow corporations to remove female workers’ control over their own reproductive health? Answer: Christians.

The US Supreme Court, dominated by Christian Conservatives, upheld the rights of corporations to bar women accessing birth control through their health insurance plans.

Wow! Never in a million years would I have thought a pope would say that. He's absolutely right!

I'm not Catholic, but I'm liking this Pope more every time he says something. He's totally right about fundie Christians.

:cracking-up: :worship: :cracking-up: :worship:

I am so, so happy the Pope said this!

I have thought that for a long time! The extreme fundamentalists (of any religion) love to restrict rights to others or take away rights (usually women). I think what is worse is the number of women that are willing to take away their own rights. :pull-hair:

Fantastic!!!!! :dance:

Finally someone is standing up and saying that extremists of any flavor are still extremists. I can't wait for the fundie bloggers to start on this! :popcorn2:

Fantastic!!!!! :dance:

Finally someone is standing up and saying that extremists of any flavor are still extremists. I can't wait for the fundie bloggers to start on this! :popcorn2:

even catholic fundies are gonna scream persecution.

even catholic fundies are gonna scream persecution.

Yeah. I even saw one article referring to him as "a possible anti-Pope." (Anti-Pope: Someone claiming to be Pope even though he wasn't.)

This pope is the most in touch with issues confronting the Catholic Church right now.... my dad and I talk about him a lot... we are actually surprised he hasn't been killed by now.. it amazes us that the people who want to keep running things haven't found a way to get around him yet. I'm shocked that he was elected pope to begin with. Crazy pleased, but still shocked. If the Church can get behind his leadership, I think great change can happen.

That's really a stretch. He made a statement that every religion has a fringe group and shouldn't be judged by those groups. In no way did he equate fundies with ISIS.

:cracking-up: :worship: :cracking-up: :worship:

I am so, so happy the Pope said this!

I have thought that for a long time! The extreme fundamentalists (of any religion) love to restrict rights to others or take away rights (usually women). I think what is worse is the number of women that are willing to take away their own rights. :pull-hair:

You mean like the Catholic Church does by refusing to admit women to the priesthood, won't allow tubal ligation or vasectomies, won't allow birth control, abortions to save the life of the mother, things like that?

You mean like the Catholic Church does by refusing to admit women to the priesthood, won't allow tubal ligation or vasectomies, won't allow birth control, abortions to save the life of the mother, things like that?

Well walk into any Catholic church and I bet you won't see more than a couple of families that have more than 4 children. vasectomies, tubal ligation, IUD, the pill, etc are used by the majority of Catholics in the US. Abortions to save the mom's life do happen for Catholic mom's too. A lot more Catholics ignore the man made rules. The difference with the Catholic church is you don't get kicked out if you wear pants, have an abortion, use BC, have a vasectomy, have a child out of wedlock, get divorced, remarried (granted some very hard line priests will try but not that I have personally seen). As for women priesthood- that has been that way since the church was made- the Catholics aren't turning more restrictive like the fundies they just haven't changed their stance. It also isn't the same as voting (in politics) against your rights. Me voting for Palin or Bachmann or Paul would be voting against my rights since they want to take away health care choices, take away benefits for the poor (that I don't use but I think are needed), etc.

I get your point but it isn't comparing apples to apples.

I'm a recovering Roman Catholic turned Unitarian Universalist. I left the church due to my differing opinions on women's reproductive rights, believing priests should be able to date and get married, and the role of women in the church (I think women should be priests).

I don't agree with Pope Francis on everything, and I'm realistic enough to know we'll never agree on birth control/abortion and gay rights.

That being said, I do like how Pope Francis is putting those type of things on the back burner and wanting things like the growing chasm between the haves and have nots, helping the less fortunate and showing kindness and compassion towards others. This is something some Christians have forgotten, some Catholic, some Protestant, most of them fundie-minded.

And you just know fundie Catholic Stinking Lousewife is going to losing her fucking mind over this.

• 4 months later...

I don't trust Pope Francis at all and I have my reasons.

I bring this up because it seems everyone is circle jerking over how great he is.

This pope is the most in touch with issues confronting the Catholic Church right now.... my dad and I talk about him a lot... we are actually surprised he hasn't been killed by now.. .

Does Pope Francis use the bulletproof popemobile and take the same security precautions that JPII had to after his assassination attempt? I never really thought about this before your comment.

In any case, I think the most likely assassination attempt would be done by someone with mental health issues, as in the case of the previous pope, rather than someone with a true theological/political issue with the pope.

Does Pope Francis use the bulletproof popemobile and take the same security precautions that JPII had to after his assassination attempt? I never really thought about this before your comment.

In any case, I think the most likely assassination attempt would be done by someone with mental health issues, as in the case of the previous pope, rather than someone with a true theological/political issue with the pope.

In had no idea there was an assassination attempt on the last pope. Did he say why he did it?

In had no idea there was an assassination attempt on the last pope. Did he say why he did it?

It was a Turkish guy who never really made it clear why he did it. He had also previously assassinated a journalist in Turkey. There are apparently tons of theories as to his being put up to it from some larger movement (Marxists, Soviet Union, PLO, the Vatican itself).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_John_Paul_II_assassination_attempt

I didn't realize it until pulling up that article, but apparently there was a second attempt on JPII's life, by a former priest who tried to stab him.

Yeah, he was pissed off with folks judging 'mental health issues'

Da fuq?

I think Pope Francis knows his time is limited. He has made comments in the media about how he sees himself as a short term pontiff. I have also been surprised he has not been killed yet. If he is killed it will be his own Curia who does it, just like it is widely believed they killed John Paul II's predecessor. Keep in mind popes never have autopsy's. Hard liners are absolutely furious at his social reform and more open minded views. My question is will he live long enough and appoint enough like minded Cardinals to made a difference in the Catholic Church long term? He has already been busy retiring elderly Archbishops and packing the Curia with his appointed Cardinals.

I am still wondering why did Benedict step down? Health reasons is typical PR bull.

Archived