IGNORED

Seven Farm Girl Sisters - Washington DC

CoatRack

It sounds like they really enjoyed their trip. I live near dc and it galls me that I don't take advantage of all the opportunities to see amazing things in the city. I've never been to the national archives or arlington cemetary. I get kind of snobby about tour groups but it sounds like they really learned a lot from thier tour.

I am going to chalk up their one ignorant comment to them being very sheltered and naive. I noticed they seemed to befriend the people on tour and shared meals with them.

I'd take cassia and Susannah to founding farmers. If having a hotel room to themselves gave them a thrill I'd bet they'd love a fancy restaurant that serves country style food.

In regards to their trip alone, I've always had the sneaking suspicion that their whole SAHD/frumper/headcovering thing was more the girls ideas than the parents. If I recall correctly their mother does not dress in a similar manner. They are clearly very religious and I believe attend an IFB church, but the girls seem to have created their own rules which were able to flourish in a such a rural, religious environment (and with so many of them).

Funny that they are so giddy and curious about people who seem different from them, but then they act baffled when people ask about their clothes or want to take pictures with them. I'd say the faux Mennonite thing is a hell of a lot more unusual than an ethnic difference.

I'm glad they went on a secular tour and got to see things like the Museum of Natural History. It sounds like they had a good attitude about the whole experience, instead of coming back with some political screed prepared.

Yes, they're cute and giggly and seem genuinely excited and happy with life BUT they are in their 20s and have never interacted for any length of time with African Americans or Hispanics or gay people or anyone who doesn't look and think like them. These girls should be applauded for seeking out new experiences but their whole post is "Gee, aren't African Americans fun and like real people and like us???" and that's just sad. That's why bigotry and racism and homophobia thrive in closed off communities.

PS They asked to touch one woman's hair and I know from my friends and relatives that they really hate people asking to do this. I know this was naivete on the part of the sisters but underscores my point about the isolated upbringing.

Remember when they posted photos of cute African kids on their pinterest? They seemed genuinely mortified when it was pointed out to them how that could be taken. And they took the photos down immediately. Or atleast changed the wording.

I saw their blog for the first time a few weeks ago after someone included some of their photos on the "modest dress isn't necessarily feminine" thread. They are incredibly naive and credulous, but they seem like genuinely sweet people. Their DC posts are really interesting. They weren't just tourists of the nation's capital, they were also tourists of modern society. It seemed like they were just as fascinated by Real! Life! Black People!! as they were by the Lincoln Memorial.

The frumpers in this family are EPIC, though. The "novelty quilting cotton" section of their local Hobby Lobby must bleed when they leave.

I'm mixed race, and I can't snark on them. I knew that some folks here would call them out as racist. But I agree, they are extremely sheltered, but they have open hearts, and as socalrules said, they are full of wonder. Wanting to touch their fellow traveler's cornrows wasn't racist--maybe it was awkward--but I think it was coming from an attitude of curiosity and respect.

I bet they learned 10 times more on this trip (both historically and socially) than Duggars would.

It is so ironic that of the many fundies we follow, they are are some of the most conservatively dressed--yet more curious and loving.

Don't judge a fundy by her package, I guess!

PS I think they call Maya Lin a "girl" because they absolutely see themselves as "girls" too-even the ones in their late 20s.

these sisters are really growing on me, slowly. i've been to washington dc, so i've been to quite a few places they were at. :D

slightly ot...they stopped over in beaver falls, pa...i used to live right around in that area! :P

I could never imagine Smuggar, Smugganna , and the Smuggarlettes doing this type of thing.

Smuggar works frickin' ACROSS THE STREET from a major museum (National Portrait Gallery/Museum of American Art) with FREE admission, open till 7 pm, and we have no hint that he has ever stepped foot inside it!

In regards to their trip alone, I've always had the sneaking suspicion that their whole SAHD/frumper/headcovering thing was more the girls ideas than the parents. If I recall correctly their mother does not dress in a similar manner. They are clearly very religious and I believe attend an IFB church, but the girls seem to have created their own rules which were able to flourish in a such a rural, religious environment (and with so many of them).

Unless it's changed recently, the mom dresses exactly like the girls, with the exception of her exercise outfit.

If I lived in DC, I'd go crazy visiting all of the museums. The fact that Smuggar and Smuganna only ever seem to see the inside of a Chick-Fil-A bugs me to no end.

When I see them I think of my Dad's cousin who was a nun. AFter Vatican II her order went to "street clothes" but they still had to go in pairs. Very odd clothing till they "adjusted" to the change. And giddiness over the most routine things.

I think, unlike so many others, that this is a genuine family that's just a bit odd. I don't think the parents are mean--just well intentioned but maybe could use another taco for a complete dinner platter....

Anyone else suspect the rest of the people on the bus felt like they needed to watch over them? If my husband and I ever did a trip like this and encountered these two, we would have worried that they'd end up lost or taken advantage of because they come across as THAT sheltered and naive.

OTH, I'm glad they got out and did something as "crazy" as a trip to DC. I do find their final states about black people as racist, despite their attempts to *NOT* come across that way. It really was a culture shock sort of thing for them.

Archived