IGNORED

Seven Farm Girl Sisters - Washington DC

CoatRack

Forgive me if this has already been posted. I searched around the forums for a post about this but didn't see anything. Anyway, 2 of the seven farm girl sisters went to DC for a 21st birthday. They took a tour bus (with 48 of those wacky African Americans, as they were sure to point out)

Four posts, a metricfuckton of pictures. Here's the intro bit:

Earlier this year (February-ish) Cassia kept talking about how she wanted to do something big for her 21st birthday. Like skydiving. She asked me, “If I do something, will you do it with me?†My response? Of course! We do almost everything together!! I wasn’t to sure about skydiving, but if she did it, I wasn’t going to let her do it without me :) Daddy and Mommy weren’t too thrilled about the idea of us skydiving, so she started looking up other options, like taking a hot air balloon ride. But the cost was outrageous for such little time. So we came up with the idea of taking a bus trip. But where? She Googled “bus trips†and Diamond Bus Tours came up. She asked me, “How about a trip to Washington D.C.?â€

And so we went to Washington D.C. for her 21st birthday (we actually left ON her birthday!) :)

Our family went to Arlington in 2010, and accidentally drove right into Washington DC (not in our plans to see D.C. that time!). We didn’t stop to see anything, but we saw glimpses of a couple of major attractions. I always wanted to go back to see everything more in-depth. This certainly was more in-depth, but it could have been even MORE in-depth!! I would love to go back and spend more time at the museums!!

We had SO MUCH FUN on this trip!!! There were about 50 people. All of them, except us and the bus driver, were African American. Which, I think, made it even MORE fun!!! Black people tend to have a better sense of humor than white people :)

sevenfarmgirlsisters.com/washington-d-c-part-1/

sevenfarmgirlsisters.com/washington-d-c-part-2/

sevenfarmgirlsisters.com/washington-d-c-part-3/

sevenfarmgirlsisters.com/washington-d-c-part-4/

I'm pretty sure that's naivete speaking, not racism. They're just horribly sheltered.

Am I the only one that considers it sad that a fairly typical touristy trip of Washington D.C. at the age of 21 is considered a 'crazy' thing to do and on par with skydiving? Don't get me wrong, it sounds fun and I'm sure they had a great time, but crazy? If so, 16.1 million Americans a year are BANANAS. :banana-rock:

I noticed she kept referring to the designer of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial as a "girl," even though architect Maya Lin was born in 1959 and was 21 years old when she submitted the design.

I glanced through the blog but so many pics... their dress makes me zone out for some reason, the collars, the jumpers, the head doilies...

but I do wonder if this was their first encounter with black people

and

a trip like this seems like a big thing to let these girls travel and no father/brother/savior with them

I glanced through the blog but so many pics... their dress makes me zone out for some reason, the collars, the jumpers, the head doilies...

but I do wonder if this was their first encounter with black people

and

a trip like this seems like a big thing to let these girls travel and no father/brother/savior with them

If not their first encounter, it was more than likely the first time they had actually spent any time talking to one.

If not their first encounter, it was more than likely the first time they had actually spent any time talking to one.

That is probably more like it. I must admit, this whole DC trip surprises me, no uber-parental-control? I can well imagine the culture shock of being on the bus for an extended time in the company of people who are very different from you.

That is probably more like it. I must admit, this whole DC trip surprises me, no uber-parental-control? I can well imagine the culture shock of being on the bus for an extended time in the company of people who are very different from you.

Actually I'm guessing that a group of elderly African Americans would be a lot more like the 7 sisters than a group of normal white women their age. I am also sure this fact would surprise them too.

:mouse-shock:

Culture shock? Very different? Not everyone thinks people are all that different, dear.

Right after we got done with our picture an Asian girl came up to us and said “Excuse me, can I have my picture taken with you?†we were like sure! I don’t know why she wanted a picture with us, but it was fun to see her excited and make her day.

From part 2. It's sort of adorable that they don't see the fact that they must have looked pretty out of place and exotic in matching frumpers, headcoverings, and Peter Pan collars.

ETA this:

Her hair was so cool all cornrowed, I was admiring it through out the whole trip so I finally asked her “can I touch your hair?â€
:? :? :?

I think it would be odd if they didn't mention the obviouse fact they were the only white people. Could you picture Smuggar in that scenario? Michelle talking extra slow and babyish to them? The Maxwells?

I like the fact that they didn't talk about Jesus the whole time, and how are forefathers were Christian, no political statements. Genuine excitement at being in front of the white house. No stupid hateful Obama remarks. A real respect for a president that likely is not the party they belong to. A true appreciation for DC. And I think they have seen more and now know more about DC than the Smuggars though they live there.

What kind of fundies don't mention Jesus every other paragraph? Oddly, it's the happiest fundies I know.

I've been wanting to post their trip to DC here, but I didn't know how to do it without being all "7 sisters go on a trip with black people, !!11!!1" :lol:

I know it was a typical touristy-type trip, but I'm glad they got to go on their own and have experiences outside of parents or fundie family friends. I hope they gained a little wisdom and maturity from it.

I enjoyed the pictures and their obvious joy during their trip.

I can't snark on the Seven Sisters, I just can't. They seem so genuine, and UNLIKE so many of the other fundies, I really don't believe they think of themselves as better than others because of their beliefs or their lifestyle.

And I dressed like that for a few years when my kids were littles. It actually gives me some fond memories. :lol:

They really are adorable. Their posts are just so full of wonder at everything around them. I enjoyed reading about it. I actually learned some things. I feel like their trip was the kind most of us would take. We try to see and learn as much as we can in the short time we have on a trip. I hope they get to take more trips like that. Hell, I hope to take a trip like that. I almost want to put them in their own fundy catergory because I feel like they are just to nice and sweet to be grouped with the others.

I cannot imagine any of the Duggars having the same experience. I cannot see them being as respectful and interested in the other people on the bus. I definately can't see them so interested in history or taking the time to learn anything while on the trip. Besides, no way would Duggar girls be allowed to take a trip by themselves with 48 other strangers that weren't fundies and were minorities. Duggars take note, this is how you behave when you are with a group of people from a different background. It's actually easy to not be rude.

I don't see anything wrong with calling your parents mommy and daddy at any age. I know a lot of mature, educated, independent people that do it. It doesn't mean anything other than you like to call your parents mommy and daddy. It is not weird and my mother does not have a problem if I call her mommy. I don't think most parents would.

They really are adorable. Their posts are just so full of wonder at everything around them. I enjoyed reading about it. I actually learned some things. I feel like their trip was the kind most of us would take. We try to see and learn as much as we can in the short time we have on a trip. I hope they get to take more trips like that. Hell, I hope to take a trip like that. I almost want to put them in their own fundy catergory because I feel like they are just to nice and sweet to be grouped with the others.

I cannot imagine any of the Duggars having the same experience. I cannot see them being as respectful and interested in the other people on the bus. I definately can't see them so interested in history or taking the time to learn anything while on the trip. Besides, no way would Duggar girls be allowed to take a trip by themselves with 48 other strangers that weren't fundies and were minorities. Duggars take note, this is how you behave when you are with a group of people from a different background. It's actually easy to not be rude.

I don't see anything wrong with calling your parents mommy and daddy at any age. I know a lot of mature, educated, independent people that do it. It doesn't mean anything other than you like to call your parents mommy and daddy. It is not weird and my mother does not have a problem if I call her mommy. I don't think most parents would.

It's nice that they had a good time and didn't act like the Duggar clan.

I actually really enjoy their blog. They might be naive, but they seem happy and they enjoy the things they do and are grateful for the experiences they have.

I WANTED to be mad at this ("can I touch your hair?"), but couldn't manage it. They seem so incredibly happy and eager to do everything, it's sweet. It seems like they had no problem making friends on the trip, and got to see nearly everything they wanted to. Whenever my cynicism at their small town awe set in, I just remembered by first time to Mexico City and that shut up my inner critic. :-) Mainly, I was happy that C & S got to go alone, without the whole family or all the other siblings. It seems like the tour was pretty inclusive (maybe from a Christian company?), so their parents likely felt safe.

Cassia and Susannah, if you're reading this and you ever come back to DC, I'll take you to the Willard for snacks/lemonade at the outdoor cafe. :-)

In defense of this statement: Several years ago, I went on a two-week business trip to a major Midwestern city. (Background: I was born in NYC, have lived most of my life in a blue-collar Connecticut town, and have spent my career in Hartford and New Haven, both very ethnically diverse cities.) Every day, as I walked from my hotel room to the building where I worked, I noticed that the majority-white people I saw were trudging along as if they were off to their execution. If I said good morning to people in an elevator, they'd be a bit disconcerted.

Except for the African-American folks I met. In the hotel elevator, I saw that a couple of ladies had a Cheesecake Factory shopping bag, and we struck up a conversation about where the mall was and what stores were there.

I was there to give a series of training classes. The final one consisted a half-dozen middle-aged women, who'd worked for the company for decades and expected this out-of-state newbie (me) to prove herself. Once I'd shown them that I was giving them BS-free reliable information, they trusted me, and we had a great class. Toward the end, I said (and to this day I can't believe I said this), "You know, the only normal people I've met here have been black. Everyone else is so uptight and closed off. I'm Italian and I'm not used to that!" They all agreed with me.

I could never imagine Smuggar, Smugganna , and the Smuggarlettes doing this type of thing.

Archived