IGNORED

"How I Left The Purity Movement" on Salon

PearlKrabs

The woman who wrote this isn't fundie, since she attended college and went on a mission, but I still thought it was relevant because it touches on the psychological effects purity pledges and the inevitable guilt can have from the dating stage all the way through marriage.

Not breaking the link because it's Salon:

http://www.salon.com/2014/11/02/how_i_l ... _movement/

I really identified with the piece because this is the main reason DH and I left the faith. A bit TMI: When we were dating we didn't have sex for years, resulting in the frustration and guilt described in the essay. We realized eventually that we shouldn't be ashamed, and any thought system that guilts two completely committed adults for natural behavior isn't worth following. It's great seeing someone else escape the same mind-prison and be willing to talk about it.

Is it bad this made me really horny? I'm a part of a Christian church, and although I'm quite happy with the idea of having sex before marriage some people in my church definitely wait and that's the "approved" way. I definitely won't be marrying someone I haven't slept with.

I wish I could tempt one of the hot guys I see every Sunday to go down on me, haha.

Archived