IGNORED

Jahi McMath back in the news - Part 2

Stynjen

8 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Wow wow wow, how did I miss this earlier? Why is this not bigger news in the articles about this case?

It came out in dribs and drabs.  To discuss the entire case would take up a LOT of valuable space in a newspaper and without some big lead-in, might go unread and be a loss to them. 

It's not neatly organized, but docbastard's blog has an active readership and Jahi has been a topic more than once.

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in the area and this is a very quiet topic.  They live in Franklin which has a sizable African-American population and the local politicians don't want to antagonize voters or make trouble with the family.    Also, Dr. Fellus' father owned a local kosher catering company and his mother is a big macher in the Jewish community and no politician wants to piss them off either.  (disclosure:  I am also member of said Middlesex County Jewish community)   So, it gets no coverage.  Also, I haven't heard that the family is holding any fundraising events like a Walk for Jahi or the like.  Perhaps they just keep it online to not get criticized.  a lot of people around here are un-and underemployed, trying to get affordable insurance and their tax money is paying for this?  Nope, it would not get good press.

Somehow the Jahi Mcmath case became a right to Life issue, perhaps the biggest face palm to come out of all of this. It has certainly been the source of much entertainment from the "keepers" and their antics.  Your comments were interesting and informative, CindYLuvs24, so that is for that, it's interesting to hear from a local's perspective. 

On 3/29/2016 at 5:58 AM, Gellhorn said:

It came out in dribs and drabs.  To discuss the entire case would take up a LOT of valuable space in a newspaper and without some big lead-in, might go unread and be a loss to them. 

It's not neatly organized, but docbastard's blog has an active readership and Jahi has been a topic more than once.

Some of the CA papers wrote extensively about it, but it's been going on for so long you'd really have to search!

Here is a link. The woman was not unconscious, which makes what he did only slightly less creepy. She was brain damaged and Fellus took advantage of that, not illegal I suppose but highly unethical. The victim was awarded a large amount in a civil suit.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/05/suspended_nj_doctor_ordered_to_pay_patient_32m_for.html

"She was brain damaged and Fellus took advantage of that"

I'm not an attorney, but how in the world could she give informed consent?

According to Fellus' clinical notes read at trial, she had suffered a frontal lobe injury to her brain, which controls emotions, and she suffered from panic attacks and seizure-like episodes, according to court transcripts. The woman worked as a teacher before the accident, but had to quit because her injuries left her with lasting memory and cognitive deficits, according the the transcripts. The injuries compromised her judgment and rendered her unable to consent to the affair, Donnelly said.

Glad she won her case.  I hope she actually collected much of the money - not that attorneys shouldn't be paid for their efforts, but I don't see the point in them collecting all of it (if that happened).

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 2:14 PM, Mitz_ said:

I think that folded blanket under her chin is there to keep her mouth closed.

We would do that when a resident passed--roll up a towel and put it under the chin to keep the mouth closed.  Poor baby, those horrible, monstrous parents.  I have no words.

Uhg. This and the Sparkling Lauren morgue photos are things I would really really really like to un-see.

9 minutes ago, Jingerbread said:

Damn.  This bumped to the top, and I hope that poor corpse had finally been given the dignity of a burial.

Unfortunately, Jahi being laid to rest in peace seems as likely as a Sarah Maxwell courtship announcement. :my_cry:

On 3/30/2016 at 1:48 PM, Mitz_ said:

Here is a link. The woman was not unconscious, which makes what he did only slightly less creepy. She was brain damaged and Fellus took advantage of that, not illegal I suppose but highly unethical. The victim was awarded a large amount in a civil suit.

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2015/05/suspended_nj_doctor_ordered_to_pay_patient_32m_for.html

If what this doctor did wasn't illegal, it damned well should be. I'm glad the victim won her case.

Just finished reading through all this. It's not really been heard about over here.

Blimey!

That poor girl, even if there is the slimmest chance that she's even slightly aware that almost makes it worse. That's not any sort of life. It must be a horrible thing to face but if it was me lying there I would definitely want to be allowed to die rather than be kept on artificially.

If she's legally been declared dead then aren't there any laws about the proper treatment of a dead body. I know the UK has some pretty strict ones, like you can be charged with a crime if you try and prevent a body from being disposed of respectfully, or for leaving one lying around. Interestingly a funeral isn't considered mandatory.

I suppose her family are trying to argue that she isn't dead and they took her out of the state where she was declared dead but surely there has to be some sort of way to get around that. A person can't be alive and dead at the same time.

It's a sad story all round that seems to have gone into some new level of disturbing.

3 hours ago, unsafetydancer said:

That poor girl, even if there is the slimmest chance that she's even slightly aware that almost makes it worse. That's not any sort of life.

That would be a nightmare!  Just listening to life, but having no say over anything because you can't communicate anything.  Just awful.

4 hours ago, unsafetydancer said:

Just finished reading through all this. It's not really been heard about over here.

Blimey!

That poor girl, even if there is the slimmest chance that she's even slightly aware that almost makes it worse. That's not any sort of life. It must be a horrible thing to face but if it was me lying there I would definitely want to be allowed to die rather than be kept on artificially.

If she's legally been declared dead then aren't there any laws about the proper treatment of a dead body. I know the UK has some pretty strict ones, like you can be charged with a crime if you try and prevent a body from being disposed of respectfully, or for leaving one lying around. Interestingly a funeral isn't considered mandatory.

I suppose her family are trying to argue that she isn't dead and they took her out of the state where she was declared dead but surely there has to be some sort of way to get around that. A person can't be alive and dead at the same time.

It's a sad story all round that seems to have gone into some new level of disturbing.

Nope, she is mercifully dead and has gone on to her glory. No quality of life issue here.  Strangely, we do have laws pertaining to dead bodies and what is and is not acceptable but for some reason the judge decided to let Jahi's mother take this one out of the hospital if she promised to bring the corpse back when it ...died? In the meantime our welfare and Medicaid programs are paying for everything, including 24 hour nursing care for this dead body. Many of us have observed that if you are merely sick and not dead it would be difficult if not impossible to get such care. 

The family is arguing the matter matter in court, rather unsuccessfully but at great expense to the taxpayers. 

There have been presedents where the parents of dead children have refused to accept the death "diagnosis" because of their religious beliefs. In 2008, Mordechai Dov Brody was a twelve year old Hasidic boy who became brain dead because of a brain tumor. However, his parents did not accept that he was dead, because they considered death to be when the heart stops beating:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordechai_Dov_Brody

His parents filed suit, citing the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, to keep him on life support, but mercifully for the boy, he went into cardiac arrest eleven days after he suffered brain death.

Four years earlier, Jesse Koochin, a six year old boy who also had a brain tumor, suffered brain death, but once again, the parents considered cardiac arrest to be the "real sign" of death and tried to keep him on life support:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Koochin

As with Brody, his heart eventually did stop, but it was the first case of families and doctors differing on the what constitutes death. With these previous cases, the boys' hearts stopped relatively early after brain death, but Jahi could theoretically live for decades like that case someone linked to of the British boy whose body lingered on for almost twenty years after suffering brain death.

7 hours ago, Jingerbread said:

That would be a nightmare!  Just listening to life, but having no say over anything because you can't communicate anything.  Just awful.

Being aware and pretty much unable to communicate is actually a "thing". It's called "Locked in Syndrome". The patient can usually use their eyes to communicate. Total Locked-In Syndrome is when even the eyes are paralysed. The patients in both cases are have full cognitive function, just no ability to move their body in any way. It's my idea of an absolute nightmare.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locked-in_syndrome

This isn't recent to Jahi though. She's gone and only a shell remains. If anything, the poor kid is the exact opposite of Locked-In Syndrome, where she has no cognitive functioning, but her body is still functioning on a basic level, albeit artificially.

I wish they would give the girl her dignity, and let her go. This whole nightmare is macabre.

Daffy, I'm aware of lock-in syndrome. Bury me alive before making me live with that.  There was a case in the press a bit not long ago about a book written by a man who was locked in for many years.  Barney triggers him.

I really, really wish this family would just go away. I have followed the Jahi case in another -true crime- forum, and I am so incredibly tired of them. The uncle, piece of work. The mom, attention whore. The lawyer, a money hungry unethical piece of shit. 

That child died years ago. But why let her rest in peace if you can milk the world and its less than smart inhabitants for money to care for your dead child. Beats getting a job, it seems. ARGHHHH,

I'm appalled that her sister (Jordyn?) reportedly sleeps in the same room with her.  That little girl is the canary in the coal mine and at one time her mother wrote about her getting sent home from school because she "choked" another student (that one really pisses me off - that is STRANGLING, not choking.  I wish people would get that right!).  Send her back to CA to be with living family members, exclusively.  Clearly she needs more than she's receiving.  Not going home to a corpse would be a good start.

I have ugly, ugly words to use but I won't.  There's no point.  They're vile people.

1 hour ago, Gellhorn said:

I'm appalled that her sister (Jordyn?) reportedly sleeps in the same room with her.  That little girl is the canary in the coal mine and at one time her mother wrote about her getting sent home from school because she "choked" another student (that one really pisses me off - that is STRANGLING, not choking.  I wish people would get that right!).  Send her back to CA to be with living family members, exclusively.  Clearly she needs more than she's receiving.  Not going home to a corpse would be a good start.

I have ugly, ugly words to use but I won't.  There's no point.  They're vile people.

DAFUQ! Are you serious? Wow. Someone please tell me why no one has called CPS. How can a mother have her child sleep in the same room with a dead body? that is so fucked up. Why doesn't mamma look-at-my-nails sleep there? @$!@%

2 hours ago, Gellhorn said:

A semi-normal person might conclude that being forced to sleep in the same room as your dead sister might be detrimental to a child's development and lead to acting out in inappropriate ways, but since there are no semi-normal people in this story, I doubt the child in question will get the help she needs. I mean why waste time and money on psychological counseling for a living child when you could get a corpse a manicure? Priorities, people!

2 hours ago, seattlechic said:

DAFUQ! Are you serious? Wow. Someone please tell me why no one has called CPS. How can a mother have her child sleep in the same room with a dead body? that is so fucked up. Why doesn't mamma look-at-my-nails sleep there? @$!@%

I think this shit falls under "different parenting styles."  Since NJ lets them declare her alive, it's just one kid sharing a room with a sibling. Anyone sane sees the problem with this.

I hope that Jahi's sister, if when she grows up to be a psychopath, will get court ordered therapy instead of prison for whatever heinous crimes she is going to commit.

In fact, I had hoped she would get court ordered therapy for the heinous crime her mother is committing right now.

On 4/12/2016 at 1:45 PM, Cleopatra7 said:

A semi-normal person might conclude that being forced to sleep in the same room as your dead sister might be detrimental to a child's development and lead to acting out in inappropriate ways, but since there are no semi-normal people in this story, I doubt the child in question will get the help she needs. I mean why waste time and money on psychological counseling for a living child when you could get a corpse a manicure? Priorities, people!

I'm not sure the child is forced to sleep in the same room. I've seen pictures of their apartment, it is more of a multi level townhouse. I'm sure there is another place for her to sleep. It's bad enough sharing the house, so creepy.

14 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

I'm not sure the child is forced to sleep in the same room. I've seen pictures of their apartment, it is more of a multi level townhouse. I'm sure there is another place for her to sleep. It's bad enough sharing the house, so creepy.

There is no way we can know where that child sleeps. It's probably the least of her problems.

Now there is another one. 

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/parents-fighting-hospital-to-keep-2-year-old-son-on-life-support

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived