IGNORED

So ... doTERRA

polecat

For a UTI---the tea tree oil actually has more scientific backing with anti-bacterial properties than cranberry tablets! The ONLY benefit that cranberry offers is if you are drinking high volumes of 100% pure cranberry juice---not tablets, not cran-apple, etc.... I've been told by many urologists---and done the research--that cranberry tablets are fairly useless. And really--cranberry juice is an alternative remedy just as much as essential oils. But that's my point---some are accepted (and effective) and some aren't.

That being said---I have never used tea tree oil for a UTI. However, I was born with a spinal condition that requires me to use catheters, so I have gotten lots of UTIs in the past. I would definitely consider utilizing a tea tree oil tampon in the future if I got one because I have used SO many antibiotics in the past that many of the UTIS would be resistant to the medications. Therefore, I changed some of my habits (drinking lots more water, dietary changes and started paying for reusable catheters--which was a fight with the insurance company) and I also know my body REALLY well in that particular area. I can tell the moment I get an infection. I also know when I need to go to the ER and get help asap. So again, it's a balance, moderation and also about listening to your body and knowing when to admit defeat and get professional help.

For me, UTI's are painful enough, so I don't think I plan to try tea tree oil. I do like lavender and peppermint oils diluted for a headache, as well as eucalyptus oil for congestion. Fortunately, I don't get UTI's that often so I still have plenty of antibiotic options that don't include penicillin as I'm allergic. Usually, drinking plenty of water and taking cranberry tablets have prevented me from getting frequent UTI's.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I apologize if I missed it, but how would this work? The idea of putting a tampon in a urethra ... it just sounds painful. Or is it somehow used externally?

The distraction method! ***Pain! Pain! Pain!*** Yep that UTI seems non-existent now!

I'm struggling to understand here ... UTI and tampons? Are they suggesting sticking the tampon into the urinary tract or are they suggesting inserting it normally and that somehow the oil will work it's way through the body? Either way ... WTF!

On the other hand, tea tree oil is a brilliant insect repellant. We dilute it and spray it on ourselves when we go hiking and, using a stronger mix, use it on tents and sleeping bags when camping. I laugh whenever I see it sold in tiny bottles - we buy it by the litre from a local farmer. (We also get wood from him when doing a bonfire as you get a great smelling fire if you use tea tree and eucalyptus. Makes the sausages taste great too.)

I'm struggling to understand here ... UTI and tampons? Are they suggesting sticking the tampon into the urinary tract or are they suggesting inserting it normally and that somehow the oil will work it's way through the body? Either way ... WTF!

)

Again, I haven't tried it. But a few points/thoughts. 1) definitely not putting the tampon in the urethra. That wouldn't be possible. As someone who has put things in many urethras (including my own)---and always in a professional, medical capacity---it definitely would not be able to fit a tampon unless you had a freakishly large urethra. But I still don't think that is possible. My medical recommendation would be to NOT try it. 2) My understanding---based on hearing it for the very first time in this forum--would be that you would put it in the "normal" way (i.e--in the vagina). That's how you got the UTI in the first place! The bacteria "worked its way up there....." Sorry to say, but that bacteria is more often than not, e.coli that has come from fecal matter. And it "worked its way up there" on its own accord or because you did something (inadvertently, usually) to speed it up there (by having sex, by wiping incorrectly, by wearing panties that are not as conducive for proper vaginal hygiene, by douching, etc, etc....) Any other questions? Again, definitely not an expert on this. Have never done this or heard of it being done until today. But this is just my semi-educated guesses/thoughts :geek:

I still struggle with the idea that you would insert something into your vagina to treat something in the urethra. I mean, isn't the whole point of a tampon to absorb, not let stuff leach to other areas.

How would you use EO to treat a headache? By breathing it? I don't really know. I have bottles of bergamot and lavender I had for years. I got them at Whole Foods cuz I liked the smell. So how are they used?

I occasionally distill small amounts of EOs. I started because I have citrus trees and needed something to do with the peels when I juice the fruit, and there's only so much marmalade and candied peel and zest you can stand. I use my tangerine oil and the scented water when I make soap, lotion, bath salts/bombs, household cleaners, laundry detergent, linen spray, air freshener, you name it. Not because I think it has any medicinal properties, just because I like the scent and I was making all of those anyway.

Personally I think scented bath salts are great for a headache, but I get most of my headaches from stress or sinus issues, so any relaxing hot bath would be effective.

How would you use EO to treat a headache? By breathing it? I don't really know. I have bottles of bergamot and lavender I had for years. I got them at Whole Foods cuz I liked the smell. So how are they used?

Not EOs, but my mom used to have a little eye pillow that was stuffed with lavender, and she'd use it when she had migraines. I don't know if the scent calmed or comforted her while she waited for her meds to work or if it actually helped with the pain, but she swore by it. It doesn't do a thing for my migraines.

I still struggle with the idea that you would insert something into your vagina to treat something in the urethra. I mean, isn't the whole point of a tampon to absorb, not let stuff leach to other areas.

Me too. And if just putting it in your system will fight the infection, why not just injest it? (Not suggesting this, it just seems to me that putting something into a system that eventually passes through your urinary track would work better than introducting something into your reproductive system). Also, I got a little bottle of tea tree oil for free to be used for blemishes and bug bites. i've used it once or twice and it is really strong. Like even on my upper arm skin it stings a little bit. I cannot imagine using it down there. How would you not get a nasty yeast infection or some tearing in your vagina that could then get infected?

I have a Migrastick (www.migrastick.com/en/). I rub it on my forehead and the back of my neck for not-too-bad headaches. Olbas oil would probably help, too, if you can find it.

As someone who does use essential oils in homemade body products and who loves to diffuse them (I'm horribly allergic to artificial fragrances) I just have to say - please do not use undiluted essential oils anywhere on the body - especially not in such a sensitive area! Yes, tea tree EO does have verified anti-bacterial properties - so does bleach. That does not mean it should go anywhere near porous tissues.

As someone who does use essential oils in homemade body products and who loves to diffuse them (I'm horribly allergic to artificial fragrances) I just have to say - please do not use undiluted essential oils anywhere on the body - especially not in such a sensitive area! Yes, tea tree EO does have verified anti-bacterial properties - so does bleach. That does not mean it should go anywhere near porous tissues.

Yes---you would definitely need to dilute the tea tree oil! A few drops of the oil with mostly carrier oil---coconut, sweet almond, etc...

Regarding the ingestion vs. vagina vs. urethra. That's the same concept---you could argue, why would I put something into my gastrointestinal system instead of directly into my urethra? That's the same argument as putting something in the vaginal canal instead of straight into the urethra. Because at this point we know it works to take a pill into the GI system and it will cure an infection in your bladder.

Yes---you would definitely need to dilute the tea tree oil! A few drops of the oil with mostly carrier oil---coconut, sweet almond, etc...

Regarding the ingestion vs. vagina vs. urethra. That's the same concept---you could argue, why would I put something into my gastrointestinal system instead of directly into my urethra? That's the same argument as putting something in the vaginal canal instead of straight into the urethra. Because at this point we know it works to take a pill into the GI system and it will cure an infection in your bladder.

Because that's how the medication gets into the blood stream that takes it to where it's intended for (http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/drugs/ ... ation.html).

Is this tea tree oil tampon in the vagina so the oil can be absorbed into the bloodstream through there (like how Nuvaring works?) or because someone thought that it being in proximity somehow helps?

In any case, I'll stick with antibiotics.

For headaches, I have a mixture of olive oil and lavender in one ofthosebottleswiththerollerbalL on it. I just roll it around wherever I have the headache and go on my way. For congestion, a couple drops of eucalyptus on a tissue wafted under my nose a few times helps. Or take a hot bath and put a few drops in a cup on the edge of the bathtub. The combination of that and the steam is very effective (for me anyway).

Yes, she wanted me putting the tea tree oil (un- diluted!!!) where tampons normally go. I am also confused as to how something in the vagina can help out the urethra.

Because that's how the medication gets into the blood stream that takes it to where it's intended for (http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/drugs/ ... ation.html).

Is this tea tree oil tampon in the vagina so the oil can be absorbed into the bloodstream through there (like how Nuvaring works?) or because someone thought that it being in proximity somehow helps?

In any case, I'll stick with antibiotics.

Yes---I understand the pathophysiology of medication administration. I'm a nurse practitioner. I explained in a previous post how the tampon might work in theory. The same way as the bacteria got into the bladder in the first place. Again, I haven't done this and aren't recommending it. Just saying how I thought it would work and arguing that it's not as far-fetched as it sounds.

I would imagine the expectation of the TTO on a tampon is to use the tampon as the carrier and put the oil right next to the urethra to work it's way in. I would never use nor recommend the concept. Even in a carrier oil, TTO is a very harsh oil and that's not exactly the place you want to trigger a reaction or sensitivity.

Like everything else, I think EOs do work for some things. I don't think they are the miracle cure-all these companies have promoted, but I think like other holistic and natural options, they are good tools for a toolbox.

I have a iron clad natural method for fighting UTIs that doesn't involve TTO up my hoohah but has avoided antibiotics 95% of my UTIs for the last seven years, which is good since I've had so many UTIs I'm allergic to all of the first line antibiotics at this point in my life. I'm well aware that EOs function in the same realm of usefulness as all those other options. They have limitations just like anything else.

I have a iron clad natural method for fighting UTIs that doesn't involve TTO up my hoohah but has avoided antibiotics 95% of my UTIs for the last seven years, which is good since I've had so many UTIs I'm allergic to all of the first line antibiotics at this point in my life. I'm well aware that EOs function in the same realm of usefulness as all those other options. They have limitations just like anything else.

DO TELL. My first one was horrifically painful. The second one (which I had almost a month ago now) wasn't painful but I am having to pee CONSTANTLY. Show (tell) me your ways!

Garlic lemonade made with approximately 4 lemons and 2-3 fresh crushed cloves of garlic, sweetened to just tolerable with honey and drunk tepid or cold alternating mason jars of the lemonade with mason jars of straight water. I average a mason jar every hour for nearly 24 hours (meaning faster when awake and slower when asleep). To this I add garlic tablets, 2-3 pills, three times a day for five days and 1-2 quarts if fresh blueberries.

Sometimes I do add cranberry pills and sometimes I don't, just depends upon my mood since I'm not convinced the cranberry pills do much and the research supports the other things far better.

You'll spend so much time in the bathroom that you'll think you love there, but I can detect a UTI on a dipstick at home when I start that not even a urine culture will show three days later.

The nice part is I have now had a few kidney stones and I don't have to try to figure out whether renal colic and flank pain are a stone or infection. If the regiment fails, I'll be vomiting from pain and know it's a stone too large to pass and thus time to heard in for treatment.

Thanks for sharing! I'm already practically living in the bathroom...sometimes I get up to go 8 or 9 times a night!!!

The cranberry pills make me have to pee even more, for whatever reason, which is why I take them. I've never heard of blueberries for a UTI. Interesting!

facebook.com/stacy.mcdonald?fref=ts

Stacy M is, of course, defending her essential oils, because if they were good enough for Jesus, well then, they're god enough for everyone. Oh, and we don't need medicine to treat Ebola. Our immune system will take care of it. 50% of the time anyway. The FDA is just covering that information up, because they haven't found a way to charge us for using our immune systems. :roll:

Archived