IGNORED

Lori says we should be like Sheep and Not Goats.

Ivycoveredtower

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From my ethology course last year : the goats' approach to raising their kids isn't that stupid at all (and by the way cows do the exact same thing. Don't hear anyone describing them as bad mothers...) Basically a predator can spot an adult goat or sheep pretty easily. And when it's the time of year when the young are born they know to prowl around the adults and pick off the weak and the babies.

Thus the approach of having your babies around you is quite risky : the predator could very well harass you and your baby and end up eating it. Sheep take the approach of keeping their babies very close, staying together as a close-knit herd, and fleeing as a group if a predator arrives. Their babies have to keep up and hope they won't be caught.

Goats however hide their babies in tall grasses and pretend they have no baby for most of the day while they forage. This makes fleeing from a predator a lot easier for them. Their herd tends to be more spread out, and if a predator arrives the whole group will scatter. It's a very different approach. The hidden baby knows to keep completely still, the predator would have to be very lucky and walk right into it to find it. The mum will come and visit it when she knows she isn't being followed, and give it a call that says "all clear" and then feed it. Kids (and calves) are very efficient feeders, they don't need much time to get all the nutrition they need.

Personally I find it super cute to see a bunch of kids or calves all lying together in a field... Of course in our fields the grass is short so they are not hidden at all XD Which makes it even more cute.

The medieval christians pitting sheep against goats is the main reason why sheep are so much more common than goats in Europe. I find it insane how religious stories like that can have such an impact on agriculture and the destiny of a whole species. I have spent time around both and find goats more interesting and fun. They tend to be smarter and that makes them more difficult to deal with in some ways but also quite fascinating.

tl;dr I would much rather be a goat. FU, Lori.

I have an unusual name, but most people have no trouble spelling it once they know me. I find that people who...don't like what I'm saying...will often purposely misspell it (even after I have nicely asked them to stop doing so) because they seem to think it bothers me.

It's just a passive-aggressive jab. I think it's childish, myself.

On a list, I used to belong to there was one guy that I would routinely school that did purposely misspelled my name. It said more about him and his arguments than anything, IMO.

I think we are seeing the same kind of situation with Ken and Genny.

You've hit the nail on one of my pet peeves, Curious. My first name is quite an ordinary girls' name but with an unusual spelling, and my year six primary teacher insisted on spelling it her way even after I'd gone out of my way to spell it out for her. She even crossed it out in the register and replaced it with how she thought my first name should be spelt. Her reply? "Well, your mum spelled it wrong on the birth certificate, it should be x spelling, unless it's pronounced y." I couldn't stand the bloody woman. We were 10 and 11 year olds, but she spoke to us like we were five. I remember the last day of summer term with her, some of the other kids were crying and getting emotional as we were leaving to start secondary school the following term, but I was ECSTATIC because I knew I'd never again have to sit in the same room as that patronising cow!

From my ethology course last year : the goats' approach to raising their kids isn't that stupid at all (and by the way cows do the exact same thing. Don't hear anyone describing them as bad mothers...) Basically a predator can spot an adult goat or sheep pretty easily. And when it's the time of year when the young are born they know to prowl around the adults and pick off the weak and the babies.

Thus the approach of having your babies around you is quite risky : the predator could very well harass you and your baby and end up eating it. Sheep take the approach of keeping their babies very close, staying together as a close-knit herd, and fleeing as a group if a predator arrives. Their babies have to keep up and hope they won't be caught.

Goats however hide their babies in tall grasses and pretend they have no baby for most of the day while they forage. This makes fleeing from a predator a lot easier for them. Their herd tends to be more spread out, and if a predator arrives the whole group will scatter. It's a very different approach. The hidden baby knows to keep completely still, the predator would have to be very lucky and walk right into it to find it. The mum will come and visit it when she knows she isn't being followed, and give it a call that says "all clear" and then feed it. Kids (and calves) are very efficient feeders, they don't need much time to get all the nutrition they need.

Personally I find it super cute to see a bunch of kids or calves all lying together in a field... Of course in our fields the grass is short so they are not hidden at all XD Which makes it even more cute.

The medieval christians pitting sheep against goats is the main reason why sheep are so much more common than goats in Europe. I find it insane how religious stories like that can have such an impact on agriculture and the destiny of a whole species. I have spent time around both and find goats more interesting and fun. They tend to be smarter and that makes them more difficult to deal with in some ways but also quite fascinating.

tl;dr I would much rather be a goat. FU, Lori.

Cows also have daycare for calves. :lol: My hubby was a ranch hand and we lived in a house on the ranch surrounded by cattle pastures. The mom cows would graze while one cow stayed back with a herd of calves in the corner close to our house. It was really interesting to watch. The calves just played in a group til it was time to go back over the hill for the night with their moms. I never knew this was a cow thing until we lived there.

Wheeeee!

I follow this woman on Instagram, real food Liz, and she has the cutest goats. She post videos of them and I have been know to watch them on repeat :P

this one lol

[bBvideo 560,340:2q9kfnh9]

[/bBvideo]

our neighbors had some goats and the herd would alternate playing king of the mountain on our car and/or squish together into the horse trailer, the whole herd of them, then bounce back out. There's no way if our neighbors actually wanted to take them anywhere that they'd go anywhere near the trailer. :lol:

Cows also have daycare for calves. :lol: My hubby was a ranch hand and we lived in a house on the ranch surrounded by cattle pastures. The mom cows would graze while one cow stayed back with a herd of calves in the corner close to our house. It was really interesting to watch. The calves just played in a group til it was time to go back over the hill for the night with their moms. I never knew this was a cow thing until we lived there.

I see this all time. I was raised around cow pastures. I love watching animals. Having well-trained herding dogs also helps keep predators at bay.

And Ken says the way to be happily married is to play possum--if you just die inside, the fact you made a horrible mistake in your choice of spouse won't make as much difference.

DEAD THINGS DON’T CARE ABOUT SELF, OR THE THINGS OF THIS WORLD!!!

That is right. The next time your spouse says or does something that begins to upset you just remind yourself that dead things don’t get upset in return. Beyond this, the clear teaching of the New Testament is that the believer becomes a new creature in Christ, the old is gone, and the life we live is alive to Christ and dead to sin.

so, What I get out of this is

blah blah blah salvation blah blah blah

then

bad segue to marriage and

Best way to be content in marriage is to die inside.... it works for us-- we no longer fight because we no longer give a shit. Thanks to Jesus we are just husks going through the motions.

And Ken says the way to be happily married is to play possum--if you just die inside, the fact you made a horrible mistake in your choice of spouse won't make as much difference.

then

Best way to be content in marriage is to die inside.... it works for us-- we no longer fight because we no longer give a shit. Thanks to Jesus we are just husks going through the motions.

Every time I think they've reached the bottom of the cesspools that are their brains, they prove me wrong. What a sad, shitty way to live.

then

I still think it's a shitty way to go through life...and they think EVERYONE's marriage should be like theirs? Guess they're jealous of those of us who have vibrant, ALIVE marriages...they're pathetic.

It almost sounds like an endorsement of suicide... Dead things don't feel anything... Subliminally implyin that you would be better off dead?

They are dead...brain dead and their bodies have yet to follow.

I can do captions, but I can't alter pictures. If someone with Photoshop or the like made a Ken and/or Lori zombie pic, I wouldn't complain . . . :twisted:

then

I almost laughed at this until I realized how pathetic it is. Even though I dislike Lorken, I do pity them because I can't imagine being that miserable with my spouse. And it's so obvious they're miserable except they don't realize that everyone can see it.

Why does lori feel the need to be so defensive about her kids' marriages by saying "they're still crazy about each other!" ??? Of course they are. Why would they not be?!

Oh that's right. You and ken hate each other. You're not used to marriages where people actually enjoy one another.

Often, after reading one of her posts (or one of Ken's, as he seems to have taken over most days lately), I find myself saying, 'methinks thou dost protest too much.' :roll:

Why does lori feel the need to be so defensive about her kids' marriages by saying "they're still crazy about each other!" ??? Of course they are. Why would they not be?!

Oh that's right. You and ken hate each other. You're not used to marriages where people actually enjoy one another.

That's a real possibility. Perhaps it's also Lori's way of sticking it to her readers as if to say, "Look how perfect and happily married our children are because we raised them right." And don't you love how Lori qualified her statement about how thrilled she is that her children are happily married "after walking in Truth, of course?" She always must remind her readers of that as well.

That's a real possibility. Perhaps it's also Lori's way of sticking it to her readers as if to say, "Look how perfect and happily married our children are because we raised them right." And don't you love how Lori qualified her statement about how thrilled she is that her children are happily married "after walking in Truth, of course?" She always must remind her readers of that as well.

Lori is painfully insecure

Maybe the nanny had a happy marriage and the kids somehow learned from her instead of their own parents.

Which of those young men is the one that made his child sit on a blanket screaming and refused to feed her? I have to wonder if his wife is truly happy. A decent mother would not let her child be treated that way unless she is also brow beaten. I also think Emily and Stephen are probably happy until they have to deal with Lori. Difficult in laws can cause quite a strain on a young marriage. In fact, I bet all those young couples have strife in their marriages when it comes to managing Ken and Lori.

Maybe the nanny had a happy marriage and the kids somehow learned from her instead of their own parents.

Which of those young men is the one that made his child sit on a blanket screaming and refused to feed her? I have to wonder if his wife is truly happy. A decent mother would not let her child be treated that way unless she is also brow beaten. I also think Emily and Stephen are probably happy until they have to deal with Lori. Difficult in laws can cause quite a strain on a young marriage. In fact, I bet all those young couples have strife in their marriages when it comes to managing Ken and Lori.

That would be Erin's husband.

As I understand it in Biblical times, as it is now, goats and sheep were raised primarily for food. A certain number of females were allowed to reach adulthood so that they could reproduce and provide milk. Most of the males were slaughtered early for meat. Older females who were past reproductive age or were no longer producing enough milk were also slaughtered. Why then are humans so often called to be sheep in the bible and why is god described as a shepherd? The end result isn't very palatable. Lori, personally I'd rather be neither a sheep or a goat.

Didn't she just recently post this about a picture of Steven and Emily? They've been married for 5 minutes. Why would they think it would even cross anyone's mind that they are not "still crazy about each other?" They are still in the honeymoon period, ffs.

Didn't she just recently post this about a picture of Steven and Emily? They've been married for 5 minutes. Why would they think it would even cross anyone's mind that they are not "still crazy about each other?" They are still in the honeymoon period, ffs.

I mentioned this in a Lori thread a few days ago: she posted a picture on FB from the wedding with the same caption "Still crazy about each other" and I thought it was super weird. It came across as very defensive.

Archived