IGNORED

Maxwell Dog and Pony Show - Fall 2014

twin2

It appears as if Steve is the only one not wearing a life vest. So incredibly stupid on his part. I know the water is calm but it is like wearing a seat belt in a car. You hope to never need one but it will save your life in an accident. I am a certified kayak instructor and work for a nonprofit that takes school kids on field trips to our local river to do water sports (if old enough) and science related activities. We have a zero tolerance policy on life vests for the kids and we all wear them too. Each year several people drown on our river because they weren't wearing life vests and they underestimated the water.

*edited because the cat stepped on the keyboard as I hit "submit"

Stupid Steve, you are not God, you are just a mere mortal like everyone else.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't see 'Cathy's' post on there now.

It's on the blog's second page, when they visited the beach.

Ugh, Matilda Jane. Sad to say this is not just a fundie thing. I have several friends who are obsessed with that line of clothing for their little girls. Ruffle bottom pants make me oh so happy I only have little boys. Can't stand them! There was a girl in my son's preschool class last year who wore ruffle bottom pants nearly every day.

I took a look through the Matilda Jane site (had flashbacks to Big Comfy Couch), and got the idea that the two dresses worn by the little girls upthread are Matilda Jane knockoffs, possibly made by their moms. The MJ stuff is ostentatiously bright and contains mixed patterns, but somehow they "go" in ways the ones in those two dresses don't.

From today's blog post;

"This morning we set out a bit earlier than yesterday, because Dad needed to be back by 9:30".

Why exactly did Steve need to be back by 9:30? It's not as though he has a job or anything.

From today's blog post;

"This morning we set out a bit earlier than yesterday, because Dad needed to be back by 9:30".

Why exactly did Steve need to be back by 9:30? It's not as though he has a job or anything.

9:30 is Free Jinger Time. Duh.

From today's blog post;

Because that's when the stock market opens?

Because yesterday when Stevie called customer service, they told him they would have an answer by 9:30 the next morning and he's not going to give them a moment's leeway?

Because that's when the stock market opens?

Because yesterday when Stevie called customer service, they told him they would have an answer by 9:30 the next morning and he's not going to give them a moment's leeway?

Silly, apparently he makes his kids call customer service! That's how they become such Great Conversationalists without having to actually physically interact with any heathen.

Silly, apparently he makes his kids call customer service! That's how they become such Great Conversationalists without having to actually physically interact with any heathen.

:doh:

From today's blog post;

9:30-10:00- Backrub from Terri. Duh.... :lol:

9:30-10:00- Backrub from Terri. Duh.... :lol:

:nanner-sex:

Brings a whole new meaning to Sweet Journeys, doesn't it?

I took a look through the Matilda Jane site (had flashbacks to Big Comfy Couch), and got the idea that the two dresses worn by the little girls upthread are Matilda Jane knockoffs, possibly made by their moms. The MJ stuff is ostentatiously bright and contains mixed patterns, but somehow they "go" in ways the ones in those two dresses don't.

ITA - maybe it's the camera lens they used for the website shoot or something, but all the dresses on the site seem to have the same basic color shade. It's hard to explain. They're garish but don't mix super brights with dulls like the dresses in the Duggar photo.

I think it's a cumulative effect: part of it's the camera and part of it's the combination of colors and patterns combined in one small space. One girl is wearing matching top and bottom (total overload of electric blue) plus a sister wearing a dress that's particularly busy even for that brand. The combination clashes horribly. On top of that one of the brightly colored purse and then Sarah's purple shirt...

Well, I'm glad I'm not seeing that mess while nursing a hangover is all I can say.

I think they are probably legit branded garments. The store has a pair of pants in same fabric as the contrasting print on the blue dress.

Does anyone else sorely tempted to write a comment about long, thick snakes (shudder)?

Or am I the only one who's that cruel?

Does anyone else sorely tempted to write a comment about long, thick snakes (shudder)?

Or am I the only one who's that cruel?

Anacondas, anyone?

I wouldn't be surprised if Teri and Sarah's despression is 100% situational.

I have often thought of this. Both Teri and Sarah are the ones still living in the compound that remember life before Daddy went down the rabbithole. Between that and watching her chances for a life of her own slip away by the day, Sarah must especially feel it. I can tell you from experience with my Maxwellian family that my sisters still at home were depressed with their situation and my youngest sister's depression got even worse after the other sister's wedding. So I would not be surprised if Sarah is suffering a particularly acute bout of it in the wake of Joseph's wedding.

I have often thought of this. Both Teri and Sarah are the ones still living in the compound that remember life before Daddy went down the rabbithole. Between that and watching her chances for a life of her own slip away by the day, Sarah must especially feel it. I can tell you from experience with my Maxwellian family that my sisters still at home were depressed with their situation and my youngest sister's depression got even worse after the other sister's wedding. So I would not be surprised if Sarah is suffering a particularly acute bout of it in the wake of Joseph's wedding.

I'm not so sure about Teri since IIRC the scheduling was brought in after her depression began to help her cope; Sarah on the other hand - she must be so miserable. :(

I'm not so sure about Teri since IIRC the scheduling was brought in after her depression began to help her cope; Sarah on the other hand - she must be so miserable. :(

Teri has stated that her depression was "hormonal" and treated by God, OTC progesterone cream and schedules. I've always assumed a PPD link and possible improvement with menopause. But then I'm cynical about God, topical creams, and rigid schedules working magic on clinical depression.

But, yes. Living under Steve's rules could cause situational depression in anyone. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Sarah is depressed.

'But then I'm cynical about God, topical creams, and rigid schedules working magic on clinical depression'

Yep that makes two of us! They are well off and living in a country with readily available, REAL treatments for depression and yet they are denied help by Steve. I hope he's proud of himself.

Teri was severely depressed after the first 3. That's why Steve got snipped. She was probably in her early to mid 30's. She was well before menopause.

Steve might have gotten "tired" of it and that is what started pushing him over the edge.

When Sarah was 7-8, he decided to get it "reversed" and Teri should schedule and trust God.

Teri has stated that her depression was "hormonal" and treated by God, OTC progesterone cream and schedules. I've always assumed a PPD link and possible improvement with menopause. But then I'm cynical about God, topical creams, and rigid schedules working magic on clinical depression.

But, yes. Living under Steve's rules could cause situational depression in anyone. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Sarah is depressed.

I am inclined to think that, for Teri, her depression could be both chronic/PPD and situational. LIfe in that home sounds like living in the gulag, quite frankly, and that certainly can't help. But given the extreme rules and beliefs it's really hard to know how much is what.

But one thing: Teri had choices when younger to live life. She went to college, dated, got married, had three kids and done before the reversal. She had choices and opportunities, but denied same to Sarah. Sarah is allowed only two options: Wife/motherhood or SAHD. And now Sarah sits, waiting and watching her chances for option no. 1 slip away while forcing her to live option no. 2 possibly for the rest of her life.

It's so very tragic.

Teri was severely depressed after the first 3. That's why Steve got snipped. She was probably in her early to mid 30's. She was well before menopause.

Steve might have gotten "tired" of it and that is what started pushing him over the edge.

When Sarah was 7-8, he decided to get it "reversed" and Teri should schedule and trust God.

Oh yes. All of the above and we've discussed this many times. It's one of the many things that enrages me about Steve. He has a wife who is "hormonally" depressed (possible PPD), totally unable to function (by her own report) and to take care of the 3 children they already have so Steve's solution:

- Reverse the vasectomy (without consulting Teri by his own testimony),

- Have more babies to increase the pressure on Teri and the existing children,

- Put rigid schedules into place (supposedly this was to help Teri by relieving her of responsibility to think),

- Quit the job that required frequent travel. Perhaps the only good decision he made but it may not have been voluntary.

If he had not left his job, and been able to ensure the children were safe and not completely neglected due to Teri's serious depression, then we might have seen an Andrea Yates-type breakdown for Teri. I think they gloss over all that in their presentations and books. It's unclear when Teri's depression began to lift properly after having 5 more babies. I'm only suspecting that menopause had something to do with it but I've no proof at all.

Having the reversal knowing full well his wife was struggling always ticked me off. How he could justify having more children when his wife couldn't cope with the three they had?

Having the reversal knowing full well his wife was struggling always ticked me off. How he could justify having more children when his wife couldn't cope with the three they had?

God.

Archived