IGNORED

What would happen if Michelle died during pregnancy?

ProfessorLongbottom

I think Jim Bob would be like most men I've known who were completely besotted and dependent on their wives , and then she dies.

He'd probably intensely grieve and be a wreck for several months and then either 1) settle into mourning and the role of widower for life - or- 2) Jump waaaaayyyyy too quickly into a new relationship ( which for him would mean marriage ) , with any luck it would be someone who actually cares about him and the kids-- but mostly I've seen guys in this situation drawn to some really awful, mercenary, hyper-controlling women.

What's weird is, in my experience, you can never tell which path the guy will take, and it's often a shock when sweet, bumbling Uncle George, who seemed lost without Aunt Gina, comes home with some 25 year old bitch-on-wheels. Or bossy, macho Grandpa Tony, who always demanded Grandma Maria had his dinner on the table at 5 sharp --sinks into a deep depression and turns their house into an alter to his dead wife.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think any sort of crisis has the potential to drive them deeper in to fundiedom or be the catalyst for them to finally get out.

If by some miracle they decided to get out, I wonder if they'd do it with the same evangelical zeal. Would they keep their show and chronicle their journey out of the season of legalism, hoping that it might help others?

I don't think they have been equipped with the tools necessary to deal with that kind of emotional trauma.

Many super-religious families are not prepared for that sort of thing. They're told to just keep praying and rely on God and that we can't understand why God allows bad things to happen. In my experience, very few people will say to them, "it's OK to be angry. It's OK to question your faith when something awful happens." Also, when one believes they are continually blessed by God for their obedience, they may think they've done something wrong to no longer be so blessed.

Not good, and definitely not healthy.

I can see JB being a bit of a Queen Vicky if (god-forbid) Michelle was to die, an eternal mourner. However I reckon he would hire a housekeeper who he may grow close to and we'd have a whole loada TH from the elder girls about how they want Daddy to be happy etc etc and maybe, just maybe he might remarry.

There is no denying his love for Michelle.

As sweet a thought it would be if Jim Bob loved Michelle enough to never re-marry do you think he could go another [potential] 20-40 years without ever having sex again?

Some people can. When my grandmother died, my grandfather never remarried or had sex.

Archived