IGNORED

Behind Enemy lines

debrand

Okay, I can't believe I did this, but after reading the article, I was so disturbed that I sent an e-mail to all of the AP's, at the school. The actual principal did not have a listed e-mail address. I copied the article, in it's entirety, and inserted the website link. Hopefully, someone will take action. I absolutely would not want this guy teaching my kids.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feel pretty stupid. Didn't take the time to read the whole thread, so didn't realize a poster above had already done this. Well, it probably won't do any harm for the school to hear from as many upset parents, as possible.

^^^

I agree. Officials are more likely to listen to multiple complaints instead of one person who could be seen as an outlier.

Hey everyone,

The following is the response I received from the principal. I'm a little confused. I thought they were supposedly, already looking into this. I hope so. If the school tries to sweep this under the rug, I think someone should alert the newspapers. Someone who lives in this area would be more credible and I honestly am not trying to poke my nose into something that is none of my business. However, I would be glad to do it, if no one else wants to.

Mrs. Elliot,

Thank you for your email and we will be looking into this situation.

Jesse T. Williams

Assistant Principal

Fuquay-Varina High School

(919) 557-2519

He also finds time to teach homeschool classes on such topics as Biblical Worldview, Apologetics, and Evangelism Training and Spanish [various levels] with a Biblical Worldview: educationreformation.org/classes.htm

How on earth does he find time to do that, in addition to teaching at the EPS? My kids' teachers are at the school for hours after the kids are dismissed.

Well, from my experience (in a different country, but I guess people are the same everywhere) you can be this sort of teacher or that sort.

You can keep tweaking you classes/work sheets/tests to fit the class you are currently teaching or to make improvements that occurred to you... or you can recycle them over and over again.

You can take part in extracurricular activities at school, volunteer, teach extra classes (like sports)... or you don't take part.

You can be involved in the development and care for the well-being of your pupils by being available for them and their parents after school hours... or you're not available.

And my bet is a teacher with this attitude to his own school is a teacher who puts the minimum time and effort into his job (very Christian, btw), and so teaching wit this attitude can be less time consuming after you've taught the same class a few times and have your curriculum worked out, complete with assignments, tests and solutions, so even correcting tests will be rather quick, especially in science where students usually do not write very long essays. Or if you never bothered to develop an own curriculum in the first place and just copied pre-made lessons from books and the internet, it's even quicker.

Hey everyone,

The following is the response I received from the principal. I'm a little confused. I thought they were supposedly, already looking into this. I hope so. If the school tries to sweep this under the rug, I think someone should alert the newspapers. Someone who lives in this area would be more credible and I honestly am not trying to poke my nose into something that is none of my business. However, I would be glad to do it, if no one else wants to.

Mrs. Elliot,

Jesse T. Williams

Assistant Principal

(919) 557-2519

If they are already looking into it and considering actions that they can take, they would be advised by lawyers to not issue any public statements or provide comments in reply to inquiries. Hence, replies such as the one that you got.

If they are already looking into it and considering actions that they can take, they would be advised by lawyers to not issue any public statements or provide comments in reply to inquiries. Hence, replies such as the one that you got.

No,I understand that. I was just confused about the use of future, as opposed to past tense, regarding whether they are looking into it. I would have expected them to say, "We are already looking into it," or, "We have already looked into it."

I did start to lose my christian faith in high school, but it wasn't because of the dedicated atheistic teachers plotting with Satan. It was because almost everyone in my immediate friendship circle became fundie or fundie lite. The day they abducted me to convince me to become born again was the day I started questioning the faith.

Abducted? What? Details please!

When I was a kid in the eighties I went to a private Christian school that employed a teacher that was married to a public school teacher. He wouldn't stop evangelising to his students, and if I recall correctly, he was arrested 3 times. Every damn time the jackass was celebrated as a spiritual warrior doing battle with the devil on the beast's home turf. I just gagged a bit typing that. The church would take up a collection to pay his legal bills and fines. Still pisses me the hell off. Why not just give the jerk a job at, you know, the Christian school? I'm still bitter about my gd upbringing a bit.

Dang. He's taken the post down and replaced it with a heartfelt apology to anyone who was offended. He's still against public schools for Christians, though.

When I was a kid in the eighties I went to a private Christian school that employed a teacher that was married to a public school teacher. He wouldn't stop evangelising to his students, and if I recall correctly, he was arrested 3 times. Every damn time the jackass was celebrated as a spiritual warrior doing battle with the devil on the beast's home turf. I just gagged a bit typing that. The church would take up a collection to pay his legal bills and fines. Still pisses me the hell off. Why not just give the jerk a job at, you know, the Christian school? I'm still bitter about my gd upbringing a bit.

I went to a public high school in a fairly liberal, university area and I'll never forget the math teacher I had that didn't believe there were ever dinosaurs. That played into our hands, though, because we knew that he was easily distracted by subjects relating to faith and the lack of dinosaurs, so if we didn't want to hear the lesson that day, we'd ask a question to purposely start him on that tangent. We heard a lot of crazy that semester...

I don't care how many times he apologizes. This isn't so much about his beliefs, but how those beliefs transfer into the way he teaches. For example, just the fact that he posted on the No Greater Joy Ministries page, tells me that he probably agrees that girls/women need to stay home and take care of lots of babies, versus obtaining an education. This belief has to skew how he interacts/teaches the young women in his classroom. How many times, does he ignore the girls/women in his classroom, or not put much effort into teaching them, because he doesn't think they are worth the time. I'm thinking in terms of Chemistry, or Physics. And, if he's teaching Life Science, I have no doubt that NO ONE is getting all of the information. Plain and simple, this guy does not belong in a public school classroom.

I don't care how many times he apologizes. This isn't so much about his beliefs, but how those beliefs transfer into the way he teaches. For example, just the fact that he posted on the No Greater Joy Ministries page, tells me that he probably agrees that girls/women need to stay home and take care of lots of babies, versus obtaining an education. This belief has to skew how he interacts/teaches the young women in his classroom. How many times, does he ignore the girls/women in his classroom, or not put much effort into teaching them, because he doesn't think they are worth the time. I'm thinking in terms of Chemistry, or Physics. And, if he's teaching Life Science, I have no doubt that NO ONE is getting all of the information. Plain and simple, this guy does not belong in a public school classroom.

I agree, this type of teacher doesn't belong in a public school, especially as a science teacher. He would be better off in a private Christian school where his beliefs would fit right in.

Hey everyone,

Mrs. Elliot,

Jesse T. Williams

Assistant Principal

(919) 557-2519

The following was posted on no greater joy in the comments, yesterday 9/4:

"K. Bennett

To Nichole & Chandler ~

Please know Mr. Fournier and this matter is currently being investigated by the Wake County School Board and FVHS.

They are seeking information and the names of the students this man referenced in his article and book. They are also seeking information about him proselytizing in the classroom and not teaching the required course material. If you have any such information, I strongly encourage you to contact:

Dr. J. Bryan Martin

Senior Director for Employee Relations

Wake County Public School System

Crossroads I

5625 Dillard Drive

Cary, NC 27518

Phone: 919 854-1685

Fax: 919 854-1689"

I am guessing that his apology on no greater joy is in direct correlation with Dr. Martin's comment, I bet he was forced to apologize and redact his article.

I wonder if he could get in trouble for discussing students, especially their sexuality. If he gets fired the fundie homeschool groups will just hire him to tell them how horrible public school is.

I went to a public high school in a fairly liberal, university area and I'll never forget the math teacher I had that didn't believe there were ever dinosaurs. That played into our hands, though, because we knew that he was easily distracted by subjects relating to faith and the lack of dinosaurs, so if we didn't want to hear the lesson that day, we'd ask a question to purposely start him on that tangent. We heard a lot of crazy that semester...

I had the delightful opposite experience (also in a very liberal, progressive, university-laden area) -- a high school math teacher who, when we had finished the requisite math lesson (fairly advanced math, IIRC, possibly pre-calculus), would read to us from "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance." We learned to do our math quickly to make sure there was time enough for another chapter in the book before the end of class! (This was also the teacher who would call in sick if the surf was up, but that's another story, lol)

One of my favorite high school memories...

I agree, this type of teacher doesn't belong in a public school, especially as a science teacher. He would be better off in a private Christian school where his beliefs would fit right in.

I would prefer to see him digging ditches or cleaning porta-potties for a living. :D

Lori Alexander is a Fucking Monster mentioned yesterday that she has a guest post coming from a public school teacher. So we may be getting this v 2.0 in the coming days.

I really don't know which way this will go.

Will he get canned because everyone is disgusted with his actions with the exception of fundies who will make him into a martyr who will speak at conferences and make a living doing that.

or will the christian right rally around him because of "christian persecution" and make him into some sort of fox news folk hero a la cliven bundy and the hobby lobby people?

Voddie posted about it on FB this morning: “Another ‘great’ district exposed.â€

facebook.com/VoddieBaucham/posts/10152557149642550

Archived