IGNORED

Teri Maxwell on Modesty

kpmom

I find it kind of funny that they claim their modesty is so that one is drawn to the face, not the attention whoring clothing of the rest of the sinners of the world. Yet, their clothing is so different than mainstream that I'd bet the majority of people see their clothes and never even notice the clothes wearing bodies have heads with faces. Especially since they always travel in a pack. I can walk by a hundred women in shorts and t-shirts and not notice their clothes at all. If I were to walk by a pack of Docker's & polo shirt wearing men accompanied by frumper wearing women their clothes are exactly what I notice.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I want a shirt that says EYE TRAP across the chest.

I want one too!

Also, these people are crazy. They went to an airport to stare at men and what they were looking at? And I'm the one who gets "randomly searched" at security... :roll: So not fair!

Because...Flowers are pretty and colourful so if they are across the chest area that's where they draw the eye instead of the face? :lol: That's all I got. I love small floral patterns. I would think the Maxwells would be more of an eye trap because i'd definately be like * WTF are they wearing, must stare at thei rclothes instead of their face*. Personally, I find a woman with a pretty face the biggest eye trap for me :) I shudder to think what the Maxwells would do if they figured out that was a possiblity. Or is it okay to stare at someone's face with "lust in your heart" or whatever because it's still the face?

Yes this! I will notice an attractive face, then body shape, then details. These guys must be super pervs if seeing a FLORAL PATTERN gets them off. How about just not staring at women, eh?

And the one has on pants, what a slut...

That will make Steve cry. Then he'll search out her husband and have a talk with him about how he could possibly allow his wife to dress in a way that creates an irresistible eye trap for Stevie.

I find it kind of funny that they claim their modesty is so that one is drawn to the face, not the attention whoring clothing of the rest of the sinners of the world. Yet, their clothing is so different than mainstream that I'd bet the majority of people see their clothes and never even notice the clothes wearing bodies have heads with faces. Especially since they always travel in a pack. I can walk by a hundred women in shorts and t-shirts and not notice their clothes at all. If I were to walk by a pack of Docker's & polo shirt wearing men accompanied by frumper wearing women their clothes are exactly what I notice.

I agree fundies and others like the Maxwells probably do draw attention when they are out in public. Usually families don't really dress alike in extremely modest clothing. Sometimes when I'm out in public and I see fundie types, I also notice others staring at them. I think people probably wonder what their deal is. I remember when the Duggars' show first started, my boyfriend said that the boys reminded me him of a Gap commercial.

There's only one solution!

burqa.jpg

No, the contrasting buttons on the skirt of the woman on the right are a defrauding eye trap. Obviously.

Speaking of women in middle eastern coverings, did you know in Middle Eastern culture that it is okay for them to whip out a breast and breast feed in public? This is not considered inappropriate. Reporters often comment on the strangeness of seeing women totally covered, who will be in trouble without their coverings, yet can have a breast exposed. What does that say about our own country and its crazy hang-ups about a totally natural process????

No, the contrasting buttons on the skirt of the woman on the right are a defrauding eye trap. Obviously.

And everyone knows blue is the biggest eye trap of a colour. :roll: There is no solution good enough for Steve Maxwell.

Ok, I came up with an even better solution. All women will have to go around in a giant cardboard box on wheels (no feet showing!) There will be a window in the front with black fabric that women can see out of but no one can see into. To go shopping or do anything where items are exchanged, the woman will have to use a robotic arm similar to the claw found in those toy machines at Denny's and cheap motels. To exchange money, a little cup on the end of a pole will be sent out with exact change. See, it's really simple and it will totally help men learn the favored character quality of SELF CONTROL! :roll:

And everyone knows blue is the biggest eye trap of a colour. :roll: There is no solution good enough for Steve Maxwell.

I wonder if they make those in calico.

When fundies notice people staring they probably think it is because those people are admiring the modest attire. I doubt most onlookers are drawn solely to their smiling faces. Most men are probably wondering what is underneath the frumper or burqua.

However much we snark on the subject and however much fundies pontificate on their concept of modesty and its reasons, I will never, ever understand what the big freaking deal is. To me, those who obsess over 'being modest' are the ones that are actually obsessed with women and sex. Just like Stevie. He sinks into shame and gets near tears at seeing a woman not covered in a way he deems appropriate. That, Mr. Maxwell, is your problem, not anyone else's and certainly not the problem of the woman who isn't dressed the way you want her to be.

Whenever a fundie goes off on modesty, I immediately think they have issues with sex/women/skin/people and are nothing short of obsessed. And I think that because they have issues with their own self control they make it someone else's issue.

Ok, I came up with an even better solution. All women will have to go around in a giant cardboard box on wheels (no feet showing!) There will be a window in the front with black fabric that women can see out of but no one can see into. To go shopping or do anything where items are exchanged, the woman will have to use a robotic arm similar to the claw found in those toy machines at Denny's and cheap motels. To exchange money, a little cup on the end of a pole will be sent out with exact change. See, it's really simple and it will totally help men learn the favored character quality of SELF CONTROL! :roll:

:lol: This is hilarious... but the scary thing is that this might please the great Steve-o--at least until he encountered a woman whose black eye-fabric was semi-sheer...

One of the most helpful things we did was when we had a school assignment on dressing modestly. There were some very specific examples with drawings given of eye traps. These were styles of womens clothing that draw the eye away from the face and to other parts of the body. Some were a revelation to me! I had to go to my husband and ask, Steve, if you see a woman with a slit in her skirt does it draw your eyes to her legs? We went through each of the examples and he confirmed that they were eye traps for men. We also went to the airport and sat the family in a busy spot. We watched the people specifically watching mens eyes as they looked at women with some of these clothing styles on. Ugh! What a lesson for our daughter!

They had to be using Wisdom Booklets at that time because this is a real thing that they have in them. Complete with going to watch and judge people.

I'll just never understand why women, like Teri, make such a big deal out of dressing modestly. Really, she's not attractive in the least! If she dressed "immodestly" I'm guessing most men would look away. I don't usually like picking on other women's looks, but, well....she started it!

I also completely agree with the posters who pointed out that the way the Maxwells dress in public, do in fact create "eye traps" for pretty much anyone. Who doesnn't stare when a group of people dressed in frumpers walks around?!

Read the Harris' brothers modesty survey on the Rebelution site. There are all sorts of "eye traps" for guys. The modesty survey refers to them as stumbling blocks. Pockets on shirts, floral patterns, stripes, lace, dresses with a waist, a sweatshirt with a word or words across the chest, slits in long or short sleeves, skirts with many layers, fitted skirts or dresses...the list is long and some have problems with virtually anything. I am sure the Maxwells will agree with all of the modesty issues in the survey. I am all for dressing modestly as in not showing my cleavage, although at my age no one is going to want to look, but avoiding a pattern on my shirt because some guy might look lower than the face? Not my problem!

And what about guys being modest? Don't the Maxwells realize that women can notice other parts of a man besides his face? Shouldn't men be wearing robes or at least really long, untucked shirts so we don't notice how manly they are? I'm lookin' at you, Dougie!

My mother sent me a link to that survey, as I wasn't dressing modestly enough for her standards and I 'need to be a good example to the little girls' who are already obsessed with modesty.

I like the term 'stumbling block' better than 'eye trap' because the first indicates an action, albeit unintentional, on the part of the guy, whereas the second indicates nefarious intent on the part of the woman.

I'll just never understand why women, like Teri, make such a big deal out of dressing modestly. Really, she's not attractive in the least! If she dressed "immodestly" I'm guessing most men would look away. I don't usually like picking on other women's looks, but, well....she started it!

I also completely agree with the posters who pointed out that the way the Maxwells dress in public, do in fact create "eye traps" for pretty much anyone. Who doesnn't stare when a group of people dressed in frumpers walks around?!

I agree. If she wore a cheap walmart t-shirt and elastic waist old lady jeans no one would even look at her. The frumpers make people look at her ,especially when they all match,so I will never understand that line of thinking. I stare when I see the fundies in their jean skirts and tennis shoes, can't help it! (plus I try to get close so I can get some scoop to share with the board :))

Oh oh that description gave me an idea! Doctor Who fans out there, can we make a Dalek-like contraption for women to squish into? They'd be fucking impenetrable!

From that lovely article:

We only wear dresses, skirts, or jumpers that are mid-shin or longer. Before I made this change in my way of dressing about ten years ago, I asked Steve whether it was true that men looked differently at a woman dressed in slacks than they would at a woman in a modest dress. He said, Yes. I also noticed this on my daily walks. Once I began walking in a jumper, I was no longer subjected to the hoots and hollers from the uncouth that had been a regular occurrence even though I wore clothes I considered modest. My new walking clothing seemed to raise me to a level of respect.

:laughing-rofl::laughing-rolling::laughing-rollingyellow:

Men hitting on Teri? Rrrigght. Modest clothing or not, Teri is the most frumpy lady on the planet.

Oh and going to the airport to stare at women in immodest clothing? Yeah, that's not psycho at all.

Staring at women in immodest clothing on PURPOSE is a bit... obsessive and kind of counterproductive. Isn't their whole goal to AVOID immodestly dressed women? Why stare at them on purpose? Is it just me or do the Maxwells get some kind of kinky satisfaction when it comes to obsessing over/discussing immodestly dressed women? I'd hate to have a group of them ogle me while I'm walking down the street. "See that women in that super tight, see-through blouse with buttons? What a sinner! Is she showing any cleavage?" :ugeek:

One of the most helpful things we did was when we had a school assignment on dressing modestly. There were some very specific examples with drawings given of eye traps. These were styles of womens clothing that draw the eye away from the face and to other parts of the body. Some were a revelation to me! I had to go to my husband and ask, Steve, if you see a woman with a slit in her skirt does it draw your eyes to her legs? We went through each of the examples and he confirmed that they were eye traps for men. We also went to the airport and sat the family in a busy spot. We watched the people specifically watching mens eyes as they looked at women with some of these clothing styles on. Ugh! What a lesson for our daughter!

They had to be using Wisdom Booklets at that time because this is a real thing that they have in them. Complete with going to watch and judge people.

I would love for someone from FJ to get their hands on Wisdom Booklets and do a little "distance course" using them. We could all go to our respective airports and look for eye traps, then we could talk about bankruptcy and how to curl our hair. Then later, maybe we could try to write the SATs.

Archived