IGNORED

Deth to Duck Dynasty?!

MamaJunebug

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YES death to that waste of airtime. I'm sick of their stupid faces and stupid names and stupid beards and stupid crap EVERYWHERE. Not to mention the insulting, ignorant views.

Hasn't been the world's best day.

Compounded by sighting Duck Dynasty Duck Tape, $5 DD t-shirts and Miss Kay's cookbook at K-Mart.

Well, that was K-mart, right?

Then I got to a pretty nice supermarket and my eyes were assaulted by this:

http://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-37222 ... fornia-usa

As if I'd ever pay a nickel penny for that!

Because I'm a provincial so-and-so who barely knows what's going on across the state line, I was shocked, I tell you, to realize that the governor of Louisiana is a first-generation Indian-American Roman Catholic with whom the Robertsons pray!!!! He, who recites the "Our Father" and attends a church where a liturgy is followed????? When the Robertsons' denomination believes no good prayer is anything but absolutely spontaneous and from-the-heart.

Politics, it maketh the strange bedfellows, forsooth and for true.

:music-tool: s, the lot of them.

Compounded by sighting Duck Dynasty Duck Tape, $5 DD t-shirts and Miss Kay's cookbook at K-Mart.

Because I'm a provincial so-and-so who barely knows what's going on across the state line, I was shocked, I tell you, to realize that the governor of Louisiana is a first-generation Indian-American Roman Catholic. And the Robinsons pray with him? He, who recites the "Our Father" and attends a church where a liturgy is followed?????

I know two women very well-versed in wine. One is a notable food and drink reporter here in Milwaukee. The other is the director of communications for a California wine company. If they had graves, they'd be rolling in them.

Because I'm a provincial so-and-so who barely knows what's going on across the state line, I was shocked, I tell you, to realize that the governor of Louisiana is a first-generation Indian-American Roman Catholic with whom the Robertsons pray!!!! He, who recites the "Our Father" and attends a church where a liturgy is followed????? When the Robertsons' denomination believes no good prayer is anything but absolutely spontaneous and from-the-heart.

Wait a minute...they drink and sell alcohol??? Because as we all well know, all good fundagelicals are tea-totalers. I know fundie-lite people who will not even eat at a restaurant where alcohol is served.

I'm confused now.

louisa05, the Church Of Christ apparently has no prohibitions on liquor, dancing, TV or suchlike.

The deomination's big thing, historically, is that they repeat NO prayers, but pray them only "from the heart." Furthermore, they until very recently barred any kind of musical instrument from worship services -- it was all a cappella.

Now, why the repeating of song lyrics is ok, but repeating a prayer that Jesus Of Nazareth gave His disciples is not ok, I've never been able to figure out -- but then I've never wanted to ask the COC member I know.

I'm fixin to attend one of their services, mostly to hear what the singing's like. But I've been advised to attend the early service, not the late, because a praise band with ampifiers, yet, is very much in-place at the late service.

I hold no ill-will toward COC members in general -- the DD people .... yeah, that'scomplicateddifferent.

They lost the key viewing demo, which happens to be a demo that is far more open to gay marriage than others.

TBH I don't really think the reason is completely due to people objecting to their obnoxious views (though some are!). It seems that TV trends are changing...more folks are ditching cable for netflix, hulu etc. There is such a huge amount of content and a lot of really high quality dramas being made (Orange is the New Black, True Detective, anything on HBO etc). Reality TV will be around forever, but I think it's days as the dominant form of television is over for now.

Good points there. I admit I used to watch a lot of reality shows, but in the past couple of years I watch mostly scripted shows and a couple of reality singing competitions. I know people who cut cable and satellite partially because they hated a lot of reality shows both on broadcast and cable. Bates Motel on A&E is one of my favorite shows. I don't think it is extremely great, but at times it is hard to deal with Duck Dynasty being on the same network.

louisa05, the Church Of Christ apparently has no prohibitions on liquor, dancing, TV or suchlike.

The deomination's big thing, historically, is that they repeat NO prayers, but pray them only "from the heart." Furthermore, they until very recently barred any kind of musical instrument from worship services -- it was all a cappella.

Now, why the repeating of song lyrics is ok, but repeating a prayer that Jesus Of Nazareth gave His disciples is not ok, I've never been able to figure out -- but then I've never wanted to ask the COC member I know.

I'm fixin to attend one of their services, mostly to hear what the singing's like. But I've been advised to attend the early service, not the late, because a praise band with ampifiers, yet, is very much in-place at the late service.

I hold no ill-will toward COC members in general -- the DD people .... yeah, that'scomplicateddifferent.

Which Church of Christ is this? There are many. I have a number of relatives involved in a denomination called that that bans make-up, hair products besides shampoo, pants on women, all alcohol (and in most cases being in an establishment that sells it), television, movies, dancing, and in some individual churches--instruments including pianos and organs.

The objection to written prayers including the Lord's Prayer/Our Father is not unusual in evangelical and fundamentalist churches. Even some people and churches in the more mainline Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) adhere to that one.

On the matter of the Duck Morons selling alcohol--never mind their denomination and its viewpoint, I'm surprised they are able to keep the loyalty of the general evangelical/fundie-lite audience they are courting if they openly drink. That is such a huge thing that most Christian schools (including the one I taught at) require staff to sign a contract that they will not drink any alcohol even in the privacy of their own homes.

Bee Gees? No, just no. Ugliest, weirdest brothers ever. The hair, the teeth, the other teeth. The turtleneck jumpers and very tight pants (might explain the breathy high pitched warbling I guess).

You fan girls can have them all to yourselves. And keep them far far away from my eyes and ears thanks.

Now this is the real reason the world is doomed. A generation of people who cannot understand the charms of the brothers Gibb. I weep for humanity. :snooty:

Oh, back to the Robertsons. They care as much for wine as the do for the Bible, meaning they only care if they can make a buck from either. How much money can be squeezed out of both is the only critical thought they are willing to invest.

Which Church of Christ is this? There are many. I have a number of relatives involved in a denomination called that that bans make-up, hair products besides shampoo, pants on women, all alcohol (and in most cases being in an establishment that sells it), television, movies, dancing, and in some individual churches--instruments including pianos and organs.

The objection to written prayers including the Lord's Prayer/Our Father is not unusual in evangelical and fundamentalist churches. Even some people and churches in the more mainline Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) adhere to that one.

On the matter of the Duck Morons selling alcohol--never mind their denomination and its viewpoint, I'm surprised they are able to keep the loyalty of the general evangelical/fundie-lite audience they are courting if they openly drink. That is such a huge thing that most Christian schools (including the one I taught at) require staff to sign a contract that they will not drink any alcohol even in the privacy of their own homes.

louisa05, you know so much more than I do - I wonder that you asked me to begin with! I know one COC member and do not like him; I am vaguely acquainted with another who so far shows far more reasonability and gentleness. The information I've gleaned from those gents represents the extent of my knowledge of COC and of their practices. The guy I dislike is forcefully critical of anybody who prays "by memory" and has accused Lutherans of "worshiping Martin Luther because I sure don't see 'Christ' in your church name!" (We don't worship Matty. In fact half the time we roll our eyes about some of the things he wrote/said.)

The guy I know peripherally was generous to invite me to one of their services even though I admitted that I was really interested only in the a capella singing. That's all I know. I do appreciate your insights into the various cultures.

Any employer who told me to promise not to drink wine in my home would have to offer some great compensation, that's all I can say. Compensation enough to permit me to spend weekends out of town where I could kick back some Pinot Grigio. Waay out of town, I'd venture to say.

No, on reflection -- no. I'd have to be more desperate than I can imagine being, to sign an agreement that limited my behavior within the walls of my own home. The nerve!

:pull-hair: jerks.

doggie's link above is a must-read. If *ever* I'd've relented and considered purchasing some DD-labeled trinket, -- no, just no.

Despicable people, the lot of them.

doggie's link above is a must-read. If *ever* I'd've relented and considered purchasing some DD-labeled trinket, -- no, just no.

Despicable people, the lot of them.

Plus you know if they donate to charity it is to show how good of a christian they are. They don't have a humble bone or beard between them.

Oh, crap. Joann's was where I found the stupid apron pattern.

Oh, why is it taking so long for this Duck Dynasty craze to fade away?

louisa05, you know so much more than I do - I wonder that you asked me to begin with! I know one COC member and do not like him; I am vaguely acquainted with another who so far shows far more reasonability and gentleness. The information I've gleaned from those gents represents the extent of my knowledge of COC and of their practices. The guy I dislike is forcefully critical of anybody who prays "by memory" and has accused Lutherans of "worshiping Martin Luther because I sure don't see 'Christ' in your church name!" (We don't worship Matty. In fact half the time we roll our eyes about some of the things he wrote/said.)

The guy I know peripherally was generous to invite me to one of their services even though I admitted that I was really interested only in the a capella singing. That's all I know. I do appreciate your insights into the various cultures.

Any employer who told me to promise not to drink wine in my home would have to offer some great compensation, that's all I can say. Compensation enough to permit me to spend weekends out of town where I could kick back some Pinot Grigio. Waay out of town, I'd venture to say.

No, on reflection -- no. I'd have to be more desperate than I can imagine being, to sign an agreement that limited my behavior within the walls of my own home. The nerve!

My mother's uncle and two of her cousins were pastors in Churches of Christ once upon a time.

The contract I signed there was pretty mild, actually. The school was considered a bit too liberal by some parents for not banning teachers from movie theaters, concerts, and restaurants that serve alcohol, and letting the women wear pants in the winter. Another Christian school in the area made teachers agree not to see any movie rated anything but G in a theater and nothing PG-13 or R at home, banned them from any type of concert (including things as innocuous as the symphony) and required them to submit detailed information about the church they attended prior to being employed. It also made women quit if they were pregnant and would not employ women with children under age six.

Good grief, Duck Dynasty Valentine's Day chocolates? Never actually caught those, I can't decide if that's better or worse than the DD cosmetic sets I saw. I wonder if it's ever occurred to these guys that it actually might not be a good idea to slap their mugs on every piece of merchandise in existence.

I did see the Meet the Robertsons DVDs, and they aren't moving in my area, either. I wonder if a large part of the backlash is due to people who are offended that DD is releasing its own version of the Bible.

siiiigh

Ain' it roman'ic?

http://www.amazon.com/Duck-Dynasty-Comm ... B00HJH8IHY

The beards were not so much a "change of style" though as--for the younger generation--they were a conscious way of creating a "redneck" persona for the sake of marketing the television show. And that's why the before the show family photos of the sons and their wives/children that look like they all fell out of a J. Crew catalogue are not sitting well with some fans who fell for the whole schtick. Giving up pantyhose (in a world in which most people have given them up) is a very different thing than making the drastic change they did which just happened to coincide with the beginning of their show. Another interesting fact is that the show carefully avoids filming their homes in much detail because they are modern, well decorated mansions that do not match the "redneck" image. My relatives (bless them...) didn't realize they were that wealthy until the attention that came to all of it after the infamous interview.

In short, a lot of people who thought that the show (and all reality television) was "real" have learned otherwise.

fake-dynasty.jpg

What bothers me so much about this isn't just that they changed their looks to try to portray stereotypical poor southern hicks, where being a hick and a redneck is something to be proud of because you're sticking to who you are, but that my dad had the same long beard and hair. He was from the south where hair grows long because you've got more important things to do than a daily shave.

If the Robertsons tried to look like the stereotypical poor inner-city white family, they'd be called out for it. But noooooooo they've got all these idiot-fans who defend them for being a rich white family pretending to be a poor, hard-working family.

Archived