IGNORED

Erika Shupe says you need less entertainment

That just breaks my heart about that little boy crying in that picture. You know he's looking up at mom or dad who is threatening a spanking if he doesn't slap on the smile for the picture.

This woman is nuts. Also though she is not your typical submissive fundie. She cuts her hair short and I get the vibe that she wears the pants in the relationship. I think she LIKES "submitting" to her husband but is the one making all the crazy religious rules around the house, not him.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Einstein said, "If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales." This stress on literalism may be Christian[tm][/tm], but it restricts kids in ways you can't imagine. The most brilliant people I know had rich fantasy lives as kids.

I read the Narnia books when I was a kid and enjoyed them.

I also read Mein Kampf in high school and did a book report for my English class.

I've been reading Ana mardloll's Narnia deconstructions for years. Www. Anamardoll.com

She's the only person I've met so far who has ANYTHING negative a out Narnia to say at all.

I've been reading Ana mardloll's Narnia deconstructions for years. Www. Anamardoll.com

She's the only person I've met so far who has ANYTHING negative a out Narnia to say at all.

Very interesting! Thank you for the new addiction lol :cracking-up:

I was the same, I would read anything. I used to read my mom's parenting magazine when I was really little, just because it was there. I would read the back of shampoo bottles when in the bath, just because it was there. I was always the kid who would be reading chapters ahead of the book we were reading in class, or looking through different pages on the textbooks.

Fundies suck the joy out of life.

I was like you as well. I would read the dictionary or the back of the cereal box just for something to do (and because I liked to learn new words). Whenever I came across words I didn't know in books I'd immediately ask an adult or go to my dictionary. My parents would give me time outs away from my books because if they sent me to my room I'd just read and be happy there.

She has no idea how badly she is hurting those developing minds.

For me it was the part about the Calormene soldier Emeth, who worshiped the evil guy in Narnia, Tash. (This is probably more than you wanted to know) :lol:

ffc9ea1f9c54213ef4afe2213ba7f5d6.jpg

Emeth's total devotion to Tash earned him a place in Aslan's country. I just always thought that was really odd.

3cef4ec918f613a7c38c425ef981f0d6.jpg

Emeth knew about Aslan, but chose to serve Tash. He was saved just because of the purity of his devotion.

At the end of the world, everyone passes through a stable door that opens into Aslan's Country. Some can't see anything, because they think they're in a stable. The evil ones are killed by Tash, the saved ones see Aslan's country and run to Aslan.

4156a86323f66d883285af9c20bd2baa.jpg

But this bit is interesting because it sounds like fundies. They're "in" the kingdom but they can't see how free they are or how beautiful life is, because they are trapped by their own beliefs:

This part of the Narnia stories made a big impact on me as a child(and is why some Christians fundie and non-fundie don't want their kids to read the books) because after having it be pounded into my head that God was going to send to hell anyone who didn't believe this one certain way, I saw in this book a God that wouldn't do that. A God that judged people on how they lived, not if they believed in Him. And I wanted to believe in that sort of a God because it made more sense to me. It gave me a tiny bit of hope that all those people I was told were going to burn for eternity, just because they didn't believe like I did, might not.

The Magicians Nephew was always my favorite one of the series.

Fundies, their fear of reading - for its artistic expression, for its potential for giving knowledge, for its ability to Inspire - and their propensity to deny their children access to books, is one of my favorite topics to explore and discuss. I, like many of my new friends on Free Jinger, am a lifelong lover of books and reading and I have wondered how these children can thrive without being given access to any of the arts of expression. No books, no free exploration of music, movies, visual arts..?

Recently on Recovering Grace, a beautifully written piece was posted by a young woman raised in Gothardism. The story seems to show that her discovery of literature, especially fiction, was profoundly life changing. Reading her story made me feel both joy and hope. Just two of the emotions one can feel when absorbed in a good story. I hope Mrs. Shapes' children will not forever be denied.

recoveringgrace.org/2014/05/1984-and-ati/#more

Fundies, their fear of reading - for its artistic expression, for its potential for giving knowledge, for its ability to Inspire - and their propensity to deny their children access to books, is one of my favorite topics to explore and discuss. I, like many of my new friends on Free Jinger, am a lifelong lover of books and reading and I have wondered how these children can thrive without being given access to any of the arts of expression. No books, no free exploration of music, movies, visual arts..?

Recently on Recovering Grace, a beautifully written piece was posted by a young woman raised in Gothardism. The story seems to show that her discovery of literature, especially fiction, was profoundly life changing. Reading her story made me feel both joy and hope. Just two of the emotions one can feel when absorbed in a good story. I hope Mrs. Shapes' children will not forever be denied.

recoveringgrace.org/2014/05/1984-and-ati/#more

This makes me wonder if many of the first generation fundie converts are maybe the kind of personality that isn't very fond of reading for pleasure, and learning just for fun. If they are naturally not attracted to books and intellectual conversation, they might not see what their kids are missing. I was always the kid walking around with her nose in a book, and most of my kids are the same way, but a couple if them just don't find reading enjoyable. I could see how the attraction to a lifestyle that promotes and encourages more practical skills and less intellectual and creative pursuits could be seen as a plus to them.

This makes me wonder if many of the first generation fundie converts are maybe the kind of personality that isn't very fond of reading for pleasure, and learning just for fun. If they are naturally not attracted to books and intellectual conversation, they might not see what their kids are missing. I was always the kid walking around with her nose in a book, and most of my kids are the same way, but a couple if them just don't find reading enjoyable. I could see how the attraction to a lifestyle that promotes and encourages more practical skills and less intellectual and creative pursuits could be seen as a plus to them.

I see what you're saying, and I think you're right. Many of the fundie parents we talk about seem to truly lack intellectual curiosity. I would venture to say that this lifestyle could only be fulfilling to a person does not enjoy learning for learning sake.

When the Christian school hired a new superintendent, he immediately pushed for eliminating literature in the English department and only teaching grammar and writing (and no creative writing) and eliminating all fiction and poetry from the elementary reading curriculum. Fortunately, he left rather abruptly after one year and didn't have time to change the curriculum.

His rationale was that if children and even teens are exposed to fiction and know that people can "make up stories", they might come to believe that the Bible is not completely and literally true. He had enough parents in agreement that I suspect there are sects that believe that.

And some religious Victorians considered fiction to be "lies" and therefore immoral.

The bolded is true, especially for parents who don't want to admit that their own (maybe not "godly") experiences as kids influenced who they became.

These crazy-strict parents need to own the damage they cause. Denying kids variety will stunt the kids' development in all areas. Jeez, the boring conversations our youth group used to have. :lol: I remember everyone sitting around at Bible Study with nothing to say! Just staring into space. So wrong. It was like plants kept in the darkness.

When the Christian school hired a new superintendent, he immediately pushed for eliminating literature in the English department and only teaching grammar and writing (and no creative writing) and eliminating all fiction and poetry from the elementary reading curriculum. Fortunately, he left rather abruptly after one year and didn't have time to change the curriculum.

His rationale was that if children and even teens are exposed to fiction and know that people can "make up stories", they might come to believe that the Bible is not completely and literally true. He had enough parents in agreement that I suspect there are sects that believe that.

And some religious Victorians considered fiction to be "lies" and therefore immoral.

What the hell? Thank God that didn't happen, for those kids' sake. If he believed that he should have kept all the programs and used the stories in the Bible. It could have been fascinating. Makes me wonder why some people even become teachers. What was his title? Mr. Literal, Killer of Curiosity? :lol:

I see what you're saying, and I think you're right. Many of the fundie parents we talk about seem to truly lack intellectual curiosity. I would venture to say that this lifestyle could only be fulfilling to a person does not enjoy learning for learning sake.

This is exactly why I was so miserable as a homeschooled kid. My mother was and still is the least intellectually curious (I love that phrase, by the way) person I know, and she is quite happy to have information spoon-fed to her by Fox News and the like. I'm the black sheep of the family for being curious and creative and always wanting to learn everything I possibly can.

I'm still suffering the repercussions of her lack of curiosity - I'm struggling through college and social life, without the knowledge and experience base that most of my peers have. For example, my best friend was shocked that I'd never been to an aquarium, and actually brought me with her this weekend. I loved it, but I have to admit, watching the kids running around and exploring, I was a little sad for the little girl I was who would have been in awe at the sheer size and beauty of it all.

I'm reading all this blog... She's crazy. The life of this children is SO miserable. Seriously. She's trying to add some joy, but it just feels miserable. In a family picture, everyone seems happy, until you look good and see that the eyes of a little boy are full of tears. That's like this blog. If you don't really read it, you see a big family well organised. If you read it, you see crazyness and abuse.

(the picture : http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xLfm8o2PB3Y/U ... 00/025.JPG )

Wow. You can almost see the second to oldest girl warning the next girl down to smile and look happy or else. And none of the younger ones look happy, the boy on the left has the most scared eyes, the two in the middle look like they're about to apologize, and of course the one on the right was crying. Even the little twins look like they're about to start.

That is sooooo creepy. Poor kids.

Wow. You can almost see the second to oldest girl warning the next girl down to smile and look happy or else. And none of the younger ones look happy, the boy on the left has the most scared eyes, the two in the middle look like they're about to apologize, and of course the one on the right was crying. Even the little twins look like they're about to start.

That is sooooo creepy. Poor kids.

This looks like a scene from a hostage situation.

I can barely stand to look at that picture because it reminds me a little too much of the pictures from my own unhappy childhood. Pictures taken when I had just received, or was told that I was about to receive, a spanking. "Smile for the camera!"

I was a very withdrawn child because I was being raped by my babysitter (who told me he would kill my whole family if I told.) I lost myself in books. I read everything I could get my hands on, even if it was very difficult. That's why I was reading Charles Dickens and Jane Austen when I was 9. We didn't have a lot of books, but we did have the classics so I read Somerset Maugham and O. Henry and Louisa May Alcott. I can't imagine a childhood without the great works of fiction.

I lust after men as well. And women too.

Perhaps I need to go in the prayer closet.

Not only do I notice nice looking men, I notice nice looking women (even though I'm straight) and, if they have features I know my husband likes, I point them out to him-- so he can enjoy the scenery as well.

And no, I"m not going to the prayer closet, because noticing hotness in others is not the same as lusting after someone in my heart AND-- no matter what people say, lusting after another but never following through is not the same as screwing them. (Just as thinking about robbing a bank is not the same as robbing one, or thinking about murder is not the same as acutally killing someone!)

I can barely stand to look at that picture because it reminds me a little too much of the pictures from my own unhappy childhood. Pictures taken when I had just received, or was told that I was about to receive, a spanking. "Smile for the camera!"

I was a very withdrawn child because I was being raped by my babysitter (who told me he would kill my whole family if I told.) I lost myself in books. I read everything I could get my hands on, even if it was very difficult. That's why I was reading Charles Dickens and Jane Austen when I was 9. We didn't have a lot of books, but we did have the classics so I read Somerset Maugham and O. Henry and Louisa May Alcott. I can't imagine a childhood without the great works of fiction.

Wow. Bless you for surviving and being strong enough to talk about it. I can't imagine how awful that must have been. Hugs to you!

I still don't understand why the Shupe's are fundie. Neither parent grew up in the lifestyle (to my knowledge). Erika went to a secular university. She has a degree in education, that is apparently "useless". She seems independent enough that she wouldn't want to live in the lifestyle. Judging from the blog, the father seems like a doormat. Why would they choose this? :think:

I still don't understand why the Shupe's are fundie. Neither parent grew up in the lifestyle (to my knowledge). Erika went to a secular university. She has a degree in education, that is apparently "useless". She seems independent enough that she wouldn't want to live in the lifestyle. Judging from the blog, the father seems like a doormat. Why would they choose this? :think:

I suspect that Erika has a mental issue with order an control. Religion is just another convenient way to achieve "perfection" for her.

Speaking of controlling mothers with cleaning/order obsessions, whatever happened to that lady (Lina?) who was obsessed with getting rid of stuff and only allowed her kids a specific number of clothing items and toys and eventually moved her family to an RV? I always put Erika in the same category as that lady. Obsessive, controlling ladies who are religious for the sake of control, not religion itself.

I suspect that Erika has a mental issue with order an control. Religion is just another convenient way to achieve "perfection" for her.

Speaking of controlling mothers with cleaning/order obsessions, whatever happened to that lady (Lina?) who was obsessed with getting rid of stuff and only allowed her kids a specific number of clothing items and toys and eventually moved her family to an RV? I always put Erika in the same category as that lady. Obsessive, controlling ladies who are religious for the sake of control, not religion itself.

i've lived that :lol: My mom and dad actually live full-time in an RV now that they're empty nesters! I love my mom, but she has to have order to function. She believes in the 100 Things Movement. (people who have less than 100 very well-kept and useful belongings) and feels like going to parks is like owning a garden, or seeing birds is enough of a pet... Growing up we were allowed one small (under bed size) rubbermaid container for our own special things. Anything other than that was up to be tossed. Every summer we would go to Grandma's so mom could recharge in solitude and deep-clean the house for a week, and come home to less toys. It wasn't a big deal until mom threw out my favorite bear when i was 8 or 9... needless to say i let my kids keep about everything now. :D

Today Erika posted on facebook a bunch of chalk drawings her 14 year old daughter made in their cul-de-sac of scenes from Frozen, Spiderman, My Little Pony, a really amazing Pegasus (seriously looks pro), and a whole playhouse layout. So i guess the joke's on us :lol: Yep, not too proud to own it.

Still, saying things in her blog that can be interpreted as extreme isolationism is bad on her part. And knowing about pop culture does not a rounded kid make. My sibs and i knew about pop kid culture, and i still struggle because we didn't get out enough around people who weren't family. We had so many in the family that logistically it was tough to go very many places or do many activities.

Wow, those are awesome! Well done Melanie! :)

It is also awesome she knows what those things are as well. But I guess now the Shupe kids have been exposed to The Beast, they aren't going to be good enough to marry a Maxwell grandkid in about 20 years. Which is also a good thing.

So, Melanie can draw. This is the only bit of personality or hobbies we have seen Erika mention. Usually her kids are just flat characters, just used as props in her blog posts.

Today Erika posted on facebook a bunch of chalk drawings her 14 year old daughter made in their cul-de-sac of scenes from Frozen, Spiderman, My Little Pony, a really amazing Pegasus (seriously looks pro), and a whole playhouse layout. So i guess the joke's on us :lol: Yep, not too proud to own it.

Still, saying things in her blog that can be interpreted as extreme isolationism is bad on her part. And knowing about pop culture does not a rounded kid make. My sibs and i knew about pop kid culture, and i still struggle because we didn't get out enough around people who weren't family. We had so many in the family that logistically it was tough to go very many places or do many activities.

And there's Toothless ! Don't forget Toothless ! :D

But no Totoro :(

Archived