IGNORED

Persecuted -- the movie

thoughtful

I searched and didn't find a thread about this -- have we discussed it?

Nationally acclaimed evangelist John Luther is the last obstacle in the way of sweeping religious reform in the States. When a U.S. Senator and Luther's own supporters abduct and frame him in the murder of an innocent teenage girl, an unprecedented era of persecution is unleashed. Out on personal recognizance, Luther escapes police surveillance in search of the truth. And suddenly a once-normal life is targeted by a team of ex-military operatives who wage a relentless campaign to eliminate the incriminating evidence. As evangelist turned fugitive, Luther vows to expose anyone involved with, or profiting from, the girl's murder. It's a mission that brings him face-to-face with the coming storm of persecution that will threaten the entire American Christian community.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1761005/

tCfNbERRatI

:roll:

ETA - article by the filmmaker:

http://www.thewrap.com/hollywood-makes- ... persecuted

Whoa, FFS. The minute I saw Gretchen Carlson as a talking head near the beginning of the trailer, I knew what was coming.

Some could argue, "Hey--Christianity in the US isn't just one big monolith in which every church has the same beliefs." But then let's remember how deeply dominionism has its tentacles into US government (cf. Jeff Sharlet's "The Family," about the C Street House).

Whoa, FFS. The minute I saw Gretchen Carlson as a talking head near the beginning of the trailer, I knew what was coming.

Her part is listed as "TV anchor" -- she appears to be playing someone from the Evil Liberal Media who is challenging him! :lol:

Her part is listed as "TV anchor" -- she appears to be playing someone from the Evil Liberal Media who is challenging him! :lol:

The fact that she's in it at all--even playing a villain-- says something! Go Faux News!

The fact that she's in it at all--even playing a villain-- says something! Go Faux News!

Oh, yeah -- I knew that's what you meant. It just made me curious to see if she was listed as "herself" on the credits, since, in that clip, she seems to be challenging him.

I wonder if, in the working script, the part was called "Lesbian Feminist Bitch." :D

There was a screening hosted by a secretive group called the Friends of Abe:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/s ... sts-700985

“A real highlight for me,†adds Lusko, “was a delightful lady who came up to me after and said: ‘Your movie scared the life outta me.’â€

That's a lovely compliment. :roll:

More on the Friends of Abe here:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/03/30/d ... liticians/

And more on "persecuted Christians" movies here:

http://www.ibtimes.com/persecution-pays ... ze-1569746

Dianna Anderson, author of “Damaged Goods,†a forthcoming book examining evangelical Protestant "purity" culture, explains that films like “God’s Not Dead†and “Persecuted†can offer a convenient narrative for believers who want to feel vindicated in their beliefs.

“I think it's especially important that this persecution complex is mostly confined to middle-class white Christians, who are, by definition, one of the most heavily represented groups in media and culture today,†Anderson told IBT.

Anderson says that for some Christians in America, “'persecution' has come to mean ‘anything that makes me feel bad about my faith.’ … The persecution complex allows white evangelicals to cast themselves as the underdogs, the ‘real heroes’ of the story in a hostile world.â€

Oh, yeah -- I knew that's what you meant. It just made me curious to see if she was listed as "herself" on the credits, since, in that clip, she seems to be challenging him.

I wonder if, in the working script, the part was called "Lesbian Feminist Bitch." :D

or it could have been called "Former Beauty Queen Fem-Bot".

So let me try to understand this. Inn a country where 8 states still ban atheists from holding public office, parents can, and do, lose custody of kids for not being Christian and judges can do it claiming "best interest," and where the right to freedom of speech and and personal religious protection under the first amendment is only for Christians, CHRISTIANS are the persecuted ones?

It opens today - don't all run to the theaters at once! :lol:

"We have congressional interest, private sector interest, and lots of media interest in this film," said Lusko. "We as a nation are perilously close to losing freedom of speech and freedom of religion and everyone we've shown the film to has remarked on how easily the plot of PERSECUTED could actually take place or perhaps already has and was covered up.

:roll:

My eyes hurt from rolling so much.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwmovies/ ... 20vsFcz3hA

That great thespian and politician, Fred Thompson, speaks:

"Persecuted" imagines a world in which politicians essentially want to silence ministers by demanding that their messages about God be balanced by opposing points of view, and it deals with the plight of the nation’s most prominent televangelist who refuses to support the legislation, making him an enemy of the State – in this case the president of the United States and the Senate Majority Leader.

He seems to think the old Fairness Doctrine is proof that this could happen.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/04/ ... r-fetched/

I'm just disappointed that Kelly Leininger Greyson wasn't in this one.

So let me try to understand this. Inn a country where 8 states still ban atheists from holding public office, parents can, and do, lose custody of kids for not being Christian and judges can do it claiming "best interest," and where the right to freedom of speech and and personal religious protection under the first amendment is only for Christians, CHRISTIANS are the persecuted ones?

So much word to this. We have a Christian channel here in Milwaukee. And by Christian I mean, you guessed it, the fundie type. No mainstream Protestants or Roman Catholics allowed. One fine fundie has his show where often castigates gay people and women who want reproductive rights. However, a few weeks ago he spent one of his programs on how he is being persecuted and his freedom of speech is being violated. I thought, "Bitch, please. You have your own show on a channel that totally caters to your ilk. This is the antithesis of persecution and the violation of your freedom of speech."

For these assholes, any criticism or disagreement is persecution. It's completely bizarre.

So much word to this. We have a Christian channel here in Milwaukee. And by Christian I mean, you guessed it, the fundie type. No mainstream Protestants or Roman Catholics allowed. One fine fundie has his show where often castigates gay people and women who want reproductive rights. However, a few weeks ago he spent one of his programs on how he is being persecuted and his freedom of speech is being violated. I thought, "Bitch, please. You have your own show on a channel that totally caters to your ilk. This is the antithesis of persecution and the violation of your freedom of speech."

The mere accusation of Obama being a Muslim (what was that ever based on aside from race?) is enough to have fundies wanting him impeached. If he was outright atheist, I'd worry that he'd be assassinated by someone thinking it's a god-given duty to rid the country of a non-believing president, and so willing to die in the attempt.

I looked to see if there were any legit reviews of this movie, and per Rotten Tomatoes, it's not getting a wide screen release until July 18. *shakes head* I'd like to introduce these people to all the churches within a mile of my house, persecution is DEFINITELY not happening here.

"Persecuted" could be the title of any fundie-funded (heh) film. They all detail some completely contrived situation in which the main character, a devout Christian, is "persecuted" for their beliefs. It's all just another piece of the puzzle to fit into the narrative so many mainstream fundies and evangelicals prattle off- that they're a persecuted minority.

James Remar who was Samantha's boyfriend from SexAndTheCity? Say it ain't so!

Speaking of "Say it ain't so":

"...and Gray Frederickson, a co-producer of Persecuted and the Oscar-winning producer of The Godfather Part II."

dawson_crying.jpg

"Persecuted" could be the title of any fundie-funded (heh) film. They all detail some completely contrived situation in which the main character, a devout Christian, is "persecuted" for their beliefs. It's all just another piece of the puzzle to fit into the narrative so many mainstream fundies and evangelicals prattle off- that they're a persecuted minority.

These people do seem to make a hobby out of crying persecution. Their god supposedly gave us free will, and brains, and never ever said having hobbies is bad. Why do fundies think that you can't do anything without thinking god god god?

Dean Butler, the guy who played Almanzo Wilder in Little House, has spoken at some of the fundy homeschool conventions. There are some uncomfortable pictures of him and Alison Arngrim, the woman who played Nellie. Alison grew close to Steve Tracy, who played Percival (who Nellie married in the show), and when he died in real life, it crushed her, and she's still an AIDS-activist in his memory. Do you think someone who speaks at fundy homeschool conventions would accept Steve, who was gay, who was Alison's best friend?

I do have a hard time watching episodes with Almanzo in them because of this.

Speaking of "Say it ain't so":

"...and Gray Frederickson, a co-producer of Persecuted and the Oscar-winning producer of The Godfather Part II."

dawson_crying.jpg

:cry:

Dean Butler, the guy who played Almanzo Wilder in Little House, has spoken at some of the fundy homeschool conventions. There are some uncomfortable pictures of him and Alison Arngrim, the woman who played Nellie. Alison grew close to Steve Tracy, who played Percival (who Nellie married in the show), and when he died in real life, it crushed her, and she's still an AIDS-activist in his memory. Do you think someone who speaks at fundy homeschool conventions would accept Steve, who was gay, who was Alison's best friend?

I do have a hard time watching episodes with Almanzo in them because of this.

Oh, no, no, no, no, no! Not my Manly!

Archived