IGNORED

Tolerance on abortion, homosexuality, etc... in the world

Marianne

The Global Attitude project have made a research on the tolerance on abortion, homosexuality, extramarital affaire, etc... Here are the result :

here a summary :

Do you personally believe that homosexuality is morally acceptable, morally unacceptable, or is it not a moral issue?

Unacceptable : From Jordan 95% to Spain 6%. United States : 37%

Half or more in most of the 40 nations polled say that homosexuality is unacceptable. Nine-in-ten or more hold this view in seven nations. However, Europeans are much less likely to say homosexuality is unacceptable – this is especially true in Spain, Germany, the Czech Republic, France, Britain, and Italy, where about 20% or fewer express this opinion.

Do you personally believe that having an abortion is morally acceptable, morally unacceptable, or is it not a moral issue?

Unacceptable : From Philipines (93%) to France 14%. United States : 49%

Do you personally believe that married people having an affair is morally acceptable, morally unacceptable, or is it not a moral issue?

Unacceptable : From palestine, 94%, to France 47%. United States : 94% unacceptable, 4 % acceptable, 10% not a moral issue

There is a consensus across the 40 countries polled that having an extramarital affair is morally unacceptable. In fact, more than half in all but one country say this is the case. That one exception is in France, where 47% consider an affair immoral, while 40% say it is not a moral issue and 12% say affairs are morally acceptable.

Do you personally believe that gambling is morally acceptable, morally unacceptable, or is it not a moral issue?

Unacceptable : From Pakistan, 95%, to France, 13%. United States : 24%

A median of about six-in-ten people across 40 nations say that gambling is unacceptable. Fully 95% of Pakistanis hold this view and big majorities deem the practice unacceptable across much of the Middle East and Africa. However, a quarter or fewer in France, Canada, and the U.S. say gambling is a morally questionable practice. Gambling is generally less acceptable to those aged 50 or over and women across much of the globe.

Do you personally believe that sex between unmarried adults is morally acceptable, morally unacceptable, or is it not a moral issue?

Unacceptable : From Indonesia (97%), to France and Germany (6%). united States : 30% (that's frightening)

People in predominantly Muslim nations overwhelmingly agree that engaging in sex before marriage is unacceptable, with nine-in-ten or more in Indonesia, Jordan, Pakistan, the Palestinian territories, Turkey and Egypt believing this. Meanwhile, people in Western Europe are more accepting. Roughly 10% or fewer in Germany, France, and Spain say premarital sex is morally unacceptable. Generally, older people (those aged 50 or over) are more critical of premarital sex.

Do you personally believe that drinking alcohol is morally acceptable, morally unacceptable, or is it not a moral issue?

Unacceptable : From Pakistan (94%) to Japan (6%) United States : 16%

Alcohol usage is frowned upon by people in many of the predominantly Muslim countries surveyed. But two-in-ten or fewer in Japan, Britain, Canada, Australia, Germany, the United States, Poland, and France say it is morally unacceptable. In fact, in Japan, 66% say drinking is morally acceptable. Meanwhile, 44% of Russians say alcohol use is morally wrong, but this view is more prevalent among women (52%) compared to men (36%).

Do you personally believe that getting a divorce is morally acceptable, morally unacceptable, or is it not a moral issue?

Unacceptable : From Uganda (76%) to France (again in the end ?) (5%) United States : 22%

A median of just 24% across 40 countries say that divorce is a moral wrong, although opinions vary by region. Majorities in 4 of 6 African countries say divorce is morally unacceptable (80% in Ghana, 76% in Uganda, 61% in Nigeria, 59% in Kenya). In contrast, relatively few hold this view in the European Union nations surveyed, including roughly 10% or less in Spain, France, Germany and Britain. Even in several socially conservative Middle Eastern nations, relatively few consider divorce unacceptable, including around 10% or fewer in Egypt, Jordan and Lebanon.

Do you personally believe that using contraceptives is morally acceptable, morally unacceptable, or is it not a moral issue?

Unacceptable : From Pakistan (75%) To Germany (1%). United States : 7% (quverfull have a long way to do ! )

Few people in the 40 countries surveyed say the use of contraceptives is morally unacceptable. Only in Pakistan, Nigeria, and Ghana do half or more say contraceptives are immoral. In 17 nations, the percentage of people who hold this view is in the single digits.

Via : http://www.pewglobal.org/2014/04/15/glo ... l-affairs/

My summary : USA have made half of the way. Muslim country are far less tolerant. I will stay in France (or Germany/spain), having homosexual relationship, abortion, premarital sex, affaire, divorce or alcohol withou being judged btw ! (I'm quite surprised by the 47% unacceptable for the affaire ! I also thought we were less tolerant for divorce.)

Do you personally believe that drinking alcohol is morally acceptable, morally unacceptable, or is it not a moral issue?

Unacceptable : From Pakistan (94%) to Japan (6%) United States : 16%

Alcohol usage is frowned upon by people in many of the predominantly Muslim countries surveyed. But two-in-ten or fewer in Japan, Britain, Canada, Australia, Germany, the United States, Poland, and France say it is morally unacceptable. In fact, in Japan, 66% say drinking is morally acceptable. Meanwhile, 44% of Russians say alcohol use is morally wrong, but this view is more prevalent among women (52%) compared to men (36%).

Lol I have never met an Australian who thinks it is morally wrong to drink alcohol, my daughter at age 3 had her own barstool at the local pub, was best friends with the manager and called the barmaids 'Auntie' no one battered an eyelash that she was there. When visiting someone if it is past noon it is customary to offer a beer before any other beverage. It is even considered strange I prefer ' grape juice' to beer.

I was a little "WTF" when I see the France with alcohol, but then I think about the muslims. They are a lot of muslims in France, and they respect a lot some laws of the Qur'an, so it would explain the results in alcohol... Because I don't see another explanation xD We love wine in France !

Makes me so glad I live in the US, where civil rights are not based on popular vote. Oh, wait...

Yeah, downside of democracy. Idiots in great number's voting idiot laws into place.

*riffles

I think it's pretty interesting that Spain, an uber-Catholic country, is more accepting of homosexuality than the US.

The affairs one seems to have the most consensus globally -- with only France being more okay with it than not. I wonder what that says for foreigners who marry people from France. Different expectations on something like that could turn ugly.

I was a little "WTF" when I see the France with alcohol, but then I think about the muslims. They are a lot of muslims in France, and they respect a lot some laws of the Qur'an, so it would explain the results in alcohol... Because I don't see another explanation xD We love wine in France !

What does Islam say about affairs?

And what do individual Muslims think about it?

WTF, AMerica? 30% say premarital sex is unacceptable? I guarantee that 30% of adults aren't marrying as virgins.

My summary : USA have made half of the way. Muslim country are far less tolerant. I will stay in France (or Germany/spain), having homosexual relationship, abortion, premarital sex, affaire, divorce or alcohol withou being judged btw ! (I'm quite surprised by the 47% unacceptable for the affaire ! I also thought we were less tolerant for divorce.)

To be fair, as a Canadian who lived 5 months in France, people were not always very chill about homosexual relationship. And I wasn't even living there during the anti-''mariage pour tous'' protests. It was before that. I would have thought that the younger generation would be more open-minded about homosexual relationship and they were for the most part. But a lot of young people still believed to gays couldn't raise a child as well as a man and a woman could. :doh: Which really baffled me to be honest.

I still talk to some of my friends over there and they've been telling me things have kind of gone quiet and people are slowly accepting marriage equality after all.

Interesting!

Bugger my lack of time to post right now :(

On adultery: One thing that muddies the survery results is that not all countries/faiths are working from a common definition of marriage and adultery. A clear example interns of faith - Islam says a man can have many wives, 4 seems to be the most agreed upon number, so long as they are all treated equally. There is also a common Islamic practice called 'Nikāḥ al-Mutʿah', which allows for a temporary marriage for a married man, a say for an afternoon, then a divorce. A man can do this as many times as he likes. Adultery for women, however, can be defined as narrowly as speaking to an unrelated man.

As to what individuals think - I am sure there are any number of personal views on the subject.

Vivi_Music : I'm getting same-sex married, and honnestly, around me, nobody cares. That's "Oh, congratulation." I've the feelings that there is little homophobia, but a noisy homophobia. It also depends where you live. South West, (Toulouse / Bordeau) is more tolerant than Bretagne or Alsace, for example. Homophobia is also very media (médiatique ?), but I will not speak about the press in France or I will vomit... Seriously, with the unemployment rate and the austerity, there's just catholic who cares about mariage pour tous :roll:

Ave Maria : We say this, but I can assure you that when there is an affaire in a couple, it's very sad ... As everywhere. That's more a "if a friends or a politic have an affaire, I will not approve it, but I will not stop to be friend with him/vote for him."

Vivi_Music : I'm getting same-sex married, and honnestly, around me, nobody cares. That's "Oh, congratulation." I've the feelings that there is little homophobia, but a noisy homophobia. It also depends where you live. South West, (Toulouse / Bordeau) is more tolerant than Bretagne or Alsace, for example. Homophobia is also very media (médiatique ?), but I will not speak about the press in France or I will vomit... Seriously, with the unemployment rate and the austerity, there's just catholic who cares about mariage pour tous :roll:

Ave Maria : We say this, but I can assure you that when there is an affaire in a couple, it's very sad ... As everywhere. That's more a "if a friends or a politic have an affaire, I will not approve it, but I will not stop to be friend with him/vote for him."

Well I stayed in Normandie and most people didn't seem to mind at all, but I did hear some ''voix dissidentes'' here and there. Maybe it was a hype created by the media though. I was only there for 5 months so I couldn't really analyze the French media much. :P

BTW, congrats on you getting married! :)

WTF, AMerica? 30% say premarital sex is unacceptable? I guarantee that 30% of adults aren't marrying as virgins.

I did a research project on sex ed in America (it is seriously lacking) and something like 95% of people have sex before marriage. Abstinence-only "education" my *grumble*

It would be interesting to do another survey in 10 years, to gauge how much progress (or lack there of) has been made.

I see. So it isn't as if they are totally blasé about the idea of it? Do they feel that someone who does this habitually is less trustworthy? As in, how can I depend on him if he cannot even keep a promise to his wife?

Archived