IGNORED

Teri Maxwell attended Josiah's graduation...

alikat

Back just as the first of the Duggar specials was coming on, J'Shelle used to be an infrequent member of the MOMYS board. It was talked about that she was an active member of another board. It's quite possible that was Teri's Titus2 board, which was even more fundie than the Momys board. That would be consistent with J'shelle being a tester for Teri's books and would explain a lasting friendship still ongoing between them.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seem to recall that at one time Mary was attempting to graduate early--by age 17. That was a couple of years ago, I think. And there's no reason she couldn't have done it; it's not as if the Maxwells have had a busy conference schedule for the past two years.

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if Mary's impending graduation got postponed because Teri was having a hard time coping with the end of her "career" as Homeschooling Mom. Not that she's ever done a very good job at it, as her children's poor thinking and writing abilities can attest, but it's a big part of her identity. Given the Maxwells' rapidly waning "ministry" and her anxiety issues, I can see her wanting to hang onto it as long as possible.

And if, as the Moody book summarized on the other thread suggests, the kids are used to dealing with Teri's anxiety and depression by accommodating her and doing extra work, then why wouldn't Mary draw out homeschool graduation as long as possible? It's not as if she's going off to college, or applying for jobs, or has any life plans contingent upon graduation. She'll graduate, there will be a party, and the next day she'll be back to wiping down cupboards and making massive batches of bean burrito filling, and that's what she'll keep doing until she marries or there is some sort of major disruption in their lives. She need never graduate at all, given how little difference it will make in her life.

I think it's Steve who is holding up her graduation. If they are still seen as a homeschooling family, they have more relevance to other homeschoolers at their conferences. Otherwise, they are just a weird group of unmarried adults living out their boring lives together, telling everyone else what to do. There's money to be made from homeschoolers, so Mary continues to homeschool. I think they'll finally let her graduate before she turns 20 or else it will really look weird.

What is a homeschool graduation like? Did JB really have 400 people come to watch one child receive a diploma made on the home computer? Did he graduate at the top of his class?

What is a homeschool graduation like? Did JB really have 400 people come to watch one child receive a diploma made on the home computer? Did he graduate at the top of his class?

I've been to a few, since my sister homeschooled her boys. I will give her credit; she had programs and the diplomas printed professionally. She put a lot of time into the events and they were quite nice, although a little different because, yes, it was a ceremony for one student. At the first one, each speaker (my sister, her husband, and the graduate) took the opportunity to disparage public schools and the kids that attend them. At the second one, my nephew was much more eager to get it done, so it was nice and not so preachy. She did try to cater the day to what each boy wanted. There were about 50 people at each of them and they were held in their home.

We also had a niece who homeschooled one of her kids, but not the other two. This graduation was much more thrown together and disorganized. The "diploma" looked like it had been purchased at Staples and our (great)niece's name just written in with a pen. It was actually quite sad because our niece had basically sat home all day "teaching" herself on the computer.

:lol:

I admit; I made a lot of jokes about our single home school graduates. "Oh look! He's class president, valedictorian, most likely to succeed...."

I admit; I made a lot of jokes about our single home school graduates. "Oh look! He's class president, valedictorian, most likely to succeed...."

Prom king. Oh, no, wait...that's dating and dancing. My mistake.

He just didn't want to spend the money. Teri didn't want him driving back late at night though, because she was afraid of drunk drivers, so Steve got a motel room anyway to set her mind at ease. He presented it as an example of how, just because the man is head of the family, it doesn't mean he should discount his wife's input or be inconsiderate of her concerns. Too bad that wasn't his attitude pre-reversal when Teri begged him not to, or when the children were all small and she pleaded to send them to school because she felt too depressed and overwhelmed to educate them properly.

Did Steve go without Teri? If so maybe Teri wanted to have a night just for herself and do something that wasn't scheduled, so she came up with worries of drunk drivers at night.

Joseph is DEFINITELY like Steve. I attended a Maxwell presentation a couple years ago. People submitted questions for the family and at the end of the presentation the family answered them. One question was whether the kids had trouble giving up organized sports. Joseph piped up, "I was never out in the filth so I didn't miss it." I remember thinking, this guy just equated Little League with filth......does anyone else think this is crazy?

Yes it is crazy. Chris is a lot like Steve too.

Joseph is DEFINITELY like Steve. I attended a Maxwell presentation a couple years ago. People submitted questions for the family and at the end of the presentation the family answered them. One question was whether the kids had trouble giving up organized sports. Joseph piped up, "I was never out in the filth so I didn't miss it." I remember thinking, this guy just equated Little League with filth......does anyone else think this is crazy?

I wonder if Joseph sees himself as superior to his older siblings because unlike them, he has never been contaminated by sports, AWANA, television, or ebil songs like "Row, Row, Row Your Boat."

Did Steve go without Teri? If so maybe Teri wanted to have a night just for herself and do something that wasn't scheduled, so she came up with worries of drunk drivers at night.

The BOYS had to work. I guess Teri stayed home to babysit.

I wonder if Joseph sees himself as superior to his older siblings because unlike them, he has never been contaminated by sports, AWANA, television, or ebil songs like "Row, Row, Row Your Boat."

I still can't comprehend why one would need to black out the words to "Row, Row, Row Your Boat," but I do have a fundie relative who didn't allow the Dr. Seuss books for her kids so..... :roll:

I still can't comprehend why one would need to black out the words to "Row, Row, Row Your Boat," but I do have a fundie relative who didn't allow the Dr. Seuss books for her kids so..... :roll:

I think it was because Steve did not want any extraneous details in the heads of his children. It is easy to remember words when paired with a tune and Steve ONLY wants Christian hymns remembered. The silly words of other songs are not allowed. Besides, I think they were just working on the music and had no need for lyrics.

I suspect Josiah got a book on buying a home debt-free for his graduation present.

And the book about being a great conversationalist.

Re Mary holding off on graduation:

Maybe she wants to delay it so she has something to do all day, apart from cleaning, exercising and praying.

While she's studying she's allowed to read, even if it's just school materials. Once she graduates she's only allowed to read the bible.

If I was a Maxwell I'd prolong education for as long as possible, just to maintain some mental stimulation.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that Josiah has better social skills than the entire Maxwell family put together. Of course, they still might give him that book...

I think it's pretty safe to assume that Josiah has better social skills than the entire Maxwell family put together. Of course, they still might give him that book...

They're the Maxwells. Of course they gave him both books.

Besides the weather, their merchandise, and DEATH, what could a Maxwell possibly have to talk about? They don't follow politics, world events, film, literature, t.v. or popular music. They don't watch or play sports. I can just imagine saying, "what was you favorite song as a kid? Mine was Row, Row, Row Your Boat," and just having them look back at me. Blankly.

Teri seemed to have a place of honor sitting next to Grandma Duggar. Does that mean anything?

Teri seemed to have a place of honor sitting next to Grandma Duggar. Does that mean anything?

Maybe she arranged the seating chart in true Maxwell Chore-pak/Scheduling fashion? You know, to help J'Chelle.

I wonder if Teri thought at all about what a hypocrite she was being when she signed that reality show waiver. Her family makes their living berating people into throwing away their TVs. They literally call it The Beast. She could've gone to the party to celebrate her friends' kid without agreeing to be on the show. They'd have just blurred out her face.

I'm really wondering if it was a mistake that that frame was used. If Teri was there then at least the younger girls would be there, probably Steve would, and maybe all the kids. I've scanned stills of the party, and I can't spot another Maxwell, not even a blur in the background that could be a Maxwell.

I'm assuming that if people don't agree to be filmed they are asked to stay in an area that will be out of the shooting frame. I'm kind of imagining the Maxwells standing apart with a few other hardcore families who refuse to be filmed, but Grandma Mary or someone noticing how miserable and tired Teri always looks and offering her a seat on the lounge, then before anyone knew it the ceremony and filming started, so Steve just had to grin and bear it.

I just can't see it happening otherwise. Teri is a woman who won't remind her husband to pick up pizza, cause it's not her place to do anything more than pray that god will lay it on Steve's heart to remember. She wouldn't sign a release that she knew he wouldn't approve of allowing herself to appear on The Beast. And if Steve sacrificed his principals for publicity (which I can totally see him doing) we would see him or some of the reversals in the crowd shots.

When I first saw her in the episode I thought 'I know that woman from somewhere' & then a realised it was Terri.

Episode? It wasn't just a video? Teri Maxwell was on a reality tv show???

Archived