IGNORED

ENERGIZE! new conferences by the Maxhells

love2scrap

I could eat that amount my myself.

Me too! I wouldn't even need to be very hungry to clean off that table.

Reason #867 why I could never make it as a Maxwell...

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a bit confused. How come they had a late breakfast? Did they change the schedule for the whole day to fit in the family brainstorming?

Wake up

Private bible time

Exercise

Family bible time

Breakfast

Pre brainstorming bible time

Brainstorming

Post brainstorming bible time

Lunch

Post lunch bible time

Cleaning

Post cleaning bible time

Dinner

Family bible time

Showers

Private bible time

Lights out just as the sun goes down

I can make it fit. I must just be better at scheduling than they are!!!

Also how do people who all think exactly alike and who have all had exactly the same experiences brainstorm anything?

I have a great fear that someday someone will leave my house hungry or even a little peckish. So you know the sight of those wee bowls of food had me breaking out in hives. If that was all the food I had to set out - I would immediately order in.

I am usually able to feed an army.

Isn't it sad how they mention so festively the snacks they had and even show a picture of these three miserable bowls?

Unthinkable to have a (family) gathering without a single glass, cup or whatever on the table.

The wedding of Cuteneurorad and Sarah Maxwell is canceled, Steven and I disagreed about the catering.

Also how do people who all think exactly alike and who have all had exactly the same experiences brainstorm anything?

That is a very good question. And, don't forget, no outside influences are permitted.

It really does boggle the mind.

I'd say I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall, but I think even a fly would doze off and fall to the floor.

That is a very good question. And, don't forget, no outside influences are permitted.

It really does boggle the mind.

I'd say I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall, but I think even a fly would doze off and fall to the floor.

I have a hunch that "brainstorming" in Maxhell, agreeing and complementing Steve on his brilliant ideas.

I have a hunch that "brainstorming" in Maxhell, agreeing and complementing Steve on his brilliant ideas.

I think you are exactly right. A more honest blog post might have been, we spent special family time together today watching dad play with the projector.

I think Steve is desperately trying to reinvent their brand. Otherwise, his woefully not prepated for the real world adult children will be getting jobs in the real world. You are losing control Steve!

How long before the Maxwells no longer see any income from their "ministry"? They've recently published a few more books, but their conference invites are down to almost nothing.

Personally, I think the Maxwells will publish a few more items in an attempt to continue their brand. They will, however, stop touring altogether because they aren't getting enough (or any) invites to make it financially feasible. I predict in a few years, Steve and Teri will announce their retirement. The children may continue their family blog because they want to continue to sell their pre-existing stock of books. Sarah's Moody books may continue too, as it appears to have a niche audience. The ITOnRamp thing will probably die down as well. There's just not much of a market for spending hundreds of dollars on "Christian" tutoring when the same teaching can be done with a book. I think the men will continue their IT work as they appear to have legitimate skills in that area. However, I think we are seeing their ministry on it's last leg.

Genuine question: Can their ministry really be considered a ministry? They're selling products, not really ministering to people. If they were a true ministry, they would be giving their materials out for free. Seems to em that they just a business that focuses on the fundie, homeschooling Christian markert, not a ministry.

In 20 years of watching homeschooling vendors come and go, I've seen this many times. Someone builds a brand on how they run their family or educate their own children...but when the children grow up, they flounder, they have nothing left to sell and they quietly disappear.

Genuine question: Can their ministry really be considered a ministry? They're selling products, not really ministering to people. If they were a true ministry, they would be giving their materials out for free. Seems to em that they just a business that focuses on the fundie, homeschooling Christian markert, not a ministry.

Ministry is one of those words that fundies love to toss around like confetti to make themselves feel better. See also "blessing", "encouragement", and "servant's heart."

Especially since they are not set up as a not for profit, from what I remember.

Ministry is one of those words that fundies love to toss around like confetti to make themselves feel better. See also "blessing", "encouragement", and "servant's heart."

I wonder why they can't admit they are a business. They make business out to be this great thing, but then they want to call every business they have some sort of ministry. I know it makes them feel better, but why? Do they feel guilty for making money?

I wonder why they can't admit they are a business. They make business out to be this great thing, but then they want to call every business they have some sort of ministry. I know it makes them feel better, but why? Do they feel guilty for making money?

When I first found the Maxwells, it was right around the time Susannah (Melanie and Nathan's first baby) was born and passed away. What year would that have been -- 2006ish? I remember distinctly reading something on the blog that they were NOT a ministry, and I don't remember if Sarah wrote it or if Stevie did. But then slowly they started to change their tune, and then next thing I knew, they started to call themselves a ministry. I never understood that. It's possible they were referring to their work with "the elderly" since they knew no one in the family was an ordained minister so they couldn't call themselves a ministry? I don't know, but I remember it distinctly.

When I first found the Maxwells, it was right around the time Susannah (Melanie and Nathan's first baby) was born and passed away. What year would that have been -- 2006ish? I remember distinctly reading something on the blog that they were NOT a ministry, and I don't remember if Sarah wrote it or if Stevie did. But then slowly they started to change their tune, and then next thing I knew, they started to call themselves a ministry. I never understood that. It's possible they were referring to their work with "the elderly" since they knew no one in the family was an ordained minister so they couldn't call themselves a ministry? I don't know, but I remember it distinctly.

.titus2.com/donations.html

Donations

We are regularly asked about donations.

We are deeply grateful for those who do support us with their gifts, but Titus2 is not a 501-C3 entity. Therefore gifts given to us can not be deducted from your federal income tax. We have chosen not to go through the registration process to remain free of government constraints imposed on such organizations.

If you do choose to donate, checks may be mailed to: Titus2, (their address )

Thank you.

Steve Maxwell

I'm selfishly sad the Maxhell conferences seem to be winding down, but only because that means I won't be able to go see one.

The kind of "work" that they have pitched and have had their children do or go into isn't all that stable. The house refurbishing would normally be good long term if they do quality work but they aren't pushing that. All of their other ideas are things that come and go or have already gone. I hope the younger Maxwells are more adaptable than most of us think and can figure out how to get jobs.

Re: business vs ministry thing

The Maxwells used to define titus2 as a business. They sold a product and made money off of it. There was a clear delineation between their family consulting business and Titus2. The Titus2 stuff rarely mentioned their we-communicate business. The we-communicate website never mentioned the titus2 products. At that time, Steve was still mainly working in the family consulting business and the titus2 was more Teri's thing.

I think Titus2 began to take off around the mid-2000's? Anyway, at some point, they must have been lugging pretty good money into the Titus2 business that Steve started putting more effort into it. I noticed they started advertising the Titus2 stuff on their we-communicate website too. Steve eventually bought Uriah and took the family schtick on the road. He said it was a ministry because he was offering a tool to help Christians run their families. I think Steve honestly believes it's a ministry because he's providing "valuable" advice to homeschooling families and therefore "ministering" to his (paying) flocks. It does sound better. It's like those other fundie terms they love to use: "living sacrifices", "special family time" or "being joyful".

Their products are overpriced because there are larger companies offering the same items for lower prices. The Maxwells are a small family enterprise and they can't compete against those larger firms. I don't think they are raking in a lot of money per se, just that their overhead costs are higher and they charge accordingly. The Maxwells would do better to find a niche (within their niche market) which would justify their markups.

Honestly, Titus2 was initially successful because they had a hit product (MOTH) and they hit the homeschooling fundie circuit early. The problem was the family just kept at the same audience without adjusting to a changing market. They are pricing themselves out of business. Plus, they cray-cray and people are starting to realize that.

Re: business vs ministry thing

The Maxwells used to define titus2 as a business. They sold a product and made money off of it. There was a clear delineation between their family consulting business and Titus2. The Titus2 stuff rarely mentioned their we-communicate business. The we-communicate website never mentioned the titus2 products. At that time, Steve was still mainly working in the family consulting business and the titus2 was more Teri's thing.

I think Titus2 began to take off around the mid-2000's? Anyway, at some point, they must have been lugging pretty good money into the Titus2 business that Steve started putting more effort into it. I noticed they started advertising the Titus2 stuff on their we-communicate website too. Steve eventually bought Uriah and took the family schtick on the road. He said it was a ministry because he was offering a tool to help Christians run their families. I think Steve honestly believes it's a ministry because he's providing "valuable" advice to homeschooling families and therefore "ministering" to his (paying) flocks. It does sound better. It's like those other fundie terms they love to use: "living sacrifices", "special family time" or "being joyful".

Their products are overpriced because there are larger companies offering the same items for lower prices. The Maxwells are a small family enterprise and they can't compete against those larger firms. I don't think they are raking in a lot of money per se, just that their overhead costs are higher and they charge accordingly. The Maxwells would do better to find a niche (within their niche market) which would justify their markups.

Honestly, Titus2 was initially successful because they had a hit product (MOTH) and they hit the homeschooling fundie circuit early. The problem was the family just kept at the same audience without adjusting to a changing market. They are pricing themselves out of business. Plus, they cray-cray and people are starting to realize that.

Thanks for the historical recap! Yes, right around the time I found the Maxwells, I know I saw Sarah/Stevie specifically say they were NOT a ministry, then a year or two later, they started to refer to the road show as a ministry, so there was a shift there. They had done some travel hauling a cargo trailer and then finally decided to buy the broken down barnacle barge Uriah I guess probably right around the time they started calling the dog/pony show a "ministry".

Excuse me if I am asking a stupid question...I haven't been snarking on the fundies as long as all of you and I don't know as much about the Maxwells. However, why are they revamping their conferences in an effort to stave off the inevitable failure of their "ministry"? The real problems seem to have with them deal with isolation and their bundle of unmarried stay at home children, which an ENERGIZE conference won't solve. If they want to stay afloat maybe they should do something about that. Does this not occur to Steve ever, or do you think he is aware and thinks he can fix it other ways?

Nope, it doesn't occur to Steve. I think they probably have no idea what the problem is.

Ypestis, thanks for that rundown on how things have changed. It's an interesting shift. I'm genuinely curious to see what new topics they will try to focus on.

Excuse me if I am asking a stupid question...I haven't been snarking on the fundies as long as all of you and I don't know as much about the Maxwells. However, why are they revamping their conferences in an effort to stave off the inevitable failure of their "ministry"? The real problems seem to have with them deal with isolation and their bundle of unmarried stay at home children, which an ENERGIZE conference won't solve. If they want to stay afloat maybe they should do something about that. Does this not occur to Steve ever, or do you think he is aware and thinks he can fix it other ways?

Steve's just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. I think he knows he has a problem with all those unwed adults in his home, but his control issues do not allow him to be more proactive. There is no way he will relax his beliefs that his way is the only way, and he will not let his daughters especially to marry someone with less stringent beliefs. So, basically he's screwed.

No doubt they started positioning themselves as a family ministry as a way to get more invitations to perform/speak. Their flyers make them appear as entertainers rather than salesmen.

I keep thinking of the word "Jesusercize!" No doubt too profane. But still, think of the possibilities: "Deep kneel and pray." "Foot wiping sweeps." "Donkey riding jog" "Crucifixion arm stretches." "Casting out of Satan lunges."

No doubt they started positioning themselves as a family ministry as a way to get more invitations to perform/speak. Their flyers make them appear as entertainers rather than salesmen.

I keep thinking of the word "Jesusercize!" No doubt too profane. But still, think of the possibilities: "Deep kneel and pray." "Foot wiping sweeps." "Donkey riding jog" "Crucifixion arm stretches." "Casting out of Satan lunges."

"Deep kneel and pray" makes me think of something else way more fun than working out Maxwell style. I can't decide if that is a sign I need to get some rest or grab my husband for some sweet fellowship.... :)

Archived