IGNORED

Jessa Duggar's Courtship - Part 3

happy atheist

Let's not forget Josh's little anti-Catholic post on Twitter while the fam was campaigning for Frothy.

2w5nift.png

ETA: I believe he deleted it not long after.

Josh knows about frothy's PERSONAL relationship with Jesus, how?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spent 27 years in the Catholic Church and then I spent 3 years removing it (and all traces of religion) from my life. Even though I now consider myself an atheist through and through, I still find myself up in arms every time an Evangelical Christian starts spewing lies about Catholicism. I don't believe in this stuff anymore and so it has no reason to affect me in any way, but it really ticked me off to read his comments. I keep telling myself that he's just an ignorant, uninformed, 19 year old boy. But this boy will be married soon and start producing his own little army of Christian soldiers to indoctrinate with his misbeliefs.

From 0.40 onwards :lol:

I spent 27 years in the Catholic Church and then I spent 3 years removing it (and all traces of religion) from my life. Even though I now consider myself an atheist through and through, I still find myself up in arms every time an Evangelical Christian starts spewing lies about Catholicism. I don't believe in this stuff anymore and so it has no reason to affect me in any way, but it really ticked me off to read his comments. I keep telling myself that he's just an ignorant, uninformed, 19 year old boy. But this boy will be married soon and start producing his own little army of Christian soldiers to indoctrinate with his misbeliefs.

I'm in exactly the same place as you are. While I don't really identify as being Catholic anymore, it drives me completely insane to see people of faith, those who happen to be in other Christian denominations, completely distort certain aspects of Catholicism. I have found myself wondering on more than one occasion, at what point did Christians of certain denominations get together and decide that Catholicism isn't a form of Christianity anymore? Unless I missed something important, we attended church regularly, we prayed to God, Jesus and Mary, we sang hymns, we were baptized and confirmed, we attended Confession, and many of us completed at least a few of the 7 Sacraments. If that isn't practicing one's faith as a (Catholic) Christian, then I don't know what is.

Another thing that drives me crazy is fundies (and other Christians) openly praying for small, inconsequential things. Stuff like Please Lord, let us win the softball game, or Praise Jesus, I found a parking place! I learned in Catholic school that you prayed for important things like world peace and good health, not the winning lottery numbers.

Somebody needs to hack into Benny's facebook and delete his posts about abortion. The thing that offends me more than abortion is a pubescent teenage BOY (you know that gender that has a penis) telling me and every other woman what we can and cannot do with our uterus'. Where does the little twerp get off telling me what to do with my lady parts? He just needs to shut his smart ass mouth already.

snip

While I don't really identify as being Catholic anymore, it drives me completely insane to see people of faith, those who happen to be in other Christian denominations, completely distort certain aspects of Catholicism. I have found myself wondering on more than one occasion, at what point did Christians of certain denominations get together and decide that Catholicism isn't a form of Christianity anymore? Unless I missed something important, we attended church regularly, we prayed to God, Jesus and Mary, we sang hymns, we were baptized and confirmed, we attended Confession, and many of us completed at least a few of the 7 Sacraments. If that isn't practicing one's faith as a (Catholic) Christian, then I don't know what is.

So true. All those judgy fundies should read some of Mother Teresa's writings. If that doesn't convince them a Catholic can live and breathe faith in Jesus, nothing will.

Somebody needs to hack into Benny's facebook and delete his posts about abortion. The thing that offends me more than abortion is a pubescent teenage BOY (you know that gender that has a penis) telling me and every other woman what we can and cannot do with our uterus'. Where does the little twerp get off telling me what to do with my lady parts? He just needs to shut his smart ass mouth already.

I agree he is now showing his true colors as just a boy..... and has not clue about the real world - his just sanctioned little life - he has crossed over to annoyance for me...

Are there many Catholic in the U.S. (or anywhere, really) who have large families anymore or otherwise follow any of the official Vatican rules? I grew up culturally Catholic and went to catholic school pre-K through 12th grade, and people older than my grandmother who had more than 3-4 kids got a raised brow. One good thing about Catholics is they don't take their religious leaders all that seriously.

mine in religion class made us watch 21 jumpstreet the tv show and analyze johnny depp :D I am so not kidding

that and watch the Madonna video of Like a prayer and tell her what we thought it meant.....

but Ben - I feel he is feeding into the "Duggar" vibe now....

Are there many Catholic in the U.S. (or anywhere, really) who have large families anymore or otherwise follow any of the official Vatican rules?

One good thing about Catholics is they don't take their religious leaders all that seriously.

They definitely exist. And yes, they love the Duggars. They're just as bad about smack-talking Protestants as some Protestants are with the Catholic misinformation, too.

I think this group still hides most of their most offensive talk in a private folder, but there are plenty of large family, don't call NFP birth control even if you're using it to control birth, quote the pope, anti-choice people there. http://forums.delphiforums.com/nfptalk

I'm in exactly the same place as you are. While I don't really identify as being Catholic anymore, it drives me completely insane to see people of faith, those who happen to be in other Christian denominations, completely distort certain aspects of Catholicism. I have found myself wondering on more than one occasion, at what point did Christians of certain denominations get together and decide that Catholicism isn't a form of Christianity anymore? Unless I missed something important, we attended church regularly, we prayed to God, Jesus and Mary, we sang hymns, we were baptized and confirmed, we attended Confession, and many of us completed at least a few of the 7 Sacraments. If that isn't practicing one's faith as a (Catholic) Christian, then I don't know what is.

Another thing that drives me crazy is fundies (and other Christians) openly praying for small, inconsequential things. Stuff like Please Lord, let us win the softball game, or Praise Jesus, I found a parking place! I learned in Catholic school that you prayed for important things like world peace and good health, not the winning lottery numbers.

A short personal anecdote of the bolded: my mother and her siblings were cradle Catholics. Most broke away from Catholicism but stayed Christian. My older brother was in a motorcycle accident at age 18 and passed away from his injuries after about 24 hours. My parents later told me (I was only 9) that if prayers could be answered to save someone's life, then they prayed hard enough over and for my brother that it would have worked. Fast forward a few years, and one of my aunts is going on and on about her answered, yet very inconsequential, prayers. My mom gets very offended, and rightly so IMO.

You've got to have a pretty high opinion of yourself to believe that GOD himself is answering your piddly ass prayers about nothing yet ignoring those parents pleading for the life of their teenage son...

Religion just makes my blood boil.

Cassia, I am so sorry for your brother's loss. I agree with both you and your mom, there's nothing harder than the loss of a child (and sometimes the threat of losing your child, I've been down that road, myself). It enrages me to think that anyone could think God is too busy answering silly little inconsequential prayers to worry about the lives of dying children.

My son has a friend his own age (both early teens) who believes in God, but thinks that he doesn't answer prayers. She has had numerous family members die over the years, including her father and older sister, and every time she has begged for any of their lives, she's lost them anyway. :'( It absolutely broke my heart to hear her say that.

Meanwhile, as we speak, some fool is thanking the Lord for a prayer answered in regard to not burning her tunafish casserole because the heating element in her oven is on the fritz. HALLELUJAH! :roll:

Cassia, I am so sorry for your brother's loss. I agree with both you and your mom, there's nothing harder than the loss of a child (and sometimes the threat of losing your child, I've been down that road, myself). It enrages me to think that anyone could think God is too busy answering silly little inconsequential prayers to worry about the lives of dying children.

My son has a friend his own age (both early teens) who believes in God, but thinks that he doesn't answer prayers. She has had numerous family members die over the years, including her father and older sister, and every time she has begged for any of their lives, she's lost them anyway. :'( It absolutely broke my heart to hear her say that.

Meanwhile, as we speak, some fool is thanking the Lord for a prayer answered in regard to not burning her tunafish casserole because the heating element in her oven is on the fritz. HALLELUJAH! :roll:

I'm sorry to hear that as well. Rescinded and Mended, your story reminds me of what my great uncle said once. He and my grandmother were in hiding in France during the Holocaust, waiting for their parents to send for them. The plane tickets they were sent (by their father struggling to make every penny) were stolen, and my great uncle says that's the moment he stopped believing in God. And what do people who pray for a parking space and find one think, that these people praying for the life of their child or to see their parents again and be safe didn't pray hard enough? Ugh.

I sometimes wonder how the Maxwells in particular can believe in a god who specifically prompts them to check their busses water before a trip or "opens hearts" to hear their lunatic message, but answered Melanie and Nathan's fervent prayers for a baby with a child with no brain activity and, despite the prayers of many many Christians, declined to heal her and allowed her to die after less than a week. How can one believe in an interventionist god and still worship him when he intervenes in the trivial but not to save a baby?

I sometimes wonder how the Maxwells in particular can believe in a god who specifically prompts them to check their busses water before a trip or "opens hearts" to hear their lunatic message, but answered Melanie and Nathan's fervent prayers for a baby with a child with no brain activity and, despite the prayers of many many Christians, declined to heal her and allowed her to die after less than a week. How can one believe in an interventionist god and still worship him when he intervenes in the trivial but not to save a baby?

Because don't you know? God works in mysterious ways. Or, God has a plan. Or, it was God's will.

Ugh. One of my biggest religion pet peeves. Children being raped & murdered & starved. It's all part of God's "plan," But no worries, because God was with my friend the other day when she got a flat tire. I know, because she facebooked about it. Praise Lord.

Or feeling that God "speaks" to a person through things like messages on advertisements. A friend of mine believed that. Seriously it's a step into crazy town, to be always looking for the divine in every little good or bad thing. So in their opinion if a person stubs their toe is that a punishment for a rebellious thought? :angry-banghead:

all of the above...

these are the reasons it bugs me so much when people use the word "blessed"

I have too many hippy friends that use it too, not even talking about a bibilical god, but some sort of universal power that favors them and the festival tickets they just landed :angry-banghead:

The weirdest justification (not that I feel one is needed) from orthodox Jews on believing in g-d after the holocaust is this one: all of g-d's creation is like one huge, complex painting, and if you zoom in on one small square of you might think it's completely chaotic or even ugly, but once you zoom out and can see the entire painting as a whole.

I'm unsatisfied with comparing the life of a human who was murdered to an ugly pixel in a painting, but I guess that might do it for some people.

Because don't you know? God works in mysterious ways. Or, God has a plan. Or, it was God's will.

Ugh. One of my biggest religion pet peeves. Children being raped & murdered & starved. It's all part of God's "plan," But no worries, because God was with my friend the other day when she got a flat tire. I know, because she facebooked about it. Praise Lord.

I've often thought about this and it baffles me. How can G-D's "plan" include rape, torture, kidnapping, hijacking, keeping sex slaves in basements for years, etc? The cyclic argument would be that the individual who experienced the aforesaid might go into the military or police force to protect others, or even go into psychiatry- err sorry that's not a real specialty in Duggarland. To counter my next argument would be why then do 1/3 of those same abused individuals become the aggressors later in life? Is that G-D's plan too, to just keep repeating the cycle? :pull-hair:

I finally realized what Ben's problem is

:D

he needs to get some - because his frustrations are running amok on his facebook

AGREE!!!!!!! That's what bugs me the most about BennyBoy-his arrogant, ignorant, uneducated, authoritative attitude! Really, Jessa, THIS is what you choose as your headship????

I find Bin to be a poser. Like, he is all "i'm more religious than you"

I hate the rallying, the stupid abortion shirts that the duggar little kids seem to have been wearing since he came around, like even Johannah was wearing one!!

Ugh.

I hate the rallying, the stupid abortion shirts that the duggar little kids seem to have been wearing since he came around, like even Johannah was wearing one!!

Ugh.

It's sick. Little children should not run around with t-shirts that say anything about abortion. Hell little kids don't need to hear the word abortion. I didn't know what it was until my freshman year in high school.

Ugh.

i thought the same thing all of a sudden - if this is who these people are really well then that is sad - he has no joy in life besides lamenting about guns and abortion

i have decided to send him dvd's via tlc

I am thinking 21 Jumpstreet (channing tatum) edition and

The Toy with Richard Pryor

maybe then he won't act like he is proclaiming the word of god so much and just post wow Channing Tatum is so cool - ok I know that will never happen but still

I've often thought about this and it baffles me. How can G-D's "plan" include rape, torture, kidnapping, hijacking, keeping sex slaves in basements for years, etc? The cyclic argument would be that the individual who experienced the aforesaid might go into the military or police force to protect others, or even go into psychiatry- err sorry that's not a real specialty in Duggarland. To counter my next argument would be why then do 1/3 of those same abused individuals become the aggressors later in life? Is that G-D's plan too, to just keep repeating the cycle? :pull-hair:

To more liberal Christians, the argument is that God's greatest gift to humanity is free will, and because he gave us free will he can't/won't take that away, even when humans make bad, evil choices. Of course, people who believe this also don't believe that God fixed their flat tyre or marked down the hiking boots they need for their speshul snowflake trip to Peru :roll:

Archived