IGNORED

Pregnant women in Texas and 11 states lose rights to DNR

micatite

That's horrible. I think at this point, maybe it would be better if they just let them go. I don't think the chances are very good for the baby, with all these health problems it will probably die soon after birth if it even gets to that point anyway. Just let them rest in peace. The father doesn't want to see his wife's body deteriorate before his eyes, and he doesn't want to see his child suffer.

Sure, if the baby is approaching viability or is viable but would be premature and hasn't been deprived of oxygen for too long, and the father is okay with this, keep it growing for a few weeks as it has a chance...but 14 weeks? That's ridiculous, that's barely after the first trimester, and it isn't good for it to be incubated in a dead woman.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope to God they let this man bury his wife and baby in peace now. The entire story is so disturbing and so unfair to everyone involved.

I agree. I am just so horrified by the whole damn thing that I don't even know what to say

I can't even put into words how profoundly this situation saddens me. I cannot even imagine the pain her husband and family must be experiencing. And now to have confirmation that the fetus has suffered tremendously (shocking!) as well. It's just sickening. This man should have been able to bury his wife months ago and properly grieve, and instead he's trapped in legal hell, completely helpless, and has been pushed into the limelight to boot. Such a tragedy.

Anderson Cooper made a good point last night. He asked if, in Texas, every brain dead woman would have to get a pregnancy test before unhooking her?

The pro-lifers I have talked to regarding this readily admit they don't feel a twinge of obligation to this handicapped child after he/she is born. They coldly say that if the father doesn't want to raise it, he could "give it up for adoption." Because there are a crap ton of families out there waiting to adopt a severely handicapped child, and pay in full for the expenses surrounding said child's care. Right.

I'm taking this to the worst-case scenario here but what would happen if the husband disconnected her from "life" support himself? She's already legally dead so what could he be charged with? Causing the death of the fetus?

I'm willing to bet given the tenseness of the situation he's not allowed to be alone with her body.

Edited to add- and if he did disconnect her would he be charged with murder? Then his surviving child would lose both parents.

I'm taking this to the worst-case scenario here but what would happen if the husband disconnected her from "life" support himself? She's already legally dead so what could he be charged with? Causing the death of the fetus?

It would be a legal shit storm. He'd probably go to jail but I don't know on what charge.

Perhaps now would be a good time for one of those power outages that Zsu tells us happens all the time in hospitals. :evil:

the fetus, after being deprived of oxygen for an indeterminate length of time, is gestating within a dead and deteriorating body

This is horrifying and if there is a God who is in charge of life I don't think he would approve of this.

So creepy. The whole thing sounds like something out of some sci-fi novel. I understand why the fetus has the issues with possible fluid on the brain, etc.....but what would cause the deformities on the legs?

So creepy. The whole thing sounds like something out of some sci-fi novel. I understand why the fetus has the issues with possible fluid on the brain, etc.....but what would cause the deformities on the legs?

I will go out on a limb here but I would say having a corpse for a mother. the uncaring woman anyway.

I will go out on a limb here but I would say having a corpse for a mother. the uncaring woman anyway.

Pun intended?

It's not just Texas. The family's hearing is on Friday. I hope a judge can see the ridiculousness, although it might hinge upon whether he or she is an elected or appointed judge.

Imagine being that child (if they live), and finding out that you were gestated inside a corpse. That would be horrifying.

Imagine being that child (if they live), and finding out that you were gestated inside a corpse. That would be horrifying.

I can't imagine even if the baby was physically fine physiologically might very well be messed up.

It's not just Texas. The family's hearing is on Friday. I hope a judge can see the ridiculousness, although it might hinge upon whether he or she is an elected or appointed judge.

Watching the news. They reported that the judge decided the hospital has until 5pm on Monday to take her off ventilation. Judge made the timeline of Monday in case the hospital wants to appeal. Why the hospital would appeal is beyond me. Let this woman rest in peace. Let this family grieve and try to move forward. They have been through enough.

Watching the news. They reported that the judge decided the hospital has until 5pm on Monday to take her off ventilation. Judge made the timeline of Monday in case the hospital wants to appeal. Why the hospital would appeal is beyond me. Let this woman rest in peace. Let this family grieve and try to move forward. They have been through enough.

Well, he's clever giving the hospital time to appeal. That will shut up the anti-choice crowd that supports this poor woman's corpse being used as an incubator.

ETA: And I wonder how much the hospital will charge him for his keeping his wife's corpse alive? Will insurance cover it?

AFAIK, insurance companies do NOT cover anything if the person is dead. They do not even cover the medications, etc to keep a person technically alive until organ donation. (That is paid for by the insurance company of the person getting the organ) So they are probably going to burden this young father with the bill. Of course, if I were the husband, I would tell them where they can shove their bill.

I guess the question now is if the hospital is going to appeal. Maybe they just wanted to be told to do this, and they will. Here's hoping.

I'm so glad that she can finally be laid to rest. What a horrific couple months for her family. I just hope the hospital doesn't appeal.

I hope the hospital is stuck with the bill for the time they imposed upon the family of keeping her on artificial ventilation. It was the hospital staffs choice to go against the wishes of the family. They'll probably bill for it, but I'd tell them what they could do with that bill.

I hope the hospital is stuck with the bill for the time they imposed upon the family of keeping her on artificial ventilation. It was the hospital staffs choice to go against the wishes of the family. They'll probably bill for it, but I'd tell them what they could do with that bill.

Yes I bet they charge him

The news also said her fetus was non viable.

thinkprogress.org/health/2014/01/24/3205351/marlise-munoz-off-life-support/

Archived