IGNORED

Phil Robertson (Duck Dynasty) goes on crazy homophobic rant.

yoadrian

The Jim Crow laws and system of etiquette were undergirded by violence, real and threatened. Blacks who violated Jim Crow norms, for example, drinking from the white water fountain or trying to vote, risked their homes, their jobs, even their lives. Whites could physically beat blacks with impunity. Blacks had little legal recourse against these assaults because the Jim Crow criminal justice system was all-white: police, prosecutors, judges, juries, and prison officials. Violence was instrumental for Jim Crow. It was a method of social control. The most extreme forms of Jim Crow violence were lynchings.

Lynchings were public, often sadistic, murders carried out by mobs. Between 1882, when the first reliable data were collected, and 1968, when lynchings had become rare, there were 4,730 known lynchings, including 3,440 black men and women. Most of the victims of Lynch Law were hanged or shot, but some were burned at the stake, castrated, beaten with clubs, or dismembered. In the mid-1800s, whites constituted the majority of victims (and perpetrators); however, by the period of Radical Reconstruction, blacks became the most frequent lynching victims. This is an early indication that lynching was used as an intimidation tool to keep blacks, in this case the newly freed people, "in their places." The great majority of lynchings occurred in southern and border states, where the resentment against blacks ran deepest. According to the social economist Gunnar Myrdal (1994): "The southern states account for nine-tenths of the lynchings. More than two thirds of the remaining one-tenth occurred in the six states which immediately border the South" (pp. 560-561).

ferris.edu/jimcrow/what.htm

Yup, just like he says! Everyone was singing and happy! Because if they didnt... :pull-hair:

Dear Phil,

Subjugating people based upon the way god made them is not biblical, its immoral. Revising history to make it sound like, prior to recognizing human rights, everyone was living in the garden of eden is idiotic. You do not hold the moral high ground so please re read your bible or just go away.

thanks!

edited to break link (again)

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kind of OT, but are there any "progressive" shows on the air? It seems like there are a ton of redneck shows and scripted dramas with complex white male leads, but nothing truly progressive.

This will sound ridiculous, but Teen Wolf on MTV is progressive and totally addictive, even if it goes over the top a lot. The lead is Mexican, there are other POC in important roles, and homophobia is emphatically Not A Thing. In fact, the show caters primarily to the female/gay male gaze. :D

It is a very pretty show. It's fun teenage angst and supernatural adventure. Highly recommended!

I've seen a couple extremely far left people supporting him based on the idea that corporations have too much power, and your employer shouldn't be able to fire Anybody for their opinions, no matter how vile. And this is basically further proof of capitalism turning people into the Borg.

It might be one of those issues where some of the far right and some of the far left circle around and meet.

I would be more inclined to agree, except I think reality stars are a different entity than a regular employee.

I agree with you - it's sort of different circumstances, and he likely has a clause in his contract saying that he can't embarrass A&E. It's not like a shop assistant doing a vox pop for a news programme or something, or writing a letter to the paper. Most people aren't identified entirely with their job - a reality TV star *is*.

People who complain about this should also consider that the same thing applies to civil servants and to large chunks of the public sector who also have restrictions on public speech. It's not just in the private sector.

The only reality show I can stomach is Here Comes Honey Boo Boo. June has got to be the smartest reality TV mother I have seen. She is squirreling the TLC money into trust funds for her kids. According to internet rumors TLC offered to buy them a bigger house. June refused. She also isn't afraid to tell the camera crews to fuck off when her kids are upset. Last year June flipped her shit when a prank scared Alana to the point that she cried. The Boo Boo clan has got to be the most tolerant I've seen as well. Even little Alana gets the fact that there's nothing wrong with being gay, and loves her Uncle Poodle. Genuine love cannot be faked.

Oh fuck a duck. Phil isn't naive about the Jim Crow era South. He is deliberately trying to deceive people.

Mr. No and I were talking about this am. The entire family is fairly educated and they sure as hell don't live in a vacuum. They pretend very well that they are all down home redneck types, but no, they are not.

"Phil gave the Daily Mail access to the study group, and they heard an earful.  He said, "Common sense says we are not going to procreate the human race unless we have a man and a woman."

Read more: http://www.tmz.com#ixzz2oK1GRF5W

News flash there Phil: I am a married, heterosexual female without children. I cannot have them, which is fine by me. This guy just cannot shut up, can he?

The only reality show I can stomach is Here Comes Honey Boo Boo. June has got to be the smartest reality TV mother I have seen. She is squirreling the TLC money into trust funds for her kids. According to internet rumors TLC offered to buy them a bigger house. June refused. She also isn't afraid to tell the camera crews to fuck off when her kids are upset. Last year June flipped her shit when a prank scared Alana to the point that she cried. The Boo Boo clan has got to be the most tolerant I've seen as well. Even little Alana gets the fact that there's nothing wrong with being gay, and loves her Uncle Poodle. Genuine love cannot be faked.

To each his own. Just another group of exploited rednecks. Little Couple is the only one I can stomach.

I really suspect this whole thing was a publicity stunt.Done right here at Christmas to generate sales via ppl getting angry and wanting to show support,thus buying the products.It seems to have worked,so some degree.I know and have heard of a lot of ppl going out and buying the DD items to show support.

I really suspect this whole thing was a publicity stunt.Done right here at Christmas to generate sales via ppl getting angry and wanting to show support,thus buying the products.It seems to have worked,so some degree.I know and have heard of a lot of ppl going out and buying the DD items to show support.

Those are my thoughts exactly. It can't have escaped corporations' notice that conservative Christians are eager to show their support for anyone who is very vocal about their Christianity.

Those are my thoughts exactly. It can't have escaped corporations' notice that conservative Christians are eager to show their support for anyone who is very vocal about their Christianity.

Walmart sold out of DD crap, the next season is already in the can, and A&E is showing marathons. I'm leaning heavily towards publicity stunt as well. If you find something so "objectionable" that you are afraid the show is offending staffers you dont double down and show 7 hours of something in primetime.

They wont start filming for a couple of months so nothing needs to be addressed for quite a while. My guess is the christmas discussion at the TTH is entirely how the Duggars/Bateses can hop onto the homophobic gravy train.

I wonder how many of those Wal-Mart shoppers could even afford to buy extra DD crap?

Will the poor (and those living paycheck-to-paycheck) in this country never tire of "supporting" the "oppressed" rich?

Fools and their money and all that.

:?

I wonder how many of those Wal-Mart shoppers could even afford to buy extra DD crap?

Will the poor (and those living paycheck-to-paycheck) in this country never tire of "supporting" the "oppressed" rich?

Fools and their money and all that.

:?

It isn't just the poor who are buying this crap. Some of the people I saw supporting him on Facebook ( and who likely buy their merchandise ) are very comfortable financially.

This will sound ridiculous, but Teen Wolf on MTV is progressive and totally addictive, even if it goes over the top a lot. The lead is Mexican, there are other POC in important roles, and homophobia is emphatically Not A Thing. In fact, the show caters primarily to the female/gay male gaze. :D

It is a very pretty show. It's fun teenage angst and supernatural adventure. Highly recommended!

I love Teen Wolf. When I first started I thought it would be lame, but it turned out to be a good show.

There are a couple of shows on the Disney Channel that feature POC leads and POC supporting characters. But those tween type shows and my nephew watches them.

Teen Wolf is still fairly problematic. While the show does well as far as gay men are concerned, it doesn't do nearly as well for POC or women. I can dig up some sources if you want.

Kind of OT, but are there any "progressive" shows on the air? It seems like there are a ton of redneck shows and scripted dramas with complex white male leads, but nothing truly progressive.

The more progressive shows seem to be kids shows on ABC family. There are problems, for sure, on some of them, but overall they seem to try to have a variety of types of people and seem to definitely try to include same sex couples in their family types. The shows themselves vary in how entertaining they are, and it definitely is family aimed, but not just for kids.

It's been interesting to unfollow or unfriend various people I know on social media that want to bleat about how oppressed and discriminated against Phil Robertson is. Even more interesting are their justifications for doing so. After all, he's just "offering his opinion". Sure he is.

A woman from my former church went after me on FB for stating on my page that Robertson should know there are consequences when one uses "free speech" to show what a bigot he or she is. She reminded me of my "Moral Majority days". I made sure to mention that I will be atoning for those years of my life for the rest of it, and I left the church twenty-five years ago.

Thanks to Phil Robertson for the new litmus test: I'm not interested in knowing anyone who thinks his comments are in any way acceptable.

When one of my more out-there in-laws was sharing this theory with us at Christmas dinner, my mind was blown. I figured he'd be the one on the "Free Speech Forever" bandwagon. However, my suspicions weren't totally wrong - my other out-there brother-in-law was fully on the Stand with Phil train. According to him, the right to free speech means "say anything you want with no repercussions at all, from anyone, anywhere, anyhow." I didn't bother to ask how libel and slander worked into that. You can't change his mind on anything, and you waste your breath trying.

The timing of it seems a bit suspicious, along with the focus on the homophobic parts of the rant, while most articles ignore the Jim Crow parts.

Oh fuck a duck. Phil isn't naive about the Jim Crow era South. He is deliberately trying to deceive people.

Yes, Phil Robertson's comments sound very much like something my racist, homophobic father might say, and my dad falls squarely into the "willfully obtuse" category, not the naive one.

These guys are bitter that their slice of the proverbial pie, which was already too slim in their own eyes due to perceived (and not invalid on my dad's part) socioeconomic disadvantages, has gotten even thinner with all of this new-fangled equality in the last fifty years.

This just in: My very-religious-Catholic-but-also-pro-gay-rights middle sister was THRILLED with the talking DD doll someone gave her for Christmas. She was a tad relieved that it wasn't a Phil doll.

Annnnnnddddddd according to TMZ the suspension is already over.

Annnnnnddddddd according to TMZ the suspension is already over.

Well, now that "Intervention" has been canceled, it's easy enough to boycott A&E. I honestly can't think of one show I watch on that channel.

Too late to edit...I watch "Storage Wars." But only for Barry....and I can never remember when it airs. I looked at their website and I am not really interested in anything. TLC at least has crazy.

Here he says you should marry 15 and 16 year olds. By the time they get to 20 they're gold diggers you can't mold.

aattp.org/caught-on-tape-in-speech-from-2009-phil-robertson-says-men-should-marry-15-and-16-year-old-girls/

Archived