IGNORED

Phil Robertson (Duck Dynasty) goes on crazy homophobic rant.

yoadrian

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The homophobic remarks were disgusting, but to me the racism was more offensive. I wish more people were talking about that instead of letting conservatives turn this into an issue of religious persecution over opinions on homosexuality.

In addition to his comments about homosexuality, Robertson also spoke about race and growing up in Louisiana before the civil rights era.

"I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once," he told GQ. "Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I'm with the blacks, because we're white trash. We're going across the field. ... They're singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, 'I tell you what: These doggone white people' -- not a word!

"Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues," GQ quoted Robertson as saying.

From CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/19/showbiz/d ... uspension/

Whipping the popcorn out today. The butthurt is strong on Facebook this afternoon. It appears that Huckabee is rallying the troops, and they all have yet the understand the true intent and meaning of the First Amendment. It is disturbing and slightly humorous at the same time.

Not supposed to eat shellfish, either, amirite? Put down the crawfish, Philly boy....

I'd say this fits the definition of "abomination," on many levels (under a spoiler because it's animated):

F2GZYej.gif

The homophobic remarks were disgusting, but to me the racism was more offensive. I wish more people were talking about that instead of letting conservatives turn this into an issue of religious persecution over opinions on homosexuality.

I agree; the racist remarks were much worse.

These peoples' conservative Christian slant wasn't exactly a secret; what did A&E think they were getting? Is anybody really surprised about this guy's homophobic remarks? The homophobic part of that interview (not the racist remarks) was the least surprising thing I've ever read about these people.

This is, unfortunately, Eat Fried Chicken to Stand Up for Traditional Marriage all over again. All the conservatives are going to rally and buy and everything Duck Dynasty they can get their hands on just to #standwithPhilRobertson.

And just in time for Christmas, too. Huh. Bet 'ole Robertson is cryin all the way to the bank.

:think:

Of course, it doesn't occur to Phil that blacks in the pre-Civil Rights era wouldn't complain about whites to him because he was white, and because they had learned that doing what would be dangerous?

This needs to be quoted again and again, because this is HEINOUS. It's like FUCK, the Civil Rights movement never happened?!?!?

I went and looked--Phil was born in 1946. My dad was born in 1934 in racist, segregated Oklahoma. Daddy would never have put up with the kind of crap Phil was spewing and he would have canned any of his employees talking like that.

ETA: If I talked about gay people or African-Americans like Phil Robertson, and it was heard at work, I'd be in for SO MUCH HR COUNSELING it would not be funny. I do not understand why people think there are no consequences for hateful talk.

Doug Wilson: "The memorable words of T.S. Eliot in the Four Quartets come to mind — 'Humankind cannot bear very much reality.' This goes particularly for toney producers of reality shows, who are unaccustomed to having one of the swamp people emerge from the fens to inform them, denizens of a sophisticated and urbane cosmopolis as they are, that the human body was given just one sex organ and the poochute is not it."

Doug, I hate to get all picky about semantics, but I believe the correct childish name for anus is "poop chute"— two words. Plus, you're probably quoting a gay dude, JFYI.

dougwils.com/s7-engaging-the-culture/laffaire-robertson.html

So now there is a meme going around Facebook about this moron losing his job over his opinion but Oprah wants to kill all white people and won a Nobel Prize.

I must not have been paying attention when Oprah was out advocating genocide or winning Nobel Prizes. :roll:

I am more frustrated that people in the United States of America do not have a grasp of the 1st and 14th amendments. If Phil is not in jail, he has the freedom of speech.

Has anybody seen any articles or blog posts explaining why the comments were so offensive? Some people I know are a bit dense about it and I don't have the fortitude to outline it for them myself.

I don't watch this show at all, but someone posted a link on Facebook that showed the guys and their families from before the show started..... 2 of them were bleach blond surfer looking guys.

It said that they all grew the beards and stared wearing the cammo stuff only for the show.

Has anybody seen any articles or blog posts explaining why the comments were so offensive? Some people I know are a bit dense about it and I don't have the fortitude to outline it for them myself.

Nutshell: Black people were happier under Jim Crow and gay people are sinners who will go to hell.

Standard stuff, really...not unexpected from a Church of Christ preacher in Louisiana. I don't get why people are surprised? I really blame A&E. They knew what they were getting.

This came on my FB feed and this sums up a lot of Phil's supporters who already support Hobby Lobby and their stance against birth control.

30ihk4x.jpg

Nutshell: Black people were happier under Jim Crow and gay people are sinners who will go to hell.

Standard stuff, really...not unexpected from a Church of Christ preacher in Louisiana. I don't get why people are surprised? I really blame A&E. They knew what they were getting.

Oh, I read what he said and thought it was awful, but I know people who read it too and were like "meh, what's so offensive here?" at least about the homophobic stuff.

I'm honestly surprised that so many DD supporters have no problem with their "upright Christian" role models using such crude language. If a non-Christian used the same type of graphic language, One Million Moms would be organizing a boycott against them. Are they implying that Christians get a free pass to say awful, dehumanizing things about human anatomy as long as it's to bash gay people express their religious views?

I almost fell off the couch when I read this last night. He actually edited it a couple of times, but the post indicated that he'd read my addition to his prior post. I was the first to bring up the fact that Robertson's discussion of sex, gay or straight, was graphic (the first word he used, quoting me) and not actually falling under the umbrella of free speech. :dance: :dance:

The offical statement.

"We want to thank all of you for your prayers and support.  The family has spent much time in prayer since learning of A&E's decision.  We want you to know that first and foremost we are a family rooted in our faith in God and our belief that the Bible is His word.  While some of Phil’s unfiltered comments to the reporter were coarse, his beliefs are grounded in the teachings of the Bible. Phil is a Godly man who follows what the Bible says are the greatest commandments: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart†and “Love your neighbor as yourself.†Phil would never incite or encourage hate.We are disappointed that Phil has been placed on hiatus for expressing his faith, which is his constitutionally protected right.We have had a successful working relationship with A&E but, as a family, we cannot imagine the show going forward without our patriarch at the helm.  We are in discussions with A&E to see what that means for the future of Duck Dynasty.   Again, thank you for your continued support of our family."

A number of my Facebook friends have speculated that this entire thing might have been, to some degree, orchestrated as a publicity stunt. I'm inclined to agree, at least in part. The Duck Dynasty fans I know are not exactly liberal people, and I imagine they won't hesitate to rally behind the Robertsons financially.

But wait, there's more crazy!

All you have to do is look at any society where there is no Jesus. I'll give you four: Nazis, no Jesus. Look at their record. Uh, Shintos? They started this thing in Pearl Harbor. Any Jesus among them? None. Communists? None. Islamists? Zero. That’s eighty years of ideologies that have popped up where no Jesus was allowed among those four groups. Just look at the records as far as murder goes among those four groups.

http://www.religiondispatches.org/dispa ... t_so_real/

Is there any level on which this guy's NOT an asshole?

It IS his constitutionally protected right. That doesn't mean there are no consequences for speaking your mind. Here is how I put it on a facebook post: It is my constitutional right to go into my boss's office and say bad things about him or her. It is also my boss's right to fire me on the spot for doing so.

And that is, essentially, what happened.

“Let’s face it,†he says. “Three, four, five years, we’re out of here. You know what I’m saying? It’s a TV show. This thing ain’t gonna last forever. No way.â€

I hope it doesn't even take that long. I had never heard of these people until July or August of this year, and then they sprang up out of nowhere. I too have seen their crap all over Wal-Mart and can't wait til it's all on clearance and I never have to hear about them again.

Ohmahgawd, Phil needs to quit while he's way, waaaaay behind.

I hope he keeps going until he finally insults someone his fans care about, so he will lose their support.

Archived