IGNORED

Phil Robertson (Duck Dynasty) goes on crazy homophobic rant.

yoadrian

That video was disturbing. Some commenters are saying that he was joking but who in their right mind jokes like This is the man that Christian conservatives are rushing to defend.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Teen Wolf is still fairly problematic. While the show does well as far as gay men are concerned, it doesn't do nearly as well for POC or women. I can dig up some sources if you want.

Teen Wolf problematic?? Nooo! :lol: I love that show and can't wait for it to come back in January (now you mention it though, it is definitely problematic where POC are concerned).

I had no idea this Duck Dynasty crap even existed before I read an article about the homophobic comments about a week ago...

Too late to edit...I watch "Storage Wars." But only for Barry....and I can never remember when it airs. I looked at their website and I am not really interested in anything. TLC at least has crazy.

I watch Storage Wars for Barry, too. I like Darrell Sheets as well, but neither he nor Barry will return next season or so I've read. Dan and Laura won't be the auctioneers every time either. I like Jarrod and Brandi okay, but I'm not sure that they can carry the show along with Ivy, Nabila and the Harris brothers.

Silly and slightly OT question from someone who doesn't watch the show and doesn't know anything about duck hunting.

Just how big is the market for duck calls? It never would have occurred to me that these things could make you a multi-millionaire. Do they make most of their money from the show (and spin-off merchandise) or does it actually come from the main duck call business?

Silly and slightly OT question from someone who doesn't watch the show and doesn't know anything about duck hunting.

Just how big is the market for duck calls? It never would have occurred to me that these things could make you a multi-millionaire. Do they make most of their money from the show (and spin-off merchandise) or does it actually come from the main duck call business?

They were very rich before ever doing the show. Now they are very, very rich.

The hunting and fishing culture and business is huge.

• 3 weeks later...
Here he says you should marry 15 and 16 year olds. By the time they get to 20 they're gold diggers you can't mold.

aattp.org/caught-on-tape-in-speech-from-2009-phil-robertson-says-men-should-marry-15-and-16-year-old-girls/

Bet the brain trust (he has a Master's in education from some college down south) would scoff at the reports in this article:

http://news.msn.com/world/rights-group- ... ild-brides?

(unbroken because msn don't give a care)

It is definitely true that fishing and hunting culture is huge, especially in the southern state that I live in. But what I have never been able to understand is why Duck Commander (Duck Dynasty) brand duck calls sell as well as they do.

You walk into any sporting goods store here, and the Duck Commander calls cost double to triple what the second most expensive one is. There might be 10 or 12 different types on the shelf, but that one's the most expensive as well as the one that sells the fastest, from what I've seen.

The only thing I can think of is that they must work really well in calling ducks to the hunt. Otherwise, I don't see why people would shell out so much money, unless they really are that dumb and gung-ho for the Robertsons. I've also seen cheap, plastic ammo cases sell for around $6. Slap the bearded faces of Phil and family on them, and the same cheap case now sells for $20 int he same store. Insanity, I tell you.

I finally got around to reading the GQ article. Yep, Phil Robertson is a total asshole, and not just for his homophobic, racist, sexist comments. GQ's interviewer asked Phil if he ever reached out to the bar owner and the bar owner's wife who he viciously beat up to apologize. Needless to say, Phil never did. He said it's in the past and he doesn't dredge up the past. I guess he thinks because he's born again that's okay and he doesn't have to be contrite for beating up two people. As someone who was a victim of a brutal assault (I was mugged and beaten several years ago), I want to wring Phil's neck. The physical scars may heal, but being beaten to a pulp can leave emotional and mental scars that last a lifetime. I bet this assault is not completely in the past for Phil's victims. But hey, Phil is now a fundie who is spreading the gospel so why should he be contrite?

He is such a fucking prick.

Didn't this a-hole also say that African Americans were happy in this country before the Civil Rights movement? I wonder how happy Emmett Till and his family were?

Just pondering this on MLK day. :think:

Didn't this a-hole also say that African Americans were happy in this country before the Civil Rights movement? I wonder how happy Emmett Till and his family were?

And what about the families of those four little girls who died in the bombing of a church? This is a man who came of age during the Civil Rights Movement? Did he not see what went on? How could he not be affected? Oh yes, he's a racist piece of shit.

I was just thinking about Emmett Till yesterday. All he did was LOOK at a white woman wrong and he was brutally murdered. He was SO YOUNG.

If this has already been posted, my apologies -- it's the GQ article

gq.com/entertainment/television/201401/duck-dynasty-phil-Robertson

Link broken from habit.

Having actually read it, I want to write A&E and ask them to PLEASE edit out Jesus' name in Phil's ending prayers. I don't want my religion associated with him.

I know some in the media have called out Phil on the racist comments, but I wish it would have been done more. I agree with those who have mentioned Emmet Till and the Birmingham bombing victims. There was some naivete in Phil's claim that he had never seen black person mistreated. Maybe he never saw any discrimination of a black person with his own eyes. But he is still fucking stupid to say that especially since KKK and other white supremacist organizations are still around and let's not forget that David Duke ran for governor in Louisiana in the early 90s.

RuPaul's got a new ad for season 6 of RuPaul's Drag Race mocking Duck Dynasty.

thefrisky.com/2014-01-19/rupauls-drag-race-promo-poster-is-a-big-tuck-you-to-duck-dynasty/

I know some in the media have called out Phil on the racist comments, but I wish it would have been done more. I agree with those who have mentioned Emmet Till and the Birmingham bombing victims. There was some naivete in Phil's claim that he had never seen black person mistreated. Maybe he never saw any discrimination of a black person with his own eyes. But he is still fucking stupid to say that especially since KKK and other white supremacist organizations are still around and let's not forget that David Duke ran for governor in Louisiana in the early 90s.

Pardon my language, but he's full of shit. I live in good ol' liberal southern California, and am 34 years old (born a full decade after the Civil Rights Movement). And I've seen People of Color discriminated against with my own eyes (I'm White, so it wasn't directed at me personally).

If he's seriously trying to say he never saw a SINGLE INCIDENT OF DISCRIMINATION (let alone out and out racism) himself, while doing physical labor with POC in the dirty south pre- and during the Civil Rights Movement, he needs a f*cking eye exam. Never mind that the ENTIRE CONCEPT OF JIM CROW LAWS WAS RACIST AND DISCRIMINATORY. Whichever university awarded him his degree(s) needs to distance themselves from him ASAP.

How about Phil Robertson Is A Douche ?

He's of an age to have seen separate but equal. Which is discrimination. He's of an age to have see back of the bus. He saw whites only water fountains and segregated bus station waiting rooms. He saw segregated schools. He's either erased his memories, doesn't care, or lies.

My guess is: he's conveniently forgotten any discrimination he saw, just as he's forgotten how he savagely beat the bar owner and the bar owner's wife when they irritated him, back in the day. Read the article - if you can - and learn how he's never sought out the couple to apologize to them because (paraphrasing), "That's in the past, and I don't live in the past."

Apparently, offering the couple the chance to forgive him is also well "in the past" for this upstanding (not) paragon (not) of Christianity Philianity.

Not to digress this topic into personal experiences, but I'm 4 or 5 years younger than Phil and grew up in nominally Yankee territory (although in a border state) and I **well** remember discrimination. Try this one on: The one AA family in our congregation agreed to take Communion last so that no Euro-American members could protest that they didn't want to use the common cup after AA lips had touched it. I don't belong to that congregation any more, FWIW.

This asshole was probably too self-absorbed to notice any suffering on the part of others.

:roll:

Mamie Till was so courageous when her heart had to be breaking over her only child. She wanted everyone to know what those creeps did to her son. And then the men who were responsible were acquitted! After their trial they accepted an offer from Look magazine to tell the story of how they murdered 14 year old boy.

Phil the dick just provides proof that this country needs to remain vigilant. It is never okay to make a remark like he did. He needs to be challenged!

Pardon my language, but he's full of shit.?

I know this wasn't the point of your post, Cali, but I think full of shit is being polite!

Phil's not the only person who doesn't recognise racism when he sees it or who's blinded by his own white privilege. In 2010, I had some money stolen from me by someone I trusted, who happened to be black. I reported it to the police by phone at my mum's house, gave a description etc, and when I had finished, she was all, "Was he black? I knew it!" I had a real go at her for that, because the point is he was a thieving bastard, and that had nothing to do with his colour. But she was being all smug and saying how it took a brave person like her to say things like that and not worry about being politically correct. This is the woman who said I was supremacist when trying to explain the concept of white privilege. However that's a perfect example of what white privilege is. If me, Mum or any other white person did something wrong, nobody's going to say it's BECAUSE we're white or use that as an excuse to label all white people ever. I told her I couldn't stop her from being a racist, but please don't use me as an excuse. She's never said anything like that in front of me again.

For three very long months I worked with a man in his 70's who was originally from Mississippi. I was training to take over his job so he could FINALLY retire (the company had been trying to get him out without a lawsuit for years- he was lawsuit happy and totally would have filed an age discrimination suit). He'd make flat out crazy comments all the time. Like "the KKK is just a neighborhood organization, like an HOA." Phil Robertson reminds me a lot of my ex-coworker.

In 2010, I had some money stolen from me by someone I trusted, who happened to be black. I reported it to the police by phone at my mum's house, gave a description etc, and when I had finished, she was all, "Was he black? I knew it!"

I'm sorry to hear that, Moodygirl, and also your mum's reaction!

I had a relative automatically assume that someone who had committed a crime (who I knew and he didn't) was black. Nope! He's about as pasty as I am, but said relative kinda refuses to believe this. To the extent that he asked "When will whatshisname...the black boy...get out of jail?"

WHAT :angry-banghead: Because no white person commits crimes, especially not in Scotland. We, the innocent white "indigenous" people sit around being holy while a rampaging black mob commits all our crimes, from knifing folk in Glasgow to sheep-shagging outside Inverness.

I'm sorry to hear that, Moodygirl, and also your mum's reaction!

I had a relative automatically assume that someone who had committed a crime (who I knew and he didn't) was black. Nope! He's about as pasty as I am, but said relative kinda refuses to believe this. To the extent that he asked "When will whatshisname...the black boy...get out of jail?"

WHAT :angry-banghead: Because no white person commits crimes, especially not in Scotland. We, the innocent white "indigenous" people sit around being holy while a rampaging black mob commits all our crimes, from knifing folk in Glasgow to sheep-shagging outside Inverness.

God, some folks ain't got two brain cells in their ignorant skulls to rub together, have they?!

The guy who stole off me did get caught and is currently still paying me off (yes, four years later). He stole £900 but the court ordered him to pay me £1200 in compensation, so I'm keeping tabs!

Archived