IGNORED

Dobson says he will close rather than comply with new laws

formergothardite

Unfortunately he is no longer at FotF. He was forced out a few years ago so he and his son started their own competing radio ministry. If that ministry closed up shop FotF would still live on.

What formergothardite posted above made me physically ill. I have a little 12-pound Peke who sometimes is a bit resistant to running into her "house" (crate) at bedtime, so I deal with it by saying "Treat! Night-night!"* and tossing a baby carrot in the direction of her crate. Works like a charm.

* DO NOT JUDGE ME. I know how ridiculous I must sound.

I do the same thing with my dog.

For your reading displeasure :( I believe Siggie was a 12 pound dachshund.

"Please don't misunderstand me. Siggie is a member of our family and we love him dearly. And despite his anarchistic nature, I have finally taught him to obey a few simple commands. However, we had some classic battles before he reluctantly yielded to my authority.

"The greatest confrontation occurred a few years ago when I had been in Miami for a three-day conference. I returned to observe that Siggie had become boss of the house while I was gone. But I didn't realize until later that evening just how strongly he felt about his new position as Captain.

"At eleven o'clock that night, I told Siggie to go get into his bed, which is a permanent enclosure in the family room. For six years I had given him that order at the end of each day, and for six years Siggie had obeyed.

"On this occasion, however, he refused to budge. You see, he was in the bathroom, seated comfortably on the furry lid of the toilet seat. That is his favorite spot in the house, because it allows him to bask in the warmth of a nearby electric heater..."

"When I told Sigmund to leave his warm seat and go to bed, he flattened his ears and slowly turned his head toward me. He deliberately braced himself by placing one paw on the edge of the furry lid, then hunched his shoulders, raised his lips to reveal the molars on both sides, and uttered his most threatening growl. That was Siggie's way of saying. "Get lost!"

"I had seen this defiant mood before, and knew there was only one way to deal with it. The ONLY way to make Siggie obey is to threaten him with destruction. Nothing else works. I turned and went to my closet and got a small belt to help me "reason" with Mr. Freud."

What developed next is impossible to describe. That tiny dog and I had the most vicious fight ever staged between man and beast. I fought him up one wall and down the other, with both of us scratching and clawing and growling and swinging the belt. I am embarrassed by the memory of the entire scene. Inch by inch I moved him toward the family room and his bed. As a final desperate maneuver, Siggie backed into the corner for one last snarling stand. I eventually got him to bed, only because I outweighed him 200 to 12!" -- The Strong Willed Child

Edit to add: Or he could have, picked up the 12 pound dog and deposited him in his crate like a normal person would do. I have small dogs. I do not let them get "snarky" with me when they are young, so they know that guarding a "resource" (whether that is food, a toy, or a fuzzy toilet set) is not going to fly and they don't growl at me just for entering their space (because it's really MY space that I am allowing them to use, as the keeper of All Good Things[tm][/tm]).

Once in a while my husband has a battle (sans belt) with one of our dogs about something like moving out of a chair he wants to sit in (they don't growl at him, they just don't want to move) and I just roll my eyes at him. My heaviest dog weighs around 15 pounds. He weighs around 180 and has aposeable thumbs. Don't plead with the dog for 5 minutes to move from the chair. Pick the dog up, place it on the floor and and sit down. When I say "excuse me" the dogs move because they know I'm not going to spend 5 minutes dicking around with them. I'm just going to move them myself if they don't do what I ask and they learned that without the use of a belt or any other kind of punishment.

I wasn't gonna come on this thread until my sister came home and turned on the radio. And guess what I am listening to?

You got it...Dobson and his son and a guest talking on Family Talk about this very thing! You can laugh at me now.

"the gov favors some religious groups but not other religious groups

WHAT KIND OF GOV IS THIS!?!?!

Our case is one of the most important religious liberty cases in history!

Why?

cause Family Talk would be required to kill to babies

but

native americans are not burdened for religious smoking

while we are burdened and killed by fines "

I think that Dobson has gone off the deep end (in a manner similar to Pat Robertson).

Not saying that there haven't always been reasons to disagree with him.

But this really seems nutty. I mean, he is a PhD, licensed clinical psychologist - so he is a man with extensive formal education. This implies that he should have the mental and educational abilities to understand what the morning after pill is and how it works.

To add to my argument, he is the founder of FotF, but was kicked out. Why? Too nutty, even for FotF? Too "conservative"? Too "liberal" (TIC)? I really don't know.

But I do think he has some kind of mental deficit going on.

For your reading displeasure :( I believe Siggie was a 12 pound dachshund.

Edit to add: Or he could have, picked up the 12 pound dog and deposited him in his crate like a normal person would do. I have small dogs. I do not let them get "snarky" with me when they are young, so they know that guarding a "resource" (whether that is food, a toy, or a fuzzy toilet set) is not going to fly and they don't growl at me just for entering their space (because it's really MY space that I am allowing them to use, as the keeper of All Good Things[tm][/tm]).

Once in a while my husband has a battle (sans belt) with one of our dogs about something like moving out of a chair he wants to sit in (they don't growl at him, they just don't want to move) and I just roll my eyes at him. My heaviest dog weighs around 15 pounds. He weighs around 180 and has aposeable thumbs. Don't plead with the dog for 5 minutes to move from the chair. Pick the dog up, place it on the floor and and sit down. When I say "excuse me" the dogs move because they know I'm not going to spend 5 minutes dicking around with them. I'm just going to move them myself if they don't do what I ask and they learned that without the use of a belt or any other kind of punishment.

Yup. Coincidentally, the picking up and moving technique also works for a small child in danger of getting in harm's way. I have done it while babysitting. Why get into a power struggle over an issue that is easier to fix without one? Dobson's desire to express dominance is at odds with his expressed desire to do things efficiently.

Also, puppies and children who are "taught" in that way just learn that the people who give them food are also sometimes hostile, hurtful, and not entirely trustworthy. What kind of lesson is that to be teaching a child?

What formergothardite posted above made me physically ill. I have a little 12-pound Peke who sometimes is a bit resistant to running into her "house" (crate) at bedtime, so I deal with it by saying "Treat! Night-night!"* and tossing a baby carrot in the direction of her crate. Works like a charm.

* DO NOT JUDGE ME. I know how ridiculous I must sound.

No judgement. I taught my Danes the green cross code and without beating them once. When babies they had nap time in their crates too.

Nasty vile man karma will bite him one day.

My family has a 45 lb Golden Retriever (really small for the breed), but I had a lot of responsibility for her as a kid, when I was too little to pick her up or told not to because I might drop and hurt her. I've never picked her up even now, and certainly never hit her. If she didn't want to go in her crate, I'd take whatever toy she was playing with (she enjoyed chewing the same bone before bed each night) and put it in the crate, or gently take her by the collar and hold a treat in front of her while I led her to the crate. I was careful never to punish with the crate or make it seem like a bad place (I called it her "house" and would say in a kind tone, "Time to go to your house!")

She never pulled while walking because we got a Gentle Leader, which turns their head if they pull (it fits like a bridle, basically), so they don't pull, because they need to see where they're walking. Even my 5 year old neighbor could walk her, no pulling and no beating.

Aside from maybe barking a little more than we'd like, she's really well-behaved and understands maybe 50 words. "Breaking" a dog makes me sick when I think of how great ours turned out with gentle methods.

No judgement. I taught my Danes the green cross code and without beating them once. When babies they had nap time in their crates too.

Nasty vile man karma will bite him one day.

I am going to soothe myself to sleep tonight by imagining twin Lhasa Apsos named Karma and Dogma, biting Dobson's ankles in merry perpetuity, while his hands are somehow unable to swat at them. Bonus if I can bring the Ghosts of Christmases Past, Present, and Future into the scene to spook him until he makes Dickensian amends to all the people whose lives he's damaged.

This story is so strange. Dobson's radio program was on all the time in my household when I was a kid. Back then, he'd host programs with MDs in which choice of "the pill" (hormonal contraception) was treated as a tricky, open question concerning which there was "Christian freedom," in the evangelical lingo of the day. I'm surprised to see he's made it a hill to die on. I suppose he's gone even farther to the right since I stopped paying attention to him.

Ok, so I know that contraception is provided under the new health care laws. But, dose it actually require health insurance companies to provide abortions?

I think that Dobson has gone off the deep end (in a manner similar to Pat Robertson).

Not saying that there haven't always been reasons to disagree with him.

But this really seems nutty. I mean, he is a PhD, licensed clinical psychologist - so he is a man with extensive formal education. This implies that he should have the mental and educational abilities to understand what the morning after pill is and how it works.

To add to my argument, he is the founder of FotF, but was kicked out. Why? Too nutty, even for FotF? Too "conservative"? Too "liberal" (TIC)? I really don't know.

But I do think he has some kind of mental deficit going on.

All his education didn't stop him from peddling the idea that breastfeeding boys past the age of six months or otherwise allowing them to behave like normal healthily attached babies/toddlers/preschoolers would cause a bad case of try gheyz. Attachment theory has been part of normal, mainstream psych for years but apparently i only relevant for girls.

It is in his book about strong willed children. My parents had it. If my memory serves me correctly his dog was named Sissie and one night she didn't jump up and run to get into her crate like he told her to because she was curled up asleep on something soft. So he whipped off his belt and beat the dog with it through several rooms till they got to the crate to "train" her to never disobey him again. Parents are to do the same with their small children. He is evil and the world will be a better place if he goes away, but I doubt he actually will do us all a favor and do so.

I'd like to beat him with a belt and lock him in a cage.

(P.S. My dogs are crate-trained and sleep in their beds at night, otherwise one would be playing all night. But I would like to put James Dobson in a cage and leave him there for awhile.)

What a piece of shit. How can you take a belt and beat a small, defenseless creature such as an animal or a human child? I could never do that.

Ok, so I know that contraception is provided under the new health care laws. But, dose it actually require health insurance companies to provide abortions?

Not on the awful state of Michigan, apparently

Dobson was a little too liberal for my parents when I was growing up, but they followed his "discipline" advice with a little extra sadism on top, for good measure. The sound of his voice on the radio will haunt me until I die. He is a disgrace to licensed psychologists and could benefit from some intensive therapy himself. Good riddance.

He named his tiny little dog Sigmund? Sigmund Freud? And then he beat him in order to dominate him...I feel like there's some sort of pathology in there somewhere.

This seems like a stunt to me.

Considering his decline in the last years, I can't imagine that the radio program is doing too well. FotF (without him) is still going okay. I think perhaps he might have expected more of his loyal listeners to "walk" with him to his new "ministry", but he might have overestimated himself after the Harriet Meyers debaucle and onward.

But this would allow him to go out claiming martyrdom, and when he was still at FotF this kind of shit was a standard operating procedure for "give us more money to fight in the name of the Lord!". I'm interested to see if his bluff will be called. I'm not sure he's capable of giving up his (shadow of its former self) podium.

It does, however, provide him with an excuse other than "My new ministry failed because I overestimated my personal appeal and wrote checks with my hugeass ego that my actual value couldn't pay."

All his education didn't stop him from peddling the idea that breastfeeding boys past the age of six months or otherwise allowing them to behave like normal healthily attached babies/toddlers/preschoolers would cause a bad case of try gheyz. Attachment theory has been part of normal, mainstream psych for years but apparently i only relevant for girls.

Please note my original statement; i.e., yes, there were (MANY) things to disagree with from the start.

But I still contend that somehow he has jumped off the deep end, even for him. Not sure what is going on; it could be as simple as narcissism along with an overestimation of his own power and influence.

Personal anecdote here: Many years ago, somehow my name and address got on his mailing list. Talk about crazy. After the letter he sent out (he was still FotF) upon the election of Bill Clinton - OMG, the WORLD was coming to and end... (the crazy was definitely there at that time, now that I think about it).

I forget what I did to get my name removed from that mailing list, but it was after that letter.

So why did he get kicked out of FotF anyway?

Let's hope he actually does. James Dobson(the guy who beat his small dog with a belt to break her will and uses this as child training advice) has said that he will close before he will comply with the new health contraception mandates. He says his case is the most important religious liberty cases ever. :roll: He has to do this to save the babies.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/d ... on-mandate

Pinky-swear. Because James Dobson is just so trust-worthy...

Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey-ey, goodbye. Don't let the door hit ya where the good lawd split ya...asshole!

Archived