IGNORED

Williams Abuse Trial - Hana Alemu/Hannah Williams - Merge

wild little fox

I LOVE how that video called Carrie 'the most hated women in Skagit County.' It's certainly true, but she's also one of the most hated women in the country right now. She deserves every possible year in prison and I hope they are hell on earth for her.

I wonder if the Pearls are taking phone calls? Oh, wait, that's right -- they never take any responsibility for people taking their advice.

I am so happy that those so called parents were found guilty.

I do wish that the Schatzs did not cop to a plea bargain because I am convinced that the DA in their case would have brought up the Pearls. Mr. and Mrs Pearl will have a lot to answer for when they show up before the pearly gates. I don't care how much they deny it, but they bear some responsibility for the deaths of both Hana and Lydia.

And Sean Paddock, and a host of other children (and I'm sure that includes a good number of adopted children who have just fallen off the map).

The universe sucks sometimes.

The guilty verdict has put this beyond the local news (FINALLY!). I found an article in the Guardian today, which mentioned TTUAC.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/10/mother-murder-adopted-daughter-freeze

I've also seen it in my local newspapers.

I'm glad that more light is being shined into this dark hole. I don't know why this particular case gripped me more than others. I'm an adoptee lite but I never went through an iota of the abuse.

Btw...Larry and Carri never quite got around to getting a headstone for Hana. She currently rests in an unmarked grave (well, there is the tiny marker provided by the cemetery). I believe the Ethiopian community of Seattle is doing some fundraising, but there is a lot of legal issues involved.

I didn't dare get my hopes up. I prepared for the worst so this is like an early

super wonderful Christmas present!!!! Justice for Hana! My faith in humanity

has been restored a bit! I am amazed, relieved, and thankful for jurors who

weren't blinded by bullshit.

Everything you said! I'm surprised that they found Carri guilty of Homicide by Abuse, but I'm SO GLAD they did!

I am so grateful to the prosecutors, to the jury, to the investigators, and everyone else who helped prosecute these two inhumane creatures. May they both spend the rest of their lives in jail. (I know that they won't get life in jail, but I hope they both get the maximum.) It won't bring back Hana, but it is justice. Sometimes the court system fails, but sometimes it gets it just right.

One of the local TV stations here reported that Carri will spend "up to 37 years in prison". I don't know where they get that number. The sentencing phase ought to be interesting -- I have heard it will be mid-October.

Here is a link to the KING5 broadcast, which includes video of Carri hearing the verdict. There is an obnoxious video ad that plays before it, so beware.

http://www.king5.com/video?id=222991771&sec=548932

According to the Seattle Times:

Each charge is a Class A felony, carrying a maximum sentence of life in prison and/or a $50,000 fine. Skagit County Prosecutor Rich Weyrich is recommending 14 to 18 years for Larry Williams and 27 to 37 years for Carri Williams. Larry Williams spent almost two years in jail while the case was pending and could get credit for serving that time.

Judge Susan Cook has final say on sentencing, which could be several weeks away.

I hope they receive the maximum that the prosecution recommends. It just might be enough time for their children to acquire some understanding of how very wrong their upbringing was.

What are the rules concerning prison sentences in Washington? I've heard of prisoners in other states getting one day off their sentences for every day of good behavior, essentially cutting their sentences in half. Larry has already been in jail for about two years, so I imagine that will be counted as time served. So is it possible that he could spend as little as 6 years in prison for killing a child?

What are the rules concerning prison sentences in Washington? I've heard of prisoners in other states getting one day off their sentences for every day of good behavior, essentially cutting their sentences in half. Larry has already been in jail for about two years, so I imagine that will be counted as time served. So is it possible that he could spend as little as 6 years in prison for killing a child?

Well, he's been sitting in jail for the last two years because he wouldn't follow the terms of his bail. I think Carri also violated those terms but for some reason wasn't locked up for it. Anyway, "time off for good behavior" doesn't seem too likely, given the difficulty they seem to have in following rules set by someone in authority. I'm sure the only authority they acknowledge is their sick and twisted god. Oh, and his faithful servant Michael Pearl.

Well, he's been sitting in jail for the last two years because he wouldn't follow the terms of his bail. I think Carri also violated those terms but for some reason wasn't locked up for it. Anyway, "time off for good behavior" doesn't seem too likely, given the difficulty they seem to have in following rules set by someone in authority. I'm sure the only authority they acknowledge is their sick and twisted god. Oh, and his faithful servant Michael Pearl.

Both Larry and Carri were re-arrested for violating the terms of bail and trying to contact their bio children in direct violation of a no-contact order. He was re-arrested in Jan 2012 and she was re-arrested in April 2012. Someone or someones must have ponied up Carri's increased bail because she hasn't been in jail -- until now. Not so with Larry.

Carri's bail is now set as 1.5 million until she is sentenced. I don't know about Larry. I'm sure that they could shorten their sentences by good behavior in prison.

I'm guessing that Carri won't find that easy. She is so contemptuous of authority that she would not even stand to hear the verdict (Larry stood for his verdict). Then Carri resisted standing up and allowing herself to be handcuffed after the verdict!

She is going to have a very hard time in prison with that attitude.

Both Larry and Carri were re-arrested for violating the terms of bail and trying to contact their bio children in direct violation of a no-contact order. He was re-arrested in Jan 2012 and she was re-arrested in April 2012. Someone or someones must have ponied up Carri's increased bail because she hasn't been in jail -- until now. Not so with Larry.

Carri's bail is now set as 1.5 million until she is sentenced. I don't know about Larry. I'm sure that they could shorten their sentences by good behavior in prison.

I'm guessing that Carri won't find that easy. She is so contemptuous of authority that she would not even stand to hear the verdict (Larry stood for his verdict). Then Carri resisted standing up and allowing herself to be handcuffed after the verdict!

She is going to have a very hard time in prison with that attitude.

My assumption was that she would make a model prisoner since she knows so much about obeying the rules, but the fact that she resisted standing for her sentence and standing for handcuffs makes me giddy with excitement. She is going to hate prison. Bwah ha ha.

And, I suggested earlier that she be put on suicide watch and someone upthread said Christians don't commit suicide. I think, however, she might surprise everyone. She's so angry she got caught at what she was doing, I doubt she's going to let someone else get the last word on this.

Saw the verdict when it was posted - like others, I am pleasantly surprised (although "pleasantly" doesn't seem to fit...). I didn't think Carri would get convicted on Homocide by Abuse. But I'm glad that justice was served here.

And, I suggested earlier that she be put on suicide watch and someone upthread said Christians don't commit suicide. I think, however, she might surprise everyone. She's so angry she got caught at what she was doing, I doubt she's going to let someone else get the last word on this.

I wouldn't put it past her. After all, she probably thinks the rules don't apply to her, only the unfaithful/disobedient :roll:

I had not heard this bit! So he strayed from their marriage?

I missed this one too, and I've been following the Hana case closely.

doggie, with respect, are you sure? There is a Larry Williams in Nebraska who raped an underaged girl. It is not the same Larry Williams.

I think the prosecution in Hana's case did a really good job. If Larry Williams (adoptive "parent" of Hana) had sexually abused anyone I'm convinced that they would have thrown it into the charges along with killing Hana.

But, shit, I think this is another Larry Williams. There are so many sick people out there.

Finally! JUSTICE FOR HANA AND EMANUEL! dance:

I just want to say that I am dancing for the guilty verdicts and that a jury saw through the Williams' bullshit. I was so worried that the jury would actually fall for the justifications and maybe harbor some unconscious prejudice against Black children as being obstinate and in need of "discipline." This story was actually on the website of my NY newspaper, which surprised me given the almost total lack of coverage nationwide on this story. I still wish that Hana was still alive and had been able to be found by the authorities. Let us hope that this story goes national and really exposes these nuts.

I got a sick feeling in my stomach when I saw the title change. I am relieved that the Williams will pay (somewhat) for their horrific crimes against Hana, but my heart breaks for the things that they will not pay for - the torture of their other children, their depraved indifference to the value of human life.

Blessings on your spirit, Hana.

I got a sick feeling in my stomach when I saw the title change. I am relieved that the Williams will pay (somewhat) for their horrific crimes against Hana, but my heart breaks for the things that they will not pay for - the torture of their other children, their depraved indifference to the value of human life.

Blessings on your spirit, Hana.

The original intent of my verdict post was to allow people to read the verdict without having to wade through all the disturbing details of the daily court proceedings (some users here had requested that someone post just a verdict post). I didn't title my verdict post very well, so one of the mods went in and changed it to indicate "Guilty" in the title. Which gave people who didn't want to read the case details and courtroom details (because they were so disturbing) a chance to just jump right to the verdict.

And now it seems that the two topics have been merged, and I don't know why. I'm sure there are still FJers out there that would rather not weed through the court proceedings and commentary to learn about or discuss the verdict. But alas, I tried to keep it separate and I have been overruled by a mod who decided to merge the two threads.

She refused to stand for the verdict? Wow. Is this the same judge who will decide her sentence that she refused to stand for? That can't be good! Hats off the the jury. What a horrible job they had, to have to hear all of this. Good on them for holding these murderers accountable.

She refused to stand for the verdict? Wow. Is this the same judge who will decide her sentence that she refused to stand for? That can't be good! Hats off the the jury. What a horrible job they had, to have to hear all of this. Good on them for holding these murderers accountable.

Yes, and yes. Disclosure, I'm getting all of this info from the Facebook page, but you can also see it in the KIRO videos.

Carri's arrogance is not going to play well with the judge in the sentencing phase. There is also (per Facebook) a certain irony in that the handcuffs were clamped on by the investigating detective.

There is now a big push by Hana's supporters to put a decent headstone on her grave. I think that is nice, although there are legalities to get through before that happens. Guess what? The abusers and murderers have to give permission for the headstone. It is hard to terminate parental rights, even if the "parents" killed you.

I really do think that a headstone is nice but, to be honest, I'd rather contribute to a scholarship fund in her name. To me that is more meaningful and long lasting than a pretty headstone. Needed though it is.

I also want to contribute to a fund for Immanuel. He did so much in this case. I hope Immanuel is not forgotten. He did so much to vindicate Hana's experiences and death.

I'm crossing fingers here that Carri and Larry's parental rights over Immanuel are completely revoked ASAP. And that he is adopted by decent parents.

He has a lot of recovery in his future. I want to support him in that. This is a brave and very bright young boy.

Yes, and yes. Disclosure, I'm getting all of this info from the Facebook page, but you can also see it in the KIRO videos.

Carri's arrogance is not going to play well with the judge in the sentencing phase. There is also (per Facebook) a certain irony in that the handcuffs were clamped on by the investigating detective.

There is now a big push by Hana's supporters to put a decent headstone on her grave. I think that is nice, although there are legalities to get through before that happens. Guess what? The abusers and murderers have to give permission for the headstone. It is hard to terminate parental rights, even if the "parents" killed you.

I really do think that a headstone is nice but, to be honest, I'd rather contribute to a scholarship fund in her name. To me that is more meaningful and long lasting than a pretty headstone. Needed though it is.

I also want to contribute to a fund for Immanuel. He did so much in this case. I hope Immanuel is not forgotten. He did so much to vindicate Hana's experiences and death.

I'm crossing fingers here that Carri and Larry's parental rights over Immanuel are completely revoked ASAP. And that he is adopted by decent parents.

He has a lot of recovery in his future. I want to support him in that. This is a brave and very bright young boy.

I, too, was hoping to contribute to a scholarship or trust fund for Immanuel but since the FB page has apparently de-evolved into a clusterfuck, I have little hope a fund of any sort will be set up (using that page, at least).

And don't get me started on the headstone. I thought their convictions of her murder terminated them. Grrr.

• 1 month later...

Of note, from the link above:.

"Carri Williams was sentenced to the maximum of 443 months (36 years, 11 months). She had also been convicted of homicide by abuse.

Larry Williams was sentenced Tuesday to 333 months (27 years, 9 months), far more than the 14-to-18 months prosecutors were seeking. He was not home when Hana died."