IGNORED

Williams Abuse Trial - Hana Alemu/Hannah Williams - Merge

wild little fox

May it also be a racially diverse prison population that won't take kindly to the idea that these folks made the adopted African child use the port-a-potty outside instead of the regular toilet.

Of note, from the link above:.

"Carri Williams was sentenced to the maximum of 443 months (36 years, 11 months). She had also been convicted of homicide by abuse.

Larry Williams was sentenced Tuesday to 333 months (27 years, 9 months), far more than the 14-to-18 months prosecutors were seeking. He was not home when Hana died."

There are some words missing in that article that I'd like to see - particularly "to serve" or "in custody." Its very common for papers to say that someone received a maximum sentence when they actually received a "split" sentence. A split sentence means that you serve some time in custody and some on probation or supervised release. For example, 443 months to serve 14 months in custody and the balance on probation. I really want to know the structure of the sentence.

Wow. I like that judge a lot. The maximum for Carrie and 333 months for Larry. Yes!!!

May they take that time to consider how they tortured Hana and Immanuel and finally managed to kill Hana.

It will not bring Hana back, but it is validation for Immanuel and sends a message that will, I hope, help with his healing.

It also sends a very strong message to those people who abuse children using Pearl methods of "discipline." TTUAC users and Michael and Debi Pearl should take note.

ETA: Maureen's report is up and well worth reading. It seems the Judge was disgusted with the Williamses. Maureen was in the courthouse for the sentencing. Link not broken, because it is Maureen. :) http://lightofdaystories.com/category/hana-alemu/

Rest in peace, Hana. May your spirit soar. You were truly loved by so many people who sadly only came to know you as a result of your tragic, untimely and avoidable death.

We may be able to find out the structuring of the sentences soon. It is public record and should be available in a few days (or weeks in WA, I'm not sure). Another thought, I don't have twitter but someone who does could tweet Gina Cole and ask.

Justice served! (ETA: fixed misspelling of Carri's name)

MOUNT VERNON — A Skagit County couple accused of starving, beating and forcing their adopted daughter outside as punishment were sentenced to prison for decades Tuesday for her death.

Carri Williams was sentenced to just under 37 years, the top of the standard sentencing range, by a judge who said she probably deserved more time in prison. Her husband, Larry Williams, received a sentence of nearly 28 years.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/201 ... ers-death/

We may be able to find out the structuring of the sentences soon.

Hope so. The judge said she felt they deserved a longer time in prison, so it sounds like, if she was able to do so, she meant it to be served behind bars in toto.

Love this quote from the judge:

“I feel the punishment should match the outrage felt by this community,†said Skagit County Superior Court Judge Susan Cook. “I am at a complete loss. I think at some point in this trial each and every one of us sat stunned and speechless without the slightest hope of making any sense of this whatsoever.â€

http://www.nwcn.com/news/washington/Han ... 91241.html

How much of that time do they have to do before they're eligible for parole? I hope they have to do every day of their sentences, but if not, I hope they at least stay locked up long enough for their kids to reach adulthood. Is it possible to have their parental rights taken away? These two shouldn't be allowed near children ever again.

Washington State doesn't have parole. I don't know if they can get time off for good behavior, but in Carri's case that's probably a moot point. I don't see her behaving herself. She certainly considered herself to be above the law before the trial. I think their children will all be adults by the time Larry is released.

According to a news item last week the Skagit County jailers had to go to some lengths to protect Carri from the other prisoners. She may not get quite as much consideration once she's in an actual prison. This is going to be a very long however-many years for Mrs. Williams.

Yes, I'd really like to read the full transcript of what the Judge said. Two other good quotes from that article:

“What I see is one child dead, one child with PTSD, and seven biological children who apparently believe that degrading and dehumanizing another person is completely acceptable," said Judge Cook.

That is a very good point. I hope the bio children also get counseling, for what the younger children witnessed and what the older sons actually participated in. It is wicked.

Judge Cook added, “These two children who had already endured the loss of their parents in Ethiopia were brought to this country by the defendants for a better life, but they fell into a black hole. At the bottom of that hole they did not find the land of milk and honey. They found the land of frozen vegetables and water soaked sandwiches.â€

And the "better life" meant being beaten by plumbing line, being forced to sleep in closets or bathrooms, and being hosed down outside with cold water instead of getting warm showers . . .

The other thing is that both Carri and Larry will appeal the sentences as well as the convictions. It is not over yet by a long shot.

I don't know if anyone knows the answer to this: Carri's lawyer asked for bail to be reduced to $600,000 pending the appeal. The Judge kept it at 1.5 million. It would really piss me off if Carri manages to get someone to put up the bail and stays out of prison pending the appeal. I didn't even know that was possible, but why else would they be discussing bail at the sentencing? Anyone know?

Lastly, in one of the reports I just read (sorry, I can't remember which) it said that Carri has been kept in a separate "pod" at the jail for her own safety. They were afraid other prisoners would attack her given the nature of the crime. I want her in prison for real whether in solitary or general population. Jail is a walk in the park compared to prison.

We were discussing this over in the other thread. Can a mod merge the threads please?

So Washington State doesn't have parole? They will get time served, or rather Larry will get time served because he has already done 2 years +/- for bail violation. They may get time off for good behavior, I suppose. Does this answer Buzzard's question about the possibility of a split sentence?

We were discussing this over in the other thread. Can a mod merge the threads please?

So Washington State doesn't have parole? They will get time served, or rather Larry will get time served because he has already done 2 years +/- for bail violation. They may get time off for good behavior, I suppose. Does this answer Buzzard's question about the possibility of a split sentence?

Credit for time already served must be credited towards the greater sentence. It doesnt impact availability or eligibility for parole. We need to know if they were sentenced to the maximum IN CUSTODY or whether it is some time in custody and some time on probation. The judge will always say the greatest number first and the media ALWAYS says it wrong.

Some updates:

Lightofdaystories is also discussing the sentence structure. Per Maureen, it was not discussed in open court during the sentencing although a lot of paper work was signed. Larry certainly gets time served. She will be looking out for more information. Another commenter there said (paraphrase) that the Williamses will probably serve 1/3 of the sentence in custody, but can then apply for a pardon or probation. Or something. We need an attorney practicing in WA for this.

Skagit County Superior Court records are available on line. I'm not sure if they are up yet. I've misplaced the case # (darn) and need to find it again. Alternately, someone could request them in hard copy. There is a small fee for both online and hard copy.

Another good article from Gina Cole.

http://www.goskagit.com/all_access/deca ... d5a58.html

As goskagit annoyingly only allows you to view 5 articles in 30 days without registering, I've snipped some quotes, below. If these are more articles in the next 29 days can someone quote them for me? I've used up my quota.

Summary:

- The appeals are now underway.

- The eldest son, Joshua, has no understanding whatsoever that what his parents did (and what he participated in) was wrong. Joshua calls Hana's death an "incident." :angry-banghead:

“I think, at one time or another during this trial, each and every one of us sat stunned and speechless,†Cook told the packed courtroom, calling the testimony of the remaining Williams children a “parade of horrors†that she’ll remember as long as she lives.

I agree with the Judge.

While their appeals are pending, Carri Williams’ bail is set at $1.5 million and Larry Williams’ at $750,000. The pair will be moved to state Department of Corrections custody later this week.

I still don't understand why there is bail.

Now, almost two and a half years after Hana’s death, the boy is beginning to heal, his foster mother told prosecutors. He still has nightmares that Carri Williams climbs in his window at night to take him back, and his post-traumatic stress disorder will require years of therapy, deputy prosecutor Rosemary Kaholokula said Tuesday.

:cry:

The boy was happy but shocked to hear the verdicts, Kaholokula said. “He thought they were going to ‘win,’ †she said, “and in his experience, they do always win.â€

The court has ordered Larry and Carri Williams to have no contact with the boy for life.

Good! Have their parental rights been terminated yet?

Tuesday’s sentencing hearing was a chance for the public to help argue for a harsher or lighter sentence. A few people addressed Cook in person; others, including the two oldest Williams sons, submitted letters.

“This incident regarding (the adopted children) was the result of the total unpreparedness of my parents to take in two children(*) who were entirely unfamiliar with our nation, culture and way of life,†wrote Joshua Williams, who is stationed in Korea with the U.S. Army. He pleaded with the court to reunite his family. “… Is it not punishment enough to watch helplessly as your entire life crashes down around you?â€

No, Joshua. First, I don't think the way Carri and Larry raised any of their children is a "culture and way of life" that anyone should be familiar with. And second. No, your life crashing down is not punishment enough for what your parents did to Hana and Immanuel. Not even the sentences they were given are punishment enough.

After the court adjourned, a large group of Ethiopians visited Hana’s gravesite in Sedro-Woolley, bringing candles, homemade bread and fresh flowers. One read an Amharic poem for Hana; another sang a song.

They and many other members of the public have been raising money to buy a headstone to replace the tiny marker on the ground bearing Hana’s name. So far, their efforts have been thwarted because the Williams family owns the grave plot.

Nice. NOT!

In his letter to Cook, Joshua Williams pointed out that before this case, his parents had never been reported to Child Protective Services, and they passed all the necessary interviews and investigations to adopt. He asked Cook to consider this “track record†in her decision. Cook saw it differently.

Joshua was lucky not to be charged with abuse himself along with his 2 younger brothers. I worry that a person demonstrating such complete indifference to human suffering is a current member of the armed forces in Korea. It is people with a "track record" like his who go on to commit war crimes.

Some updates:

Lightofdaystories is also discussing the sentence structure. Per Maureen, it was not discussed in open court during the sentencing although a lot of paper work was signed. Larry certainly gets time served. She will be looking out for more information. Another commenter there said (paraphrase) that the Williamses will probably serve 1/3 of the sentence in custody, but can then apply for a pardon or probation. Or something. We need an attorney practicing in WA for this.

That makes me extremely unsettled. The only reason you wouldn't pronounce sentence in open court is because you are pulling shenanigans and dont want the media to catch on. I think this is a case where pulling the sentence sheet after the term of court ends (the trial court loses jurisdiction to modify the sentence at the end of the term of court). Its quite possible that they were sentenced to a split sentence and are eligible for parole after 1/3 of the time sentenced, the balance on probation. Not cool.

Damn.

I hope they have to serve the full term -- it's still not enough, but it sure beats their getting out sooner.

That makes me extremely unsettled. The only reason you wouldn't pronounce sentence in open court is because you are pulling shenanigans and dont want the media to catch on. I think this is a case where pulling the sentence sheet after the term of court ends (the trial court loses jurisdiction to modify the sentence at the end of the term of court). Its quite possible that they were sentenced to a split sentence and are eligible for parole after 1/3 of the time sentenced, the balance on probation. Not cool.

FUCK! :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

I'm not usually this vindictive, but what these "parents" did to Hana and Immanuel is unspeakable. I want them to do the full sentence. I also want a very strong message sent to all those TTUAC aficionados and the bloody abusive Pearls that these methods are forbidden, verboten, dangerous and should never be used on bio children -- let alone adopted children for all the reasons mentioned earlier in this thread!!!

Mind you, given Carri's disrespect for the Court (not standing for the verdict) I feel fairly confident that she will be a total pain in the ass in prison and will not get time off for good behavior.

Joshua was lucky not to be charged with abuse himself along with his 2 younger brothers. I worry that a person demonstrating such complete indifference to human suffering is a current member of the armed forces in Korea. It is people with a "track record" like his who go on to commit war crimes.

I too am concerned that a person who appears to be dangerously lacking in compassion, empathy or normal human kindness is serving in our armed forces. I hope he doesn't re-enlist once his first term is up.

The sentences are to serve the entire time. The charges ARE parolable but it is not guaranteed.

Source? Where did you get the entire time? I want to believe you (and I know you are an attorney) but I have a nasty feeling that Larry and Carri are going to walk after 1/3 of their sentences.

At least, after even 1/3 of their sentences, their bio children will all be adults and will, I hope, have had good counseling so that the abuse is not perpetrated into another generation. That said, I don't hold out much hope for Joshua. :cry:

The sentences are to serve the entire time.

Well, that's good to hear.

I hope the appeals and his crying for a new trial come to nothing, and that they have to serve every fucking minute coming to them.

A small piece of international coverage in this very neglected case. Although TTUAC is mentioned, the Pearls are totally innocent, of course. :twisted:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/51821 ... stians.htm

I'd seen that, and emailed her on Wednesday, because she'd originally referred to the book as "How To Train Up a Child."

I also sent her the link to read the whole book, and urged her to do so and perhaps help pursue how awful it is in future articles.

Source? Where did you get the entire time? I want to believe you (and I know you are an attorney) but I have a nasty feeling that Larry and Carri are going to walk after 1/3 of their sentences.

At least, after even 1/3 of their sentences, their bio children will all be adults and will, I hope, have had good counseling so that the abuse is not perpetrated into another generation. That said, I don't hold out much hope for Joshua. :cry:

I called the clerk's office. 360-336-9440

The case numbers are:

11-1-00928-8 and 11-1-00927-0

The sentences were the maximum TO SERVE but, like almost all crimes, they are eligible for parole. It doesnt mean that they will get it, but they are eligible.