IGNORED

Williams Abuse Trial - Hana Alemu/Hannah Williams - Merge

wild little fox

"Superior Court Judge Susan Cook showed no mercy to Larry and Carri Williams, found guilty of causing the tragic death of their adopted daughter, Hana, by using Biblical based parenting techniques found in the controversial child-rearing book, To Train up a Child, by Michael and Debi Pearl.

Cook sentenced Carri Williams to 37 years in prison. Her husband Larry, convicted of lesser charges, was sentenced to just under 28 years. "

http://www.examiner.com/article/christi ... h-of-child

I guess this is some sort of justice for Hannah.

(sorry if this is the wrong place, I did a search and couldn't any other thread to put this in)

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/ ... could.html

The above is a link to an article in Slate written by Kathryn Joyce (The Child Catchers about Hana's untimely death at the hands of those two sadistic assholes that she had the misfortune to call "parents". Anyway, I've only skimmed the article and there are mentions of TTUAC by the Pearls, including a snapshot of the cover of the book. The article is divided into three sections and from what I can tell the first two are about Hana and Williams.

This is good guys. It was on the Slate's front page when I went there. I'd include the screenshot I took, but I don't know how and I'm way too tired to figure it out.

Sorry this isn't a good post. I've been cramming and decided to take a break. When I saw the home page I thought the rest of you FJer's would like to read it.

-Link not broken 'cause it's from slate.

I have been following this case. It was the death of Lydia Schatz that in an indirect way led me to FreeJinger.

It's been two years and Hana's grave hasn't had a marker. The Ethiopian community and others asked to be allowed to put a marker, but they were told they'd need to get permission from the family so that's never happened. The extended family of the Williams finally ordered a marker, probably because of pervasive shaming by the media, and they've put her birth date as 1994. (Making her 16 when she died and not 13.) Just a final fuck-you from the Williams' to the child they abused to death.

I wasn't aware you could put any old date you want on headstones! I assumed it had to match the death certificate.

The Slate article is excellent, as you might expect from Kathryn Joyce. It also details the plight of other Ethiopian adopted children in the Seattle area.

Hana and Immanual were not an isolated case.

The Douglas and Kristen Barbour trial in PA that I mentioned pages ago in this thread has been delayed again. The trial is now scheduled to begin January 13th, 2014. I'll start a new thread for the Barbour trial, but here is a quick summary for anyone interested:

So far, we don't know of a direct link to TTUAC, but the Barbours used similar methods of "training" and are described as very religious Evangelical Christians. The Ethiopian adopted son in this case was brought to hospital with hypothermia and lesions on his legs caused by urine burns. The hypothermia was because he had been placed soaking wet in a cold bathroom for several hours after wetting his pants. This fact was voluntarily disclosed by Douglas Barbour when questioned in the Emergency room by hospital staff. It was a regular punishment.

On investigation of the home after the son was admitted to hospital, the adopted daughter was found with massive head trauma resulting in permanent blinding of one eye and paralysis.

The bio-children were not abused and have since been returned to their parents' care. The father is on suspension from his job as a Deputy Attorney General pending trial.

The trial has been delayed a second time because the defense had difficulty in finding an expert witness to contradict the findings of the hospital staff of shaken baby syndrome in the little girl's case. They are apparently going to claim that the head injuries were caused by "rebleed" of a pre-existing brain aneurism.

The victims in this case are far to young to testify at trail. I hope the prosecution are good at their jobs.

http://www.post-gazette.com/neighborhoo ... 1310070091

Interesting -- the Pearls did not send their minions to flood Amazon with positive reviews of TTUAC this time.

I have no idea if that is significant or not.

AFAIK there is no direct link to the Pearls this time in the form of a "smoking gun" copy of TTUAC found in the Barbour home. The Pearls and TTUAC have not been mentioned yet in coverage so no need for the Pearls to flood their Amazon page with 5 star reviews.

It is the methods that are so disturbingly familiar. The Prosecution has been informed (although they already knew) of similarities to other abuse cases connected with Pearl teachings. We have to wait to see whether this is brought up during the trial.

No-one died here, and we have Pretty White Girl Syndrome again. I'm sure we would not have seen nearly as much press coverage if Douglas Barbour were not a Deputy Attorney General.

A double edged sword. The Prosecution/Judge may be harder on him because of his job. Or they could fuck it up royally because of his job. PA residents may be able to comment on the political climate and the likelihood of political bias affecting this trial. It is a mystery to me. :?

AFAIK there is no direct link to the Pearls this time in the form of a "smoking gun" copy of TTUAC found in the Barbour home. The Pearls and TTUAC have not been mentioned yet in coverage so no need for the Pearls to flood their Amazon page with 5 star reviews.

I meant the Williams trial and sentencing when I said "this time," not the Barbour case. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Those events clearly brought people to Amazon to condemn the Pearls, but he does not seem to have called out the troops to defend him.

I meant the Williams trial and sentencing when I said "this time," not the Barbour case. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Those events clearly brought people to Amazon to condemn the Pearls, but he does not seem to have called out the troops to defend him.

Ah. OK. Sorry I misunderstood. :D

It is very weird that Pearl doesn't seem to have mustered the troops in the wake of the Williamses convictions. Very optimistic thought -- perhaps the troops are getting tired of defending him and Debi and the kids' fingers are tired?

Ah. OK. Sorry I misunderstood. :D

It is very weird that Pearl doesn't seem to have mustered the troops in the wake of the Williamses convictions. Very optimistic thought -- perhaps the troops are getting tired of defending him and Debi and the kids' fingers are tired?

That's a nice thought -- hope it's true.

The thought of followers and supporters walking away from people like Pearl and Dougie makes me happy. :D

An old high school friend posted this link to my Facebook, and she was pretty mad.

examiner.com/article/another-couple-found-guilty-of-murder-for-parenting-by-to-train-up-a-child

So sorry if this has been posted already.

An old high school friend posted this link to my Facebook, and she was pretty mad.

examiner.com/article/another-couple-found-guilty-of-murder-for-parenting-by-to-train-up-a-child

So sorry if this has been posted already.

Thank you. It is very good to know that this case is reaching a wider audience. I'm glad your friend was mad. She should be mad.

The sad truth is (although my last post was rather sarcastic optimism and I'm sure Thoughtful understood that) I don't think that the Williamses conviction will really discourage dyed in the wool true believer followers of TTUAC.

They may not be posting openly these days. I think they have gone further underground are telling each other better ways to avoid legal action. Along the lines of "don't call 911, there is always a backyard burial possibility." :cry:

True, I feel like each time the book is mentioned, they see an increase in sales... I'm against banning books, but that is one book that should probably be banned.

Thank you. It is very good to know that this case is reaching a wider audience. I'm glad your friend was mad. She should be mad.

The sad truth is (although my last post was rather sarcastic optimism and I'm sure Thoughtful understood that) I don't think that the Williamses conviction will really discourage dyed in the wool true believer followers of TTUAC.

They may not be posting openly these days. I think they have gone further underground are telling each other better ways to avoid legal action. Along the lines of "don't call 911, there is always a backyard burial possibility." :cry:

I still have hope that some well-meaning people who get the book as a shower gift from a friend they respect can be reached by things like the news stories and Amazon reviews.

Hard-core Pearl-swine, no.

Three of my friends who aren't fundie watchers like us have linked to this trial and also various petitions and articles about how awful TTUAC is. Good to see that it is getting around, everyone needs to know that a book as awful as that exists and that children have died because of it.

There has been a huge influx of negative reviews for TTUAC on Amazon, and a moderate influx of "likes" for negative reviews on Goodreads.

My favorite Amazon review:

"Wonderful book. So glad somebody is finally brave enough to stand up for the pro-beating-up-babies movement. For too long, those little bald bastards have been walking (or crawling) all over us decent grown folk, and I for one am sick of it. These authors give such good advice it's insane! I could sing the praises of these amazing, God-fearing baby-beaters all day, but I thought I'd take this opportunity to recommend a few other titles sure to be right up the alley of anyone who enjoys this book.

Cooking for Company - Jeffrey Dahmer

Best Christmas Ever: A Couple's Guide to the Holidays - Scott Peterson

Dog Bathing Made Easy - Michael Vick

And last but not least,

All Aboard: A Final Solution for Train Enthusiasts - Adolph Hitler

Happy reading, everybody!"

My favorite Amazon review:

"Wonderful book. So glad somebody is finally brave enough to stand up for the pro-beating-up-babies movement. For too long, those little bald bastards have been walking (or crawling) all over us decent grown folk, and I for one am sick of it. These authors give such good advice it's insane! I could sing the praises of these amazing, God-fearing baby-beaters all day, but I thought I'd take this opportunity to recommend a few other titles sure to be right up the alley of anyone who enjoys this book.

Cooking for Company - Jeffrey Dahmer

Best Christmas Ever: A Couple's Guide to the Holidays - Scott Peterson

Dog Bathing Made Easy - Michael Vick

And last but not least,

All Aboard: A Final Solution for Train Enthusiasts - Adolph Hitler

Happy reading, everybody!"

I think I am going to Hell. That was hilarious.