IGNORED

Fat-shaming kids on Halloween

Flossie

Here's hoping this is just a sick joke:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/3 ... 77341.html

Children in a North Dakota neighborhood may be slated to get an awful surprise this Halloween: A local woman is reportedly planning to hand out "fat letters," instead of candy, to kids she thinks are "moderately obese."

Valley News Live reported a local Fargo woman called into Y-94 radio recently and revealed her plan to take on childhood obesity by handing out letters targeting trick-or-treaters whom she considers obese.

"I just want to send a message to the parents of kids that are really overweight," she told the station. "I think it's just really irresponsible of parents to send them out looking for free candy just 'cause all the other kids are doing it."

Valley News Live obtained a copy of the letter, in which the woman, who is only identified as Cheryl, writes, in part:

You [sic] child is, in my opinion, moderately obese and should not be consuming sugar and treats to the extent of some children this Halloween season. My hope is that you will step up as a parent and ration candy this Halloween and not allow your child to continue these unhealthy eating habits.

Obviously, some have taken issue with this.

"I can understand if you are that weird and concerned about kid’s weight maybe handing out boxes of raisins or bags of carrot sticks or something," wrote Eve Vawter of Mommyish. "I can see MAYBE hanging a sign on your door that reads 'I will not be handing out candy this year.' But to fat-shame little kids who come to your door trick or treating? That’s a whole other level of evil. Way to make all the kids feel like garbage, lady."

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports childhood obesity has more than doubled in the past 30 years. In 2010, more than one-third of children and adolescents in the U.S. were considered overweight or obese. The CDC acknowledges many societal sectors can influence a child's lifestyle habits and recommends combating this issue by promoting healthy eating and physical activity, while fostering a supportive environment.

"Fat-shaming" is not one of those recommendations.

The practice made headlines last year when the Strong4Life campaign and Children's Healthcare of Atlanta released a series of "Stop Childhood Obesity" ads featuring overweight children. A study published in July proved fat-shaming has adverse effects and actually increases the risk for obesity.

While this is just about one of the worst things we can think of to do to a hopeful trick-or-treater, Jezebel does raise the possibility that the whole "fat letter" thing is just a radio stunt.

We can only hope.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports childhood obesity has more than doubled in the past 30 years. In 2010, more than one-third of children and adolescents in the U.S. were considered overweight or obese. The CDC acknowledges many societal sectors can influence a child's lifestyle habits and recommends combating this issue by promoting healthy eating and physical activity, while fostering a supportive environment.

"Fat-shaming" is not one of those recommendations.

Lawl. Excellent snark Huffpost.

But in all seriousness, this lady needs to focus on her own life. No one is so happy and perfect that they need to use their time to fat-shame people they don't even know. She could use that time to volunteer at some sort of after-school health program. Sigh.

eta riffles

If this is real, I hope that this asshat ends up weighing 300 lbs.

If the story is true, I can see 'Cheryl' getting her house egged - but only the whites, please. You know, 'cause of the fat in the yolks.

This was discussed on The Chew yesterday. I don't know if it's real or if it's fake but if it's real the judgmental woman who wrote it would be better served giving kids an apple or a bag of raw carrots and celery than this hateful letter.

Archived