Trouble in Paradise at LiaS?

Hisey

I'm fairly certain this is the church they attend:

christcovenantsa.org/

Their constitution contains such gems as:

and

and

Charming...

The believing male is normally the head of household? What instances are there of when he's not? Who would be head of household then?

The believing male is normally the head of household? What instances are there of when he's not? Who would be head of household then?

Widows can be considered by the church leadership, but it sounds like it's up to their discretion.

What about situations where the wife is born again (and so a strict believing Christian who adheres to all the tenets of this church) but her legal, nominally Christian husband doesn't buy into any of it, and is much less fundie so doesn't join that church?

Obviously she's still married, but...?

For that matter, what if a woman comes to church on Sunday when her husband is sick?

What about situations where the wife is born again (and so a strict believing Christian who adheres to all the tenets of this church) but her legal, nominally Christian husband doesn't buy into any of it, and is much less fundie so doesn't join that church?

For that matter, what if a woman comes to church on Sunday when her husband is sick?

Given this quote,

Female communicant members that do not have male voting representation shall communicate their concerns and opinions by way of the Session.

I would imagine that she would not have voting rights and her ability to partake in communion would be decided by the church leaders? She would have to plead her case to a panel of dudes who think "Cool Story Babe, Now Make Me a Sandwich" is a funny slogan for a t-shirt.

I don't think they would allow a woman to attend without the blessing of the husband. I bet you can find all sorts of blaming the woman for why the husband refuses to believe the right things.

I don't think they would allow a woman to attend without the blessing of the husband. I bet you can find all sorts of blaming the woman for why the husband refuses to believe the right things.

Chief among their reasons being "You didn't submit enough," I would guarantee.

• 2 years later...

(Still pretty new, and learning the languages. Catching up on old threads, and not doing the necro thing just for fun.)  Raised Missouri Synod Lutheran over here (escaped years ago), and there was some emphasis on making sure you were in good standing before communion or you would be guilty of the blood of Jesus.  (That was part of the reason, IIRC, why we didn't permit those heretical modern Lutherans into confessional fellowship---i.e., OK for communion---to prevent them from falling into sin.)

Had a VERY nasty thought, though: What happens if the HOH thinks, through discernment or whatever, that the bridely wife is NOT in a proper state for the Eucharist?  Maybe rebellious, maybe with an unconfessed sin, maybe just because he wants to exercise His Headship.  Am I alone in thinking this might be one hell of a way to seriously exercise power, by blocking someone's access to the sacraments? (And FWIW, MSLC believed that communion is a sacrament given for the forgiveness of sin, so therefore a BIG deal.)  Opinions?

Archived