IGNORED

Sunshine Mary and Lori agree: Submit to your husband

Sunshine Mary has a bizarre post up today about wifely submission. sunshinemaryandthedragon.wordpress.com/2013/10/13/when-submit-in-everything-means-but-not-this-thing/

Last week, another post on submission led her readers to ask her what they should do if their husbands asked them to have a threesome or rob a bank or get an abortion. Sunshine believes these are red herrings b/c men typically don't ask their wives to sin.

Since it is unlikely that most of our husbands will ever command us to sin, why does this concern always pop up in every thread ever written anywhere about wifely submission? At first I thought it was merely because women were looking for an out on having to obey their husbands; it’s quite clear that the problem with the modern marital hierarchy isn’t that husbands are en masse commanding their wives to rob banks and engage in threesomes but rather that women are rebellious and disobedient, judging their husbands’ performances in an attempt to find some reason why they need not submit.

Being a good submissive wife, sunshine asked her husband for his opinion on what a woman should do if her husband asked her to sin.

Here is how my husband explained it to me: God is present with us, and He is always in authority over husbands. There are some things that husbands may command wives to do that are not in accordance with God’s will but which are not revealed as sin in the Bible; those things wives are obligated to do and trust in God to make right. There are other things that are clearly stated in the Bible that we are not to do; they are commands from God that we must not disobey (“Thou shalt notâ€). Since these are explicit commands from God, and since God is present with us, therefore a wife must not obey her husband when it would mean disobeying a direct command from God in the Bible.

This does not mean that she gets to disobey her husband carte blanche if he himself is in sin. We don’t get to judge our husbands just because they may be in rebellion to God; if they tell us to do something we think is a terrible idea but which doesn’t violate Scripture, we must do it. We don’t get to judge our husbands but we must judge their commands if they violate any of God’s thou shalt nots.

So, if your husband tells you to do something explicitly prohibited like stealing or murdering someone, you can refuse. But, if he asked you do to something that will likely result in financial ruin or will cause you emotional distress, you're out of luck.

And, if you disobey your husband for any reason, he's not obligated to financially support you.

If you will not submit to him, you should not receive the benefits of being his wife. Is that fair? No. But then again, it wasn’t particularly fair to Adam that Eve chose to listen to the snake. Sometimes in this world we will have to suffer to do what is right; if you cannot submit to a command from your husband, perhaps you should not receive his provision and protection.

She ends the post with a lot of Bible verses about submission, but I won't bother to re-quote them here.

Lori Alexander was the first to comment. She loved the post, of course.

Okay, so maybe most men don't ask their wives to rob banks or engage in threesomes. However, there are plenty of less extreme instances that do come up in marriages. Financial decisions, medical decisions, problems with kids, etc. I'm not sure why none of these fundies can come up with mutually beneficial compromises. Why does one person have to be sanctioned by God to always be right?

As far as a disobedient wife not getting to enjoy the benefits of marriage, it sounds like Sunshine and Lori have shitty marriages to begin with. What benefits are they talking about??!? :think:

And then consider this little gem from Shitstain in the comments section:

Wifely submission to a husband’s authority is the way of the natural world, too. Consider how many pick-up artist types seem to favor sweet, submissive women.

So, if Bible verses about submission aren't enough to convince you of the goodness of wifely submission, just think of all those sleazy pick-up artists for whom you would make easy prey if only you would display your innate submissiveness!!! C'mon women, get a clue!! :doh:

If you will not submit to him, you should not receive the benefits of being his wife. Is that fair? No. But then again, it wasn’t particularly fair to Adam that Eve chose to listen to the snake. Sometimes in this world we will have to suffer to do what is right; if you cannot submit to a command from your husband, perhaps you should not receive his provision and protection.

Again SSM makes our point for us. If I do not agree with my husband and refuse to submit to his will, I can leave. I have a good job. I do not need his provision and protection. I am educated, capable and need not suffer for his bad decisions.

Did she just edit that post and a whole lot of the comments on her blog? I could have sworn that some of the phrases that I saw before are missing, including a line about "heaping coals on your enemies' head (even if the enemy is your husband)". Anyone else notice?

Again SSM makes our point for us. If I do not agree with my husband and refuse to submit to his will, I can leave. I have a good job. I do not need his provision and protection. I am educated, capable and need not suffer for his bad decisions.

They are idiotic. All of them.

They bitch and moan about how wives should all be submissive and do whatever the husband wants which to them is not be educated or career focused. Then they bitch and moan about how women take so much of the man's hard earned money in a divorce. You don't get it both ways. If you want to control a woman and cripple her capacity to look after herself independently then of course you should have an obligation to financially help her out even if you decide you don't really like her that much anymore, or if she wises up to your manipulation. Sadly in SSM's world, if you end up married to an arse of a guy that was your fault and you should suck it up and take responsibly for your decision to marry an arse.

The more I read comments by her followers the more I think that these guys have a really predatory view towards women. Also that SSM cares more about hating on women than she does about her own faith.

And finally, wasn't the reason why they were talking about a husband asking his submissive wife to have a threesome because one of the submissive wives who comments said EXACTLY THAT had happened in her marriage. Oh no it would never happen, except for that person standing right there who it happened to :angry-banghead:.

So, if Bible verses about submission aren't enough to convince you of the goodness of wifely submission, just think of all those sleazy pick-up artists for whom you would make easy prey if only you would display your innate submissiveness!!! C'mon women, get a clue!! :doh:

Jerks like Holy Hand Job prefer "submissive" (ie, insecure) women because they see them as easier to control and manipulate.

What is funny is that I have an acquaintance who is a real, in the flesh, ALPHA pick up artist that so many MRAs aspire to. And guess what? He prefers highly educated, accomplished, modern, sophisticated women. Gee, maybe there is a wide range of sexual preferences, you guys!

So, yet again Lori and Mary explain that, in exchange for money in form of a place to live and food and clothing, they will do anything they are told and that sex and washing dishes are their only valuable skills.... did I get that right?

Not to mention serial killers. I agree with you -- "Women, get a clue!"

What I don't understand about this is how is God supposed to judge you in the afterlife. You did lots of things that you thought were wrong but they weren't explicitly forbidden and someone else told you to. That's an excuse lots of evil people have used throughout history. Does that mean God will judge you leniently and them as well? On what basis would God show mercy to you but not to them?

I'm glad I don't believe this nonsense.

Wondering this, but ssm has a serial cheater for a husband. Do you think she is projecting her feelings about her husband into other women? It just seems like deep down all her screeching is really rooted in anger with her husband. Of course she'll deny it but...

Archived