IGNORED

Caylee Anthony-if your pro choice, you should be pro murder.

Milly-Molly-Mandy

demgirl, it wouldn't precisely be my first choice either. But this one gets the banhammer dropped on me too often to go into details. Even FJ might be less than tolerant.

Wonder why that would be :?: :roll:

aye well here goes as I might as well now anyway. I saw a documentary on a child of seven with a genetic disease which gave her the mind of an infant, left her in constant pain and she needed an oxygen machine. Her mum set an alarm to check her pain meds and turn her several times a night. They were celebrating because they reckoned she could almost tell the difference between two colours. Tell me that life is something you would put a dog through.

Yes, I already presumed that your views were based on such an anecdote. I was asking why on earth do you think people would bring the "banhammer" down on you for those views? It was meant as sarcastic.

Yes, I already presumed that your views were based on such an anecdote. I was asking why on earth do you think people would bring thep "banhammer" down on you for those views? It was meant as sarcastic.

Yeah, I know. And I do appreciate I can come off as a total arsehole on this one (moar snark may be available here...) :)

Guest Anonymous

As long as I've been lurking and posting at FJ, I've never seen anyone get banned for holding views that were repugnant to other posters. Not counting straight up spammers, I can only recall two people who were banned for any reason. IIRC that was one who had a sock puppet army, and one who engaged in blatant personal attacks/trolling/general shit stirring. And some people disagreed with the bannings in both cases. (Back on the Yuku board. One *B.A. and one *A.A.)

*Before Alecto and *After Alecto. Because I think I'm funny.

As long as I've been lurking and posting at FJ, I've never seen anyone get banned for holding views that were repugnant to other posters. Not counting straight up spammers, I can only recall two people who were banned for any reason. IIRC that was one who had a sock puppet army, and one who engaged in blatant personal attacks/trolling/general shit stirring. And some people disagreed with the bannings in both cases. (Back on the Yuku board. One *B.A. and one *A.A.)

*Before Alecto and *After Alecto. Because I think I'm funny.

Three: One for making threats of violence against other posters shortly after we moved here, but that was a 30 day ban.

Well, four, but number four asked to be banned because of some internet addiction issues. So really a self-ban doesn't count.

This is one of the comments

This isn't the first time that I have read this type of argument. How can you care about X when Y is happening in the world? It's as if the commentor doesn't comprehend that humans can be interested and outraged about more than one subject at the time.

I've always viewed this arguement as a way to shut down dissenting opinions. "You are upset poverty in your neighborhood. Well, how dare you care about that instead of poverty in Africa?" or "How dare you care about poverty in Africa when you don't care about poverty in India." It shuts down conversation in threads because the other person has to defend the fact that they do indeed care about social issues.

Ah, the ever-present straw-man. I wish that person would have argued the point at hand rather than deflect the issue, which is an indication said poster has no argument. It's one of my biggest message-board pet peeves; it's harded to do in face to face debate, because when writing, you have time to edit yourself somewhat before hitting the "enter" button.

free jingerists, I have been thinking about this and want to say sorry if I offended mums and dads of disabled children. My views on this are complex and I always explain them terribly in writing. I have made an arse of myself on this more times than I can count and should really not discuss it online. I meant no disrespect to you or your kids.

Blech. That line about abortion being just like murdering a three-year-old turns up in just about every thread everywhere on the Internet discussing Casey Anthony. And the people saying it always think they are coming up with some deep philosophical insight.

Actually, I see the Casey Anthony case as an example of why forcing someone to become a mother is never a good thing. Casey didn't seem to have an issue with carrying the pregnancy to full term, but she waned to give the baby up for adoption, and her family didn't support her in that and pressured her to keep the baby.

Stickers, there is only one source for the story that Casey's mother forced her to keep Caylee, a woman named Kiomarie who came off as kind of spacy in her interview with the police. Since all of Casey's other friends stated that Casey always intended to keep Caylee, and since Casey's fiance at the time believed that the plan was for the two of them to get married and raise Caylee, I believe that Kiomarie was either mistaken or lied to.

I actually have a theory about that--Kiomarie was Casey's age, but had known for a long time that she herself could not have children, and she planned to adopt. The story wasn't just that Casey wanted to give Caylee up for adoption but her mother wouldn't let her--it was that Casey would give Caylee to Kiomarie to adopt but her mother wouldn't let her. So, I suspect that Casey was being a little sadistic and bitchy and basically using her own fecundity to taunt her infertile friend.

Caylee could survive without her mother. Therefore it wasn't her mother making a choice about her own body but somebody else's body. She could have easily put the little girl up for adoption unlike a woman who is 2 months pregnant and can't exactly remove the fetus and put it up for adoption.

I wonder if twits like this one realize that people like me read something like that and are instantly reminded that it's been awhile since a Planned Parenthood donation was made.

I just can't argue with Teh Stupidity. What's the point? People like her will never change. They'll continue to vote for the most conservative people they can find, which is supporting the funding cuts for every social program out there, including children in need who are already living outside the womb, and still insist that they are morally superior to everyone else because they fight for the rights of a blob of cells. Imagine how much they could accomplish if they got up in arms about all of the kids out there going hungry tonight and did something to help them. Oh, right. There's a friendly neighborhood church for everyone on the planet to turn to if they can just be godly enough.

That is literally in the top 5 stupidest things I have ever read.

On par with the idiot asshole who said being pro-choice disqualifies you from receiving any sympathy for having a miscarriage. Because it never really sucks a whole lot to have a miscarriage. Or that women never grieve having an abortion.

If you feel a fetus is equal to a two year old, then you should have no problem with Florida State Detectives playing around in your uterus if you have a miscarriage.

After all, if a two year old goes missing, or is murdered, there is a thorough investigation of the crime scene, no? So by this genius's logic, every miscarriage is potentially a murder.

Forget burglaries, child molestation, or drug rings.... all of our overtaxed police force will be assigned to SVU: Vagina Detail.

But in the same thought of pro choice being equal to murder isn't pro life the same? As said before there are millions of reasons why a woman has an abortion and saving her life should be one of the top.

Forget burglaries, child molestation, or drug rings.... all of our overtaxed police force will be assigned to SVU: Vagina Detail.

I was drinking water while I read this and I nearly spit it out all over my computer I was so amused by this comment.

I wonder if twits like this one realize that people like me read something like that and are instantly reminded that it's been awhile since a Planned Parenthood donation was made.

I just can't argue with Teh Stupidity. What's the point? People like her will never change. They'll continue to vote for the most conservative people they can find, which is supporting the funding cuts for every social program out there, including children in need who are already living outside the womb, and still insist that they are morally superior to everyone else because they fight for the rights of a blob of cells. Imagine how much they could accomplish if they got up in arms about all of the kids out there going hungry tonight and did something to help them. Oh, right. There's a friendly neighborhood church for everyone on the planet to turn to if they can just be godly enough.

I've read blog posts about women who go and pray outside of Planned Parenthood and they pray that women entering the clinic for an abortion change their mind. Nevermind women going in for abortions make up less than 3% of services utilized by PP. I think there are many more activities that could be better used than praying outside of a Planned Parenthood. How about volunteering at a women's shelter? The bloggers I've read don't do any charitable work as far as I can tell, besides their praying. :roll:

There are times I figure people forget about what happens AFTER childbirth. That there is a human. A human that needs food, shelter, care and so on. Where are these people then? Oh right...

Ha! You win.

If you feel a fetus is equal to a two year old, then you should have no problem with Florida State Detectives playing around in your uterus if you have a miscarriage.

After all, if a two year old goes missing, or is murdered, there is a thorough investigation of the crime scene, no? So by this genius's logic, every miscarriage is potentially a murder.

LOL! Promised myself not to respond more on this thread but here goes. I feel very strongly on this issue.

I am 100% pro choice and like to think the scenario presented would play out in reverse. Not that there would be a vag investigating detectives :) or random small children would be killed, omg. But that certain interventions or lack thereof would be considered. Case by case.

I know this is an extremely unpopular position with pro choice folk too. It's just mine. I cannot even conceive of the legislation for this either.

JesusFightClub, I kind of agree with you, I think. My grandfather has alzheimers, and there was a period of a few months where he was getting incredibly, incredibly distressed on an hourly basis and tried to commit suicide, and forgot what he was doing halfway through and didn't take enough pills. My grandma panicked and rushed him to the hospital, and he's been in an assisted care facility ever since. He's never going to get any better, he's certainly not enjoying life, and you're right- this isn't something I'd let my dog go through, and it's not something I would want to go through. I don't want there to be some kind of "usefulness" panel or something, I really do think every human being has something special they bring to the table, regardless of whether we recognize what it is or not. But I do think that letting go hurts a lot less than holding on longer than you should, and that people should be able to decide when to let go for themselves and that parents with seriously ill children should be able to make that decision for themselves, as well. I don't know how'd you legislate that either, though.

JesusFightClub, I kind of agree with you, I think. My grandfather has alzheimers, and there was a period of a few months where he was getting incredibly, incredibly distressed on an hourly basis and tried to commit suicide, and forgot what he was doing halfway through and didn't take enough pills. My grandma panicked and rushed him to the hospital, and he's been in an assisted care facility ever since. He's never going to get any better, he's certainly not enjoying life, and you're right- this isn't something I'd let my dog go through, and it's not something I would want to go through. I don't want there to be some kind of "usefulness" panel or something, I really do think every human being has something special they bring to the table, regardless of whether we recognize what it is or not. But I do think that letting go hurts a lot less than holding on longer than you should, and that people should be able to decide when to let go for themselves and that parents with seriously ill children should be able to make that decision for themselves, as well. I don't know how'd you legislate that either, though.

This sums it up far better than I could. And I am sorry, very sorry to hear about your grandad.

It is not about usefulness to me or to Singer. It is about pain, distress and there being the chance of viable life.

No one would have called the manipulative, dishonest Casey Anthony a woman of strength. Comparing a two year old to a first trimester embryo seems callous to me.

I've noticed that, because pro-lifers think abortion is horrible and should never be done, they assume, or pretend to assume, pro-choicers thinks it's great and every woman should have done, something that I've never heard any pro-choicer utter (instead I even know a certain number of people who support legal abortion but are pro-life on a personal level, they just don't think banning it is a good idea).

Archived