IGNORED

Over the top homeschool room tour!

2 much chickenetti

Finally got the link to work so I could see it. I don't think its an over the top homeschooling room, but I do think it feels so cold in there. My boys would hate it! We do have a dedicated school room in our house. Its what should be the formal dining room, but it is also my craft room. I thought I would never have one because I wanted us to school where we wanted. Turns out having boys in 3 different grades with 3 very different interests means we have a lot of stuff for school and a dedicated room makes sense. It's right next to the kitchen and wide open to the music room (which should be a formal living room). It gives the boys a place to leave things out like my middle's current science experiment and my oldest's robotics.

As much as I love having our dedicated school room, the boys still go wherever they want to get their work done. The couch for reading, their bedrooms when they need to get away from other noise, the kitchen table for messy projects because it doesn't have carpet. If I made them all stay in the same room all day long, I'm pretty sure it would just always end up in a wrestling match.

It's a cute, well-organized room.

Having a separate room dedicated to schoolwork never appealed to me, because the whole "school" vibe was what I was trying to avoid in the first place. We just store our books on the bookshelves and work wherever. My sons tend to work at their desks in their room, the girls are more likely to be in the living room sprawled on the couch. I correct work and do my planning in bed. :D

I do think it's nice she puts effort into changing things up when something isn't working. I logged too many hours in our boring home office last year and completely understand the need for a change.

That said, I really dislike the "classroom" at home makeover. Those desks and wall maps are a step back imo. I can't imagine the kids preferring to spend time at those tiny, hard desks after the novelty has worn off. I predict they will start fighting over the big desk more and more often. Also supersizing the earth does not make it any more memorable :lol: an atlas and globe work just fine for learning geography. The globe I spied tucked up high needs to be pulled down for kids to manipulate. If they break it, replace it. It's not a major purchase! She can even buy blow up globes for the tots. Mapping the world with art is a fun course the kids would get way more out of than purchasing any more wall maps.

She also says in the article that her kids love maps. A couple of my kids loved maps, we'd get the ones out of National Geographic each month and put them up. They would have loved having huge pull down maps like that.

I love it! We've got a dedicated school room, too. In our old house, we didn't have a space. The kids' school stuff was all crammed into the too small living room. If my husband was home and watching TV, they couldn't concentrate. Our school room in our new house is right off the living room. It gives them an area to focus and to have their things organized. We still need more storage, but it's nice just having the room! It doubles as our "music room" as well. The piano we got for free from a fundie-light who posted on the FB group I'm in resides there. We've even got big maps on the wall! lol They're not the nice roll down maps, though. I'll have to start crawling Craigslist. I love those things. I do have a litho I got when I was a teenager of John Lennon, Buddy Holly, Kim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, and Mozart hanging, though. ;-) I need to go through the rest of my posters.

All I get when I copy and paste the address in the OP is a list of links to things like Brown Mackie College and Homeschool Curriculum.

Even so, based on the comments, it is encouraging to see folks genuinely educating kids at home (or at least taking it seriously) rather than some real-life folks I know who just put a textbook in front of their child and let them go.

I love maps, too and would have loved it if the teachers pointed out places where things happened and why they happened. If I homeschooled (especially with my younger daughter, who also has a penchant for maps - yes, she chose wall maps and a globe for Christmas presents one year), I'd have wall maps where I could point out where things happened and why.

Nothing snark worthy here at all!

She seems like a loving mother who is very serious about her homeschooling and doing the best she can for her little ones. So many of these SODRT moms we snark on don't seem to put ANY effort into actually educating their children. This lady is doing an awesome job - good for her!!

Archived