IGNORED

Lori blogs about welfare comment

TANF is really a welfare to work program. All able bodied adults are required to either work or do work prepardness

stuff. If you don't, you and in some states the whole family is cut off cash aid. Food stamps and medicaid do not have time limits.

You know, I'll give Lori credit here for her consistency. It's a constant complaint from me that so many right-wing conservatives are so big on SAHM and yet spew all this hate towards single mothers on welfare. They are the first ones to talk up the "SAHM is the most important job in the world blah blah" spiel, and then in the next breath complain that single mothers are lazy for taking welfare so they can "stick on their butt". Lori at least consistently support the idea that mothers should stay at home regardless of the state of their husbands.

That said, Lori is still insinuating that only "moral" women are deserving of caring for their young children at home. It's like being a SAHM is a "reward" for women who are moral and virtuous, while those conceived through "sinful" behavior are undeserving of a SAHM (which is the *only* way to raise a child properly).

All this proves to me that fundies and may conservatives don't believe SAHM for the benefit of children, because then they would push for policies that allows *all* mothers to stay home if possible. Rather, conservatives view SAHM as a benefit to the husbands. When the mother is married to a man, she should stay home. If she's unattached, then she should work. Children are not a factor in this. It's also why I'm wary of any SAHM push from conservatives, because any policy from that side is to benefit the men, it's never about the children, or the mothers.

Archived