IGNORED

Jessa is Courting! All Things Duggar Family - Part 7

happy atheist

Back to Jessa...there's really no proof she is courting this young man.

The photo of them side-hugging is now his profile picture. A bunch of his relatives were congratulating him, one of his aunts said Jessa was his girlfriend, and then there was Josh Duggar's silly 'I'm watching you' comment. I'd say it's looking more likely than not.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't blame J'chelle for choosing to spend her time with Josie in the NICU the way she did. She had no idea if Josie would live or die, and if Josie had died, J'chelle would have felt so guilty over every second she didn't spend with Josie while she was alive. I can't judge her for any decisions she made in that position, because I can't comprehend what it was like.

I can blame her for failing to spend time with her kids once Josie was home. Josie was/is special needs, but J'chelle didn't need to spend all of her time camped in her bedroom with her.

Or spending time with her children before Josie was even conceived!

I am going to say young Ben's family is a more recent covert to extreme fundi ism. Look at the age difference between the older kids and the little ones on mom and dad's lap. Ben is probably old enough to remember the before the crazy started. There is hope for escape from gothardism if Jessa sticks it out with this young man.

I think I read the Mom had a reversal---therefore the age difference. This photo looks kind of weird to me. The looks on their faces...I don't know; just appear as though they were all rushed to pose for this pic! Talk about a "defrauding" outfit-the lady in the background is example A. The expression on the little boy's face seated on the left looks like he knows she's there!!!

I think I read the Mom had a reversal---therefore the age difference. This photo looks kind of weird to me. The looks on their faces...I don't know; just appear as though they were all rushed to pose for this pic! Talk about a "defrauding" outfit-the lady in the background is example A. The expression on the little boy's face seated on the left looks like he knows she's there!!!

I think one possible explanation for the odd facial expressions would be if this was the umpteenth take of the photo.

Also, while I don't find it odd that a photo like this (odd expressions, photobomb) was taken, I do find it odd that it has ended up published -- that suggests to me that all the other 'takes' were even worse!

That dark haired girl on Ben's left looks like she might know a thing or two about defrauding. If she doesn't run for the hills, I hope she corrupts one of the Duggar boys into a fundie lite lifestyle (preferably Joseph, JD's too smug lately).

I can't blame J'chelle for choosing to spend her time with Josie in the NICU the way she did. She had no idea if Josie would live or die, and if Josie had died, J'chelle would have felt so guilty over every second she didn't spend with Josie while she was alive. I can't judge her for any decisions she made in that position, because I can't comprehend what it was like.

I can blame her for failing to spend time with her kids once Josie was home. Josie was/is special needs, but J'chelle didn't need to spend all of her time camped in her bedroom with her.

I have to agree just this once that Michelle did what she thought was right, and I can totally relate to her choice. My kids were 10 months apart, and my daughter was in the NICU for one day short of a month. Her heart kept stopping and she would quit breathing, which the nurses told me is not uncommon for preemies like she was. Little Oz 1 was just a baby too, and I knew he needed me, but I was terrified that something would happen to my little girl and I wouldn't be there. The mommy guilt was unbelievable. When I was with her, I felt like I should be with him, and vice versa. Just this once, I'm not going to knock Michelle. But it's just this once.

But how to explain Josh's comment? I just don't see him making a comment like that on the facebook page of some random guy just because he has a crush on his sister. These people take this shit too seriously for that, Josh included.

Proof and evidence are not the same thing. I'd say the evidence Jessa has some sort of relationship with this young man is fairly strong. Although I agree the "burden" comment is too non-specific to count as evidence.

Agreed. I also did some poking around Ben's family member's FB pages and it appears that Smuggar is friends with many of them. So, there is some "there" there. His sense of humor is calibrated in such a way that I don't think he'd ever make a comment like that without some basis in fact, ie. need of a chaperone.

I don't blame J'Chelle for spending all of her time with Josie when she was in the NICU. I do blame her for using Josie's illness as a way to exploit her, and make her seem like she's the only person who's ever had a premature baby. You're not, J'Chelle. Preemies are born everyday. If you're so concerned about their welfare, do a March Of Dimes walk. Stop acting like Josie is the poster child of preemie babies, and that it hasn't happened to anyone except you.

I doubt this is a real relationship or a courtship. So Ben got a snapshot at a Duggar event with Jessa. She looks uncomfortable. Ben's relatives' comments don't indicate private or personal knowledge. And Josh may be big brother playing with the guy--'I got my eye on you'--and giving him a bit of Joshie's celebrity attention and glow.

The Duggar Family Blog hasn't picked up this story. They're fed pictures and information by the family and are very reliable sources of family information. Yes, it's possible that a Jessa courtship is secret until the new season begins and the Duggar Family Blog wouldn't betray such a secret, but I'd then think that if a Ben/Jessa courtship is legitimate, Ben Seewald wouldn't post such a picture on his Facebook page. And TLC and the Duggars have never been so tabloid tawdry that they'd tease such a picture 'leak' to increase the viewer audience. They playfully tease within the show's episodes but not externally and certainly not in this ungodly way--unless Jessa is breaking from the fold. But, I think Jessa Blessa isn't likely to break loose anytime soon.

I think it would be pretty depressing to be thinking about marriage at 18, but I know that's the ultimate goal if you're a fundie. I think Ben's dad looks a little like Steve Carell. (And The 40-Year-Old Virgin will soon be a good description for too many of these fundie "children," like Sarah Maxwell and the Arndt son who just turned 33.)

I think that the older girls are content with their life. They have many positive things in their life including their family. They may have resentment over having to raise their siblings. But, I dont think the resentment outweighs all of the positive aspects of their life.

I doubt this is a real relationship or a courtship. So Ben got a snapshot at a Duggar event with Jessa. She looks uncomfortable. Ben's relatives' comments don't indicate private or personal knowledge. And Josh may be big brother playing with the guy--'I got my eye on you'--and giving him a bit of Joshie's celebrity attention and glow.

The Duggar Family Blog hasn't picked up this story. They're fed pictures and information by the family and are very reliable sources of family information. Yes, it's possible that a Jessa courtship is secret until the new season begins and the Duggar Family Blog wouldn't betray such a secret, but I'd then think that if a Ben/Jessa courtship is legitimate, Ben Seewald wouldn't post such a picture on his Facebook page. And TLC and the Duggars have never been so tabloid tawdry that they'd tease such a picture 'leak' to increase the viewer audience. They playfully tease within the show's episodes but not externally and certainly not in this ungodly way--unless Jessa is breaking from the fold. But, I think Jessa Blessa isn't likely to break loose anytime soon.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the tabloid tawdry aspects of TLC and the Duggars, but it's important to keep in mind that many things have been leaked on the internets by friends and family (hi-ya, Famy!) prior to being aired. The vast majority of viewers do not follow the Duggars on the net and so spoilers don't tend to reach them in advance of a particular broadcast. Exceptions of course being things like the People magazine interview Josh and Anna gave earlier this year about the new baby.

I don't think TLC has anything to do with the post, nor do I see anything particularly ungodly about the photo, especially if Jim Bob has already agreed to let him court Jessa. Young Ben is obviously rabidly anti-abortion (or pretending to be rabidly anti-abortion) which is Boob's number one issue and he's got some sort of business going (a business that could easily be a staged "oh, look, he has his own business" kind of business.)

Josh's comment seals it for me. If the young man was fraudulently posting as Jessa's beau and riling up all his aunties, Josh would run to Boob about it, not post a playful comment.

So let's break this down:

-Young fundie guy who lives in Arkansas sets a photo of him side-hugging Jessa as his profile picture on Facebook

-Immediately he is inundated by congratulatory notes from his family (almost like they know more about what's going on than we do...?)

-One of his aunts tells everyone that Jessa is his girlfriend

-Josh Duggar is friends with these people

-Josh posts a jokey 'I'm watching you' comment and says nothing to refute the family's claims that Jessa and this guy are dating

If Jessa and Ben are not in a courtship, either his family are the most excitable people ever or they think it would be a hilarious practical joke to pretend this courtship is happening. Neither option seems to make much sense. That many people can't be completely insane, and fundies take courtship and purity so seriously that I'm sure they wouldn't fake a courtship for the lolz. I especially can't imagine Josh not shooting down the relationship claims if it weren't true.

What are the positive aspects of the Duggars' lives? They have no real education, they have no way to meet friends, except for at Gothard conferences, and Journey To The Heart. Smugger works for a hate group. This family is full of negative things. I wish TLC would show the Duggars for what they are. People who strongly dislike anyone who doesn't follow their cookie cutter mold way of life. If the fans aren't allowed to post pics of events, Smugger and Famy should be banned from doing it too.

I think it would be pretty depressing to be thinking about marriage at 18, but I know that's the ultimate goal if you're a fundie. I think Ben's dad looks a little like Steve Carell. (And The 40-Year-Old Virgin will soon be a good description for too many of these fundie "children," like Sarah Maxwell and the Arndt son who just turned 33.)

Have to say there's quite a contrast amongst fundies. You have kids getting married at 18 (that Taylor guy, possibly Ben and a number of fundie young women) and then those who are pushing 40 year old virgin status like Sarah Maxwell, Paul Arndt and the Botkinettes will be getting into that territory real soon.

Anna's picture of her being pregnant with her 3rd child was posted on Facebook. Though, they did not official announce it on Today Show. Therefore, it is likely she is in a courtship. It possible that they knew Ben for awhile and now allowing a posting of a pic. I am sure Jimbob is not ignorant of the power of the internet and social media from people, like the Bates who use it to share their lives.

It is possible that announcing Erin's courtship has created enough buzz to make Jimbob wonder what would happen if a pic is posted of one of his daughters. At the end of the day, Jimbob is a businessman and he sees his show as a ministry...I mean business.

I guess we'll have to see. That's right! The pregnancy pic did leak on FB before the official Today Show announcement. I'm sure that Boob and Mullet have done their research on this guy and his family. I wish Jessa the best. She's definitely over being a sister-mom.

What are the positive aspects of the Duggars' lives? They have no real education, they have no way to meet friends, except for at Gothard conferences, and Journey To The Heart. Smugger works for a hate group. This family is full of negative things. I wish TLC would show the Duggars for what they are. People who strongly dislike anyone who doesn't follow their cookie cutter mold way of life. If the fans aren't allowed to post pics of events, Smugger and Famy should be banned from doing it too.

I have never found the family particularly positive even as people would gush over how close, how godly, how wonderful this family is. Even from the get-go I found them rather creepy. I pay some attention via this site just to see if eventually people will figure out what they are really about.

As far as for TLC showing them for what they are, there's been a number of instances where they appear to be thrown under the bus.

ETA: To clarify, when I mention people figuring what they are about, it's the fanbase / public at large, not here at FJ.

I think it's also possible (and I'm not saying this to be snarky, I'm actually genuinely not sure) that the Duggars are not as powerful as people assume. There's this idea that Jim Bob has complete control over the lives of his family, extended family, and anyone who might be connected to them. Maybe Ben didn't bother to ask if he could post the picture. Or maybe the Duggars don't care about saving it for the show, or assume no one will notice. Or who knows - maybe the Duggars are starting to resent TLC for some reason and leaking pictures of Anna's pregnancy and Jessa's courtship are their way of sticking it to the network. Not saying any of this is true, just pure speculation, especially on the last bit.

I was holding out hope Jessa and Lawson Bates would run away together and give their families the finger. :whistle:

Unfortunately, I think if this courtship IS true, we won't know for a while...like when TLC can milk it in a 2 hour-long engagement season finale.

I think it's also possible (and I'm not saying this to be snarky, I'm actually genuinely not sure) that the Duggars are not as powerful as people assume. There's this idea that Jim Bob has complete control over the lives of his family, extended family, and anyone who might be connected to them. Maybe Ben didn't bother to ask if he could post the picture. Or maybe the Duggars don't care about saving it for the show, or assume no one will notice. Or who knows - maybe the Duggars are starting to resent TLC for some reason and leaking pictures of Anna's pregnancy and Jessa's courtship are their way of sticking it to the network. Not saying any of this is true, just pure speculation, especially on the last bit.

I think that increasing loss of media control is probably universal with any celebrity. Or even just everyday people. virtually everyone over the age of 10 is now walking around with a camera that will instantly connect to the entire world through social media within 2 seconds. That's a very different world than just a few years ago before Facebook, twitter, Instagram and when a phone was just something you made calls on.

It is possible that announcing Erin's courtship has created enough buzz to make Jimbob wonder what would happen if a pic is posted of one of his daughters. At the end of the day, Jimbob is a businessman and he sees his show as a ministry...I mean business.

I know I'm a horrible cynic when it comes to the Duggars, especially Boob, so do make an effort not knee jerk, but you are right about him being a businessman first and 19 Kids and Counting IS his business. It's where he's making his money, and he's shrewd enough to time a courtship to drag the show out another couple of seasons. I don't think he had anything to do with the photo posting, but he probably doesn't object to it.

I always figured he'd marry Jessa off first. She's feisty, doesn't appear to be particularly interested in raising Jordyn, and is probably bored out of her skull living on the compound at almost 21. And she's probably the one the fundie boys find most physically attractive.

I hope it works out well for her, but I don't give it very good odds. As it's probably still an early courtship there is still time for her cut it off if it isn't working out, but I fear the show and all that goes with it might propel something forward that shouldn't go forward.

I predict that this season will be incredibly boring, probably culminating in Erin's wedding and then, ta-da! Jessa is engaged! Then that will give them another season.

If he wasn't courting Jessa. He wouldn't have his arm around her and his head touching hers. I doubt Jessa would allow it unless he was a close relative.

I think the girls have hugged male fans before. All of the other evidence points to a courtship.

Apparently, there is a comment on Amy Duggar's instagram congratulating Jessa and Ben on their engagement. I can't access her page, so I haven't seen the comment.

Archived