IGNORED

Fix the Family: 6 Reasons Not to Send Your Daughter To Colle

mrs

By "catholic website" do we mean Catholic as in has the official backing of the US Catholic Church, or Catholic as in was put up by a knuckle dragger who identifies as Catholic? Because there is a big difference, and I have a hard time believing that an institution that has founded and maintained so many top notch universities on US soil suddenly is discouraging women from attending. I didn't actually go look because I am pretty much full up on men who are terrified of women and who hide behind religion. :evil-eye:

The second.

But, don't you know, anything any Catholic person ever says automatically reflects the doctrine of the whole church. And if it is a priest that goes double. I once mentioned to someone that our parish priest hates fried food and the person I was talking to was appalled that there may be no more church fish fries ever anywhere in the world. Because I am rather sarcastic and I didn't want to deal with it, I told her that would only happen when he is elected pope which would probably be at the next conclave.

Except he wasn't. So I guess fish fries are safe for now.

What the hell is this tripe? Are these a bunch of crazy Vatican 2 deniers who want to go back to headcoverings, communion rails and Latin mass? As a college-educated Catholic, I'm completely offended by this entry.

Don't let it bother you. They have a store and a donate button. It's just another crazy looking for a way to make money.

So while traveling the tumblr realm i came across a post that linked to this article on Jezebel. http://jezebel.com/creepy-catholic-website-explains-why-women-shouldnt-go-1297432590

having read it and then checked out the site it sources I am unfortunately reminded of the Botkin sisters. I had thought this thinking was mainly fundamentalist christian...apparently its crossing boarders? Scary in any case :o

Just wondering if anyone else had come across something similar...as an anthro student its interesting to some extent that its taken it this long to spread but at the same time i would have thought the whole 'protestants are ebil' thing traditional catholics have would have prevented it.... :shifty-kitty:

So while traveling the tumblr realm i came across a post that linked to this article on Jezebel. http://jezebel.com/creepy-catholic-website-explains-why-women-shouldnt-go-1297432590

having read it and then checked out the site it sources I am unfortunately reminded of the Botkin sisters. I had thought this thinking was mainly fundamentalist christian...apparently its crossing boarders? Scary in any case :o

Just wondering if anyone else had come across something similar...as an anthro student its interesting to some extent that its taken it this long to spread but at the same time i would have thought the whole 'protestants are ebil' thing traditional catholics have would have prevented it.... :shifty-kitty:

I hear even moderate Catholics spouting paranoid fundagelical stuff ("our world is hostile to Christianity" was proclaimed by a parent at a confirmation meeting on Weds) now. A lot of it comes from them listening to CCM, reading material from evangelical publishers and stumbling on Christian radio. They also tend to not really understand that evangelicals think we are going to hell. The thought process seems to be that if they talk about Jesus, they must be okay.

My husband loves that I have a college degree and an a good job. He fell in love with who I am and part of who I am was shaped while at college. Not to mention the fact that he is currently going to school full time to earn his degree so that he is not stuck in a dead end job for the rest of his life. None of it would be possible if I wasn't able to generate enough income to sustain our household. He gets to follow his dream because I was able to follow mine. He also stays home with our son during the day while I work. So, he gets a unique bonding experience with his child that most fathers aren't lucky enough to get. Again, this is only possible because I am college educated. My job, which I only qualify for due to my college education, also provides terrific insurance that has kept us out of debt despite my son's multiple health issues. Nothing anyone says can convince me that obtaining a college education is bad or even a waste of time for anyone, women included. My education as more than paid for itself.

I hear even moderate Catholics spouting paranoid fundagelical stuff ("our world is hostile to Christianity" was proclaimed by a parent at a confirmation meeting on Weds) now. A lot of it comes from them listening to CCM, reading material from evangelical publishers and stumbling on Christian radio. They also tend to not really understand that evangelicals think we are going to hell. The thought process seems to be that if they talk about Jesus, they must be okay.

Speaking from what I have seen specifically in Greek Orthodox churches in NJ/NY. There seems to be a certain amount of for lack of a better word...envy...by our leadership of the obedience shown by evangelical flocks. Every once in a while you'll get a GO priest waxing lyrical about how evangelical Protestants are willing to go to church several times a week for Bible studies, youth groups, this group, that group, and our congregations complain about once a week Greek school, which isn't even theological in nature. Over a decade ago the GO church attempted to implement a program of "stewardship", which was essentially the 10% tithing that evangelicals do. We about rioted in the pews, reminded the hierarchy that we were NOT fundies, that we were a people who firmly believed that reaching into wallets was grounds for war, and they had to withdrawn the program and beat a retreat. Our hierarchy believes that evangelicals are theologically cracked, but at the same time wishes it could get us to pay, pray, and OBEY.

I think this is a pretty small minority in the church. I have plenty of things I don't like about the Catholic church, but one of the things I think they do right is education, and I am the proud graduate of a Jesuit university.

You are always going to have a couple assholes who go against the grain. Just as there are a few fundies who do allow their kids to go to college, there are a few Catholics who are ass backwards in their thinking. But I agree with whoever said I doubt the hierarchy would promote +50% of their university students dropping out of school.

Nevertheless, this is fucked up thinking. I can never understand why anyone would not want to equip their daughters to be able to deal with the real world. Even if she does marry and has kids...if something happens to the husband and they lose his income, she is fucked. Why would you want to screw over your daughter and grandchildren's chances of thriving? :angry-banghead:

She will not learn to be a wife and mother.

How does one learn to be a wife and mother without, you know, actually being one? Or do they consider that learning how to cook and clean means that you know how to be one?

Well I have to say, do you know what made me actively cook (and clean, although I did that before)? Going to college! Having absolutely no one do your work for you has a way of making you learn how to properly take care of yourself. So I guess I'm prepared to be "a wife and mother" (by their definition) while also having a degree and a nice job. I win!

She will attract the wrong types of men

Like men who have a college degree and are more likely to have a good job because of it? So they can afford the nice, large family they are supposed to have? So they can afford to send their daughters to college later on?

As to their definition of lazy men, how about those men that expect their wives to take care of all the child rearing, cleaning, cooking and all other household chores? Isn't that lazy also? And still it's what they view as normal.

She will be in a near occasion of sin

Oh please. A walk to the park could be a near occasion of sin. I guess they are all deep down inside really, really afraid they did a shitty job as parents if they can't have the least amount of trust in their children. And they are shitty parents, but "sin" isn't the reason why!

The cost of a degree is becoming more difficult to recoup

Well, so is diapering, feeding, cleaning and housing a bucketful of children, but this doesn't seem to be a deterrent.

You don’t have to prove anything to the world

No, you don't. But God might get pissed that you don't let your daughter use the "gifts" that he gave her because you know better. And yes, I know they talk about this and that for them the only talents of a woman have to do with being a homemaker, but what if maybe, just maybe, go with me here I know it's a long shot, what if God has a different plan?

It could be a near occasion of sin for the parents

Oh NO! The parents might stop having sex so often or abstain at fertile times! How will they ever survive?! If they don't have sex the women might not be "in a dreamy state" and see that their husbands are assholes!

She will regret it.

Oh, the irony! All the reasons for regret that they give have nothing to do with going to college, but rather to being forced into a role to which those women don't belong, to trying to conform to what they are told is right and that will bring them happiness and discovering that it's not for them. Kind of like what they are trying to do to their daughters.

It could interfere with a religious vocation

Well, being married and having children might also interfere with becoming a nun.

:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Well, plenty of women end up going to college and beyond and end up discerning a religious vocation, but I guess those are the wrong kind of nuns (cough*liberals*)...

That "It could interfere with a religious vocation" just slays me. Almost all the nuns I have met are college educated, and we are not talking about Fundie U here. They pretty much embody the idea of "lifelong learning".

The more I ponder these "let's not educate the girls" kinds of posts, and the SAHD, and the whole Courtship between Eddie and Father to marry Suzie, I wonder how low these dad's self esteem must be? They are afraid their daugthers will do better than they did and they seem to worry that their daughters will marry someone the father can't control.

How little power must these men have in their real lives that they have to be dictator for life in the lives of their daughters?

I think the Catholic families adopting this garbage will have even more difficulty finding "worthy" spouses for their children than the fundie ones do. So there is that.

There is a family that sporadically attends my parish that is likely pursuing this. They have five kids--one boy and four girls. The girls and mother wear matching prairie dresses to mass and no make-up. The kids are homeschooled (including for religious ed) and the girls are not allowed anywhere without a chaperone. It is our best guess that the reason we do not always see them in church is because they travel to a parish about 30 miles from here that has traditional Latin mass. When they do attend, it is not uncommon see the father/patriarch explaining to the priest after mass that he or other parishioners did something wrong.

Archived