IGNORED

don't let your daughter play with stuffed animals...

CrazyCatLady

Just when I think Catholics can't get any more weird. I grew up playing with GI Joes and Johnny Wests. Despite this I didn't join the army or become a cowgirl. Of course, I did have some stuffed animals and don't have any kids so maybe they have a point. :doh: But, since I'm not married, I would suspect they would be happy I'm not a single parent.

Please don't paint all Catholics with the same brush. The vast majority are common-sensical, middle-of-the-road people. Only the crazies get the publicity. The thing is, nowadays people who have said "Enough!" to the church's hierarchy and sexism can vote with their feet and face little or no negative consequences. (I'm a case in point.) My still-Catholic friends and relatives would listen to this ridiculous broadcast and go "Pfft."

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't care for either stuffed animals or baby dolls. I mangled and tortured Barbie dolls.

Today I am a pet-less, childless serial killer. Totally proof the caller was RIGHT! (But I will hunt him down anyway.)

Please don't paint all Catholics with the same brush. The vast majority are common-sensical, middle-of-the-road people. Only the crazies get the publicity. The thing is, nowadays people who have said "Enough!" to the church's hierarchy and sexism can vote with their feet and face little or no negative consequences. (I'm a case in point.) My still-Catholic friends and relatives would listen to this ridiculous broadcast and go "Pfft."

This. As devoutly Catholic as my grandpa was, even he would have said that religious broadcast was out of line. He was one of those who gave us grandchildren stuffed animals as gifts for birthdays and Christmas. My grandpa was one of those Catholics who tried to go to mass every day, not just on Sundays or on Holy Week, yet once my dad and uncles were out of the house, he didn't push the church on them.

As for those giant microbe things, I personally want the plague one, as well as the beer and bread yeast.

As raised catholic, I have to heavily agree.

My parents are active Catholics and so is a large part of my extended family. but I have never heared such a bullcrap as the stuffed animal thing. Franz von Assisi or Noah and his Ark are heavily encouraged in early religious education.

My homecountry has a significant catholic tradition and it´s quite omnipresent, from the monasteries, the highest number of saint-realted holidays to crosses in public schools or the newest christian-themed idiot spread in the FPÖs election posters with Strache (wo is an austrian tool) claiming "he brings us love" (yes, that´s a accurate translation and no, I don´t think he gets the Simpsons pun) and showing himself in Messias poses up all the way to Opus Dei .

NONETHELESS when a mother (she was a foreigner, but really couldn´t recall from where) at a Jungschar (which is a catholic youth group) - organized info evening about a planned tour to a famous Perchtenlauf claimed, this "was pagan and therefor should be banned, she will not let her child got with us and if we are even real Catholics, blahblablah" the whole room including the priest looked at her in a way, that could be best described as "Bitch, u nuts?!" :lol:

On the other hand again, there are national cases about horrible child abuse. So, go figure...

I have a stuffed turkey vulture named Dolores (Spanish for "sorrows"). There are pictures of her atop the Continental Divide...

This is awesome! I have had a cheetah for ages that is named Kali - which is Arabic or another Middle Eastern language (too long ago to remember) for antelope. :lol:

Yeah, well, our family toybox includes a plush bat. Stellaluna is her name, and she came with a book about being different and fitting in. ;)

LOL....hated baby dolls, barbies, anything like that growing up and loved my stuffed animals! I have 3 kids, currently knocked up with #4 after a 10 year break. :D I still love animals too.

Though tbh I'm glad that this was about encouraging wanting babies! I was afraid that some blogger was going to say that playing with stuffed animals would make you into bestiality or something. :/

Hell, I have a stuffed hammerhead shark named Hammie that sits on my bed NOW.

Stuffed animals rule. They are good for the soul.

I am glad I'm not the only one who thinks stuffed animals are good for adults, too :) I have a whole dresser covered in them. My husband pretends to hate it, but then he goes and buys me more, so...

Though tbh I'm glad that this was about encouraging wanting babies! I was afraid that some blogger was going to say that playing with stuffed animals would make you into bestiality or something. :/

Haha, me too!

I was(/am) pretty equally into stuffed animals and dolls. Only Barbie and American Girl type dolls though... I never liked baby dolls. I don't really like real babies either, so maybe she's right there lol :?

ETA: I might want to have kids though but not for awhile, I need to finish school first.

I don't think that I any of the Duggars have stuffed animals, only baby dolls. Makes me wonder if that agree with that statement.

I don't think that I any of the Duggars have stuffed animals, only baby dolls. Makes me wonder if that agree with that statement.

I'm not an avid watcher, but i don't recall seeing any of the littles with stuff animals either; only baby dolls.

I'm not an avid watcher, but i don't recall seeing any of the littles with stuff animals either; only baby dolls.

That's said that they probably don't have stuffed animals. I loved them growing up prefer them to dolls like many of the posters have said.

I am glad I'm not the only one who thinks stuffed animals are good for adults, too :) I have a whole dresser covered in them. My husband pretends to hate it, but then he goes and buys me more, so...

I love stuffed animals. I am completely unapologetic about it. I slept with one until I got my chihuahuas. When I was in the hospital, I said go ahead and make fun of me, I do not care. My first nurse said, don't worry lots of adults do it :) (I still take one to the hospital since they won't let me bring my chihuahua for some reason).

My husband usually gets me a build a bear of some kind for my birthday or xmas.

I love stuffed animals. I am completely unapologetic about it. I slept with one until I got my chihuahuas. When I was in the hospital, I said go ahead and make fun of me, I do not care. My first nurse said, don't worry lots of adults do it :) (I still take one to the hospital since they won't let me bring my chihuahua for some reason).

The last time I stayed in the hospital I had a stuffed animal and I had to get an MRI. I was upset b/c I was late getting my pain meds or something so the techs offered to run him through a machine to check if he could get the MRI with me, lol. I was 20. :lol:

:o I want one of those!!!

If I had another one I'd send it to you, truly. He's so adorable - mint green with rounded stego plates in pastels. And his head sways back and forth to the music. His name is Spike. My son is saving him for his first child someday. :D

I will never, ever give them up.

Hammie has been known to hang out with a small stuffed orange tabby cat, and Raggedy Ann.

I'm looking for just the right stuffed Great White shark, the ones I've seen to date are too cartoony looking. And I've always wanted a giant stuffed Plankton, from SpongeBob. (I will destroy you all!!!...)

*tiptoes out of the stuffed animal closet*

I have a stuffed Careta careta (sea turtle of Zakynthos) named Archimedes who is older than dirt and has followed me to college, apartments, and has an honored place in my primary bookcase in front of the collection of Asterix comics. :shifty:

*tiptoes out of the stuffed animal closet*

I have a stuffed Careta careta (sea turtle of Zakynthos) named Archimedes who is older than dirt and has followed me to college, apartments, and has an honored place in my primary bookcase in front of the collection of Asterix comics. :shifty:

I have Elmo who has been everywhere with me. I have pictures of him in front of the Notre Dame cathedral and the Pantheon. He's been replaced many times and my mom used to tell me it was his birthday and he got new fur, to convince me it was the same one. She even made a birthday cake every time this happened (and she still sends him birthday cards on his official birthday haha).

I have so many stuffed animals and sub-collections... :embarrassed: My parents use my themed stuffed animals to decorate for Halloween and Christmas. They are on permanent loan until I actually have room for them lol. (ETA: One of my largest collections is penguins. The Arndts would probably think they were in heaven :lol: )

I have a stuffed frog that I got the day I was born (he was for sale in the hospital gift shop). I guess that explains why I don't have any kids.

I have a snoopy stuffed animal. I still sleep w/ him. He went w/ me to college & everything. I can sleep w/ out him but I prefer not to. My mother said if I ever get married he will be part of my flower bouquet.

So I got a stuffed dog named Squashy when my sister was born. He's colored like a relic from the set of Miami Vice and I still keep him on my bed. I had a couple of dolls too but my friend and I only played morbid games like "escape from 19th century orphanage" and "survivalists on a deserted island" with them. Never "house" because that shit is boring.

AM I RUINED???

Your childhood sounds exactly like my childhood! My sister and I also played the orphanage game and the deserted island one too (we even built a raft, but it didn't float so well). We also made tree forts and stone "houses." I'm pretty sure our games were influenced by our favorite books - the Wolves of Willoughby Chase, Roxaboxen, Little House on the Prairie, Pippi Longstocking, etc. etc. I tried playing house a few times with some of my friends but hated it.

I was recently talking to one of my best friends and lamenting the fact that I'd never been to Build-A-Bear but really wanted to go. Turns out, she was thinking the same thing - now we're planning a field trip to one of their stores and I'm so freaking excited about it.

If I had another one I'd send it to you, truly. He's so adorable - mint green with rounded stego plates in pastels. And his head sways back and forth to the music. His name is Spike. My son is saving him for his first child someday. :D

Awww thanx!! :)

He sounds like a keeper, that's for sure!!

Archived