IGNORED

don't let your daughter play with stuffed animals...

CrazyCatLady

I occasionally listen to Catholic radio when i can't find anything else on the dial (i'm Protestant btw). I was on my way home from the gym last weekend and the station was playing a show i'd never heard before. It's called The Good Fight and it's hosted by a super Catholic woman named Barbara McGuigan, who has a voice that is almost worse that Michelle Duggar's...

Anyway--She was talking with her guest (not sure who he was) about how because of birth control and abortion, women are now choosing not to have kids because kids are expensive, take away your freedom, and ultimately because women are super super selfish and also sluts. During this discussion of how soon there will be no Catholics left because of contraception, a man called in and said that he believes it is wrong for parents to buy their daughter stuffed animals. His reasoning was that if you buy your daughter stuffed animals she will grow up to ONLY love animals and choose to never have children. It is IMPORTANT that you buy your daughter DOLLS! Lots of BABY DOLLS ok???? The best part? This host woman totally agreed with him!

So, i thought all of you ought to be informed. You're welcome

PS: this is the show's website ewtn.com/radio/weekend/thegoodfight.asp and i've had no luck finding a transcript or copy of the show...probably not much of a demand.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had many stuffed animals and no baby dolls at all, and I grew up to love babies and not care much for animals...

I'll have to tell my three daughters who each had lots of stuffed animals that they shouldn't want to have kids now. Oops, too late! They each have one child. They may have more, but they do want to space their kids out. In my oldest daughter's case, they want to wait until their daughter is old enough to enjoy a trip to China since they'll be adopting from there again.

Although I had a homemade cabbage patch doll, a Barbie and Ken set and a Rainbow Brite doll when I was little I preferred stuffed animals, especially smurfs because I loved the cartoon. Hell I even still have my stuffed smurfs packed away in a trunk along with my pound puppy. And yes I admit I never wanted kids but that had nothing to do with the toys I had growing up.

So I got a stuffed dog named Squashy when my sister was born. He's colored like a relic from the set of Miami Vice and I still keep him on my bed. I had a couple of dolls too but my friend and I only played morbid games like "escape from 19th century orphanage" and "survivalists on a deserted island" with them. Never "house" because that shit is boring.

AM I RUINED???

Well, it explains the rise of the bear-lady. You know, women who had teddy bears as kids and now their houses are full of huge live bears and they can't find husbands and they just sit home and cuddle their bears all day.

Uh-oh. I have made myself personally responsible for making sure my niece has the most varied and exotic stuffed animal collection ever. She's 16 months and already has a realistic cheetah, giraffe, elephant, snow leopard and tonight got a black-footed penguin. She'll also be getting a rhino soon. I'm hoping that I can influence her to care about these animals and their environments. And based on her reaction and fascination with the animals at the Zoo when we went there for my birthday two months ago, she is already an animal lover. :shock:

She does have a baby doll my mom got her and I found an American Girl doll for her at an insane estate/garage sale that I am saving for when she gets older. *whew* maybe she'll have babies after all. But having people who care about conservation will ensure that there is an earth for her to raise her babies on! So forget baby dolls, we must BUY ALL THE STUFFED ANIMALS!

Uh-oh. I have made myself personally responsible for making sure my niece has the most varied and exotic stuffed animal collection ever. She's 16 months and already has a realistic cheetah, giraffe, elephant, snow leopard and tonight got a black-footed penguin. She'll also be getting a rhino soon. I'm hoping that I can influence her to care about these animals and their environments. And based on her reaction and fascination with the animals at the Zoo when we went there for my birthday two months ago, she is already an animal lover. :shock:

She does have a baby doll my mom got her and I found an American Girl doll for her at an insane estate/garage sale that I am saving for when she gets older. *whew* maybe she'll have babies after all. But having people who care about conservation will ensure that there is an earth for her to raise her babies on! So forget baby dolls, we must BUY ALL THE STUFFED ANIMALS!

I have a stuffed turkey vulture named Dolores (Spanish for "sorrows"). There are pictures of her atop the Continental Divide...

I loved baby dolls above all other toys when I was a child. I'm married and childless.

Stuffed animals and dolls were just fine, but I would rather have played with Lincoln logs, any musical instrument, or modeling clay as a child than either. I did not become an architect or realtor, I don't play any instruments anymore, and I'm not a sculptor.

(Books, which I liked best, are in fact now sort of my day job.)

Oh, and I keep getting my brother and SIL's kids giant microbe toys. That does not mean that they will grow up to be strep throat bacteria, or even yogurt.

Oh, and I keep getting my brother and SIL's kids giant microbe toys. That does not mean that they will grow up to be strep throat bacteria, or even yogurt.

My daughter bought the heart worm and proudly announces that she has heart worm to anyone who will listen.

My daughter bought the heart worm and proudly announces that she has heart worm to anyone who will listen.

Awesome! My mom got me the MRSA toy, which comes with a little cape that says something like "Superbug!"

I only had stuffed animals when I was a kid, I was never really interested in dolls except for a few months when I was about 6, and I would love to have a large family.

I have chlamydia and herpes (the toy ones anyway)

Huh, my daughter has more stuffed animals than Build A Bear workshop. Every time I clear some out she somehow ends up with new ones. She wants kids and also wants to be a midwife. Guess that blows his theory out the window then.

Well, it explains the rise of the bear-lady. You know, women who had teddy bears as kids and now their houses are full of huge live bears and they can't find husbands and they just sit home and cuddle their bears all day.

It's hard to find a godly husband, when you're shoveling bear crap all day.

I might ask my husband for the plague for my birthday ;)

(there is something you never hear in polite conversation 8-) )

The Catholic church is dying out, at least in rich, free countries where there money comes from but they also have less power to become an official state religion. But it's not dying out because women use birth control. It's dying because of decades of child abuse and cover up, backwards social beliefs, discrimination, and silencing of most members who disagree with the official church stances. The church leaders are completely out of touch with the church members, and so members are leaving at a very fast rate. Even if each Catholic woman in the U.S. had a dozen kids, most of them wouldn't turn out Catholic because they have the legal freedom to leave, unlike in some countries. The church is pushing people away.

Just when I think Catholics can't get any more weird. I grew up playing with GI Joes and Johnny Wests. Despite this I didn't join the army or become a cowgirl. Of course, I did have some stuffed animals and don't have any kids so maybe they have a point. :doh: But, since I'm not married, I would suspect they would be happy I'm not a single parent.

I played with ONLY stuffed animals growing up, because dolls gave me the creeps. I have four teenagers who all still have stuffed animals - my 19yo son keeps his pastel stegosaurus that plays "you are my sunshine" on the end of his bed, it was bought for him the day he was born. 17yo son keeps several on his bed, including a bear that was mine growing up and a dog I got him when he was lying in the PICU with a heart infection several years ago. My daughters do have some dolls (3 American Girls, a couple of babies and some Waldorf dolls), but mostly stuffed animals. LOTS of Hello Kitty.

Hell, I have a stuffed hammerhead shark named Hammie that sits on my bed NOW.

Stuffed animals rule. They are good for the soul.

This is not official Catholic doctrine. None of it. The catechism does not order us to ban stuffed animals.

The church does not teach quiverful at all and says couples may choose to space children for "just reasons". Most priests will tell you this includes not having children you cannot adequately support.

Everything that you hear on EWTN television or radio must be taken with entire shakers of salt. They are the right wing, only beaten in the endeavor to live in the 19th C. by the rad trads who want to erase Vatican II and have mass in Latin.

Archived