IGNORED

The "good person" test-good enough for Heaven? I did it

allyisyourpally5

So after reading the Maxwell thread I looked up Chistophers photography website, and he has the dreaded Good Person test link at the bottom. So I decided to take it and see.

Well, I'm not good enough for heaven apparently.

The fact that I have given money to charity and go to church regularly and believe in Jesus is not enough because I have broken commandments. My good deeds are nothing. Yep, it says that: these things don't impress god and can never make up for breaking his commandments (hands up who has never lied or never stolen? I've stolen candy, I've stolen stuff from my siblings....it's not like I robbed a bank or a store or anyone else)

It then asks you where you think you are going and tells you if you are right or wrong. Apparently I'm going to Hell because my sins cannot be made up for. Wo came up with this? It really blows my mind that these conservative Christians have ignored the part of their faith that makes them Christian....that Jesus dies and rose again so that all who believe in him can repent and be saved....that's the part that makes a Christian a Christian rather than Jewish or Muslim or whatever....you can be forgiven if you believe is the core belief at the bottom of it all!!! Just gives me one other reason to despise the maxwell family for promoting this.

BTW I am not trying to start a debate or anything like that (some readers may agree) I was just curious to see what others have thought of it or if you've tried it (for sinful fun)

I took it just recently and just for fun I answered as if I'd never, ever done anything wrong. I was curious to see what it would say.

Well it turns out I'm *still* going to hell because the bible says everyone has put something ahead of God in their lives, so obviously I did too. There's no question related to this, they just know everybody's done it.

So, there's no getting away from going to hell in Maxwell land.

I am not a Christian but I did take the test with a firend once for our snarking pleasure.

I think the point is that NOBODY is a good person and that the only way to heaven is through the acceptance of jesus Christ. If you wanted to get into heaven without Jesus, you would have to be a perfect person, who has never sinned . . .and that fits nobody.

It's a way to tell people that even thought they may think they are good, that they, like everyone, has indeed sinned, which angers God . . .so therefore you better repent if you want in.

Again, not a Christian, but I see the intent.

I am not a Christian but I did take the test with a firend once for our snarking pleasure.

I think the point is that NOBODY is a good person and that the only way to heaven is through the acceptance of jesus Christ. If you wanted to get into heaven without Jesus, you would have to be a perfect person, who has never sinned . . .and that fits nobody.

It's a way to tell people that even thought they may think they are good, that they, like everyone, has indeed sinned, which angers God . . .so therefore you better repent if you want in.

It is such a screwed up message, though. It leaves out grace. It leaves no room to say, "yes, I know I am not perfect but I know that God gives grace to the sinner". It leaves two choices: be perfect or go to hell and presents the solution as a mere formula. :angry-banghead:

Totally. What they're asking isn't "are you a good person". It's "are you as good as Jesus, who is without sin." You fail that test 100% of the time.

Remember that fundies think that babies sin as soon as they are born because they cry and that's them "wanting their own way". Never mind that a crying newborn baby is experiencing a completely normal reaction to being wheeched out of their mum's innards and exposed to the cold big world. (In the hymns I sang as a child, the "Little Lord Jesus" didn't cry, thereby proving he was not prey to human sins). :roll:

With a standard like that, it's as if you were asked to polevault 50 feet in the sky and land safely. Ignore these quizzes, as you would ignore someone who handed you a pole and waved vaguely towards the skyline. And then told you your eternal destiny depended on whether you could convince another human being to attempt the jump and succeed.

Totally. What they're asking isn't "are you a good person". It's "are you as good as Jesus, who is without sin." You fail that test 100% of the time.

Remember that fundies think that babies sin as soon as they are born because they cry and that's them "wanting their own way". Never mind that a crying newborn baby is experiencing a completely normal reaction to being wheeched out of their mum's innards and exposed to the cold big world. (In the hymns I sang as a child, the "Little Lord Jesus" didn't cry, thereby proving he was not prey to human sins). :roll:

With a standard like that, it's as if you were asked to polevault 50 feet in the sky and land safely. Ignore these quizzes, as you would ignore someone who handed you a pole and waved vaguely towards the skyline. And then told you your eternal destiny depended on whether you could convince another human being to attempt the jump and succeed.

Jesus killed a fig tree for not producing figs out of season. And don't even get me started on the whole Judas thing.

The problem with this is that it ignores petty "sins" and even go against necessary forms of behavior meant for life and survival. it doesn't understand the difference between a scared child telling a lie for something small, not quite realizing why that's a bad idea or a toddler stealing candy from a store and lying as a form of manipulation and plotting to steal from a store or rob a place. The difference in not realizing any harm could come of an action and knowing that it hurts others in some way, but doing it anyway out of selfishness. The former is part of learned process to teach children that it's unacceptable and why. The latter is "sinful" behavior, negative and dangerous behavior. It misses the real point of what Jesus was trying to say.

It turns mild anger at someone into murder. Being angry at someone, especially for a good reason is normal, not sinful. It's an understandable human reaction. When anger turns into pure hatred, that can be a problem because uncontrolled can turn into dangerous, even murderous intentions. Finding someone attractive is not bad. It's a normal natural reaction. Our goal, like all creatures, is to naturally look for a mate. In general anyway, that's the goal. Find a mate and breed. Not everyone wants this and there's nothing wrong with not wanting a mate or wanted a mate, but not wanting children. In general though, that's what we do. After puberty, when we can reproduce, we begin to look for a suitable mating partner. Physical attraction is part of that. It becomes a problem though when the person is seen as simply an object to use for your satisfaction instead of as a person in their own right. Attraction and lust are different things and lust can turn into a dangerous territory is people don't have control of themselves. It becomes a "sin" at that point when the risk of harming another person comes into play.

Also, it wasn't until the early 17th century that Bibles could even be obtained in human hands and only by those who were literate in that time. Not to mention that church is not a requirement, so regular church attendance doesn't make someone a better person to "god". Fail again, Living Waters, keep failing. Yeah, I know I'm going to hell according to them, but I gave up caring about that petty insult. I have to live on the same planet as nutcases like them, so I'm already there.

The Maxwells are spending this life preparing for the one they believe comes after. What a shock if they turn out to be wrong and all that comes after death is ...... nothing.

I took one of those tests years ago, answering "no" for all of the questions about whether I had ever lied or ever stolen anything. The test eventually told me I was obviously lying and needed god because I was such a liar that I couldn't even tell the truth on the test. hahaha

I took this or a similar test once. All I remember is the quiz asking if I was afraid of hell. I answered "no", and laughed my ass off when the next screen said "you should be" with a list of awful things in hell. does this crap actually sway anyone?

The Maxwells are spending this life preparing for the one they believe comes after. What a shock if they turn out to be wrong and all that comes after death is ...... nothing.

I suspect it won't matter to them,imo,because they have effectively accomplished their goal...they controlled their family and made everyone live exactly the way they wanted them to.

Whoops, when I did it earlier I answered honestly & it told me I was going to hell. Cool, I have my handbasket ready to go, no sweat!

But when I redid the quiz tonite & answered everything the "correct way" it told me this-

It has already been established that you would be guilty of breaking His commandments. Even if you were able to perfectly keep 9 of the commandments for your entire life -- you have broken the first commandment (Question #8). The First of the Ten Commandments is "You shall have no other gods before me." That means that we should love God with all of our heart, mind, soul and strength. The Bible tells us that no one has kept this commandment (see Psalm 14:2-3).

I believe in a monotheistic god, but I guess it's not enough. I assume my idols of diet soda & FJ have ruined me:(

Archived