IGNORED

Lori's FB friends teach us how to make it on one income

Fundies are attempting to emulate a lifestyle that has gone out style at the end of the 19th century. The only way they can afford to live on a single income while having a boatload of kids and supporting themselves with a subpar education is to live in cheap areas and reeeeally stretch their income.

Honestly, I'm not sure I'd be happy having to stretch my budget with homemade shampoo and excessive coupon clipping. I'm sure some people like to do that. For me, I'd rather find a job that I enjoy and make money so I can buy stuff when I need it, when I want it. Then again, it's a lifestyle choice to do the "back to nature" stuff.

OTOH, we live in one of the wealthiest nation on earth, why should we purposely try to in such economically striated circumstances? If I can make my life better, why should I try to make it harder? This is why I dislike the fundie movement so much. They are so fixated on having kids and keeping submissive wives that they lower their quality of life to accomplish this. The rest of the world scramble to enter a developed world standard of living while fundies try to go backwards. The world would be better off trading them in for some hard working third worlders who appreciate the educational and career opportunities offered in American society (and Lori would probably be happier living in a country which "keeps women in their place").

Money saving tips:

• 1. Do not allow the children to eat messy foods or play sports. Cuts down on laundry, baths, and cleanup!

• 2. Train your children to poop every third day. Saves toilet paper and provides more time in the prayer closet and less time in the water closet.

• 3. To maximize sleeping space, ask your county morgue to help you create your own slide-out sleeping chamber system. You can stack 20 kids in your garage that way!

• 4. Stop foolishly wasting money on heat in the winter. Be warmed by God. Pray till you are toasty with the Spirit, and make Snuggies for the whole family out of thrift-store blankets.

• 5. Who needs air conditioning? Teach your youngest female blessings the fun of fanning their headships. Keeps you cool and teaches them obeisance early!

• 6. Dinner time is necessary, but keep it modest. Hungry children are more obedient. A dab of Mac and cheese, a few canned green beans, and half a canned pear is more than enough for you and your blessings (save the steak for Dad, he needs it for his manly endeavors)

• 7. Forbid older daughters to menstruate. Saves money on supplies and keeps them pure!

Meh, it doesn't matter if some families have to have a second income. Some families just want to. In many families both parents want to have a paying career because they are fulfilled by it. I'm so tired of this hand-wringing that mothers have to justify this by claiming that they really truly don't want to but they have to. It's fine to just want to, and it's fine to not want to. And that applies to fathers as well as mothers.

However, I can think of a situation where one income is a necessity - single parents. But most of these tips don't account for something like that.

Sell your children's kidneys and any extra organs. As long as they have enough to live, they will be fine, their only worth is in their reproductive organs.

Archived