IGNORED

Denominations?

fundies_like_zombies

how do the American denominations match the English ones?

in terms of beliefs and rules and stuff.

over here we have Methodists, Catholics, JWs and Church of England people and prob some i forgot!

are there matching ones to Baptists, Pentecostals, those Charismatic? ones and others?

Well, we have methodists, catholic, JWs, and Lutherans. Lutherans are split into multiple denominations, but yes, then we have the baptists and Pentecostals. All have their one spin on things.

there don't seem to be equivalents to say the Lakewood church or the sort of personality preachers.

There are literally hundreds (if not thousands) of Christian denominations here in the United States. Catholicism is the largest, followed by Baptists. There are different types of Baptists, ranging from Reformed (i.e., Calvinistic) to Southern to Independent. Then, of course, you have Eastern Orthodox, Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, Episcopalians, Congregationalists, non-denominational Christians, Pentecostals, Assemblies of God, and many more (including their variations).

Guest Anonymous

I'll add some - Mormons (LDS, FLDS etc) Seventh Day Adventists, Christadelphians, Eastern Rights Catholics (Ukrainian), Copts, Unitarian/Universalists, Quakers, Mennonites, Hutterites, Dutch Reformed......on and on and on

I just wanted to point out something because I'm nit picky. Anglicanism (Church of England) and Episcopalian aren't exactly the same. Theologically yes, but the Episcopal Church was a result of the revolution. The reigning monarch is not head of the Episcopal church because that would be a bit of a conflict of interest in a Republican nation.

I think Methodists in England are a bit more liturgical than Methodists in the US. Our congregations are pretty free to choose how they will structure (or not) their worship services.

As I understand it, Methodists historically were an offshoot of Anglicanism by an Anglican priest who was dissatisfied with the established church so he formed his own group. It's more structured than American Methodism but has a reputation for being fire and brimstoney. It was popular amongst working class people and in rural areas, especially in the 19th century and believed strongly in temperance. I'm not sure where they stand on the issue currently. I know Methodism and Nonconformists were also especially popular amongst the Welsh people because of their sort of anti-establishment feeling.

Archived