IGNORED

Burden to Burundi, Zealous for Zambia

Palimpsest

I've always thought

Well, that puts you head and shoulders about Shrader and those other fundie missionaries :roll:

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no desire to follow the Shraders outside this thread- which I find immensely interesting - but I was wondering if someone could fill me in on John's family background. I could not locate anything much in the archives. Thanks!

I have no desire to follow the Shraders outside this thread- which I find immensely interesting - but I was wondering if someone could fill me in on John's family background. I could not locate anything much in the archives. Thanks!

His dad is a Baptist minister. He has 3 brothers and a sister, none of whom are fundy, though I think are all conservative Christian. His sister is currently battling stage 4 (I think) pancreatic cancer. She was diagnosed while pregnant with her first child, tried western medicine for awhile, and is now into more "natural" stuff, like having her fillings removed because they leaked mercury straight from her teeth into her pancreas, giving her cancer. John's parents and his dad's church support him, but seem to really be focusing on his sister's health and helping her and her husband raise their daughter at this point. His brothers are much quieter on social media. I've seen them support their sister's health, but haven't seen much about John.

Rumor has it John was raised VF, and he was definitely homeschooled. His mother wears pants and nobody else in his family seem QF.

I just checked in on John's Facebook and he has extended and reissued that interminable Macedonian Call video. It is now closer to 14 minutes long than 10 and includes footage of a another "convert" called Gerard. So he now converted 4.5 people in Burundi not 3.5? I'm afraid we still can't count Eddie's wife as a full person.

John says this video made a pastor weep. It makes me weep too, but probably not for the same reason!

Look who turned up in the comments.

Cindy Marie Stacy I'm coming. Just waiting on God for the support. But I am coming.

Before you order what she is having for lunch, this must be the mysterious 3rd member of TeamZambia. IIRC, she is single and a teacher. OK ...

I was reading the Lockwell blog...and wow,I don't think they have a right to try and interfere with what the gov't is teaching it's citizens there..to try and be responsible,and only have as many kids as one can afford.They're clearly trying to reduce the poverty levels.And the Lockwells aren't Mexican citizens;even so,at least Mexico is trying to teach it's ppl how to be more responsible via birth control.Then along come the Lockwoods with flowery verses,encourging them to be irresponsible and just keep popping out babies mindlessly.And from some of the pics she's posted,I wouldn't want my dog to live in some of those slum areas,much less kids.Where's the common sense? it's missing.totally.

I was reading the Lockwell blog...and wow,I don't think they have a right to try and interfere with what the gov't is teaching it's citizens there..to try and be responsible,and only have as many kids as one can afford.They're clearly trying to reduce the poverty levels.And the Lockwells aren't Mexican citizens;even so,at least Mexico is trying to teach it's ppl how to be more responsible via birth control.Then along come the Lockwoods with flowery verses,encourging them to be irresponsible and just keep popping out babies mindlessly.And from some of the pics she's posted,I wouldn't want my dog to live in some of those slum areas,much less kids.Where's the common sense? it's missing.totally.

The Lockwoods are certainly their own brand of crazy irresponsibility and I agree with what you said above. However, Daniel became a Mexican citizen in 2009 (it took 3 years after the application) and the youngest 4 children (from Noah on down) have dual citizenship because they were born in Mexico. It would be hard for Mexico to boot them out now.

THis was one of the issues I always had with Mother Teresa and her time in Calcutta. From what I read, she was dead set against birth control, other than NFP-- which is not a true option in certain cultures and certain relationships where women are not really allowed to say "no" to sex.

Interesting...on the 5th, John posted on facebook about 'trying to affect a change in a situation I had no control over.' I wonder what's been going wrong...please, please let it be that he can't afford to take the wife and kids to Burundi yet...

Interesting...on the 5th, John posted on facebook about 'trying to affect a change in a situation I had no control over.' I wonder what's been going wrong...please, please let it be that he can't afford to take the wife and kids to Burundi yet...

Maybe the Dr put Esther on the no-fly list.

I was hoping he was feeling just a little guilty for sponging off so many people....

I read it more as John pushing to get visas faster or plane licence without meeting all the criteria and getting annoyed when he couldn't cut corners. John thinks he is on a special mission and seems to think everyone should recognise this. He wouldn't be too happy if people made him follow rules and it cost him money or delayed his plans. I doubt it is anything to do with Esther. I don't she and the kids mean enough to him to warrant an entire post.

I read it more as John pushing to get visas faster or plane licence without meeting all the criteria and getting annoyed when he couldn't cut corners. John thinks he is on a special mission and seems to think everyone should recognise this. He wouldn't be too happy if people made him follow rules and it cost him money or delayed his plans. I doubt it is anything to do with Esther. I don't she and the kids mean enough to him to warrant an entire post.

I think it has to do with this trip to Zambia too. He really doesn't care about his wife and kids nearly as much as he does his mission to save the already saved but not right kind of Christian Zambians.

He says this is something he has no control over so it probably does have to do with getting visas. But he really should have submitted the paperwork before he went and bought their one way plane tickets.

What will they do if the paperwork doesn't come through before they have to leave? Could they travel as tourists and not "work", just sit around? I hope he purchased travel insurance. I don't think the supporting churches will be happy if he looses over 8k in plane tickets...

What will they do if the paperwork doesn't come through before they have to leave? Could they travel as tourists and not "work", just sit around? I hope he purchased travel insurance. I don't think the supporting churches will be happy if he looses over 8k in plane tickets...

Travel insurance doesn't always cover cancel for any reason. If he cancels due to illness, death to traveler or in the family, employment issues (which doesn't apply to him cuz he doesn't have a job) that's one thing, but if he cancels cuz he doesn't have his ducks in a row for the visas he's out of luck. He could change the departure but he would have to pay penalties plus difference in airfare. Delta which is the airline I usually deal with at work charges a change fee $200/ticket.

Travel insurance doesn't always cover cancel for any reason. If he cancels due to illness, death to traveler or in the family, employment issues (which doesn't apply to him cuz he doesn't have a job) that's one thing, but if he cancels cuz he doesn't have his ducks in a row for the visas he's out of luck. He could change the departure but he would have to pay penalties plus difference in airfare. Delta which is the airline I usually deal with at work charges a change fee $200/ticket.

If he's having probs getting his visas in time and does have travel insurance he could probably use his wife's current pregnancy. That's what I would do in his position. I mean what doctor would be 'Sure! It's totes no prob for your very pregnant wife to endure an 18 hour plane ride and then give birth in Zambia!'

If he's having probs getting his visas in time and does have travel insurance he could probably use his wife's current pregnancy. That's what I would do in his position. I mean what doctor would be 'Sure! It's totes no prob for your very pregnant wife to endure an 18 hour plane ride and then give birth in Zambia!'

Oops forgot Esther's pg. But if he purchased the tickets after she got pregnant/found out that would be a pre-existing condition he would have to purchase the insurance within a certain time frame (15 days for Travelguard, 21 for TravelSafe). Although I don't think a Dr will lie if Esther is capable of traveling. And if John did purchase insurance with medical coverage he would have to specify when they are returning home. I'll have to ask my boss if medical coverage is included on one-way fares.

Sounds like it was a visa issue. From FB: Our paperwork for our visas was submitted by a national pastor today in Zambia! Getting excited!! Please pray for a three week approval instead of a 3 month one. (They said it should only take 3 weeks, but...TIZ [This is Zambia])

He must have "cleaned house" again. I don't see anything on his public FB page other than a few pictures.....

:o He sure is sensitive!! :wink-kitty:

He must have "cleaned house" again. I don't see anything on his public FB page other than a few pictures.....

:o He sure is sensitive!! :wink-kitty:

Yes. He's apparently wiped it again. Perhaps not all is going well for TeamZambia.

One can but hope.

I follow John on Facebook. Often I see his posts on my news feed but when I go to his page I can't see them. I go back to my news feed and they are still visible. Not sure why this happens.

I wonder if he even has travel insurance. I'd bet he's too cheap, and, anyway, it's up to GOD!

A lot of people don't get travel insurance. I get that it's a couple hundred dollars extra, but if something happens, you'll have the potential to be out thousands with out it. We vacation in a hurricane area every year and we purchase it with every rental. In 2011 when hurricane Irene went through the day before we were supposed to start our vacation and we couldn't get to our rental until mid-week. The insurance covered hotel stay and food reimbursements for my family, my best friend, and her family (we had rented a house together)and a portion of the rental. It would have paid for the rental if we couldn't get there at all. We always get it. You just never know!

Yes. He's apparently wiped it again. Perhaps not all is going well for TeamZambia.

One can but hope.

It's still "blank"..... :o What happens to trip his trigger, any ideas??? Do people send him private messages that bruise his fragile ego? I haven't seen anything "negative" posted on his newsfeed. Though, I guess he could delete them.... :think:

Archived