IGNORED

Burden to Burundi, Zealous for Zambia

Palimpsest

Please, John, not even Esther wants to think about your loins.

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

maybe it's the skirts ;)

They could do it against the back of their trailer when the kids are asleep, lol :D She would just have to drop her underwear and lift her skirt up.

Somehow that doesn't seem very fundie though.

They are still in Mexico and she recently had a post about how not being able to feed another child isn't a reason to stop popping out babies. :roll: Children are a blessing!!!!!!!!!!!

Women who receive government benefits there go to monthly meeting where they learn the horrible idea that they can make decisions for themselves and they don't have to do whatever their husband tell them to do. This is very, very bad according to the Lockwoods. The women are even told that they can get jobs without their husband's permission.

And there have been times when her kids have not had shoes because they couldn't afford them, but by golly she thinks kids are a blessing and she would rather have kids who don't have shoes than not have a bunch of kids.

She has also been criticized for not being able to help in the ministry because of all the kids she has but she says caring for the kids is serving the Lord and that is her ministry. I thought it was being a parent. Who knew I was a missionary. :think:

:doh:

They could do it against the back of their trailer when the kids are asleep, lol :D She would just have to drop her underwear and lift her skirt up.

Somehow that doesn't seem very fundie though.

:brain-bleach:

John also uses the tautological argument that because "the universal sign for restrooms" is a man in pants and a woman in a skirt women are condemned to wear skirts in perpetuity. Also, women in "slacks" cause men to wear skirts? :? Tell that to the Scots, John! Men in kilts ... swoons.

They are still in Mexico and she recently had a post about how not being able to feed another child isn't a reason to stop popping out babies. :roll: Children are a blessing!!!!!!!!!!!

Women who receive government benefits there go to monthly meeting where they learn the horrible idea that they can make decisions for themselves and they don't have to do whatever their husband tell them to do. This is very, very bad according to the Lockwoods. The women are even told that they can get jobs without their husband's permission.

And there have been times when her kids have not had shoes because they couldn't afford them, but by golly she thinks kids are a blessing and she would rather have kids who don't have shoes than not have a bunch of kids.

She has also been criticized for not being able to help in the ministry because of all the kids she has but she says caring for the kids is serving the Lord and that is her ministry. I thought it was being a parent. Who knew I was a missionary. :think:

Yes, the Lockwoods are very like the Shraders. IIRC, a lot of their children were born in Mexico (they didn't start out there with 12) and Jaynee had a hysterectomy after the last child. The took Mexican (dual?) citizenship a couple of years ago but still return to the US for necessary medical care. Mexico is closer than Zambia, thank goodness.

Esther should read Jaynee's blog and learn from it. Jaynee seems like a woman who is exhausted and depressed 90% of the time -- and understandably so. The other 10% of the time she woffles on about ministry, worship and God's grace as if she took too many uppers.

When Jaynee is depressed and overwhelmed her nitwit of her husband just preaches at her that joy comes from within and that she should examine her soul. Or some such bull shit. :angry-banghead:

We've discussed that very thing before, I think resulting from John posting a list of common food/household items you'd buy in the US and their corresponding cost in Zambia. Most items were 3-10x more expensive...which is why the people in Zambia don't buy expensive imported "luxury" items like breakfast cereal and canned soda. They grow/raise their own food and eat what can be produced locally or nearby, and of course many of them don't get enough of anything to eat. But what most people consider to be chronic hunger and starvation, John considers a diet plan :roll:

To be fair, the list was from David Rea not John. I doubt John can do percentages. David is John's partner in Team Zambia.

David Rea seems to have deleted it from the TeamZambia site since we last snarked on it (Hi David! :) ) but I found it back on the John Shrader in Burundi thread. David replaced it by a short statement saying that they realized that food in Zambia would be different but they know how to cook from scratch and grow things.

Here is the original list. The spelling is all David Rea's.viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18333&p=601394

Average cost of Zambian Products compared to the USA: 193.76% higher

Cost Comparison between the USA and Zambia.

Methodology: Pictures were taken of common items our family would purchase and use on a daily basis. The pictures recorded the sales labels at Shoprite in Ndola, Zambia

Zambia USA Percentage

Shoprite Wal-Mart Diffence

Price Per Pound of Butter $5.13 $2.74 187.13%

Price Per Gallon of Milk $5.64 $2.89 195.29%

Great Value PB (40oz) $7.06 $5.24 134.76%

2# block of cheese $13.31 $5.96 223.31%

4# frozen Chicken $5.86 $3.84 152.60%

Ground beef (bulk/lb) $3.86 $2.88 134.15%

Price per Gallon (apple) $9.27 $4.48 206.87%

3# honeydew mellon $8.37 $2.99 280.02%

Oranges per pound $2.41 $0.98 245.83%

1 Gallon Cooking Oil $9.70 $6.58 147.37%

Bell pepers 3 $4.76 $2.88 165.28%

Tomatoes $0.62 $1.18 52.39%

Eggs (2 dozen) $3.90 $2.88 135.56%

Colgate toothpaste (6.4oz) $4.96 $1.25 396.65%

Tresemme Shampoo (32oz) 14.39 3.37 427.11%

Katchup (64oz) 11.99 3.98 301.27%

Mayonaise (22oz) 2.63 3.24 81.12%

Great Value Pinto (8lb) 11.62 8.24 141.04%

Corn Flakes (24 oz) 5.17 3.28 157.57%

Great Value Sugar (10lb) 5.78 5.58 103.62%

Canned Peas (15oz) 3.92 1.68 233.40%

Ge 60W light bulbs (4) 2.72 1.99 136.68%

Great Value Paper Towels (8pk) 14.88 6.84 217.54%

Snark on!

When Jaynee is depressed and overwhelmed her nitwit of her husband just preaches at her that joy comes from within and that she should examine her soul. Or some such bullshit.

And we learned just last week that starvation is not all that painful, so if they do actually starve, per God's will, it won't hurt, at least according to Ken.

Isn't Colgate toothpaste a brand product? Can't they buy a cheaper version?

lol @ katchup and mellon, reminds me of LotR.

To be fair, the list was from David Rea not John. I doubt John can do percentages. David is John's partner in Team Zambia.

David Rea seems to have deleted it from the TeamZambia site since we last snarked on it (Hi David! :) ) but I found it back on the John Shrader in Burundi thread. David replaced it by a short statement saying that they realized that food in Zambia would be different but they know how to cook from scratch and grow things.

Here is the original list. The spelling is all David Rea's.http://www.freejinger.org/forums/viewto ... 3&p=601394

Snark on!

God knows, even a missionary giving it all for Jesus in Zambia shouldn't be expected to sacrifice his Tresemme shampoo!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Isn't Colgate toothpaste a brand product? Can't they buy a cheaper version?

lol @ katchup and mellon, reminds me of LotR.

The spelling is - interesting - and the list extravagant but I'm still shocked by the fact that he failed to price staples like cream of crap soup and tater tots. Then there is the canned peas. :ew:

And we learned just last week that starvation is not all that painful, so if they do actually starve, per God's will, it won't hurt, at least according to Ken.

:angry-banghead:

I don't know, the Lockwoods don't bother me as much as the Shraders. Yes, they are clearly not right in the head but their kids always look happy and well fed and they have a nice house. Also they appear to actually be doing something over there. They've built a church, help out families in need in the community, etc. I just don't see the Shraders ever doing that.

When Mom Lockwood had her crazy miscarriage down there though I thought for sure she'd die. They were begging for people to donate blood on their blog, anyone remember that? I cannot imagine being in a 3rd world country and pregnant and not just that but also having a pregnancy complication like she did. I think it was a "blessing" that she had to have a hysterectomy though!

I don't know, the Lockwoods don't bother me as much as the Shraders. Yes, they are clearly not right in the head but their kids always look happy and well fed and they have a nice house. Also they appear to actually be doing something over there. They've built a church, help out families in need in the community, etc. I just don't see the Shraders ever doing that.

When Mom Lockwood had her crazy miscarriage down there though I thought for sure she'd die. They were begging for people to donate blood on their blog, anyone remember that? I cannot imagine being in a 3rd world country and pregnant and not just that but also having a pregnancy complication like she did. I think it was a "blessing" that she had to have a hysterectomy though!

The Lockwoods seem "nicer" than John Shrader but they are still doling out the koolade in massive proportions and their theology is as poisonous as John's. Jaynee does come over as very sweet and the kids look cared for and loved -- if shoeless, occasionally hungry, and able to "find" money miraculously in fields when funds have been mysteriously lost from parental wallets. Yeah, right! :lol:

I certainly remember Jaynee's dreadful miscarriage and both Daniel and Jaynee posting here at FJ. They were polite and thanked us for our concern -- and promised to pray for us damaged and hurt women to find Jesus as I recollect. :wink-kitty:

I hope they will at least use common sense and bring as many items as they can w them,like shampoo.toothpaste,etc.,initially.

And why do they have things like chicken and eggs on the list? I think John did capture a couple of chickens and bike them back while footing,didn't he? or something like that.lol.so it can be done.

As much as I dislike the Lockwoods, they still aren't as bad as John Schrader. For a start they're happy to live on tortillas and beans. They don't expect other ppl to buy their expensive American style groceries. Or planes. Or 70 grand worth of new car.

As much as I dislike the Lockwoods, they still aren't as bad as John Schrader. For a start they're happy to live on tortillas and beans. They don't expect other ppl to buy their expensive American style groceries. Or planes. Or 70 grand worth of new car.

I bought two new cars in 2008 that didn't even cost half of $70,000.00 and my husband and I both work.

But, but, but ... John is super-speshul! !!!!1111Eleventy!!!1111!!!!

I agree about the Lockwoods. They are not greedy but more ... dangerously naive. The similarities are in the beliefs, the proseletyzing and not much else to contribute in Mexico, the big family and the determined baby-making until Jaynee was near to death.

I've always thought that missionary would be very good at many different things to make it possible to live in another country, especially in a developing country, cheaply. I would imagine that a missionary should be able to do his own mechanical repairs on his car and would therefore be able to buy a used truck and save money in any repair costs. He has also asked for prayers that they find a mechanic for his plane and I'm sure he'll expect that he will work for free.

To me, JOhn seems to have a very romantic notion of what a missionary will be. He seems to think that he will be flying out to the lost tribes in Africa and driving in these muddy roads to convert the heathens to Christianity. Everyone will look up to his as some type of white prophet. He romaticizes the hardships for the harsh environment and how he will get through it but does not seem to understand how the day to day grind of a missionary can be discouraging and exhausting.

My guess is that he will rent a place in a city, the house will be a nice house and not what your average citizen will have and excuse it to the world as he needs to keep Esther and the children in a safe place while he goes out into the bush. They will get a few chickens and plant a little garden to show his investors that "Hey, we are saving money. Look at us, we are homesteading and are so rustic". John will spend most of his time in the city and will occassionally go out into the "bush" to get a few photo-ops to send home and brag about how many people he has saved. The plane will barely be used. Just my projections!

Meeka, I agree with most of your projections. I only differ in that I think John will dump Esther and the kids in the house in town and then take off trying to emulate Livingstone. He is full of zeal and missionary fervor, irresponsible to the core, and bored with being a family man at this point. He'd rather fly his plane!

Esther will be left alone to struggle with keeping the family safe and fed and taking care of the chickens and garden in Kafue, while he is off being a manly man. He'll be preaching, teaching, discipling, pontificating and then coming home exhausted with a bad back, dysentery, malaria, or a crisis of faith, and asking to be looked after like another child.

Or he'll get himself killed in action, so to speak. His complete lack of cultural sensitivity is going to put him at risk as he bulldozes his way around Sub-Saharan Africa. He won't always have Bro. Douglas to head him off from trouble, or David Rea to keep him reined in, as they did to a certain extent in Burundi.

Or he'll get himself killed in action, so to speak. His complete lack of cultural sensitivity is going to put him at risk as he bulldozes his way around Sub-Saharan Africa. He won't always have Bro. Douglas to head him off from trouble, or David Rea to keep him reined in, as they did to a certain extent in Burundi.

I think his lack of cultural sensitivity will get him into trouble. I think the thing that kills him will be the plane falling out of the sky. Unless he picks up some bug that gets him airlifted to a first world hospital at great expense before he manages to crash his plane.

I'm slightly obsessed with the plane, I know, but who's supposed to be servicing that thing? I can sort of understand why he'd want a reliable vehicle*, but as hard as it might be to find parts for a car, I should imagine it would be a damn sight harder to find parts for a plane.

*Although, there's probably some worth to the argument that it's better to find a very basic, second hand troop carrier in S Africa. Something that's easy to service and and find second hand parts for locally. He's going to a city of a quarter of a million ppl, not a village a million miles from anywhere.

The plane thing will end very poorly I think. I foresee him for sure crashing it at some point. Whether or not that ends in death who knows but there will not be a happy ending with the plane.

The plane thing worries me to the core. And it is totally nuts. If John wants to convert the masses he should take local buses and concrete boats until he gets a better idea of the people and territory he wants to convert. It will be so much cheaper and less risky.

John is praying for a mechanic. He has not arranged for one but the plane is there. And John really wants to be a flyboy. He'll take off ASAP because the LORD is with him. Permits and licences be damned! Landing strips in remote areas will miraculously appear. Does he have any concept of the difficulties of this?

John Shrader, the inexperienced pilot who only just got his pilot's licence (if he even passed it) takes off in a second-hand plane without adequate maintenance after it has been rotting on the tarmac in Zambia for over a year. He is likely to kill innocent people other than himself when he attempts a landing if you ask me!

The plane is even more idiotic than the troop carrier, although both are insanely needy of gas. Paid for by others, of course.

I'm willing to bet that the brand new "Troupie" gets stolen within weeks of its arrival in Zambia. And John will wail about Satan at work ...

Most missionaries that I remember moved to the mission field and were there for several years learning more about what they actually need before they started asking for the big stuff like planes and brand new vehicles. John hasn't even gotten his work permits or visas yet and he wants it all.

Archived