IGNORED

Raquel's latest

merrily

I hate it when people use bits of other languages to "spell" their names. Not only does it look stupid, it reads something like

(unit of measurement)muQtsmoré (strange) Thtsmu(unit of measurement)imo(hair)

My mistake on that last character. I must say this version is even funnier. :lol:

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calvinism is a type of Protestantism. The major thing they're known for is the tenant of predestination - it was determined before you were born whether you'd be a member of the damned or elect (i.e., whether you are going to hell or not). The "protestant ethic", if you've heard the term, is associated with Calvinism - they're so concerned about the state of their salvation (since there's no way to know if you are a member of the elect or the damned while you're alive) that they work really hard to try to prove to themselves and to others they are the elect (underlying idea that success on earth is representative of God's favor - surely the elect wouldn't be poor and suffering?)

My knowledge is more historical, since I learned it mostly from history & sociology classes. Not sure how different current-day Calvinists are from earlier generations.

But predestination doesn't fall in line with the whole reason Jesus came to earth, does it? If we are all predestined, then what's the point of doing all the right things? To that effect, if Raquel was destined to go to heaven, but Jana Duggar wasn't, wouldn't that mean they could do whatever they wanted and it wouldn't matter?

They think that Jesus's death atoned only for the sins of the elect.

My understanding is that they feel a member of the elect would not choose to sin/is guided by God to do the right thing. So if you are behaving in a way that they feel is immoral, it proves you are damned. As such, it's more that God has foreknowledge of your behavior and character such that you would never be saved if you weren't a good/holy person.

There's a lot of "holier than thou" with a side dish of anxiety ("I'm pretty sure I'm saved and therefore amazing and wonderful... but what if I'm not?!"). Again, the protestant ethic is based around the idea that Calvinists are super self-conscious and trying to prove they are saved, not just to others but also to themselves.

But predestination doesn't fall in line with the whole reason Jesus came to earth, does it? If we are all predestined, then what's the point of doing all the right things? To that effect, if Raquel was destined to go to heaven, but Jana Duggar wasn't, wouldn't that mean they could do whatever they wanted and it wouldn't matter?

It's never made any sense to me either. I think if you questioned many mainstream PCA Presbyterians about predestination they'd equivocate. (At least the ones I know do.)

Well then. If it is true, then wouldn't Raquel's sexting automatically mean she isn't a member of the elect, since she chose to sin? Or is it Jesus died for her sin because she is elect?

God that's confusing. If you are elect and choose not to sin and are guided by God to do the right thing, what sins did Jesus need to die for?

Why does it not surprise me that Raquel chooses to identify with a denomination that supports her belief that she is special and one of the elect?

Well then. If it is true, then wouldn't Raquel's sexting automatically mean she isn't a member of the elect, since she chose to sin? Or is it Jesus died for her sin because she is elect?

God that's confusing. If you are elect and choose not to sin and are guided by God to do the right thing, what sins did Jesus need to die for?

I'm with you, makes no sense to me. I think the rationalization is that mankind is inclined towards sin, evil, etc. due to the fall, but that Jesus came so that some special snowflakes could be saved. These are the elect. Who are slightly less depraved than the rest of us, since they are elect.

Or something.

Calvinism has always confused my atheist-who-was-raised-Catholic self.

I'm guessing Raquel would think sexting is no where near the awfulness the rest of us non-elect people commit.

Once again, I'm not the most familiar with Calvinism, so I'm sure someone has a better explanation of Calvinist soteriology.

I only learned about it recently (here) and no, it doesn't make any sense. Now I think about it somewhat frequently and it bothers me. Especially all those "damned" babies who die and they think go to hell.

Fun fact: Ben seewald is a passionate Calvinist. The duggars are not; they believe anyone who accepts Jesus is saved. I'd really like to know how they reconcile this.

I'm with you, makes no sense to me. I think the rationalization is that mankind is inclined towards sin, evil, etc. due to the fall, but that Jesus came so that some special snowflakes could be saved. These are the elect. Who are slightly less depraved than the rest of us, since they are elect.

Or something.

Calvinism has always confused my atheist-who-was-raised-Catholic self.

I'm guessing Raquel would think sexting is no where near the awfulness the rest of us non-elect people commit.

Once again, I'm not the most familiar with Calvinism, so I'm sure someone has a better explanation of Calvinist soteriology.

I have talked at length with someone about Calvinism/Reformed Theology and it is steeped in elitism and cliqueishness (new word). He made it seem like that life is this beautiful painting and God has even predestined sin. When I argued that this defeats the purpose of Jesus, he resorted to (like other Calvinists I've talked with) to my error in doubting God's Sovereignty. When I explain that our free will does not contradict His sovereignty because He gave us that choice, he'd just start hurling Augustine quotes that made no sense at all. This guy admitted, though, that people in Reformed circles like all their little "reformed-isms" for lack of a better term - the drunken parties, the Calvin/Augustine/Chesterton trifecta whose writings are quoted more than the Bible, the creepily loyal following and admiration of elders and the equal hatred of elder's kids, etc.

I only learned about it recently (here) and no, it doesn't make any sense. Now I think about it somewhat frequently and it bothers me. Especially all those "damned" babies who die and they think go to hell.

Fun fact: Ben seewald is a passionate Calvinist. The duggars are not; they believe anyone who accepts Jesus is saved. I'd really like to know how they reconcile this.

That's interesting to know about Ben.

That's interesting to know about Ben.

But Nathaniel Darnell told us that they agreed upon all theology! Bahahaaaa :dance:

Good things come in pink boxes! She's provided many snacks for the band mate Cody. Where's the other dude?

post-9860-14451998718684_thumb.jpg

"You may not get married till your 78! Or you may get married next year"

Or you may never get married at all because your obsessive behavior scares all men away and you end up with stacks of letters to a person that never existed.

Won't someone think of the TREES!!!!! :shifty-kitty:

I feel sorry for the girl who not only wants to write a theoretical human being and not only is asking people for tips but she feels she should ask Raquel :D

You already feel sorry for Raquel, so you probably have your bases covered ;)

Good things come in pink boxes! She's provided many snacks for the band mate Cody. Where's the other dude?

"with the bandmate cody"

Not my bandmate cody or my friend cody or just cody. The bandmate cody. That's such an odd turn of phrase when referring to a person. I'm going to have an evening in with THE remote and watch some tv. I'm going to go for a walk with THE dog (that could also be my, but saying the there wouldn't be unusual).

It makes bandmate cody almost sound like a possession vs a person

"with the bandmate cody"

Not my bandmate cody or my friend cody or just cody. The bandmate cody. That's such an odd turn of phrase when referring to a person. I'm going to have an evening in with THE remote and watch some tv. I'm going to go for a walk with THE dog (that could also be my, but saying the there wouldn't be unusual).

It makes bandmate cody almost sound like a possession vs a person

She is having sweets and movies with one of the two bandmates. Has there been any song posted, yet, by this "band"? Or is this all just some way to "date" without "dating" .

Will there be cuddling.....

bleh

She is having sweets and movies with one of the two bandmates. Has there been any song posted, yet, by this "band"? Or is this all just some way to "date" without "dating" .

Will there be cuddling.....

bleh

I think it is a way to date without dating. Obsessive homeschool girls have to do it all the time.

In the cases I've seen, they pick a creative pursuit, a band is an obvious one, but I've seen worse, including but not limited to jongleur troupes. Anyways, in Raquel's case, I would assume she and this Cody would be allowed to date/court whatever they do, but I think he just doesn't wanna make a move :drool:

Is she really so naive that she doesn't catch the TWO double entendres on the donut box?

Is she really so naive that she doesn't catch the TWO double entendres on the donut box?

Considering the picture she posted of her lap the other day, she probably picked the donut box because of those statements.

So her brother asked her to pray with him and before she did she set up her camera to take a picture of them praying or she handed it to someone else and told them to take a picture of them praying. The Pharisees would have been all over this idea.

Not only that, the focus is literally all on her. Her poor little brother is all fuzzy.

Maybe tomorrow night will be a movie night with the other band member. Playing the field

Easier to play the field than the guitar.... :music-guitarred:

Not only that, the focus is literally all on her. Her poor little brother is all fuzzy.

I did that with photo edit to protect his privacy

Archived