IGNORED

R.C. Sproul Believes In Head Covering?

debrand

We've discussed him here and maybe I am getting him confused with someone else. Didn't his daughter come on this site after her mother died?

Anyway, The Friendly Atheists has a quote from R.C Sproul

The wearing of fabric head coverings in worship was universally the practice of Christian women until the twentieth century. What happened? Did we suddenly find some biblical truth to which the saints for thousands of years were blind? Or were our biblical views of women gradually eroded by the modern feminist movement that has infiltrated the Church?â€

patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/07/12/christian-fundies-find-another-thing-to-get-upset-about-uncovered-female-heads/

If he does, it's a new thing. Either that, or they've pulled a quote out of context (which I doubt).

Off to check...

ETA: I was wrong. He does believe in head covering but he believes in it more as a Pascalian Wager kind of thing. He's not sure whether the Biblical command is cultural or not so he errs on the side of caution (or rather, his wife did).

If he does, it's a new thing. Either that, or they've pulled a quote out of context (which I doubt).

Off to check...

Thanks

Whatever, plenty of Episcopal women still cover their heads in church

400px-JeffertsSchori.JPG

Like our Presiding Bishop, Dr. Katharine Jefferts Schori

Think that the Sproul quoted here is the father of R.C. Sproul, Jr. (who is/was a buddy of Doug Phillips Is A Tool) and the grandfather of Darby who has commented here.

Think that the Sproul quoted here is the father of R.C. Sproul, Jr. (who is/was a buddy of Doug Phillips Is A Tool) and the grandfather of Darby who has commented here.

Thank you. I got confused because I don't remember the current Sproul advocating women cover their hair but he could have gotten more extreme lately.

Thank you. I got confused because I don't remember the current Sproul advocating women cover their hair but he could have gotten more extreme lately.

Actually, I'm having trouble finding a source on the quote anywhere but the headcovering movement's site. It sounds more like something the son would say but maybe the dad is right there with him on that issue. Kind of interesting, because Sproul the elder is closely associated with the PCA church and even some of their more fundie churches aren't all that into headcovering.

Quickie Sproul field guide:

RC Sproul - He's revered as a theologian in reformed circles and associated with the PCA church. He's always struck me as more fundie-lite than hardcore fundie but you never know. I do know he has some ties to some of the more fundie churches in the reformed denominations, though (incl. the one from which I came).

RC Sproul, JR - This is the son (and father of Darby). He's more associated with the world of VF fundie. He wanted to be PCA, but they wouldn't take him and he has been pushed rightward down the denomination spectrum. I've never met him personally - unless he came with his father to my old church and I just didn't realize it - but I have read some of his writings. He's a smart guy and I can see why he has a big following, but his writing is a jarring assortment of insightful reading of the Bible and complete WTF. It's like he started off being brilliant and went awry somewhere in Dominionism.

Years ago I owned a little book on headcovering and there was either a quote or an endorsement from Sproul Sr. on it. I can't remember the title but I'm pretty sure it was from an Anabaptist/Mennonite publisher.

Archived