IGNORED

Fundies living off backs of others

Meeka

I often wondered while reading Fundies blogs how they would survive without others who do not follow their principles. They seem to believe that everyone should not use birth control and thus most people would end up with large families. Of everyone subscribed to this lifestyles, who would give to the thrift stores that they are so fond of? Large families generally don't give clothes to thrift store as the clothes is passed down until it is worn out.

Also, with groceries they advocate to buy only staples and loss leaders that give little to no profit to the stores. If everyone shopped like this the grocery stores would have to increase the prices on those items to survive.

They seem to only be able to financially succeed because others are making it possible all the wile condemning those how do not follow their lifestyle choices.

I often wondered while reading Fundies blogs how they would survive without others who do not follow their principles. They seem to believe that everyone should not use birth control and thus most people would end up with large families. Of everyone subscribed to this lifestyles, who would give to the thrift stores that they are so fond of? Large families generally don't give clothes to thrift store as the clothes is passed down until it is worn out.

Also, with groceries they advocate to buy only staples and loss leaders that give little to no profit to the stores. If everyone shopped like this the grocery stores would have to increase the prices on those items to survive.

They seem to only be able to financially succeed because others are making it possible all the wile condemning those how do not follow their lifestyle choices.

Interesting point. I don't see the fundies we focus on here as very charitable. I don't think I've ever read a blog post where a fundie mentions donating food to a food pantry, donating clothing, house goods, old baby stuff to local thrift stores, or cleaning up a local park. To the fundies, charity seems to be more about receiving (hi there, Kelly Crawford) and not giving.

I don't think most fundies really want everyone to believe like they do. If we all agreed with them and converted to fundieism, who would they feel superior to? That's the only way cults can survive; they have to be different, set apart, above, everyone else (in their own minds, of course). So as long as they have just enough followers and hangers-on to support their lifestyles (like the Maxwells), they're fine with the rest of us providing them with thrift shop clothes and loss leaders at the grocery stores.

Taking your very interesting idea a few steps further. There would only be mom and pop businesses, so all of the major corporations that provide much of the revenue and resources would be gone. The ebil government would be shut down so the infrastructures we all use would be decaying (worse than they are) and eventually fall into disrepair. There would only be volunteer police and firemen. No public schools or teachers. All colleges and universities would disappear because everyone would be taught at the kitchen table.

Everyone would make their own clothes because there would be no imports/mass production. Pretty soon there would be no electricity ..... and no more blogs. We would all return to growing our own food to survive. Fun times.

The problem is that fundies rarely think deeply enough of these issues. They live in a world of black and white, with little to no gray.

To them they would never think of the larger negative implications of their lifestyle spreading everywhere.

Taking your very interesting idea a few steps further. There would only be mom and pop businesses, so all of the major corporations that provide much of the revenue and resources would be gone. The ebil government would be shut down so the infrastructures we all use would be decaying (worse than they are) and eventually fall into disrepair. There would only be volunteer police and firemen. No public schools or teachers. All colleges and universities would disappear because everyone would be taught at the kitchen table.

Everyone would make their own clothes because there would be no imports/mass production. Pretty soon there would be no electricity ..... and no more blogs. We would all return to growing our own food to survive. Fun times.

In other words, walla! The 18th-19th century! Or the idealised version in their own minds, at any rate. :doh:

What gets me are the ones who resent or resist paying taxes and having health insurance. You know, stuff that Jesus Himself commanded and that responsible adults with families just do. But no, they're too special for that. Yet they'll blog to hell and back about the ineffective gummit if they blow a tire in a pot hole on the way to the Creation Museum. And they're grand masters at Internet begging when they need surgery or one of their kids is in NICU.

But then, no one ever said their logic was particularly sound or their sense of futurity was keen.

Also think what would happen if all the women left the workforce. What would happen to all these fundie women who will only see female obgyns?

Another thing that irks me is that fundies never seem to thank the people who do give to them in their time of need. It's always, "Praise be to God, he put these people in our lives right when we needed them!" or "God told them to support us/our kids/our ministry, thank you Jesus!" I don't almost never see thank-yous from fundies given directly to the benefactor who provides the favor.

I guess Free Agency doesn't factor too highly into the fundie way of thinking.

Not only to they live off the Thrift Stores, that someone gave to, find the cheapest food to feed their families, but they do not contribute to the tax base (Fed, state or local), however they want those services-NICU, free medical care, library, parks, roads, public safety etc. They are takers very rarely givers. Then we have to take into account that all their special snowflakes will start cycle all over again.

I just one of them say "THANKS" to the people that make their lifestyle possible-hard working, tax paying people.

Jim Bob Duggar has done exceptionally well for himself and his family still barely scraped by at times. Quiverfull family practices very often lead to poverty, so if everyone was Quiverfull there would be far less charity to go around. I bet forced spinsterhood would become a thing - people having to work to keep their siblings' families afloat.

Also, exactly how charitable are the Quiverfullers who aren't poor? I can't find anything about Bill Gothard or Doug Phillips is a tool giving back to their communities (selling their followers overpriced shit doesn't count). They both accept donations, of course...

Jim Bob Duggar has done exceptionally well for himself and his family still barely scraped by at times. Quiverfull family practices very often lead to poverty, so if everyone was Quiverfull there would be far less charity to go around. I bet forced spinsterhood would become a thing - people having to work to keep their siblings' families afloat.

Also, exactly how charitable are the Quiverfullers who aren't poor? I can't find anything about Bill Gothard or Doug Phillips is a tool giving back to their communities (selling their followers overpriced shit doesn't count). They both accept donations, of course...

Well Gothard I believe brags about living on a salary of less than $1,000 per month, drives old cars and wears suits off the racks .... (all while conveniently ignoring the fact that ATI pays for everything he has and does).

Another thing that irks me is that fundies never seem to thank the people who do give to them in their time of need. It's always, "Praise be to God, he put these people in our lives right when we needed them!" or "God told them to support us/our kids/our ministry, thank you Jesus!" I don't almost never see thank-yous from fundies given directly to the benefactor who provides the favor.

I guess Free Agency doesn't factor too highly into the fundie way of thinking.

I've often thought this - it's not "God providing!" - it's the people who are actually working hard and living and reproducing within their means that is providing!

(not to imply that it is bad that there are deserving people that want to work but can't for various reasons riding on the coattails of others - that's entirely different from the fundies who chose not to work)

They could not survive. They won't let their kids be police officers, firemen, EMT's, Doctors, Lawyers, or even serve in the military. Our country, or any country, could not survive without these functions.

They could not survive. They won't let their kids be police officers, firemen, EMT's, Doctors, Lawyers, or even serve in the military. Our country, or any country, could not survive without these functions.

Yep - they can only survive with the help of secular people.

Thing is a lot of these subcultures idolize periods in the past where their lifestyles WERE closer to the norm. Back in 1750, sure, doctors as we know them now weren't really existing, and high tech inventions like computers didn't exist so being a fundie who doesn't believe in schooling (or secular schooling) after age 13 wasn't such a handicap. But in 2013 it sure is, and you don't see those fundies foregoing modern technology or medical services.

I've often thought this - it's not "God providing!" - it's the people who are actually working hard and living and reproducing within their means that is providing!

(not to imply that it is bad that there are deserving people that want to work but can't for various reasons riding on the coattails of others - that's entirely different from the fundies who chose not to work)

QFT!

I've just started the Jeub book Love in the House, and they keep rattling off that BS about every third paragraph: 'Oh, God will provide!' 'Put how many kids you'll have in God's hands, because he'll never let you down, evar!!11eleventy!' 'No matter how bad you think it will get, Gawd will provide.'

When all the time, it's their neighbors giving them extra clothes, etc. And I've not once read them being grateful to these people--only to God. :roll:

Everyone has mentioned doctors, lawyers and similar jobs but I think there are two far more crucial industries that would cease; plastics and metal production.

Metal = massive mining operations. Plastic = oil = massive drilling operations. These are not family businesses! (More than half the people in my town ate employed, either directly or indirectly, by a mine.) We aren't just going back to the 18th-19th century but even further.

No computers for the fundy bloggers!

No computers to look up weird science theories :cracking-up:

Archived