IGNORED

I Read it so You Don't Have To: VF's Outreach Report

GenerationCedarchip

Dougie's latest report is out. The main story is his father's death and I won't snark on that too much because I think he genuinely does miss his dad. However, the story of how his father ended up with 10,000 grandchildren due to the ministry of VF (Dougie credits himself with inspiring everyone in fundiedom to breed like rabbits) is a bit much.

Then we move on to the Father-Daughter retreat which sounds like the Southern ice cream social to end all ice cream socials. Sounds like Scott Brown was there talking about how good daughters bring honor to their fathers. Apparently having Doug there via Skype was just all kinds of inspirational, too. :roll:

Oh, and the Botkins were there! AS and E gave a message described as telling girls, "not to get caught up with what personality or type of person they are, except for one: the person that God desires them to be." And given that Daddy was there talking about how dads could steer daughters down certain paths, I'm guessing there was a strong subtext of getting fathers to tell daughters what kind of person God wants them to be. That might just be the VF cynic in me, though.

And then - a report on the 17th Annual Titanic commemoration (they've been doing this for 17 YEARS? Seriously?!) Apparently one of the charter members, Wesley Strackbein, hosted a gathering at a Brazilian steakhouse in San Antonio and spoke on the nobility of manhood shown in the tragedy. This report closes by talking about how the men on the ship who sacrificed their lives were like Christ giving his life for the church. Isn't that laying it on a bit thick, there?

And then there are announcements for the upcoming Alaska "bootcamp", Father-Son Rendevous and the history tour(incl. a speech called "How FDR and the New Deal Enslaved America(!)) And of course your chance to subsidize a fancy Greek vacation for the Phillips clan!

So much snarkability in only a few pages. I got mine by mail (you can flee fundie but it won't flee you!) but you can also see it online: download.visionforum.com/downloads/Outreach-Report-May-2013.pdf

I'm too lazy to read this but I'm just going to take a shot in the dark and say it can be best summarized by:

**Doug Phillips is a Tool!**

post-76-1445199795225_thumb.jpg

How long can the Botkin sisters do these speeches before people start to ponder why they can't ever seem to find a husband?

Dear Dougie, please get lost in Alaska and take 17 years to make it back to civilization. Your dress up clothes won't get you far in the actual wilderness.

How long can the Botkin sisters do these speeches before people start to ponder why they can't ever seem to find a husband?

Dear Dougie, please get lost in Alaska and take 17 years to make it back to civilization. Your dress up clothes won't get you far in the actual wilderness.

I was going to suggest that a bear should eat him, but I wouldn't wish Doug Philips on any bear.

Doug Philips is a tool, the tooliest tool of them all.

I was going to suggest that a bear should eat him, but I wouldn't wish Doug Philips on any bear.

Doug Philips is a tool, the tooliest tool of them all.

The bear would probably spit him out. Not a fan of Dougie's special sauce.

viewtopic.php?f=8&p=498772#p498772

Is Vision forum still planning that trip to spit in the eyes of environmentalists by murdering a polar bear?

ps - Doug Phillips is a tool

17 years of Titanic commemoration? What the hell for? Why is Doug Philips is a Tool so obsessed with the Titanic?

17 years of Titanic commemoration? What the hell for? Why is Doug Philips is a Tool so obsessed with the Titanic?

The clothes. He really, really likes to dress up.

The clothes. He really, really likes to dress up.

And the money. He really, really likes the money.

And the Titanic is a perfect event for him to exploit for his two loves, clothes and money! He gets people to pay him to dress up.

Bingo. This.

I can see it now - A-S and E will have gray hair and age spots. Daddy will be long gone, replaced by a life-sized cardboard cutout. And they'll still show up at these conferences and make the exact same speeches, and people will still buy into the message, because the word "irony" doesn't exist in VF-land.

I can see it now - A-S and E will have gray hair and age spots. Daddy will be long gone, replaced by a life-sized cardboard cutout. And they'll still show up at these conferences and make the exact same speeches, and people will still buy into the message, because the word "irony" doesn't exist in VF-land.

I always kind of picture them ending up like the Baldwin Sisters from The Waltons. Alone, together forever still worshiping their dead daddy.

I always kind of picture them ending up like the Baldwin Sisters from The Waltons. Alone, together forever still worshiping their dead daddy.

But without the Recipe to give them solace. And at least poor Miss Emily had her memories of Ashley Longworth to look back on as well. The Botkin Sisters, nothing at all. :?

/never missed an episode of The Waltons

And the Titanic is a perfect event for him to exploit for his two loves, clothes and money! He gets people to pay him to dress up.

And because it occurred at a time when women had very few legal rights and there was very little mobility between social classes, just the way he wishes things still were.

And, oh, because Doug Phillips is a tool.

But without the Recipe to give them solace. And at least poor Miss Emily had her memories of Ashley Longworth to look back on as well. The Botkin Sisters, nothing at all. :?

/never missed an episode of The Waltons

I highly suspect AS or E have had a courter daddy chased away that they can pine over. But you're right, no recipe.

Doug can't lose as and e until someone else can take up the spokesdaughter torch...as soon as they are married, a lot of their pr activities won't be viewed as acceptable.

Dear Doug Phillips Who Is A Truly Egregious Tool: Please read this essay. It compares the Titanic and Lusitania disasters. The Titanic men were so courtly and shit (more or less) because the Titanic sank slowly, taking nearly three hours.

By contrast, the Lusitania, which sank only three years later, was submerged in 18 minutes. Lusitania passengers panicked, and--what a shock!-- did not use their tea party manners as Doug might have expected them to do.

The fundie obsession with the Titanic really pisses me off. Women and children first - sure, if they were first class women and children. The third class ones were left on their own. I'm sure The Tool and the other fundies who obsess over it choose to overlook that little detail.

Or else like Miss Havisham, but with no deserting bridegroom.

Is Vision forum still planning that trip to spit in the eyes of environmentalists by murdering a polar bear?

ps - Doug Phillips is a tool

....seriously?

....seriously?

Yes. They are planning on making a trip to kill a polar bear so that they can stick the middle finger up at environmentalists.

/hazardousjourneys.org/blog/2013/02/inaugural-expedition-dinner.php

The above site might have some new photos for twin and thoughtful to improve with their gracious comments.

The expedition assignments for 2013 will involve trekking to Cambodia’s dinosaur-etched temple, hunting a polar bear in the Arctic Circle, investigating the Giant Elephant Bird in Madagascar, exploring the “Lost World†of Venezuela, summiting a mountain in the Himalayas of Nepal, among numerous other outings. Phillips explained how that these expeditions fit into the three-part mission of the HJS: (1) to encourage biblical manhood; (2) to take prudent, faith-affirming risks that prove leadership through adversity; (3) and to further godly dominion.

Yes. They are planning on making a trip to kill a polar bear so that they can stick the middle finger up at environmentalists.

/hazardousjourneys.org/blog/2013/02/inaugural-expedition-dinner.php

The above site might have some new photos for twin and thoughtful to improve with their gracious comments.

Because, you know, the commandment is "thou shalt not kill, unless you're needlessly killing a bear, then killing is totally permitted."

*eyeroll*

Because, you know, the commandment is "thou shalt not kill, unless you're needlessly killing a bear, then killing is totally permitted."

*eyeroll*

They're not killing them (well, OK, they technically are). They're taking dominion over them because the LORD commands them to.

Plus, they get to dress up and have manly fellowship in exotic locations, far away from the wimminz.

Doug Phillips: :music-tool:

The fundie obsession with the Titanic really pisses me off. Women and children first - sure, if they were first class women and children. The third class ones were left on their own. I'm sure The Tool and the other fundies who obsess over it choose to overlook that little detail.

I'm not as up on this in my memory as I'd like to be, so I may have some of the details wrong, but the women and children first thing was a precaution. There wasn't a lot of panic in the early stages of the sinking. Some of the officers asked the captain if maybe it would be a good idea to start loading people into boats and suggested taking women and children, but it was advice, not a mandatory thing.

Early boats were lowered half empty because no one wanted to get off the big safe ship where their luggage was into the tiny little lifeboat unless they were actually in danger. They already were, they just didn't know it yet. Same problem for third class passengers. Many of the survivors report having had no idea the ship had even hit anything. Those who thought something was up were told there was no problem, no danger, just hang out in steerage where it was safe. They weren't afforded early access to lifeboats because, essentially, they weren't out on the first class deck getting in the way. The Titanic really wasn't an example of vindictive class warfare, it was a series of poor judgment calls and unfortunate consequences.

Archived